The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Demko to Ottawa

Not that I see this as a bad trade, but I see a similar trade with Detroit being more probable....

Detroit has the following coming off the cap next year...……..

Sam Ganger 2.835 Million

Jonhathon Ericsson 4.250

Trevor Daily 3.166 Million

Jimmy Howard 4.00 Million

Henrik Zetterberg  6.083 Million

Johan Franzen 3.954 Million

Kyle Brodziak 1.150 Million

Mike Green 2.687 Million

All coming off the books next year..so a whopping 28 ish Million

So, sorry, but I see this as

Loui Eriksson after his bonus is paid

Thatcher Demko

Troy Stecher

for 

Detroit 2020 2nd

San Jose 3rd

Sorry to bring this into the discussion, but honestly, Detroit is in way more need of cap, and with part of Eriksson's contract already being paid, it is a no brainer for Detroit, especially since, he still can contribute defensively.

Detroit is also in need of a goalie who can grow with the team.....Demko works for them as well, in this regards

Stecher, is a decent replacement, who is not old, and will help, short term.

• Cheers 3

I've read OTT fans speculating Frederik Andersen could wind up there(after PO's)

After bonus, only 1 yr left(5 mill AAV; only 1 mill payout...a Melnyk special). OTT might send Gaborik's hit(in pkg) to the Leaves. They can play their cap-shenanigans(exploit LTIR) since they're always swimming in that deep end...

Edited by Nuxfanabroad

This is actually a good trade proposal.  Sure it has holes but so do virtually every other proposals and the majority of actual trades made.   They won’t be a playoff team next year and I’m sure Melnyk doesn’t actually believe they will - he’s their fearless leader and just saying that to encourage fans they are heading in the right direction (which they absolutely are - one of the best drafting teams in the NHL the last 20 years).  

LE likely won’t finish his contract and even if he does he provides them with cap relief in the opposite sense - as in actual dollars saved and helps then looks like they are making an effort to spend past the minimum.    The biggest threat to this trade is Demko not working out and an expansion protection spot wasted for them.  I guess if their pro scouting department thinks he’s worth it they’d do the trade.  

In principal this again isn’t at all bad idea.   As soon as the ink dries on Markstroms next contract he’s the goalie of the future like it or not - and Demko is a contender for one of the three goalies Seattle will for sure take (not as their number one - but as their back-up with future starter potential just like he is for us right now.).    

So many fans have also made the same determination it’s almost unthinkable that anyone else would get nabbed instead - but anything possible as the Vegas draft showed us ..  maybe the best  thing to consider is doing absolutely nothing.  Might be OJs offered up or Lind or whomever and they take them instead.   We don’t have anything in the system as exciting Demko.   Id wait until at least half way through next season before doing anything though.  Seattle won’t have any troubles netting their goalies that is an absolute for sure.   30 teams ... second best goalies from each one ... wow is that ever nice for them. 

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

Not that I see this as a bad trade, but I see a similar trade with Detroit being more probable....

Detroit has the following coming off the cap next year...……..

Sam Ganger 2.835 Million

Jonhathon Ericsson 4.250

Trevor Daily 3.166 Million

Jimmy Howard 4.00 Million

Henrik Zetterberg  6.083 Million

Johan Franzen 3.954 Million

Kyle Brodziak 1.150 Million

Mike Green 2.687 Million

All coming off the books next year..so a whopping 28 ish Million

So, sorry, but I see this as

Loui Eriksson after his bonus is paid

Thatcher Demko

Troy Stecher

for 

Detroit 2020 2nd

San Jose 3rd

Sorry to bring this into the discussion, but honestly, Detroit is in way more need of cap, and with part of Eriksson's contract already being paid, it is a no brainer for Detroit, especially since, he still can contribute defensively.

Detroit is also in need of a goalie who can grow with the team.....Demko works for them as well, in this regards

Stecher, is a decent replacement, who is not old, and will help, short term.

Yzerman is smart like a fox and you can bet he’s going to add some picks and pick up some junk contracts in return - ones with at most two years left do LE fits the bill.   Really I think it comes down to how their best goalie prospect Filip Larsson, or Petruzzilli does...at this point Demko is at least two years ahead of their   development so I’d think he’d be happy to make a deal with us or another team in a similar situation. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

You’d need a backup for at least two years. No way DiPietro is ready in one year. Probably 2-3 years in the A.  Giving up Demko for a 3rd?  Makes my head hurt.

