bishopshodan

USA burns. The George Floyd Thread

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Well.... it's more of the police instigating most of the violence in HK.

In the US, aren't the police chiefs, prosecutors, judges or whatever... elected or at least appointed by people who are elected?  Does seem like a good opportunity of someone to campaign on "cleaning house".  

Not saying people shouldn't protest... but there are lots a person, a community can do constructively to change society for the better.  Going to Best Buy to boost a TV isn't the way to do it. 

Exactly. Whether it be, undercover cops, ANTIFA, etc who knows. All I am saying is that there is some evidence out there showing that the violence that's happening now is being caused by some group outside of the protesters. Similar to what happened in HK.

No looting isn't the best way to do it. So let me ask you this then. What does a "community constructively changing society" look like? Independent investigations? A special review committee? Who will facilitate this? The community? The black community that has been suppressed for decades now? Do they have the power to start this? 

No. And that is why, unfortunately, some of the protesters have resorted to crime and violence. Is it right? Absolutely not. But like I said before, we need to stop our fixation with the right and wrong of looting and rioting right now and look at the root cause as to WHY it's happening. I personally think this is happening because the black community has no more options. In the context of modern America, no one has listened to the black community ever since the Rodney King beatings. 

If the people in power don't bother listening to a community for decades, then this is what you're going to get. Our society is based on a social contract. Citizens give up some of their power and freedoms to elected officials in exchange for protection, justice and order. The people in power haven't held up their part of the bargain for the black community, so why should the black community themselves do the same? 

Is violent protesting justified in a developed, Western democracy like the US justified? No, but they sure as hell had it coming.

Edited by KoreanHockeyFan
  • Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1

Day six of this...Got a feeling this can go on a  a lot longer,plus within a pandemic.

I am not looking forward to the fall. :(

16 minutes ago, Timbermen said:

Sorry what exactly is this proving?  Like at all?

Counterpoint this with the literally hundreds or thousands of videos of US police forces covering badges and body cams and assaulting peaceful rioters and please tell me what exactly this hard to hear 20 second nothing of a video is supposed to prove again

Don't know if this was posted before. But this was tweeted by the President not long ago. What a complete and utter lack of leadership.....

You're in the middle of a pandemic. 40 million people unemployed and protests and fires raging across the country including across the street from the White House.

This is what is on this moron's mind.

• Hydration 2

10 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Don't know if this was posted before. But this was tweeted by the President not long ago. What a complete and utter lack of leadership.....

You're in the middle of a pandemic. 40 million people unemployed and protests and fires raging across the country including across the street from the White House.

This is what is on this moron's mind.

And now he’s hiding in his bunker like the coward he is. I really hope this is enough for Americans to open their eyes and realize this clown has brainwashed them for this long. 

• Hydration 1

Posted (edited)

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Exactly. Whether it be, undercover cops, ANTIFA, etc who knows. All I am saying is that there is some evidence out there showing that the violence that's happening now is being caused by some group outside of the protesters. Similar to what happened in HK.

No looting isn't the best way to do it. So let me ask you this then. What does a "community constructively changing society" look like? Independent investigations? A special review committee? Who will facilitate this? The community? The black community that has been suppressed for decades now? Do they have the power to start this? 

No. And that is why, unfortunately, some of the protesters have resorted to crime and violence. Is it right? Absolutely not. But like I said before, we need to stop our fixation with the right and wrong of looting and rioting right now and look at the root cause as to WHY it's happening. I personally think this is happening because the black community has no more options. In the context of modern America, no one has listened to the black community ever since the Rodney King beatings. 

If the people in power don't bother listening to a community for decades, then this is what you're going to get. Our society is based on a social contract. Citizens give up some of their power and freedoms to elected officials in exchange for protection, justice and order. The people in power haven't held up their part of the bargain for the black community, so why should the black community themselves do the same? 

Is violent protesting justified in a developed, Western democracy like the US justified? No, but they sure as hell had it coming.

Lot of these people are not protesting anything, they are just criminals that are taking the advantage.
All day today you can see areas between 47th and 55th street and beyond that on the south side of Chicago robbed and set on fire.

