bishopshodan

USA burns. The George Floyd Thread

21 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

Not too sure what this all entails.

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/america-in-crisis/minneapolis-council-member-conversations-underway-to-disband-police

If they completely disband the force, who's going to protect the citizens?  Everyone in Minneapolis may be apart of one of the largest social experiments ever.

They should do it and let us know how it turns out.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

sad thing here is, Stock really believed what he was saying. But we shouldn't just shame old Stock out of the picture, we should really be discussing why he thought he had a valid point because I guarantee you many many people in Canada like him do. 

Stockwell Day is a firm believer in creationism.  He sincerely thinks the world is only 6000 years old.  We dealt with him frequently here in the Okanagan.  He's not a bad person at all but his views and beliefs are as backwards as they come

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Stockwell Day is a firm believer in creationism.  He sincerely thinks the world is only 6000 years old.  We dealt with him frequently here in the Okanagan.  He's not a bad person at all but his views and beliefs are as backwards as they come

this should be a moment where he's still involved in the conversation imo, I don't think cancelling him (or self-cancelling in his case) really helps anything. Does Stock think he made an error in his actual thinking on the topic or just said something now allowed in todays media? 

If we can help someone like Stock see where he's off the mark that could help a lot of the less extreme out there. 

I knew a lot of otherwise good people back in SK, that would say the most racist things you've ever heard about first nations people, but otherwise you'd never think they'd be 'bad people'. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

They should do it and let us know how it turns out.

My thoughts exactly.  My guess is that it won't be a pretty ending.

2 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

My thoughts exactly.  My guess is that it won't be a pretty ending.

I heard a story from a friend about 30 years ago that lived in Switzerland.

Man that owned a store went on vacation for a  few days.

Left a note saying come in, buy what you need and leave your money in the register.

When he got back, nothing was missing and items that were purchased money was in the register.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

I heard a story from a friend about 30 years ago that lived in Switzerland.

Man that owned a store went on vacation for a  few days.

Left a note saying come in, buy what you need and leave your money in the register.

When he got back, nothing was missing and items that were purchased money was in the register.

Switzerland is awesome. Very friendly people. The mountain terrain is so beautiful. They are doing a lot of things right for sure as a country. 

I went there a few years ago and a friend of mine has been staying there for like 3 months now.

The downside is that it's ultra expensive from my experience. And they have some interesting laws

https://www.worldnomads.com/travel-safety/europe/switzerland/swiss-laws-and-customs 

For a neutral country, they take security pretty seriously, and you'd be well advised to be respectful of that. Citizens and visitors in Switzerland must carry identification with them at all times. If you are stopped without valid identification (a driver's licence or photocopy of your passport) there is a possibility that you may be taken in for questioning by police.

One of the most well known regulations in Switzerland relates to National Service, where each Swiss male has to spend time each year in a training camp which forms part of the military. Swiss men also have a gun in their home, which is a part of the military framework in readiness for potential conflict.

Edited by Chicken.
  • Hydration 1

Just now, Chicken. said:

Switzerland is awesome. Very friendly people. The mountain terrain is so beautiful. They are doing a lot of things right for sure as a country. 

I went there a few years ago and a friend of mine has been staying there for like 3 months now.

The downsize is that it's ultra expensive from my experience. And they have some interesting laws

https://www.worldnomads.com/travel-safety/europe/switzerland/swiss-laws-and-customs 

For a neutral country, they take security pretty seriously, and you'd be well advised to be respectful of that. Citizens and visitors in Switzerland must carry identification with them at all times. If you are stopped without valid identification (a driver's licence or photocopy of your passport) there is a possibility that you may be taken in for questioning by police.

One of the most well known regulations in Switzerland relates to National Service, where each Swiss male has to spend time each year in a training camp which forms part of the military. Swiss men also have a gun in their home, which is a part of the military framework in readiness for potential conflict.

Beautiful place indeed, probably one of the best ran countries in the world and yes it’s expensive for sure.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Beautiful place indeed, probably one of the best ran countries in the world and yes it’s expensive for sure.

