The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks to part ways with Judd Bracket

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

8 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

This narrative of Benning gutting the scouting department in the summer of 2019 is way overblown.  I think the Drance quote above by @SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME is misleading.  Benning also did a restructure of the scouting department in 2017.  I would say that this is part of an ongoing evaluation that is a normal part of team building.

who does Jim think he is? the boss or something? 

I think the legs this story has shows just how far the team has come, there's nothing else to really complain about. 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

who does Jim think he is? the boss or something? 

I think the legs this story has shows just how far the team has come, there's nothing else to really complain about. 

I mean even if Brackett was some kind of prospect guru the majority of the “heavy lifting” for the rebuild is done.

The core is in place now with the likes of Pettersson, Horvat, Boeser, Hughes, Gaudette, Virtanen, Podkolzin, Demko, Hoglander. 

Yes it will still be important to fill in the gaps with drafting, but more importantly now will be the pro scouting side of things. Additions like Miller, Pearson, and Toffoli are what is going to bring this team to another level.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

20 hours ago, aGENT said:

Only time I tend to 'read' his stuff is when people on here unfortunately regurgitate it and then declare his verbal diarrhea as 'proof' and 'facts'.

that is funny because I don't read or regurg his stuff, but you bring it up

3 minutes ago, lmm said:

Feel free to quote me bringing anything of his up. All I've ever done is respond to other posters regurgitating his nonsense.

Edited by aGENT

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Feel free to quote me bringing anything of his up. All I've ever done is respond to other posters regurgitating his nonsense.

Thursday, 10:43 PM in the now closed Judd Bracket thread

4 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I can't wait for the JD Burke article about how we missed the franchise changing player in the 7th round due to this. 

... and how well Bracket has done with a top ten pick in Seattle or elsewhere.   Lol.

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, guntrix said:

I guess now we'll be able to see if Bracket is a product of a greater system or some scouting prodigy. 

Kinda feel his first 5 years with the team speaks to whether or not he is a prodigy. From 09-13 the team drafted one player worth a damn. That was a player drafted in the top 10. Lol. I like the guy, don't wanna disparage him. But this team's drafting turned around with Benning. Brackett didn't have the voice at the draft table that he apparently wanted, yet the drafting the last 3 years has been the best, so far, that the team has ever seen.

Brackett's first year as Director of Amateur Scouting was the Juolevi draft. Then Benning started slowly reworking the scouting department and the drafting got better and better. Makes you wonder if Benning didn't like the info he got, or the info he didn't get, about Tkachuk/Sergachev and started tinkering with the scouting department. Brackett didn't like not having as much say at the table, but gotta admit the results of Benning taking more control has lead to the best drafting in the team's history the last 3 years. So far that is, haven't really seen the fruits of the last 3 drafts labour yet. But so far so good with the first and second rounders.

• Cheers 1

51 minutes ago, guntrix said:

I guess now we'll be able to see if Bracket is a product of a greater system or some scouting prodigy. 

My guess is it's a little of both...but he maybe wanted his contract to reflect the latter?

Team game - in front of and behind the bench.  Ego has no place in it and I guess time will tell if that's an issue or not.  

• Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, lmm said:

13 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Let me help the situation..

Shouldn’t Burke be getting the same “check your facts” label that Trump gets?

Edited by SilentSam
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Kinda feel his first 5 years with the team speaks to whether or not he is a prodigy. From 09-13 the team drafted one player worth a damn. That was a player drafted in the top 10. Lol. I like the guy, don't wanna disparage him. But this team's drafting turned around with Benning. Brackett didn't have the voice at the draft table that he apparently wanted, yet the drafting the last 3 years has been the best, so far, that the team has ever seen.

Brackett's first year as Director of Amateur Scouting was the Juolevi draft. Then Benning started slowly reworking the scouting department and the drafting got better and better. Makes you wonder if Benning didn't like the info he got, or the info he didn't get, about Tkachuk/Sergachev and started tinkering with the scouting department. Brackett didn't like not having as much say at the table, but gotta admit the results of Benning taking more control has lead to the best drafting in the team's history the last 3 years. So far that is, haven't really seen the fruits of the last 3 drafts labour yet. But so far so good with the first and second rounders.

That is entirely ignoring that Brackett was just a part time scout for the USHL and had effectively zero say in the choices that were made, he didn't even have a seat at the table as the crossover scouts come in and they are the ones that bring their recommendations to the team... so picks before he was Director of Scouting can't be hung on him at all.  The Juolevi pick was also apparently all Benning as he went and scouted him personally half a dozen times and decided on organizational need to make the pick over just BPA.

Benning's taking greater control of the draft happened last year, after Linden left, prior to that Linden was having Brackett as the key guy.  So if you want to judge Brackett's tenure it would be the picks beyond the 1st round in 16 and the full drafts in 17 and 18 where he DID have the voice at the table he wanted.  Judge him on those players where he actually had influence.

Wonder if Burke really has aspirations of being a Scout or GM?    

Is he educated?..  his guesses don’t seem to be.

Must feel like a King..    happy to see this TOPIC turn onto JD Burke,.   He deserves it more than Benning or Brackett.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

I mean even if Brackett was some kind of prospect guru the majority of the “heavy lifting” for the rebuild is done.

The core is in place now with the likes of Pettersson, Horvat, Boeser, Hughes, Gaudette, Virtanen, Podkolzin, Demko, Hoglander. 

Yes it will still be important to fill in the gaps with drafting, but more importantly now will be the pro scouting side of things. Additions like Miller, Pearson, and Toffoli are what is going to bring this team to another level.