Grocery stores, liquor stores, clothing stores etc. burned to the ground.

No antifa guys, cops etc. just helicopter TV cameras following black youth pillaging.

Now this is predominately black neighborhood in Chicago that has been called black metropolis back in 1930s.

You don’t think that they know who owns those businesses and buildings?

Or the morons clamoring for robbing big bad CVS and Target, you know, stick it to the man, insurance will pay for it.

Anyone who has ever been to these areas, knows how scarce big retail stores are, where are elderly black folks going to pick up prescription now that pharmacy is looted and destroyed? How about food? You think that they will waltz over to Whole Foods? All public transportation has been stopped as well.

Edited by CBH1926

This is like Grand Theft Auto, can’t believe all this is still going on during the pandemic. 

From the videos I’ve seen, the cops are not doing themselves any favours. 

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Lot of these people are not protesting anything, they are just criminals that are taking the advantage.
All day today you can see areas between 47th and 55th street and beyond that on the south side of Chicago robbed and set on fire.

Grocery stores, liquor stores, clothing stores etc. burned to the ground.

No antifa guys, cops etc. just helicopter TV cameras following black youth pillaging.

Now this is predominately black neighborhood in Chicago that has been called black metropolis back in 1930s.

You don’t think that they know who owns those businesses and buildings?

Or the morons clamoring for robbing big bad CVS and Target, you know, stick it to the man, insurance will pay for it.

Anyone who has ever been to these areas, knows how scarce big retail stores are, where are elderly black folks going to pick up prescription now that pharmacy is looted and destroyed? How about food? You think that they will waltz over to Whole Foods? All public transportation has been stopped as well.

You are completely correct. And your interpretation would be correct for every single violent protest that has occurred after an incident involving a black person that has been unjustly treated by the police. 

LA riots in 1992

Ferguson riots in 2014

And now this. 

So I say once again. Stop fixating on what rioting is happening. Who's doing it. Where is it happening. Think about WHY it's happening every single time. 

Should the rioters who get caught for looting and vandalizing be arrested and charged? Absolutely, that's a given. But the WHY should be the starting point of our conversation, not the riots themselves. These crimes are a byproduct of a much bigger problem. 

Edited by KoreanHockeyFan
  • Like 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, HI5 said:

From the videos I’ve seen, the cops are not doing themselves any favours. 

Yeah, they could do with getting some good cop videos circulating. 

They are looking like they are fed up and don't give a F. Starting to act out and these days cameras are everywhere. 

The majority of cops are good guys but they work in crap system in a hard time in history. They are out there now dealing with the erosion of their country. Tough spot to be in. 

9 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

You are completely correct. And your interpretation would be correct for every single violent protest that has occurred after every incident inolving a black person that has been unjustly treated by the police. 

LA riots in 1992

Ferguson riots in 2014

And now this. 

So I say once again. Stop fixating on what rioting is happening. Who's doing it. What's happening. Think about on WHY it's happening every single time. 

Should the rioters who get caught for looting and vandalizing be arrested and charged? Absolutely, that's a given. But the WHY should be the starting point of our conversation, not the riots themselves. These crimes are a byproduct of a much bigger problem. 

Some in the community use it as an excuse to loot and burn, they don’t care about Floyd or his death.

In 2016 L.A and N.Y had 628 homicides combined, we had 762, Chicago 2.7m population, NYC and L.A 12m.

About 80% of those killed were black, who do you think their killers were?

Chicago mayor is black, chief of police, attorney general, fire chief etc.

You should see how they responded to the violence.

I don’t think that you understand the problems of the black community better than they do.

1 minute ago, CBH1926 said:

Some in the community use it as an excuse to loot and burn, they don’t care about Floyd or his death.

In 2016 L.A and N.Y had 628 homicides combined, we had 762, Chicago 2.7m population, NYC and L.A 12m.

About 80% of those killed were black, who do you think their killers were?

Chicago mayor is black, chief of police, attorney general, fire chief etc.

You should see how they responded to the violence.

