Canuck Surfer

[Official] NHL Return To Play Thread (24 team play off, 15 team draft lottery)

Rate this topic

8 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Where did I say I didn't want to win a cup?

I said I want to win a cup. I just don't want the city to riot after a finals for a change. Fourth times the charm? 

I see, I misread your original reply, thought you didn’t want the cup this year. As for party like it’s 1994, we actually partied all playoffs long, planned on going downtown if we won but didn’t. I do not condone any of the riots, those are not fans, I do condone celebrating and being 25 years older now I wish I could party like it was 1994. 

Anyone else think the Blackhawks might bounce the Oilers?

A rested Kane and Toews can take over a series especially with a supporting cast of Debrincat, Kubalik, Strome.

Kane especially always seems to get up for the Canadian teams.

McDavid and Draisaitl will likely still have their way with them, but it should be a high scoring series either way.

5 games left. 3 wins to qualify. 

who do you go to war with?

Elias

JT

Tyler

Tanner

Bo

Brock

Adam

Antoine

Zack

Jake

Jay

Tyler M. 
Brandon

Loui

Josh

Michael

very difficult to pick

So you think you’re a purist, explain this:

56E6F9A8-BB83-43D2-BBEF-FF12D8B466B3.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

Elias

JT

Tyler

Tanner

Bo

Brock

Adam

Antoine

Zack

Jake

Jay

Tyler M. 
Brandon

Loui

Josh

Michael

very difficult to pick

Minnesota plays a very patient opportunistic game so you have to ice your best two way players I think.

Our PK will be crucial so I think that puts Motte and Sutter in the lineup.

Miller Pettersson Toffoli

Pearson Horvat Boeser

Roussel Sutter Virtanen

Leivo Beagle Motte

If we’re struggling to score we can insert Gaudette or if we’re getting pushed around we can insert MacEwan or Ferland (if he’s ready). I think Ferland should be given extra time though.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Minnesota plays a very patient opportunistic game so you have to ice your best two way players I think.

Pearson Horvat Boeser

Roussel Sutter Virtanen

Leivo Beagle Motte

If we’re struggling to score we can insert Gaudette or if we’re getting pushed around we can insert MacEwan or Ferland (if he’s ready). I think Ferland should be given extra time though.

Miller-Pettersson-Toffoli

Pearson-Horvat-Boeser

Roussel-Gaudette-Virtanen

Motte-Beagle-Sutter

From listening to Jim Benning today it didn't sound promising for Ferland and Leivo's return. Agree about PK being important! 

27 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Anyone else think the Blackhawks might bounce the Oilers?

A rested Kane and Toews can take over a series especially with a supporting cast of Debrincat, Kubalik, Strome.

Kane especially always seems to get up for the Canadian teams.

McDavid and Draisaitl will likely still have their way with them, but it should be a high scoring series either way.

I think they'll smoke Edmonton.

• Hydration 1

59 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Pearson Horvat Boeser

Roussel Sutter Virtanen

Leivo Beagle Motte

We need experience but we need the young guns too. If it were upto me Zack and Adam are both in. They play with more bite to their game than Sutter or Leivo. 

Agree with the first two lines 

Then:

Roussel-Gaudette-Virtanen

zack - Beagle -Motte

These are the best players on the roster and they should be the ones playing. 

Sutter, Eriksson, Leivo, Ferland are all great top 9 replacement options. But we need to go with the best lineup out of the gate and not wait to get pushed around or outscored as you say. 

I think at least half of these play-in series will be decided by either a hot goaltender, or a goalie who just isn't ready. A lot of top goalies need to get in a rhythm to play at their peak, and they simply won't have that option.

If I had to pick an upset out of the gate, I'd suggest Arizona. A healthy and rested Kuemper (who had no trouble taking off at the beginning of the season) could easily steal 3 games.

• Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, D-Money said:

I think at least half of these play-in series will be decided by either a hot goaltender, or a goalie who just isn't ready. A lot of top goalies need to get in a rhythm to play at their peak, and they simply won't have that option.

