The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ramen vs Cup Noodle

24 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Not a fan of the cup/bowl style noodles, as I always taste the container, whether it’s made of plastic or styrofoam. When I do eat the cup/bowl noodles, I take everything out and prepare them in a pot. Usually add in a bunch of stuff—veggies, sauces, spices, meats, etc—and lately cracking a raw egg in at the end (and letting the soup cook it lightly, and then breaking open that runny yolk) is kinda my thing. And adding hot sauce. Lots of hot sauce, even if it’s already a “spicy” version.

I've tried to poach an egg in the soup but it just turns to egg drop ramen.

Soft boiled egg though... golden.

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, naslund.is.king said:

is ichiban garbage compared to the ones mentioned here?

Pretty much. 

Except for this:

7FA58E02-BF23-4DF7-90E2-FD6C402A4550.jpeg.5dbfc9cf3bc71552660912bc0dbf9d46.jpeg

With a few additions, you can pull off a quick yakisoba that’s pretty decent. It’s basically stir fried noodles though, and not a soup.

But ichiban ramen is trash, imo. Any grocery store with a decent Asian section should have at least a dozen better options. 

• Upvote 1

Indomie noodles with the 5 flavour packs.

Now that's some gourmet right there.

Blows the doors off 'Ichiban' or 'Mr Noodles'.

Edit: some amazon reviews of the Indomie Mie Goreng instant noodles:

"I should have listened to a review not to do it, not to order this! why didn't i listen?! it'll consume your soul with its deliciousness and it'll occupy your every thought whenever you get even a tiny bit hungry. i sacrificed so much of my life savings just to keep having this heroin in noodle form. please heed our warning give these noodles a pass and order something less tastefully addicting!"

and the review on which it's based:

"This stuff destroyed my life. Don't do it. Don't order it. 30 is too much you will end up eating it all in a week and a half and destroying your body, mind, family, friends, and job. Don't say I didn't warn you."

71EcK0qDxOL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Unrelated: If you find a good udon soup noodle somewhere, that's your real jam. But the above noodles will suffice.

Edited by brownky
  • Cheers 2

Been eating Japanese for 20+ yrs, but can't remember trying Cup noodles! :^O

The Missus loves that stuff though..she snacks on that; I go with pasta. We often go to a nearby ramen shop(by the Hwy)..they also got all-U-can-eat Kimchi. Get a large draft beer(in summertime) & it's slurpin'-Utopia.

• Cheers 1

I can't wait till Marutama Ramen offers dine in again. Id like to think Im a ramen connesiure and have tried most of the ramen shops in the lower mainland. Marutama is not like a usual ramen since its chicken base. Its crazy when I first tried it, I thought to myself "  the broth is ok, noodles are really good, the egg is excellent, chasiu is so so, over all its decent" but then for some reason in the middle of the week you start to crave it

I <3 Ichiban but I may as well just inject salt straight into my veins.  I have hypertension so it's a no, but sometimes I live dangerously because I love it.

I'm a weirdo...don't like spicy stuff.  But my daughter is crazy about ramen.

I find all the other stuff I've tried just isn't Ichiban.  That's what it does...reminds me that it's not my favourite.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

I can't wait till Marutama Ramen offers dine in again. Id like to think Im a ramen connesiure and have tried most of the ramen shops in the lower mainland. Marutama is not like a usual ramen since its chicken base. Its crazy when I first tried it, I thought to myself "  the broth is ok, noodles are really good, the egg is excellent, chasiu is so so, over all its decent" but then for some reason in the middle of the week you start to crave it

chicken ramen is awesome. Miso chicken base is my personal favourite. 

My kids had friends who went through a phase of eating that packaged stuff without water/heating....just dumped the msg packet straight onto the hard noodles, crunched them up then ate them like potato chips out of the package.  Ew.

8 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

My kids had friends who went through a phase of eating that packaged stuff without water/heating....just dumped the msg packet straight onto the hard noodles, crunched them up then ate them like potato chips out of the package.  Ew.

I lived in a place where this was lunch for about 25% of the kids I went to school with.

10 hours ago, brownky said:

Indomie noodles with the 5 flavour packs.

Now that's some gourmet right there.

Blows the doors off 'Ichiban' or 'Mr Noodles'.

Edit: some amazon reviews of the Indomie Mie Goreng instant noodles:

"I should have listened to a review not to do it, not to order this! why didn't i listen?! it'll consume your soul with its deliciousness and it'll occupy your every thought whenever you get even a tiny bit hungry. i sacrificed so much of my life savings just to keep having this heroin in noodle form. please heed our warning give these noodles a pass and order something less tastefully addicting!"

and the review on which it's based:

"This stuff destroyed my life. Don't do it. Don't order it. 30 is too much you will end up eating it all in a week and a half and destroying your body, mind, family, friends, and job. Don't say I didn't warn you."

71EcK0qDxOL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Unrelated: If you find a good udon soup noodle somewhere, that's your real jam. But the above noodles will suffice.

I use the 5 flavour packet thingys and add it to farkay noodles , or a small pot of rice .. some 711 s carry  3 different flavours ,hot , chicken, and the one in your picture ' indomie also has potatoe chips with these flavours but thats just weird . these noodles are the best!

15 hours ago, luckylager said:

I've tried to poach an egg in the soup but it just turns to egg drop ramen.

Soft boiled egg though... golden.

this guys nails it on how to make the perfect ramen egg

• Cheers 1