I don’t think that you understand the problems of the black community better than they do.

If you're going to debate my arguments, please refrain from putting words in my mouth.

Um. I'm assuming the killers are black? I don't get your point. I'm making a point about law enforcement's unfair behaviour towards black people in America due to racial biases. Black on black crime is a separate issue that stems from gang violence and a whole basket of socioeconomic factors.

Anyways.

You're missing my point. 

There is a never-ending cycle in America. A black person gets beaten or killed by a police officer over nothing or a petty crime. Black community gets enraged. Protests start and escalates into violence. Law enforcement suppress protests. Meaningful, systemic change does not occur. And then the same sequence of events take place when another similar incident occurs. 

Here, I'll be more blunt this time. 

At this point, you can bet your ass rioting will keep happening every time a similar incident to that of George Floyd occurs. I don't like it, you don't like it, but it's a reality we face now because of inaction from the top. 

• Hydration 1

1 hour ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

They have plenty of options.    You seem to think the black community is monolithic and everyone is oppressed, which is not true at all.   There are of a lot of black people who have become highly successful despite being discriminated against.  There are lot of successful black businessmen, doctors, scientists, teachers, and politicians who have made it. They did not play the victim card like these protestors are doing.   Instead of using their energy to riot, use their energy to improve themselves.

• Confused 1

Y’all think Melania has any idea of what’s going on? Or does she just go back to shopping online in between finishing off DJT, junior and Eric? 

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

If you're going to debate my arguments, please refrain from putting words in my mouth.

Um. I'm assuming the killers are black? I don't get your point. I'm making a point about law enforcement's unfair behaviour towards black people in America due to racial biases. Black on black crime is a separate issue that stems from gang violence and a whole basket of socioeconomic factors.

Anyways.

You're missing my point. 

There is a never-ending cycle in America. A black person gets beaten or killed by a police officer over nothing or a petty crime. Black community gets enraged. Protests start and escalates into violence. Law enforcement suppress protests. Meaningful, systemic change does not occur. And then the same sequence of events take place when another similar incident occurs. 

Here, I'll be more blunt this time. 

At this point, you can bet your ass rioting will keep happening every time a similar incident to that of George Floyd occurs. I don't like it, you don't like it, but it's a reality we face now because of inaction from the top. 

You are making excuses by saying “let’s not focus on riots” focus on the problem.

Problem is that this cop should be in jail and charged with killing Floyd, if the other 3 cops are guilty they should be charged.

Very simple solution, we don’t need lengthy debate about it.

That does not give an excuse for people to steal and burn and kill.

You mentioned L.A 1992, that poor trucker didn’t deserve to have his skull crashed because of what cops did to King.

Or I can be like you and say, if King wasn’t high and led police on high speed chase endangering their lives, he wouldn’t have gotten his ass whupped.

Edited by CBH1926

2 minutes ago, DonLever said:

They have plenty of options.    You seem to think the black community is monolithic and everyone is oppressed, which is not true at all.   There are of a lot of black people who have become highly successful despite being discriminated against.  There are lot of successful black businessmen, doctors, scientists, teachers, and politicians who have made it. They did not play the victim card like these protestors are doing.   Instead of using their energy to riot, use their energy to improve themselves.

Of course there are successful black people. There are successful people in every ethnic group, whether you're white, black, brown, yellow. 

These riots are a byproduct of a system that puts the black community at a disadvantage. Why do you think successful athletes like Lebron James and Michael Jordan are speaking out and supporting these protests? Shouldn't they be telling their fellow community members to pick themselves up and make something of themselves? 

You claim that I've painted a wide brush on the black community and the oppressions they face. Yet, you do the exact same by claiming all of these protesters are playing the victim card, when in fact, the peaceful majority are trying to speak up against racial injustice in America's justice system. 

But hey, why bother protesting when you can shut up and put your head down to work instead?

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Y’all think Melania has any idea of what’s going on? Or does she just go back to shopping online in between finishing off DJT, junior and Eric? 

Come on man!
I don’t mental image of that freak show before I go to bed.