Sign in to follow this  
xereau

Canucks' first-round pick transfers to Devils if they make playoffs

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

That first round pick (potential lotto pick) would be a nice consolation prize but for me playoffs is more important this year.

 

We need to start getting our young guys playoff experience. Especially our Captain who’s just entering his prime at 25 and has only had 6 games experience.

 

Plus I’ve said it before this may be the best roster we can ice for awhile with the cap crunch coming. Gotta take advantage of that while also boosting the value of guys like Roussel, Sutter, Beagle, Pearson, Benn, and Ferland. A few of which were going to have no choice but to trade.

seems like a bit of a no-lose situation really, we get a lotto pick or we gain much needed playoff experience. 

  • Hydration 3
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

seems like a bit of a no-lose situation really, we get a lotto pick or we gain much needed playoff experience. 

Exactly. 
 

Either way they’re going to get some high pressure games. And if it turns out that pick gives us a 12.5% chance for a top 3 pick I’m sure more people will start leaning towards wanting the pick.

 

But playoffs are just so valuable right now even if they’re a different format. Look at what has happened to Buffalo all these years. Even with all the high end talent they’ve drafted they’re still missing every year. After a while it becomes the culture of the team and unless you can break it with players like McDavid and Draisaitl, it’s very hard to change that culture.

  • Like 1
  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, DeNiro said:

If fans were involved this year I would say you might be right.

 

However unless Minny is chosen to be a hub city (very doubtful now) I don’t think it will be a factor.

Been a fan since Linden was drafted so my pessimism may show up from time to time.

Edited by Tre Mac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

That first round pick (potential lotto pick) would be a nice consolation prize but for me playoffs is more important this year.

 

We need to start getting our young guys playoff experience. Especially our Captain who’s just entering his prime at 25 and has only had 6 games experience.

 

Plus I’ve said it before this may be the best roster we can ice for awhile with the cap crunch coming. Gotta take advantage of that while also boosting the value of guys like Roussel, Sutter, Beagle, Pearson, Benn, and Ferland. A few of which were going to have no choice but to trade.

absolutely no qualms of that argument, I'm just saying I could live with either outcome if we won or lost to Minnesota.

 

Obviously prefer a long run in the playoffs.

  • Burr 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We lose a pick either this year or next, this year it’s at best 16th, next year it would be unconditional, could be 1st. I’d rather give up the pick now and have some playoff fun and experience as a bonus.

  • Hydration 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

So don't choke, simple right?

 

Was semi-joking with my buddies that the riots will be thier MinnyStrong rallying cry based on our luck(not to make light of what is going on there). 

Imagine if we had to play 3 games in Minni in the next 12 days

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ba;;isticsports said:

The teleport idea is interesting, common NHL players are much better than players of 1982 with much better equipment too. My bet is on  the 2020 Canucks skating by the 1982 team, If it's 1982 Mustang or 2020 Mustang i know which one i want

Back to the teleport idea

Who would win a 7 game series The '72 Team Canada vs 2020 NHL Teams ?

Played with '72 equipment and rules and again with 2020 equipment and rules?

That i would like to see, just to see how it would play out

So what if we sent a 2020 team back into the past, 

how do you think they would do against an 82 or 74 team?

 

Remember Conn Smythe, "If you can't beat them in a Soy Latte bar, you can't beat em on the ice"

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I would love the Canucks to make the playoffs and get lots of experience, but I will also be happy if we also retain the first round pick too.

 

If we land within the 8-15 range, there are some really good prospects that could help us too. 

Same.

How do we draft 8th?

all the teams below us win their series (non-playoff series)  and we lose?

 

It is kind of the best of both worlds for us at this point

This non-playoff series is defacto playoff experience

so if we lose we get PO experience and the pick

if we win, we get more experience

 

its kind of win-win at this point

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we all agree that we would do the JT Miller trade all over again.
The play-in is essentially the post-season, so our young guys will be getting playoff experience. Only thing that sucks is that there won't be any fans.

If we advance, we will be getting more playoff experience. If we lose, we'll have a chance at winning the lottery. Win win.

  • Hydration 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lmm said:

Same.

How do we draft 8th?

all the teams below us win their series (non-playoff series)  and we lose?

 

It is kind of the best of both worlds for us at this point

This non-playoff series is defacto playoff experience

so if we lose we get PO experience and the pick

if we win, we get more experience

 

its kind of win-win at this point

Not particularly sure,

 

TBH a little confused of the draft lottery format myself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lmm said:

So what if we sent a 2020 team back into the past, 

how do you think they would do against an 82 or 74 team?

 

Remember Conn Smythe, "If you can't beat them in a Soy Latte bar, you can't beat em on the ice"

I don't recall the quote

Different times, different game,

Can't hit what you can't keep up with

What rules are you playing with makes a big difference (most likely same result)

Really enjoyed all the past great teams, but the average players now, would be stars in those days i would think

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Not particularly sure,

 

TBH a little confused of the draft lottery format myself.

yes,

I was guessing at the answer to your question

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CanuckleHorse said:

If we won the cup would the pick be the last pick in the 1st round?

Yes.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I would love the Canucks to make the playoffs and get lots of experience, but I will also be happy if we also retain the first round pick too.

 

If we land within the 8-15 range, there are some really good prospects that could help us too. 

We ain't winning the cup I say go for the pick its a great draft much better then next year

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

We ain't winning the cup I say go for the pick its a great draft much better then next year

We aren't tanking. Can't build a losing culture. Going on a deep playoff run would be great for our experience.

We are also a dark horse to win the cup, because we're now fully healthy. Our young guys could perform beyond expectations, and guys like Toffoli, Virtanen, and Horvat are made for playoff hockey.
That being said, if we push it to a 5 game series, and get the pick back after a hard fought battle, I'll be happy for our team.

The only way we lose, in my mind is if we get swept.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NaveJoseph said:

We aren't tanking. Can't build a losing culture. Going on a deep playoff run would be great for our experience.

We are also a dark horse to win the cup, because we're now fully healthy. Our young guys could perform beyond expectations, and guys like Toffoli, Virtanen, and Horvat are made for playoff hockey.
That being said, if we push it to a 5 game series, and get the pick back after a hard fought battle, I'll be happy for our team.

The only way we lose, in my mind is if we get swept.

Ya I would like to win as well I was just saying to the other blogger I'd rather be in this draft in the first round then next year. We ain't winning a cup this year and a possible decent pick this year with how good this draft is would be nice. Watch us win the series with Minny in 5, then get swept in the next series. That would be Vancouvers style

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

Ya I would like to win as well I was just saying to the other blogger I'd rather be in this draft in the first round then next year. We ain't winning a cup this year and a possible decent pick this year with how good this draft is would be nice. Watch us win the series with Minny in 5, then get swept in the next series. That would be Vancouvers style

The issue with the pick this year, is that it will be hard to evaluate players due to the ramifications of COVID-19. However, since time has passed, those issues aren't as pressing. The NFL virtual draft went forward smoothly, despite some people thinking that it would be a disaster. Now, teams have had more time to prepare for interviewing players online, and things like that. And, as you've said, it's a very promising group of prospects. It's unfortunate that seasons have been cut short without ever going into the playoffs. But, these players have shown a lot of promise. 

Edited by NaveJoseph
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

We lose a pick either this year or next, this year it’s at best 16th, next year it would be unconditional, could be 1st. I’d rather give up the pick now and have some playoff fun and experience as a bonus.

This.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.