Sleezy though their "neutrality" and Nazi gold profiteering past.  Even Donnie wouldn't do that.  Sometimes you have to take a stand.  

edit:  yes, I'm aware of how a number of Canadian companies made money selling munitions/etc. to the Americans during the Vietnam war despite being "officially" against that action (as well as numerous "volunteers" willing to fight in the American armed forces in Vietnam - outnumbering actually the amount of draft dodgers that came to Canada).

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Sleezy though their "neutrality" and Nazi gold profiteering past.  Even Donnie wouldn't do that.  Sometimes you have to take a stand.  

edit:  yes, I'm aware of how a number of Canadian companies made money selling munitions/etc. to the Americans during the Vietnam war despite being "officially" against that action (as well as numerous "volunteers" willing to fight in the American armed forces in Vietnam - outnumbering actually the amount of draft dodgers that came to Canada).

Swiss neutrality starts back in 15th century and they haven’t been involved in war since 1815.

Its not like they decided before the WW2 to become neutral.

Good on them, countries that haven’t been fighting a lot a way better off vs. those that are in perpetual war cycle.

24 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

:lol:...................:picard:

I like Drew Brees, but he really stepped in it here.

You have to be pretty clued out, or seriously insulated from reality not to realize that the "kneeling disrespects the flag" trope is inaccurate and offensive. He's since apologized, but I think the damage has done.

I think the Saints had better look to upgrade their O-Line....

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

George W's Granddaddy did basically the same thing.  I highly doubt Chump would have the decency to avoid the same mistake, especially given his racist history and dealings with Saudi Arabia.

2 hours ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

6e53bd2.jpg

Not bad... but with all stats, it's just portraying a message the author wishes to show.

It would be better if it also included First Nations and Asians too.

Is racism just against all non-whites or just primarily against blacks and Latinos?  I mean would a racist cop be... "them stupid Blacks... but this Asian guys, he's cool..."?

Correlate crime and poverty.... match up those numbers against each demographic of people, it would be a more accurate picture.

Socio-economic conditions would probably carry more weight than just skin colour maybe.  Which ultimately goes back to the circular argument... are the Blacks more targeted because they commit more crime or they are treated more harshly and thus some are more likely to engage in criminal activities? 

Asians as a whole greatly values education... thus they are on average more prosperous than Whites.  Predominant Black culture discriminates against education... and they are the most impoverished.  The crab in the bucket theory... the Black community may potentially hold down other Blacks more than anything else.  

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I doubt it, it's like pandora's box has been opened. Charging four cops isn't going to be enough to make everyone cease and desist, people are out in the streets protesting and despite the pushback it seems more and more people are standing up. 

Yes there are looters, anarchists, police both uniformed and probably undercover, and a bunch of other groups involved but that doesn't change the fact that thousands and thousands of people in the States and around the world are out protesting for change. 

The only difference from the other times being the economic uncertainty and joblessness adding fuel to the fire. Despite that, now that all the cops have been charged I think the anger has and will continue to dry up considerably over the next several days and that'll be that

Edited by Tortorella's Rant

9 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Not bad... but with all stats, it's just portraying a message the author wishes to show.

Is racism just against all non-whites or just primarily against blacks and Latinos?  I mean would a racist cop be... "them stupid Blacks... but this Asian guys, he's cool..."?

Correlate crime and poverty.... match up those numbers against each demographic of people, it would be a more accurate picture.

Socio-economic conditions would probably carry more weight than just skin colour maybe.  Which ultimately goes back to the circular argument... are the Blacks more targeted because they commit more crime or they are treated more harshly and thus some are more likely to engage in criminal activities? 

Asians as a whole greatly values education... thus they are on average more prosperous than Whites.  Predominant Black culture discriminates against education... and they are the most impoverished.  The crab in the bucket theory... the Black community may potentially hold down other Blacks more than anything else.  

That's a lot of work there that maybe you should do if you have concerns.  And no, racism isn't limited to blacks or Latinos.  I mean come on.

