The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] NHL Return To Play Thread (24 team play off, 15 team draft lottery)

Rate this topic

5 hours ago, mll said:

Burnside says multiple executives are worried that some of their players are not going to be responsible throughout this return to play.  

There you guys go.. 

Even NHL executives are thinking exactly what I'm thinking..

And when they notice how safe it is here they won't be able to sit inside. 

They will wear a hat or hoodie and a facemask and go for walks. No one will recognise them behind a mask and hoodie.

Edited by WHL rocks

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

There you guts go.. 

Even NHL executives are thinking exactly what I'm thinking..

And when they notice how safe it is here they won't be able to sit inside. 

They will wear a hat or hoodie and a facemask and go for walks. No one will recognise them behind a mask and hoodie.

Put a GPS chip in them and monitor their whereabouts, especially Auston Matthews and Virtanen.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Just read about the CBA negotiations for return to play/ future cap etc and this dozy stuck out at me. So, it's not exactly going back on the Luongo rule, but pretty much. Gotta love those crooked bleeping bleepstains.

• Players aged 35 and over can sign multi-year deals that are flat or ascending and there will be no cap hit if they retire before the deal is up (previously, the cap hit stayed no matter what).

come at me kelsey grammer GIF by HULU

Also caught my attn..wondered if they're trying to help teams like Minny & SJ get off the hook(horrible contracts for aging zombies)? Not yet, but watch this potentially toxic-idea evolve into something that benefits(mostly US teams) franchises who've spent like drunken sailors.

As well, spenders like the Laffs/Rags. can throw foolish $ at 35+ UFA's..does this help appease aging vets, who watch as bridge-RFA's are grabbing a larger portion of pie?

Didn't someone once ask if ya can please all the people all the time?!

***************************BIG QUESTION!***************************

What will they do for soon UFA's for this summer's play-ins/PO's? Why would they agree to risk health?

They've gotta throw this group a bone...

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Well technically it would not have affected the Luongo deal since he signed his before age 35.

The contract term limits and how much salary can go down from year to year will still be in place.

I understand the rule completely. It's just hilarious that players will now be allowed to retire before their term is up and the team that signed will not be penalized.

Aren't we the only team with a cap recapture penalty?

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Also caught my attn..wondered if they're trying to help teams like Minny & SJ get off the hook(horrible contracts for aging zombies)? Not yet, but watch this potentially toxic-idea evolve into something that benefits(mostly US teams) franchises who've spent like drunken sailors.

As well, spenders like the Laffs/Rags. can throw foolish $ at 35+ UFA's..does this help appease aging vets, who watch as bridge-RFA's are grabbing a larger portion of pie?

Didn't someone once ask if ya can please all the people all the time?!

What will they do for soon UFA's for this summer's play-ins/PO's? Why would they agree to risk health?

It only applies to new contracts, but I think we're bound to see some ridiculously backloaded contracts signed soon and a bunch of old vets hanging out on Robidas Island in 3-4yrs time.

Edited by luckylager
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, luckylager said:

I understand the rule completely. It's just hilarious that players will now be allowed to retire before their term is up and the team that signed will not be penalized.

I get that and I think the Luongo rule is bogus but I don’t see the connection.

Luongos contract was clearly signed with the intention to lower his cap hit (within the rules)

Signing players after the age of 35 (although risky) should not come with a penalty if they retire early.

I have no problem with them doing this. The Luongo recapture penalty is a whole other argument IMO.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Oh God, I don't know how they're ever going to pull this thing off.  I won't believe there'll be a return to hockey until...there actually is.  It seems really difficult to do with the ever changing statuses.

Just now, Slegr said:

Put a GPS chip in them and monitor their whereabouts, especially Auston Matthews and Virtanen.

Lol..

Players will never go for that. 

And if they are going to party at clubs last week any one who thinks all players will be locked up in a hotel and follow protocol 100% are incredibly naive.  

12 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Oh God, I don't know how they're ever going to pull this thing off.  I won't believe there'll be a return to hockey until...there actually is.  It seems really difficult to do with the ever changing statuses.

Yeah, I’m thinking we don’t see a return to hockey until there is a vaccine. It’s getting too complicated now.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

I've resigned myself to the fact that it probably won't get done....I'm ok with that if it's to protect players and their families.  No need to rush something then have regrets...make sure it's completely ok to move forward.

4 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Yeah, I’m thinking we don’t see a return to hockey unless there is vaccine. It’s getting too complicated now.

Why does the NBA keep pushing ahead despite similar outbreaks?

The NHL will follow suit.

28 minutes ago, luckylager said:

We would have been fine if Luongo went on LTIR like other teams players with similar contracts did instead of retiring. 

• Cheers 4

20 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

For financial purposes, every pro sport has to push to come back. If owners don’t, things are dire. But it’s been clear to anyone with a working brain that cases were bound to increase. Players and the league will just have to accept the fact that this is par for the course if they continue forward and are intent on starting sooner rather than later.

I'm thinking all of the American players should get here asap, it's not safe in the US. I wonder how many players who are infected are Canadian? I miss hockey so much and I'm a little skeptical with it returning. It sounds like they're going ahead with it, but there's no real plan unveiled yet, I don't believe. How many players will have to miss these playoffs because of the virus? A bunch of Blues players have it, so maybe more will? Then what, STL can't ice an NHL team to defend their title? Just so weird. Y'know, maybe this year, the team with the most Canadians wins.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

I'm thinking all of the American players should get here asap, it's not safe in the US. I wonder how many players who are infected are Canadian? I miss hockey so much and I'm a little skeptical with it returning. It sounds like they're going ahead with it, but there's no real plan unveiled yet, I don't believe. How many players will have to miss these playoffs because of the virus? A bunch of Blues players have it, so maybe more will? Then what, STL can't ice an NHL team to defend their title? Just so weird. Y'know, maybe this year, the team with the most Canadians wins.

They should have never been practicing in a public facility, that was their first mistake. It’s not enough of a controlled area, and the public had just used it. I’m thinking that will be addressed in short order.

Teams in bad areas should have been looking to hold their training camps in other states as well.

Like you said the sooner they get the players up here and in the bubble the better they’ll be. This part of the return to play process is too unregulated.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

I don't see it being much different than them playing in the playoffs any other year. They risk their health (could break a bone, get a concussion, etc) anyway. This play-in/playoffs allows them an opportunity to stand out to try and earn another contract. The flat cap would hurt their negotiations, but that was always going to be an issue whether they played or not.