The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] NHL Return To Play Thread (24 team play off, 15 team draft lottery)

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, mll said:

That’s good. I feel better about having the Canucks in Edmonton than Vegas. 
Interesting to see players will have the option to opt out of return to play. Hopefully all of the Canucks are dedicated to the cause. 

Edited by Slegr
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I don't know why BC isn't getting any love. Especially according to the latest data.

Screenshot_20200701-045526_Chrome.jpg

These numbers don’t even tell the whole story. I hate it when they go by cases. Most of those are recovered. It’s ACTIVE cases that matter and BC as of yesterday only had 150!

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, mll said:

The NHLPA is actively involved in the hub city selection.  The league won't announce names without their approval.  The return to play and CBA extension is a joint effort by the NHL and NHLPA.  

These guys have rocks in their heads when it comes to wanting to go to Toronto. Makes no sense. High amounts of active cases that are relative to big US cities. Yes, makes sense coming to Canada but stay out of Ontario and Quebec!

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Slegr said:

That’s good. I feel better about having the Canucks in Edmonton than Vegas. 
Interesting to see players will have the option to opt out of return to play. Hopefully all of the Canucks are dedicated to the cause. 

While I want to see our team be successful, I won't be upset if any player chooses not to play this abbreviated end of season/playoff.  Everyone has to make the decision for themselves based on their individual circumstances and I respect that.  I'll be disappointed for sure, as it adds a bit of "what if" to the outcome, but first and foremost should be individual player safety and wellbeing, and that extends to their family as well.  

13 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

These guys have rocks in their heads when it comes to wanting to go to Toronto. Makes no sense. High amounts of active cases that are relative to big US cities. Yes, makes sense coming to Canada but stay out of Ontario and Quebec!

Calgary never volunteered to be a hub.  Don't think Montreal did either.  Winnipeg does not have the infrastructure to bring in 12 teams.

It left Vancouver, Edmonton and Toronto.  The NHL said from the get go that they needed the backbone of an NHL arena.  They don't have the time and money to bring non NHL rinks up to NHL standard - boards, locker rooms, cameras, ice etc.  It's a sanitisation issue too with 3 games per day.  Also the league probably wants things to run smoothly.  Current arena staff have the experience and understand how to run things at NHL standard.

Those remote locations also don't have the hotel standards the league is looking for and they aren't looking to have players spend hours in buses.  Edmonton was initially eliminated because players did not feel the hotels were up to the standards they are used to.  They've re-arranged things were now all players will be at the JW Marriott.

7 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I wonder if compliance buyouts are part of the new CBA as well.  Without one, the Canucks and a lot of NHL teams are in a heap of salary cap trouble.

Doesn't seem like it - would have been mentioned.  Several in media have already been saying some time ago that there's no interest - the owners don't want them per Friedman.  It would also increase escrow for players.  

Edited by mll
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, mll said:

Doesn't seem like it - would have been mentioned.  Several in media have already been saying some time ago that there's no interest - the owners don't want them per Friedman.  It would also increase escrow for players.  

The office GIF on GIFER - by Malak

17 hours ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

FYI there’s already a thread for this so I merged both threads. Cheers. 

If we're centralizing everything draft lottery related, could you make and embed a poll for which team (if we can't pick Vancouver) we would want most and least (separately) to have win the 1 OA pick?  Wouldn't want to put in all the effort just to have it locked.

33 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

If we're centralizing everything draft lottery related, could you make and embed a poll for which team (if we can't pick Vancouver) we would want most and least (separately) to have win the 1 OA pick?  Wouldn't want to put in all the effort just to have it locked.

Already a thread made:

4 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Truth be told...I'd rather EVERYONE stay out of BC at the moment.  I'm good wherever they play...but am not upset that it's not here.

I just want hockey.  Safe hockey.

The funny thing is that the safest hockey would likely be played in BC. However seeing that there's currently like a 6-10% infection rate of the players, perhaps it's best to not bring them here and potentially cause an outbreak. If there is an outbreak, I wouldn't our city to be marred with that. Doesn't look good that the NHL wanted to force us to change our rules for health and safety and I'm glad we didn't sell out for them.

• Cheers 2

50 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

More centralizing the redundant Return To Play Threads as opposed to the Draft Lottery Threads, but this existing thread sounds like what you described. 

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Shocked the NHLPA agreed to play in a dump like Edmonton.  I'd rather get COVID than spend 2 months in that hellhole.

Meh, it’s not like you can really enjoy each city like you normally would. Life in the bubble would be boring no matter where you are.

At least it sounds like Edmonton put in an effort to provide entertainment for players and their families.

• Upvote 2

So I have to ask - will all the employees of the hotel etc being staying in the bubble in Edmonton - you can protect the players and your families all you like by having them stay in the so-called bubble but if employees of the various employers involved are allowed to roam the city how exactly do you prevent an out break.

On 6/30/2020 at 6:40 PM, DADDYROCK said:

Whatever they do, they better make damn sure they quarantine AMERICANS,

That country is just infested with cases.Good job Trump Administration.

I said over a month ago,they were in for a world of pain and sure enough their Covid cases are soaring,and this isn't even the second wave yet.

Sorry but the truth hurts.

That is not how American politics work.  Enumeration places the responsibility on individual states and things like mandating a quarantine belongs to the governors.

And being said, most people down here could careless about spineless Canadians. It is so frustrating to listen to them. 

• Haha 1