The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) TBay & Ottawa deal

Posting this for many reasons. IF we can get this campaign decided(2019-20), determine a champ, & move to off-season, I'll suggest these are two of the most interesting franchises to track draft/FA time moves.

Their situations are near polar-opposite, suggesting they could be ideal trade-partners. One deterent is that they'll likely wind up pretty solid Div-rivals(when OTT finally turns corner).

TBay is hooped for cap. They've also been generous with the NTC's. They have a nice problem of too many budding gems, & lack of roster/cap space. 76 mill/15 guys..with some RFA studs to sign.

Ottawa has(or soon will) likely the best prospect/pick stash in the league. That, & a tonne of cap space. With all these picks/futures they won't have roster space to properly develop & insert all assets on sched. Seems a good time to consolidate & package quantity, for precise, positional-quality.

Imagining Ottawa gets the #2 & #5 OA picks. Pick Byfield with #2, then...

Ottawa: #5 OA, mid-2nd rd pick..#50 OA say, Logan Brown, Wolanin/Lajoie(choose 1) Cond 2021 2nd( if both RFA's sign)

TBay: Sergachev, Cirelli, Paquette

Edited by Nuxfanabroad

24 minutes ago, Pears said:

Certainly interesting, Tampa will need to clear cap but I’m not sure if they’d be willing to move Sergachev+Cirelli to do it. 

These deal-patterns are interesting..because one could argue a high pick(& 3 yrs of ELC) has NEVER held such relative-value:

- a strong, deep draft

- a tanking economy & economic-uncertainty

- An approaching ED, requiring hard protection-choices for top teams

- Excitement over young prospects seems to be rising for almost all fanbases

With all this in mind, there are gonna be some deals(futures, for TOP players) that'll likely knock our socks off.

If Ottawa is sharp, they should sell some future treasures this off-season.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

These deal-patterns are interesting..because one could argue a high pick(& 3 yrs of ELC) has NEVER held such relative-value:

- a strong, deep draft

- a tanking economy & economic-uncertainty

- An approaching ED, requiring hard protection-choices for top teams

- Excitement over young prospects seems to be rising for almost all fanbases

With all this in mind, there are gonna be some deals(futures, for TOP players) that'll likely knock our socks off.

If Ottawa is sharp, they should sell some future treasures this off-season.

Too bad Melnyk is too damn cheap to take advantage of the teams riches.

Hate that guy. Ottawa deserves better.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Posting this for many reasons. IF we can get this campaign decided(2019-20), determine a champ, & move to off-season, I'll suggest these are two of the most interesting franchises to track draft/FA time moves.

Their situations are near polar-opposite, suggesting they could be ideal trade-partners. One deterent is that they'll likely wind up pretty solid Div-rivals(when OTT finally turns corner).

TBay is hooped for cap. They've also been generous with the NTC's. They have a nice problem of too many budding gems, & lack of roster/cap space. 76 mill/15 guys..with some RFA studs to sign.

Ottawa has(or soon will) likely the best prospect/pick stash in the league. That, & a tonne of cap space. With all these picks/futures they won't have roster space to properly develop & insert all assets on sched. Seems a good time to consolidate & package quantity, for precise, positional-quality.

Imagining Ottawa gets the #2 & #5 OA picks. Pick Byfield with #2, then...

Ottawa: #5 OA, mid-2nd rd pick..#50 OA say, Logan Brown, Wolanin/Lajoie(choose 1) Cond 2021 2nd( if both RFA's sign)

TBay: Sergachev, Cirelli, Paquette

Yes that would be a very realistic trade to help both teams... Sergachev is a stud D man to build around...

If Ottawa had a owner will deep pockets they could make some amazing trades with teams up against the cap..

On 5/31/2020 at 3:30 AM, luckylager said:

Too bad Melnyk is too damn cheap to take advantage of the teams riches.

Hate that guy. Ottawa deserves better.

They sure do. Maybe the NHL is worried that nobody else in OTT would buy the team - but Melnyk and Dorian iced a team that in spirit fell short of the cap floor by 30% in terms of actual dollars.   Three players on long term injury (largely covered by insurance) that cap wise cost more then their top 7 defenseman (around 12.5 million)... sure Chabot is up for his raise.. but still this season I’m not really sure how they got away with it as it doesn’t follow the spirit of the CBA but in reverse order.      The cap floor is there to make sure everyone ices a competitive team.    Definitely get the endless LE proposals that send him to OTT, even with their payroll going up naturally given their young core, they still have miles of cap space left and it’s exactly the type of deal OTT would probably go for if they needed help reaching the floor again (which they won’t really).   Next season they should inch closer but still could be under in actual dollars spent.   Have to wonder if this sort of circumvention will be addressed next CBA.   Fortunately they’ve filled their coffers to the brim...but I do feel sorry for their fans as it wouldn’t be surprising to see some of those new guys get recycled into spare parts when they need them the most - just to keep their actual dollars down when it’s time to re-sign them.  Melnyk was ousted by his own board and lost control of his company ... I’d also be worried that he’d sell the team to recover some losses - the silver lining I suppose would be if they got sold to Quebec City. 

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, IBatch said:

They sure do. Maybe the NHL is worried that nobody else in OTT would buy the team - but Melnyk and Dorian iced a team that in spirit fell short of the cap floor by 30% in terms of actual dollars.   Three players on long term injury (largely covered by insurance) that cap wise cost more then their top 7 defenseman (around 12.5 million)... sure Chabot is up for his raise.. but still this season I’m not really sure how they got away with it as it doesn’t follow the spirit of the CBA but in reverse order.      The cap floor is there to make sure everyone ices a competitive team.    Definitely get the endless LE proposals that send him to OTT, even with their payroll going up naturally given their young core, they still have miles of cap space left and it’s exactly the type of deal OTT would probably go for if they needed help reaching the floor again (which they won’t really).   Next season they should inch closer but still could be under in actual dollars spent.   Have to wonder if this sort of circumvention will be addressed next CBA.   Fortunately they’ve filled their coffers to the brim...but I do feel sorry for their fans as it wouldn’t be surprising to see some of those new guys get recycled into spare parts when they need them the most - just to keep their actual dollars down when it’s time to re-sign them.  Melnyk was ousted by his own board and lost control of his company ... I’d also be worried that he’d sell the team to recover some losses - the silver lining I suppose would be if they got sold to Quebec City. 

Great post, IB!

Lots of reasons the NHL should nudge Melnyk. Maybe hammering him with a negative cap hit for his type of circumvention would be just. Might be the push he needs.

In an ideal world Ottawa/investors build a new rink(one that's actually in Ottawa) and Melnyk sells.

QC is bound to get a team back soon enough, too many southern markets are in the red, it's only a matter of time.

Edited by luckylager
  • Cheers 1

Ottawa could offer similar to the above pkg to the Flamers, for Matthew Tkachuk.

Perhaps #5OA, Brannstrom & a 2nd r pick? With both bros, Ottawa might be able to sign long term a little more reasonably?

Flamers get a couple strong young pieces, another ticket & cap-relief.

• 4 weeks later...