1 hour ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

:lol:...................:picard:

Yet LeBron doesn't think Daryl Morey should have spoken out about what he believed in.  

LeBron is absolutely allowed his opinion... what's most disappointing is that people actually care what athletes/celebrities think about issues they have no real ideas about.  

Being able to slam dunk or throw a football doesn't mean they know what they are talking about... I mean I'm good/great at my job (finance)... but no one should be listening to my opinions as gospel.  

• Like 1
  • Hydration 2

2 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

The only difference from the other times being the economic uncertainty and joblessness adding fuel to the fire. Despite that, now that all the cops have been charged I think the anger has and will continue to dry up considerably over the next several days and that'll be that

I'd say they throw fuel on the fire but not all the fuel is ending up on this fire as the racial issue in the US, while tied to those other things, is also very much it's own can of worms. That being said, Covid giving way to economic shutdown has certainly played it's part in freeing up people to actually go out and protest. 

It's not just about the death of one man, it goes beyond that. Charging the cops involved in the death of George Floyd isn't likely to put an end to things. Not as things have continued to escalate with the protests, police brutality, and everything else that's been caught up in the storm. There are many calling for systematic change and the use of force that has been resulting in brutality against those protesting against police brutality is a fuel of it's own. 

We could both end up being wrong, I've got no functioning crystal ball, but I personally don't see this dying soon. 

4 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

'Asians' encompass a lot of different cultures. Asia is a massive continent, home to many different people of different races. I obviously know you are aware of this from your posting. Our view of Asians has been skewed by the ones that we meet and interact with in NA. I am not big on blanket statements, "Asians as a whole greatly values education", maybe the elite subset of Asians that you encountered in NA. Of course educated people will emphasize the importance of education. Having lived in a few Asian countries, I have seen the effects of privilege and the variance between the education of the elite and the poor. So to me that statement is skewed by your point of view.

its hard to pin down racism just because it seems so illogical and antithetical to everything we are generally taught growing up. I believe the bias against black Americans to be a different beast entirely. There are many videos I have seen of black Americans being treated brutally, it's something that I have not seen to the same extent against other minorities. Its just my sense of the situation, I have been to many Asian countries as well which are viciously racist against anyone that is black. So if you are trying to find some logic or rationale here, I don't think there is. It is just plain stupidity disguised as superiority. 

3 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

That's a lot of work there that maybe you should do if you have concerns.  And no, racism isn't limited to blacks or Latinos.  I mean come on.

I mean it's pretty obvious what's happening when you view the entire picture is it not?  I mean the cops even kills more Whites on average than every other industrialized country and even most 2nd tiered countries too.  It goes to show there's an overall violence problem in the US.  

It's a fact that poverty and crime is related... even the Ancient Greeks knew that.  

Lead poisoning is also a leading factor in regards to violent tendencies... and the US has lots of legacy lead pipes, most in the more impoverished locations.

Black Americans has the highest rate of single-mothers.... and children of single parents generally do not excel in education as much as those from family units with 2 parents.  

Education is perhaps the best equalizer in terms of socio-economic outcomes... but the dropout rate for Blacks is double of Whites and 3 times of Asians.  

Whether or not this is inherently racism that is causing all this.... maybe, maybe not.  Definitely poor governance and inept social and infrastructure planning.  

A lot has to do with culture as well.  How much does "thug" culture negatively impact the average Black person?  I mean... Asians make fun of people who don't go to university... but Blacks make fun of other Blacks that do go to university... something isn't right with that. 

When White/Asian high school students aspire to became doctors, lawyers, engineers, etc.... but Black youths aspires to be rappers and pro-athletes... it may be the product of poor education environment or maybe different cultural norms that aren't compatible with reality.

That being said.... lots of racist folks out there, but also lots of POS individuals in general.  Lots of overlap there.  

While it is easy to point at racism as the root cause as it's just the easiest and most emotional of choices, there are way bigger issues that should also be addressed.  

It is imperative to not just let "fighting racism" be the be all end all "solution" as it may potentially take away real tangible issues that can be solved more readily and with greater impact.