The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] NHL Return To Play Thread (24 team play off, 15 team draft lottery)

Rate this topic

5 minutes ago, gurn said:

So when referring to the astronomical phenomena previously known as a "black hole" do you just leave the "black' part blank?

'Dense gravity hole'. So much less 'racist'.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, gurn said:

Standing in front of a tidal wave is not good for one's longevity. 

I try to remember these changes are not about me and my feelings.

Being a pushover is not good for longevity either. the cancel culture knows no bounds. I saw a stupid trend the other day on instagram of  #CancelCanadaDay   because it is a reminder to the aboriginals that their land was taken over. who knows how long until that gains steam and then what next

tidal wave.. or tsunami ?  

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

25 minutes ago, gurn said:

So when referring to the astronomical phenomena previously known as a "black hole" do you just leave the "black' part blank?

Personally I think it's important to put some sort of descripter associated with the word "hole" to be clear on what sort of "hole" one is referring to.  The absence of description could result in inadvertent hurt.  

All joking aside, I recognize that words and names can cause hurt and I support changes where that is appropriate.  I'm concerned though that we go too far unintentionally.  I'm still not a fan of removing the term "Christmas" from the celebration, I don't believe that people of other faiths are offended by the word but because we try so hard to accommodate them we change too much.  I support the idea that we consult with the appropriate communities before changes are made to be sure that the change reflects the need.  

Are black people offended by the term "black aces", "black holes" etc?  

As far as the Clansmen team name, the players have identified it's problematic to them because they play games in the Southern US where the term Klan has a completely different connotation.  If they weren't part of the NCAA it wouldn't be an issue, but if it's creating a problem and people find it offensive, it probably needs review and potential change.  

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, skategal said:

Is there a racial connotation to "black aces"?  I thought it referenced a card from a card deck?  What am I missing?  

Switch to calling them "jokers"?  "Kings of Spades"?  

It's a reference to the dead man's hand in poker, which includes the black aces and black eights.

It's considered an unlucky hand, and one could argue the black ace NHL'ers are unlucky for not being in the lineup.

Seems fitting.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Using the depth (black aces) will be more critical this year than ever before. With so many games congested, you gotta keep bodies healthy. Strategic coaching and deployment (on top of who gets hot the fastest) will be critical. This doesn't really differ from other playoff years, but I think teams will be dipping into their depth much more.

The teams that have a bye from the play in would seem to have an advantage, but the play in teams will be more into by the time they face them and which will likely take away any skill advantage the top teams had. Teams that can sweep the play in series are the teams I'd watch for that will be pushing for the Cup IMO as they will have things in gear and have those extra games on hand over the next round plus suffering the least mileage and potential injury and can rest for the next round. If they do beat one of the bye teams, then that momentum should continue to carry them.

Has it been determined where the finals will be played? The team that has to travel will be at a disadvantage to readjust to the new hub and worry about the travel conditions and lose some practice time. I assume it'll be in Toronto and the Stanley Cup is likely there already.

The Conference finals and Stanley Cup Final will be played in Edmonton. It would be the eastern survivor of the Toronto hub that might have a disadvantage when they have to readjust. Sadly no Bruins ( only hoping this if it was hosted in Toronto) cup will be raised in LeafLand.

Edited by EP Phone Home

12 minutes ago, EP Phone Home said:

The Conference finals and Stanley Cup Final will be played in Edmonton. It would be the eastern survivor of the Toronto hub that might have a disadvantage when they have to readjust. Sadly no Bruins ( only hoping this if it was hosted in Toronto) cup will be raised in LeafLand.

I like the idea of having them moving cities at the conference finals.

That way both ECF teams are having the same disadvantage in re-adjusting, rather than just bringing over the east finalist and having them at a disadvantage.

Now no one can use that as an excuse for why their team lost :lol:

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Wonder how many exhibition games and who the opponents would be. While I do understand that they need some sort of warmup for the big games. The exhibition games could also cause injuries before the games that matter start up. But good to know we have a full roster at camp. Maybe we might see OJ play some games. 

54 minutes ago, EP Phone Home said:

Gotta say that's a bit of a surprise. I guess there is more risk in that Toronto could have some breakout/leak into the bubble that would end all of this early.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Takeaway on this

1.  BB is going to rip it up.  Yeah we definitely haven’t seen the best of him yet despite having a career average higher then Lindens and comparable to the Sedins (can we hold off on the trade BB ideas for a bit - especially as far as who do you keep Boeser or Toffoli goes ... I’m sure BB will manage more then three 20 goal and one 30 goal seasons by the time he’s a UFA.  Without injuries he’d already have done it. 

2.  Pandemic wise it’s safer to be playing hockey go figure.   Maybe take a couple weeks off the Covid doom and gloom “all it takes is one player” crap.   It’s already obvious that the players are at greater risk not participating.   Sure would be nice if everyone got tested each and every day right?

Edit:  anyone who suggested Horvat wouldn’t play care to post a retraction?

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2

4 hours ago, Chicken. said:

Being a pushover is not good for longevity either. the cancel culture knows no bounds. I saw a stupid trend the other day on instagram of  #CancelCanadaDay   because it is a reminder to the aboriginals that their land was taken over. who knows how long until that gains steam and then what next

tidal wave.. or tsunami ?  

Heard statues of Christopher Columbus getting trashed in the states.   People need to back off and think about context.   Use some empathy and respect for the people that came before us too - not just current events.  Imagine if you were born back then - whatever views they had I’m sure you’d be exposed to regardless of moral compass and likely would have contributed knowingly or unknowingly. 

Are we supposed to hate our grandparents because they are bigots bt today’s standards but back then were just average folks?    Or our parents?   A lot of Covid and other transfer going on here  ~ from whatever your unhappy about being expressed falsely as anti- whatever.  Otherwise why wouldn’t this already be a thing...

Never in human history has a people before us conquered a land and then given restitution for it.  Survival of the fittest was how we evolved (at least that’s what we are taught right?).   How long are we, our kids, grandkids and unborn children supposed to carry a shame most of us never directly participated in.     There has to be a limit - this has been going on for half a century now (restitution) and the culture of shame for everyone included is all but embedded in our pyshces.   No taxes ... free health care, free education and a box to tick that will get you at the head of the line regardless of your actual ability if it’s a public job.  Equality doesn’t apply and I get that as things aren’t equal. 

Maybe when we are older anyone who used a gas operated vehicle will be looked at as garbage horribly backwards people.   Same with meat eaters... and eventually people will clue into the scientific fact that plants also react to emotions (calming classical music makes them grow better - heavy metal or cacophonic music not as well, they have an electrical current that varies depending conditons - we don’t know much about it one day surely will) and could be viewed as feelings so five generations down the road no meat, no vegetables, only a man made paste like protein will be acceptable conduct and the people from the 21-22 centuries will be considered animals ethically.   Sheesh.   Vegacists, or something.   Sarcastic for sure.  But if things continue it could go way too far.   Has anyone who’s pulling these statues down thought that maybe they should be up there as a reminder?  Like remembrance  day but all the time?    Christopher Columbus - the explorer who’s discovery started all of this.   When I was a kid the coolest thing ever would to be just like him or Maggelin - circumventing the world ... I suppose next up is Shakespeare... or maybe Leonardo Da Vinci.   Colonialist/slavery  connections and all. 

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

So...what are the chances Kassian gets the puck, I mean virus, and passes it to his team mates? He didn't look too good in that photo in today's paper, like he was wired on something. Must've been the coffee. But again, no mask, no physical distancing. What is it with some of these young power forward wannabes?