This is the big picture to be sure.  Could be why a contracts man, Chris Gear, the lawyer was given a more prominent role.  It's all about supporting the core players as they mature and fitting it all under the cap.  Not that drafting isn't still important

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

This is the big picture to be sure.  Could be why a contracts man, Chris Gear, the lawyer was given a more prominent role.  It's all about supporting the core players as they mature and fitting it all under the cap.  Not that drafting isn't still important

Absolutely.

Chris should be able to target players available to trade asset for future growth as well. Contracts , the Cap, and timing..

Timing is imperative,. Or you end up handcuffed like the Leafs.

This has to be a functioning Team.

Benning has built a farm system we will start to see th e rewards from like this franchise has never seen.

Time to shed a little light in young assets used to acquire that future growth,. Opening the doors to acquisitions like JT Miller to keep us head and shoulders competitive.

im Hopeful to see Toffoli re-sign..

im sure there will be an off set player/ pick used to supplement the future.

This is where numbers and lawyers who also know hockey help.

17 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Wonder if Burke really has aspirations of being a Scout or GM?    

Is he educated?..  his guesses don’t seem to be.

Must feel like a King..    happy to see this TOPIC turn onto JD Burke,.   He deserves it more than Benning or Brackett.

Well except that it is just you who keeps bringing up JD Burke.

So if I stop responding this JD Hi-jack will end.

so, I will not respond to any  more JD posts

Have fun

21 hours ago, Provost said:

So, some of the “other side” of the story are trickling out from sources in the organization that don’t quite agree with JB’s spin on things.

- Brackett wasn’t asking for complete autonomy 

- He Was a key figure at the drafts under Linden but when Linden was fired, he got sidelined and a reduced voice in decisions.  Those people sharing clips of those Linden year drafts as proof of how well things were working are showing what is WAS like when things were working well under Linden and everyone was being heard.

- Benning and a Weisbrod took over staff decisions in his department last summer and fired/hired scouts.

Benning did say publicly in February that he and Weisbrod wanted to be more involved in day to day scouting (the reason for promoting Gear to do more business side responsibility).  That fits a lot more with Brackett being pushed aside than Brackett being a megalomaniac who wanted powers never known in the hockey world as has been suggested.  Benning, by his own admission, was actively reducing Brackett’s role.... so any conditions by Brackett would have almost certainly been about maintaining the scope of his role... not wanting to take over Jim’s duties in an unprecedented set of demands like some are suggesting.

Add in Linden heavily praising Brackett when he was interviewed during Sedin week (and tactfully neglecting to mention a Weisbrod and Benning), which makes it clear that Brackett was part of the losing Linden side to a power struggle.

Also add in that Benning’s comments on not being interested in the political stuff and also believing in the chain of command are entirely bull crap knowing the recent history.  He made a play and successfully negotiated his last contract to bypass the boss who hired him in Linden, so that he reported directly to ownership where he sold a competing vision that eventually resulted in Linden getting fired.  That is exactly office politics and not caring about the chain of command that is suddenly now a core tenet of his beliefs for his entire career.  It is very clear from many voices that Linden felt betrayed by Benning’s power play, and if anyone doubts Linden’s class they haven’t paid attention to the last 25 years.  JB isn’t the folksy farmer aww shucks dolt some make him out to be.  He seems to be projecting his own faults onto someone else.

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/ed-willes-bracketts-power-play-for-autonomy-costs-canucks-star-scout-his-job?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1590796242

What was Bracket holding out for then,?

He said himself they couldn’t come to an agreement?

why was there any negotiation then?

The underlined:  Let’s be real, How many years were we in the Draft Lottery?

”How well things were?”.

Thats as good as it gets for picking. How the hell do you go wrong?

Linden, in my opinion fully defended Desjardins for 2 seasons before he was fired..

after all Desjardins was Lindens favouritefor a Coach at the time.

Benning could be constantly seen questioning Linden in the Press box at games when Desjardins would deploy his lines.. especially when our PP was a hole running the Sedins with Eriksson for an entire season to little or no success.

Benning has a complete vision..  And it shows.

Buckle up for success,.  Driving over Road Kill is part of it.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

I think this whole power struggle narrative is a tad dramatic.  Disagreement is natural.

Linden is gone because the disagreement in vision obviously came to a head.  Although unfortunate, that's fine- stuff like that will happen.  To label it as an on going "power struggle" or sidestepping Linden in the chain of command  is just like JB says-nonsense.  There were different visions and ultimately FA wanted to go with JB's.  You can't expect JB to change his view from Linden if he genuinely believed differently can you?  Wish it could have worked out with Linden but being decisive is also important.  And I was a big fan of Linden as President.

With Judd, he wanted more control than JB was contractually willing to give up.  That's fine.  With JB's scouting background it's no surprise he feels he needs to be involved/have at least the final say.  On that note, Judd has become this folk hero at the expense of the rest of the amateur scouting department which is silly. And with  plenty of hungry young personel, Judd's leaving will create new opportunities.  If anything, I bet the amateur side is chomping at the bit to put this drama behind them and get going/prove they still have an excellent department.

Benning is not good at everything that a GM does.  Nobody is.  It is only natural to hire support staff who are good at the things that you are not as strong at.  Hence the Gear promotion.  Now, Benning and Weisbrod are both from the scouting side so this situation isn't really about being machiavellian, Brackett is a man of ability and Benning offered him a contract because of this.  He would rather have Brackett stay but there's no future growth for him in Vancouver.  It's not personal, it's business.  Good luck Judd.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, lmm said:

Well except that it is just you who keeps bringing up JD Burke.

So if I stop responding this JD Hi-jack will end.

so, I will not respond to any  more JD posts

Have fun

No it’s not just me,.  Your obviously upset, perhaps related?

Relax,  you can go outside now..  just put your mask on.

its a nice day..  feel the burn ? ;) 

• Haha 1