bishopshodan

USA burns. The George Floyd Thread

1 minute ago, CBH1926 said:

I saw an article (sorry can't remember where) the day after this incident, that said the cops believed that it was "a mistake". The freeway had not been closed as was claimed in the original article....

From the video I saw, it certainly looked like the guy knew what he was doing, but I suppose it's possible that the courts felt there was enough doubt....

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yes, there are some advantages even to the 'mirage' ;)

But without voter reform it's still of limited ability or value IMO. Better than the two party system in the US for sure though.

I don't think its a mirage at all. Maybe more of a "magnet". The NDP and Greens for a pull to certain issues, you can see how the Liberals have had to morph over the years to keep up. Is that true power? depends on whether you care about outcomes. 

Racism will continue to exist until we all have a new enemy to focus all our hatred towards. 

Area 51 Aliens GIF by HISTORY UK

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't think its a mirage at all. Maybe more of a "magnet". The NDP and Greens for a pull to certain issues, you can see how the Liberals have had to morph over the years to keep up. Is that true power? depends on whether you care about outcomes. 

Don't disagree. Just saying it could be better.

• Hydration 1

8 hours ago, CanuckGAME said:

Its EVERYONE causing the chaos and violence.

I think the point being that blacks will be blamed for it.  So it's perfectly acceptable to correct that.

A better choice of words could have been used...sure.  But let's try to be problem solvers, not problem makers.  Namecalling and personal attacks aren't conducive to that.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

What's reverse racism?

Isn't racism just racism.

not if you're alt-right looking to distract from reality. 

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I saw an article (sorry can't remember where) the day after this incident, that said the cops believed that it was "a mistake". The freeway had not been closed as was claimed in the original article....

From the video I saw, it certainly looked like the guy knew what he was doing, but I suppose it's possible that the courts felt there was enough doubt....

I think he got amongst all those people and panicked.

If he was going to run them over he wouldn’t have slowed down and stopped so they can drag him out.

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

this goes beyond pure partisanship tho. We're taught to fear certain people in western cultures, both by omission in our education system and then somehow out in our general culture. 

Idk if it's that simple. If anything the education system - atleast in post secondary - has shifted the other way. In the States the problems are deep rooted obvious. I do think the economics play a big role considering how much crime there is in the black community in some of the bigger cities. And that crime plays a big role in the fear you talk about from others. 

8 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

I think he got amongst all those people and panicked.

If he was going to run them over he wouldn’t have slowed down and stopped so they can drag him out.

If you watch the original video, it looked like he had a path through, but there was one guy lying on the pavement that would have been very difficult to avoid. I believe he would have continued on if not for that one guy, but that doesn't prove he wasn't trying to scare people, or make some kind of statement.

As you said in your original post, I'd say the "frontier justice" delivered by the mob was likely punishment enough....

7 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Idk if it's that simple. If anything the education system - atleast in post secondary - has shifted the other way. In the States the problems are deep rooted obvious. I do think the economics play a big role considering how much crime there is in the black community in some of the bigger cities. And that crime plays a big role in the fear you talk about from others. 

I do think fear is a the root of it all. E.g., Why block people from certain neighbourhoods? fear. Property ownership history in the US is also the history of black poverty in the US. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

How I've seen it described is that in order to HAVE "reverse" racism the race you're considering in that would have to endure all the things that racism brings about...the oppression, slavery, discrimination, crimes against, etc.  

So to "compare" racism against whites versus racism against blacks does more harm than good.  We haven't had to experience the feeling of fear to walk down the street to the pick up something at the store as a police car drives by.  The fear that mothers of black sons have that comes unprompted, unwarranted and unfair.

Trying to make this about racism against whites is exactly why Black Lives Matter and All Lives don't need that spotlight.  Understanding the difference is step one and to focus on whites as the victims is exactly how ignoring racism happens.

Comparing how white's and black's have to deal with racism is like comparing apples to oranges.

But I think it's important call out a POC if they spewed out a bunch of anti white rhetoric.  To truly defeat racism you have to keep everyone accountable, and not let something that someone said slide because of their skin colour.

Racism effects everyone (obviously some people have it a lot worse than others).

• Hydration 1

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/02/us/facebook-protest-violence/index.html

Facebook shuts down far-right group planning to bring weapons to protests

(CNN)Facebook said Tuesday that it had shut down pages and accounts associated with what it said was a hate group, whose members were discussing bringing weapons to the protests that are happening across the country.

The company said it had observed people associated with the group American Guard discussing such action.
The group says it is about American constitutional nationalism, but the Anti-Defamation League (ADL) says American Guard "has a background with connections to anti-immigrant extremism, hatred, and violence. Indeed, before the American Guard was the American Guard, it was actually the Indiana chapter of a group called the Soldiers of Odin USA, a branch of an extreme anti-immigrant and anti-refugee group that originated in Finland in 2015 and has spread to many other countries."
Facebook said it had also taken down accounts linked to the far-right group Proud Boys, though it said it had not seen posts from that group discussing weaponry.