Edited by sonoman

5 hours ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

As much as I really like Demko this approach actually has some merit for both sides.  We have to pay to keep Demko from Seattle most likely (Which I am in favour of doing) but we basically move Loui to confirm Toffoli stays.  It works for us and it would work for them as having two goalie options confirms that one of them will succeed.  They are not competing next year and their core is on ELCs so they are fine either way.  Interesting idea.

This would be ideal 

6 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I just don't believe it, and don't think he does either, thats hype for ticket sales. 

That could be too but what's the hype of bringing in Eriksson - how is that going to help their ticket sales.   I don't think a washed up vet is someone that Ottawa is going to want.

Also Eriksson will still be under contract when they'll have prospects like Tkachuk in need of new deals.  With the uncertainty of the salary cap this could limit them.   

I see them more trying to target good players and get them for a song as teams will have to create cap space. 

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

Yzerman is smart like a fox and you can bet he’s going to add some picks and pick up some junk contracts in return - ones with at most two years left do LE fits the bill.   Really I think it comes down to how their best goalie prospect Filip Larsson, or Petruzzilli does...at this point Demko is at least two years ahead of their   development so I’d think he’d be happy to make a deal with us or another team in a similar situation. 

A trade for Demko alone maybe but tagged to Eriksson don't see it.  Nielsen, Abdelkader are still on their books so unless the Canucks take one back there's no real benefit to bring in Demko at the cost of tying them down with another slowed down veteran.

Demko is a young goalie.  His numbers aren't great.  It could limit his development to play behind such a bad team.  I think he's more likely to find a veteran goalie to replace Howard until their team has improved - also buys time for their goalie prospects to continue to develop.

Several teams are going to have to move good players to create cap space.  I could see him more approaching teams with cap issues and getting a good player in return rather than take on cap dumps for players who don't help their team take a step into contender status.  

With the Canucks desperately needing cap space - the cost to create it is a fair bit higher.  Teams know that Benning wants to sign Toffoli, Markstrom etc.  Some teams are probably hoping these guys don't re-sign and get to UFA instead.  Because the Canucks need cap space it's going to cost more to trade their bad contracts. 

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 2

LouiE prob holds some value in Melnyk's eyes.

- Responsible vet with yrs of exp. Family guy, etc...

- 6 mill AAV, but only 5 mill owed(after his bonus is paid..when? July?)

So pay him 2.5 mill x 2 yrs, but then get a 6 mill hit, helping to cheaply hit the floor.

Now would LE waive his NTC for such a destination? Maybe he'll just retire after getting his bonu$ buck$?

Edited by Nuxfanabroad

16 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

LouiE prob holds some value in Melnyk's eyes.

- Responsible vet with yrs of exp. Family guy, etc...

- 6 mill AAV, but only 5 mill owed(after his bonus is paid..when? July?)

So pay him 2.5 mill x 2 yrs, but then get a 6 mill hit, helping to cheaply hit the floor.

Now would LE waive his NTC for such a destination? Maybe he'll just retire after getting his bonu$ buck$?

Ottawa is not going to have trouble hitting the floor.  Chabot is starting an 8M deal.  They have plenty of RFAs to re-sign and are just 18M away from it with only 10 contracts on their books.  13 players to add and only 18M to the floor.  

In a year when they have other RFAs to sign Eriksson will still be on their books.  Can't see them wanting to be in the situation where they can't sign a prospect because they have Eriksson. 

8 hours ago, BCNate said:

I'm assuming a flat cap in this scenario.

Unless the owners suddenly decide to give the players a much larger share of revenue than 50% (really can't see this happening after 3 lockouts), there is no scenario where we don't have either a greatly reduced cap ( 50 million range) or 50% escrow.  The money has to come from somewhere. 