If I had to pick an upset out of the gate, I'd suggest Arizona. A healthy and rested Kuemper (who had no trouble taking off at the beginning of the season) could easily steal 3 games.

Unfortunately for Kuemper, Hall is on his team. Therefore a loss is coming to help with the lottery win.

• Haha 1

So we have a very likely chance of not surrendering our 1st round pick this year and then having a do-or-get-&^@#ed season next year.  

I really don't like what they're doing to the draft order here.  It was such a no-brainer to just have it according to winning percentage at the end of the shortened season. 

21 hours ago, Provost said:

Ya, that is the part that is annoying.  It isn’t even a consideration to have both hubs in Canada to avoid that.

I guess it will be cheaper to have teams in their home practice facilities for the training camps, but it also increases the risk because they certainly won’t be in a bubble while at home with their families.

The bubble should start at the beginning of training camp, that is less risk for it all falling apart, and resolved any 14 day quarantine issue in Canada.

The bubble is cosmetic unless all the people involved are also quarantined.  Hotel staff (guests too), custodians, maintenance staff, camera crew, bus drivers, etc have to be under the same protocol if they want to preserve the bubble.   Are they going to be going home to their families and simply re-entering the bubble the next day.  

• Hydration 1

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

So we have a very likely chance of not surrendering our 1st round pick this year and then having a do-or-get-&^@#ed season next year.  

I really don't like what they're doing to the draft order here.  It was such a no-brainer to just have it according to winning percentage at the end of the shortened season. 

It's a compromise. I'm not crazy about it. But it's hopefully a once in a lifetime thing. It manages to screw every team equally. Lol. 

• Hydration 1

10 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

So you think you’re a purist, explain this:

56E6F9A8-BB83-43D2-BBEF-FF12D8B466B3.jpeg

1974-1975?

Yeah those were weird times in the 1970's. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I agree, it really makes no sense.  Picking the 20 closest teams with a legitimate chance, have them all play 4-6 more "regular season" games within their conference as a warm up, then add those points to the regular season totals and the top 16 get into the playoffs exactly as normal.  .. that seems like the simplest solution.  The bubble teams get a legit chance to make up points, al the games will matter exactly as they would in a normal playoff stretch run.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

Elias

JT

Tyler

Tanner

Bo

Brock

Adam

Antoine

Zack

Jake

Jay

Tyler M. 
Brandon

Loui

Josh

Michael

very difficult to pick

As much as I loved Toffoli with Petey and Millsy, Boeser is an ill fit on the Horvat 'match up' line IMO. Also playing Minnesota, (and with plenty of time to rest/heal up/train) I think Boeser comes out guns blazing. I put him on the first line, at least to start.

I'd also wager Sutter at 3C as the playoffs (or play ins in this case) are no place for Gaudette's still required faceoff training wheels but that is by no means written in stone. If Gaudette stays/moves back at 3C, Sutter likely goes to the 4th to make our checking line that much more 'checky' (while likely swapping Motte back to LW) and Roussel likely bumps up to play with AG and JV.

Miller, Pettersson, Boeser

Pearson, Horvat, Toffoli

Gaudette, Sutter/Roussel, Virtanen

Roussel/Sutter, Beagle, Motte

MacEwan, Leivo, Ferland (if healthy), Eriksson etc to slot in as required.

Hughes, Tanev

Edler, Stecher

Benn/Fanta, Myers

Benn/Fanta, Rafferty, Brisebois, Juolevi, Sautner etc ready to slot in.

Markstrom, Demko, Domingue, MDP

Edited by aGENT

2 minutes ago, NaveJoseph said:

Will the play-in series be 5 on 5, continuous overtime?

playoff rules, so yes it will

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

Elias

JT

Tyler

Tanner

Bo

Brock

Adam

Antoine

Zack

Jake

Jay

Tyler M. 
Brandon

Loui

Josh

Michael

very difficult to pick

It's easy.

JT. Ride and die.

Seriously though there are only 16 forwards. 12 play. 4 Don't.

Rotate those 4 in and out as needed. I'm guessing 2 players are hurt by game 3.

Edited by Chris12345