The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] NHL Return To Play Thread (24 team play off, 15 team draft lottery)

Rate this topic

Following directions here.

The tentative CBA, that MacKenzie, Button, TSN staff and spokesmen from the NHL and NHLPA includes NO buyouts and the cap remains at the 81 mil or so for 3 more years. No compliance buyouts. Meaning in future years and seasons cap management in the past will become uber important and carry over with magnified importance and possible massive ramifications.

No buyouts will cause the Canucks problems not just for this season but the next 160 plus games and 3 seasons, not to mention next spring's expansion draft as well as resigning this year's crop of FA's.

Source;

NHL owners reportedly 'dead-set' against compliance buyouts

According to a report from Elliotte Friedman, NHL owners — though increasingly concerned at the financial implications of the league's current shutdown state — are steadfastly against compliance buyouts.

These amnesty buyouts let NHL teams cut players without their contracts counting against the salary cap but those players have to be paid two-thirds of their salary over twice the length of time left on their deal. As NHL owners look to mitigate costs now and in the future in the face of these uncertain times, the idea of compliance buyouts is not a popular one.

The league is still working on solutions but one proposed by player agent Kurt Overhardt in Friedman's piece stands out:

Unlike a compliance buyout, it’s not punitive. It doesn’t have to be used, and if it does there should be an equal luxury tax payment to everyone who doesn’t use one. There is willingness to dump all over it, but I like this idea instead of hurting teams that draft and develop star players who are getting paid more money earlier than ever. We need creative solutions.

With the salary cap possibly not moving in either direction anytime soon, NHL (and AHL) franchises will have to work together to find an answer to their conundrum. 

How this affects the Canucks future beyond the next few games combined with a flat cap, well buying out Eriksson just became even more expensive because a cap increase will not reduce the impact, before if they saved 700 grand and got a 2 mil increase they were still in a plus situation as far as resigning contracts, now the benefits would be minimal.

Something along the lines of the play in round and the draft, the Canucks may have lucked out IF they get eliminated, they now know they have a one in eight chance compared to a 1 in 40 chance. Luck maybe this time. This time bad luck might return a franchise player, now wouldn't that be something eh?:towel:

Now is the time to give the guys some encouragement. They are going through the boring monotonous part of training and following the rules without the satisfying payoff of playing games.

Keep it up boys! Just over 3 weeks until the puck drops.

• Like 1

I can't get a definate answer anywhere. Of the final play in teams, the teams that don't make the playoffs, is there another lottery then for the first pick? Or is the team, the winner of the fist overall pick already been decided out of the play in teams? Edit, answered, thanks Q.

Edited by rekker

3 minutes ago, rekker said:

I can't get a definate answer anywhere. Of the final play in teams, the teams that don't make the playoffs, is there another lottery then for the first pick? Or is the team, the winner of the fist overall pick already been decided out of the play in teams?

The 8 losers of the play-in round will be part of a second lottery. Each with a 12.5% chance at winning 1st overall 

• Thanks 3

So games at 12, 4, and 8 in each city?

i don’t know how they plan on capturing a tv market at those times. No ones watching the 12 or 4 games during the week.

Unless their plan is to tape the games and air them later? Anybody heard anything on that?

16 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

So games at 12, 4, and 8 in each city?

i don’t know how they plan on capturing a tv market at those times. No ones watching the 12 or 4 games during the week.

Unless their plan is to tape the games and air them later? Anybody heard anything on that?

I'm working from home still.  Its going to be hockey from 9am till 10pm each day at my place.

• Cheers 4

The NHLPA executive board has approved the return to play plan and the CBA memorandum of understanding.  Horvat is the Canucks' representative on that board.  It will now go to a full membership vote which is to be completed by Friday.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

What I love about this guy is how hyped he gets on every goal. Those celebrations as subtle as they are awesome. 

His enthusiasm exudes "team player" I love watching him succeed.  He looks nearly as over joyed when a teammate scores and he is on the ice too.

He may not seem as physically gifted but his heart and desire to win are at elevated levels. 

• Cheers 3

12 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

His enthusiasm exudes "team player" I love watching him succeed.  He looks nearly as over joyed when a teammate scores and he is on the ice too.

He may not seem as physically gifted but his heart and desire to win are at elevated levels. 

The heart and soul players will be very important in the 'no fans in attendance Covid games'.  When the team gets behind in goals, it will be those guys that will have a motivational affect on the other players.

Just now, higgyfan said:

The heart and soul players will be very important in the 'no fans in attendance Covid games'.  When the team gets behind in goals, it will be those guys that will have a motivational affect on the other players.

Another stand out to me is JT Miller. He is going to rile the boys up. Bo will be the calming presence. Petey and Boes will fly under the radar and light it up. Jake and Ferdaddy will lay the body up front with Myers and Tree(?) crushing guys from the back end. Markstrom well rested for a long run. The unnamed player are mad depth... Man I cannot wait!! 

These playing games are essentially the end of the regular season so that should mean they are not exempt from the cap rules yet.

The players listed on LTIR will stay there until the first game, but then what?

Some rules appear to be adjusted but I can't find ANYTHING that changes the cap requirements for this season, anywhere. It is not even mentioned, Players that would have been eligible have been talked about but not cap ramifications.

Just as an example, Vancouver, if the LTIR players are okayed to play would be 7 mil or more over the cap, Allowing them 10 +mil extra for players than Minnesota.

We know for sure Markstrom is coming back and Ferland has been getting glowing assessments from Benning, so those two alone put the team well over. Then there is Leivo too, all quality players that can be moved in and out without any apparent waivers, which is another rule not talked about.

Thoughts?

Edited by Lazurus

49 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

These playing games are essentially the end of the regular season so that should mean they are not exempt from the cap rules yet.

The players listed on LTIR will stay there until the first game, but then what?

Some rules appear to be adjusted but I can't find ANYTHING that changes the cap requirements for this season, anywhere. It is not even mentioned, Players that would have been eligible have been talked about but not cap ramifications.

Just as an example, Vancouver, if the LTIR players are okayed to play would be 7 mil or more over the cap, Allowing them 10 +mil extra for players than Minnesota.

We know for sure Markstrom is coming back and Ferland has been getting glowing assessments from Benning, so those two alone put the team well over. Then there is Leivo too, all quality players that can be moved in and out without any apparent waivers, which is another rule not talked about.

Thoughts?

Are you sure of the bolded part? According to the article below, the regular season officially ended March 11th, 2020. If that is true, I would assume there would be no cap restrictions for the play-in series.

That Article says “last three (3) days of the Regular Season.” Not “the last three (3) days that the schedulers put together for an 82-game Regular Season.” As it happened, the final day of play prior to The Pause for the coronavirus pandemic was Wednesday, March 11. So, in accordance with the CBA, the last three days of the Regular Season would have been March 9, 10, and 11.