LE co- owns a number of high end restaurants in Sweden, some of them were in the red BEFORE this pandemic.  Even with the no lockdown in Sweden, they are likely still losing money.  LE needs the cash.  I don’t see him retiring early.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

8 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Unless the owners suddenly decide to give the players a much larger share of revenue than 50% (really can't see this happening after 3 lockouts), there is no scenario where we don't have either a greatly reduced cap ( 50 million range) or 50% escrow.  The money has to come from somewhere. 

Hopefully with 2 buyouts this offseason....

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, mll said:

That could be too but what's the hype of bringing in Eriksson - how is that going to help their ticket sales.   I don't think a washed up vet is someone that Ottawa is going to want.

Also Eriksson will still be under contract when they'll have prospects like Tkachuk in need of new deals.  With the uncertainty of the salary cap this could limit them.   

I see them more trying to target good players and get them for a song as teams will have to create cap space. 

no hype, just a good PK vet and they get a great goalie prospect too. There's a decent logic to the trade idea, but there are also reasons not to do it. Thats why its so damn hard to move Loui. 

10 hours ago, mll said:

A trade for Demko alone maybe but tagged to Eriksson don't see it.  Nielsen, Abdelkader are still on their books so unless the Canucks take one back there's no real benefit to bring in Demko at the cost of tying them down with another slowed down veteran.

Demko is a young goalie.  His numbers aren't great.  It could limit his development to play behind such a bad team.  I think he's more likely to find a veteran goalie to replace Howard until their team has improved - also buys time for their goalie prospects to continue to develop.

Several teams are going to have to move good players to create cap space.  I could see him more approaching teams with cap issues and getting a good player in return rather than take on cap dumps for players who don't help their team take a step into contender status.  

With the Canucks desperately needing cap space - the cost to create it is a fair bit higher.  Teams know that Benning wants to sign Toffoli, Markstrom etc.  Some teams are probably hoping these guys don't re-sign and get to UFA instead.  Because the Canucks need cap space it's going to cost more to trade their bad contracts. 

yup all true. This is the year Jim's cap decisions finally have an impact. 

Can the league make a decision like excluding one player from the cap hit on its own, or does everything like that need NHLPA approval too?

31 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Hopefully with 2 buyouts this offseason....

A few weeks back Friedman was saying in his 31 thoughts that more and more executives are saying that owners are against it because they don't want the extra cost.  Owners are losing enough money already.  Even the Canucks have cut staff salary back.  

Also buyouts count towards escrow so allowing compliance buyouts would have players giving even more salary back. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yup all true. This is the year Jim's cap decisions finally have an impact. 

Can the league make a decision like excluding one player from the cap hit on its own, or does everything like that need NHLPA approval too?

They would for sure need NHLPA approval.  It would likely have to be part of the CBA.  Players are affected because of the split in revenue.  With revenue being lower than 50% of players' salaries/buyouts etc they have to give money back.  Adding a player that doesn't count against the cap puts them even further away from 50% of revenue.  It increases what they owe back to the league.  

I doubt the league would want that.  It favours rich teams that have the cash to exceed the cap.  Revenue is going to be significantly lower than the cap already.

1 minute ago, mll said:

They would for sure need NHLPA approval.  It would likely have to be part of the CBA.  Players are affected because of the split in revenue.  With revenue being lower than 50% of players' salaries/buyouts etc they have to give money back.  Adding a player that doesn't count against the cap puts them even further away from 50% of revenue.  It increases what they owe back to the league.  

I doubt the league would want that.  It favours rich teams that have the cash to exceed the cap.  Revenue is going to be significantly lower than the cap already.

well.... damn. Then the only way to keep Toffoli e.g,. is to buy out Sutter, Baer and put Loui in Utica. That might just cover the cost. 

Or Jim is going to have to pay the price other teams have and lose a 1st rounder to shed Loui. 

No good options really unless the league brings in compliance buyouts but you've posted reasons why that might not happen either. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

well.... damn. Then the only way to keep Toffoli e.g,. is to buy out Sutter, Baer and put Loui in Utica. That might just cover the cost. 

Or Jim is going to have to pay the price other teams have and lose a 1st rounder to shed Loui. 

No good options really unless the league brings in compliance buyouts but you've posted reasons why that might not happen either. 

Benning was recently talking of getting a 2nd round pick back at the draft - he says they have too many bodies and have to make some trades.