The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks to part ways with Judd Bracket

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

34 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yup. But now the army of Benning haters has a new shiny toy. Its pretty sad the amount of pure hate thrown the guys way in this market. I wish they would just shut up but its a free country. 

I agree with you..These are also the haters that never like the Miller trade...In 4 years these ridiculous fans will say the Miller trade was bad..

Benning and group know there are those 10-15% that trash ever move...Those people are ridiculous about everything, it motivates them  to be negative? 

We all know and see in your work place daily...Those people need to get a life and cheer up feel sorry for there families...

Edited by wildcam
  • Cheers 2

All draft picks have to go through Jim.  If Brackett was good at his job he would have been training people to do work in his area of responsiblility (mentoring).  If there is a smooth transition,  Brackett did his Job well.

1 hour ago, Maddogy said:

I just listened to J.B.’s interview regarding Judd’s departure. J.B. sounds very sincere. It is clear that as a former director of amateur scouting himself

he takes drafts personally. This could turn out good or bad for the Canucks. However, if he identified Judd as a talent and promoted him throughout the ranks, I am confident that J.B. can find another competent guy to fill the role.

Here are what I think are J.B’s biases:

- he doesn’t seem to know much about goalies

- He likes skilled D like Hughes and Rathbone, he does not hold their small size against them

- He loves physicality, size and skating for forwards, he does not have a problem adding skill to the team even if some size are lacking, for instance Hoglander. However overall he favours a tough physical team over what Montreal seems to be building.

These are the biases that are expected to continue or even amplify when a new director of amateur scouting arrives.

He was a big reason the Sabres drafted Ryan Miller. 

• Cheers 2

Sorry to see Bracket go, but I'm confident Benning will continue his great drafting. If Judd was indeed hoping to make all the calls at every draft, I don't think he's going to find what he was looking for anywhere else. Still, I'm sure he will land with another team, and am grateful for his services. 

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

Just connecting dots here, but if Mike Gillis is hired as President or Czar or Pope in New Jersey, he may hire Brackett to something more than he was here. Don't forget that it was Gillis who hired Brackett here in the first place.

And I wouldn't be sure about Biech, unless the scouting staff has embraced analytics as their primary scouting tools. Somehow, I don't see Benning turning the department over to the computer guys.

Not necessarily promoting the idea, but in theory, it could work very well in a 'ying and yang' setup.

Biech and other staff do a deep dive in the analytics, Benning and other scouts do more traditional in person, character and 'eyeball' etc scouting. Anyone that overlaps, you try to nab.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1

10 hours ago, ba;;isticsports said:

My guess would be Judd knows the better picks were his (maybe even the ones they never made too) and probably feels he has earned more say

I highly doubt, that, if he was just a tag along he would be that confident

He probably feels in hindsight I have pushed all the right guys that you picked and maybe didn't

Didn't Weisbrod come from Boston and have connections with JB?

In those videos, Weisbrod sure looked like the typical company yes man :)

CanucksAbbyFan2 (@Fan2Abby) Tweeted:
#Canucks Reminder: 

Ted Hampson and Ryan Johnson pushed hardest to select Brock Boeser.  

Ron Delorme was the first to push hard for Elias Pettersson.  

John Weisbrod is friends with Jim Hughes and he literally scouted Quinn Hughes since his birth. https://t.co/G3iy0lCiT6

D44C23F9-83DB-4887-8D2A-08B22CD44C1A.thumb.jpeg.ca038572ec313fc0533675d63880e682.jpeg

Edited by SilentSam
  • Thanks 4

I appreciate any body who has worked with this franchise.

To have a team appear in the Stanley Cup Final on an average of every 10 years since it’s inception into the NHL is not any easy undertaking.

I think the “dream” management/coach TEAM would consist of:  Quinn,  Benning,GILLIS, Gilman, Vigneault, Green.

I think Mr Brackets work here was part of a team effort,  but perhaps he coughed up a fur ball wanting signing off on authorities that are above his position.

Perhaps one day he will realize that Benning was trying to protect him from that..  soon enough he will not even get the opportunities he sought, starting over anywhere else.

18 hours ago, aGENT said:

No, Fred(reading comprehension)65, the spin, editorialization and hyperbole were what people have taken issue with, not that Judd potentially leaving was 'fake news'.

Sorry but I call BS on that, comments on the not being able to believe any thing Burke writes and other Tweets ( Taj ?? )that were downgraded to unbelievable by many. I guess some just don't have the character to admit fault. It's easy. Lots of weasel word

I just don't see why this has to be so vitriolic. Brackett wanted a higher position of authority, and Benning wasn't gonna concede to that. There's no maliciousness, just simple business. I wish Brackett the best, who ever hires him is getting an excellent scout.

That being said, it's not like the Canucks are short on quality scouts either. Gradin perhaps?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

That Taj tweet really cherry picked a quote from this

I suppose no one on the outside will know for sure. Pure speculation, I think Brackett saw errors and wanted to be able to either correct it or have no part of it. I see Weisbrod as the benefactor but also the conductor of this chnage. Sadly I see the guy that will eventually be condemned by the move as Benning himself, it may well be the hill he dies on. However I must sat Benning's timing is superb. We don't have a 1st or a 2nd in this years draft which defers judgement until the 2021 draft and by then Vcr will likely be drafting in the lower half of the draft. If there was a good time to get a pest out of your scouting Dept this was it 

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Only in Vancouver would this be news. Dried up rabbit droppings like Burke were salivating waiting time comment on this. 

He’s a &^@#ing scout. Not a first line center. Not a coach. Not a star goalie. A scout. 

Scouts = future of the franchise

Fiirst line centres = trade acquisition 

Where would this team be without Petttersson, Hughes, Boeser and maybe Podkolzin, all draft picks selected  by the scouts

and all upgrades on Vertanin, McCann and Juolevi

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

I suppose no one on the outside will know for sure. Pure speculation, I think Brackett saw errors and wanted to be able to either correct it or have no part of it. I see Weisbrod as the benefactor but also the conductor of this chnage. Sadly I see the guy that will eventually be condemned by the move as Benning himself, it may well be the hill he dies on. However I must sat Benning's timing is superb. We don't have a 1st or a 2nd in this years draft which defers judgement until the 2021 draft and by then Vcr will likely be drafting in the lower half of the draft. If there was a good time to get a pest out of your scouting Dept this was it 

Benning offered him a contract to stay. Brackett had stipulations on signing that required more or total autonomy. How did Benning time this?

Why can it not be perceived that Benning saw some holes in the scouting department (as a former scout and director himself) and thus why he wants to get involved more with his experience?

32 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Scouts = future of the franchise

Scouts - Player acquisition

Fiirst line centres = trade acquisition 

Most first line centers are drafted actually, and until there is concrete proof outside of some yahoos speculating on Twitter that Brackett was the scout most responsible for the success at the draft, this is nothing more than a scout moving on. 

Where would this team be without Petttersson, Hughes, Boeser and maybe Podkolzin, all draft picks selected  by the scouts

Benning is one of the scouts, remember that. 

and all upgrades on Vertanin, McCann and Juolevi

Virtanen has a banner year this season. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2