The company said it had been planning on taking action against both groups, but had expedited the process when they saw how the groups were discussing the protests.
Staff who work as part of the company's teams combating dangerous and inauthentic organizations that operate on the platform spoke to CNN on Tuesday.
The staff said the company would take action on people using the platform to organize violence regardless of their political affiliation.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/technology/twitter-removes-account-of-white-nationalist-group-posing-as-antifa-online/ar-BB14YnOE?li=AAggFp4

Twitter has disabled an account that appeared to represent a violent antifa group after it was determined to be a bogus front for a white nationalist group.

The news comes amid mounting reports of disinformation being spread online amid the protests over the killing of George Floyd.

The account, with the handle @ANTIFA_US, was traced back to be a false facade for the white nationalist group Identity Evropa. It was specifically called out by U.S. law enforcement as an example of a left-wing radical group attempting to incite violence amid the unrest and nationwide protests.

"This account violated our platform manipulation and spam policy, specifically the creation of fake accounts. We took action after the account sent a Tweet inciting violence and broke the Twitter Rules," a Twitter spokesperson told ABC News.

Donald Trump Jr. even referenced the bogus account before it was taken down, calling it a "terrorist organization" and tweeting, "They're not even pretending anymore."

Twitter has taken action on other fake accounts linked to Identity Evropa. The accounts were engaged in hateful conduct focused on issues of race, religion and sexual orientation.

Before the fake antifa account was suspended, it drew significant media attention for a tweet that incited violence, according to Twitter.

Antifa -- short for "anti-fascists" -- is not a single organization but rather an umbrella term for far-left-leaning militant groups, according to the Associated Press.

A spokesperson for Facebook told ABC News Wednesday it removed a "handful of largely dormant" pages and accounts connected to the account posing on Twitter as Antifa. The social network said it also worked to block the sharing on its platform of screenshots of the original Twitter post.

In a separate move, Facebook also said it had "identified and removed networks of accounts" linked to two other far-right right groups, one of which, identified as American Guard, Facebook said was discussing attending local protests armed with weapons, as first reported by CNN. Facebook said it had already been working to remove the accounts because the groups had been previously banned, but the social media giant "accelerate[d] our investigation and enforcement" because the talk related to the ongoing protests. 

Meanwhile, as the protests over Floyd's death continue to roil the nation, social media has become ripe with disinformation.

"Time and time again we have seen public figures, media personalities and even government officials amplifying disinformation and extremist rhetoric intended to inspire violence," John Cohen, a former senior Department of Homeland Security official and current ABC News contributor, said. "A great step in deescalating the violence currently facing the Nation would be for this to end.”

Twitter said it is also actively investigating the hashtag #dcblackout and have suspended hundreds of "spammy accounts" that were using it on Monday.

The hashtag first started trending on Monday morning. Twitter users posted about an internet blackout in Washington, D.C., and a cover-up attempt to silence protesters via the hashtag.

The question we all should be asking here is, if you've been going off on ANTIFA in this thread, were you suckered by white supremacist group, just as FF Jr. was?

• Vintage 1

36 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

Comparing how white's and black's have to deal with racism is like comparing apples to oranges.

But I think it's important call out a POC if they spewed out a bunch of anti white rhetoric.  To truly defeat racism you have to keep everyone accountable, and not let something that someone said slide because of their skin colour.

Racism effects everyone (obviously some people have it a lot worse than others).

I agree but here's why it matters.  Blacks are currently engaged in a powerful movement after yet another death of a black man at the hands of police who killed him.  Kneeled on him until he died.  That should be the focus...start and end to this.  

But then you have people who will exploit their efforts and stifle their voices with their own agenda and it will be "blamed" on the protestors (blacks) and continue the cycle.  So it HAS to be called out.  Again...I don't agree with the "whites did" statement...as it's a little of both.  But the fact that white nationalists infiltrate these events...wearing masks so they blend in...is a huge issue.

Vancouver hockey fans were blamed for a riot that many "came for" in a planned event, not something spontaneous.

These thugs have their own ideas but it's unfair to pin blame anywhere else but with them.  And if they're white nationalists...that's their title and we didn't give it to them.

Do others join in to the criminal activity?  Participate?  Even initiate?  Sure.  But it's not ONLY what it appears to be as these slimy groups slither in and must be outed.  They are not part of the protest...they're what's being protested against but are using the opportunity to smear the rallies.  To incite violence in what are generally peaceful protests.

The protests will lose some of their message due to these actions.  And that's part of why it happens.....to throw up a smoke screen. 

We have to stay focused on the real issue - racism against black people.  A black man who was knelt on by police (there to protect and serve citizens....not torture them) died as a result.  There are white nationalists serving IN the police force and so it's not racist to want to address that.  They put the white in the title by making that their agenda and what their group is formed on.

To defeat racism we have to be able to call it out when we see it with accountability, yes.  Which is why identifying whites who are rioting (for reasons of their own) is important and not racist.  Whites using the guise of a black movement in order to continue to keep blacks down is a problem.  They're painting a black picture on a white canvas and we're just pointing that out.

• Hydration 4

For anyone who need to feel better on this day and may just need to smile a little:

• Like 1