The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cannabis Growers Anonymous

luckylager

1 hour ago, drummerboy said:

This is so right.    
when I moved back to the coast years ago I had 4 apricot kush going on my deck.    

They were glorious.  6-7’ tall.  They had pounds on them.     
I got greedy and waited too long.   I just wanted 1 more week to really finish them.  One day of rain at that point was all it took.   
They moulded away before I could bring them in.     I was heartbroken 

Brutal. That hurts man. Been there

14 hours ago, zapperman said:

I sure wish I got into this earlier. Great thread and awesome information. To be clear, I am the biggest amateur around. Using and growing. I recently started growing, mainly after a colleague of mine decided to do it and mentioned to me so I decided, what the hell, I want to give it a shot. More of a hobby and personal challenge. Beyond grass, I have never grown a thing in my life. I had no idea it would be so rewarding. To be clear, my plants are less than 2 weeks old. I have no idea what I am doing and just learning as I go. Little did I know there was so much to learn. Sent my daughter to get seeds for me as I had no idea what to get. She came back with 5 seeds of purple kush. Whatever that means. I have successfully germinated them and now have 5 plants about 1.5” high in solo cups. I can’t believe how fun/ rewarding it is to look after them. I move them outside daily and keep them under lights until about 11 each night. Now I am trying to decide what to do next. I have good yard and a great spot for plants outside that my wife always grew sunflowers and has allowed me to use. My intention was just to dump them there when they’re ready. Now I’m not so sure if I should do that or if I should just keep them in pots. Allowing me to bring them in in the fall. I know I am late to the game so thinking pots may be best. But I would still just rather just dig out a big hole and fill up with good soil. So much to learn but man I’m enjoying this. I just read as much as I can before each stage in the process. I still am clueless about the flowering and harvesting phases. But I’ll get there. Will definitely be following this thread. 

Have you "sexed" the plants to determine male versus female?

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2020 at 4:01 PM, luckylager said:

Blue Dream

20200603_152250.thumb.jpg.9ffa14fc5eaee56f2846de1814f35e56.jpg

20200616_112249.thumb.jpg.c4ab227ae7855e360ddd95b671ebacb6.jpg

Grapefruit Kush - Bush

20200603_152210.thumb.jpg.04fd3a43c28bb7e1e1b88e20ab2f2b15.jpg

20200616_112212.thumb.jpg.ce2e1f215cfe56324a8529556e27ba89.jpg

Had a Cinderella99 show up on my doorstep so I gave it a home(Background). Dug a big tote hole for it but was missing a tote. Filled er up with my usual mix and plunked her down. I prefer totes as opposed to in ground. In the past I've noticed in ground plants veg for longer and get a lot bigger, but tend to finish a couple weeks later than I'd like...

Kushbush (foreground)

20200603_152326.jpg

GK (left) will be going in its tote and in the hole behind it very soon. I'm still mad at the Purple Papaya (right) and may just leave it in that small pot.

20200616_112238.thumb.jpg.5f751e70ebd443d5bfe635ba351b4bee.jpg

GK in its tote-hole.. Still mad at the Purple Papaya (left)

I'll try to keep updating every couple of weeks. Happy growing

Edited by luckylager

Looking great @luckylager! I’m envious. Since my last post I’ve had little luck. My seedlings were just not growing then started yellowing. I found out yesterday it was most likely nitrogen deficiency. Have since replenished N starting yesterday and they do indeed look to be recovering. Glad I’m sorting out what to look for now. Already looking forward to getting an early start next spring with the  experience I’m gaining with all my missteps so far. Lol. Still planning on planting these in ground, if they ever get to that point that is. At least they are back to green now and are much less wilty...

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, zapperman said:

Looking great @luckylager! I’m envious. Since my last post I’ve had little luck. My seedlings were just not growing then started yellowing. I found out yesterday it was most likely nitrogen deficiency. Have since replenished N starting yesterday and they do indeed look to be recovering. Glad I’m sorting out what to look for now. Already looking forward to getting an early start next spring with the  experience I’m gaining with all my missteps so far. Lol. Still planning on planting these in ground, if they ever get to that point that is. At least they are back to green now and are much less wilty...

Seedlings not growing, wilting, yellowing is usually from overwatering and not from lack of nutes.

Let the soil dry out between waterings. 

10 hours ago, luckylager said:

Seedlings not growing, wilting, yellowing is usually from overwatering and not from lack of nutes.

Yeah that’s what I thought/ hoped at first as well. But I was letting it dry out and it just wasn’t working. This morning they have really perked up so hopefully they can get back on track now. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, zapperman said:

Yeah that’s what I thought/ hoped at first as well. But I was letting it dry out and it just wasn’t working. This morning they have really perked up so hopefully they can get back on track now. 

11 hours ago, luckylager said:

could be a nute lockout too if the water isn't ph'd right.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, stawns said:

Thanks. They grew between 0.5 - 1cm today alone after being stunted and not growing at all the past 2 weeks. I think I have it sorted out for now. The lockout is definitely something to be aware of for me and something I had no knowledge of until you mentioned it. I’m such an amateur. Lol. 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, zapperman said:

Thanks. They grew between 0.5 - 1cm today alone after being stunted and not growing at all the past 2 weeks. I think I have it sorted out for now. The lockout is definitely something to be aware of for me and something I had no knowledge of until you mentioned it. I’m such an amateur. Lol. 

I'm no expert either, you just pick things up with experience and research!  Glad they've picked it up.  Are they currently outside?

53 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'm no expert either, you just pick things up with experience and research!  Glad they've picked it up.  Are they currently outside?

No still in solo cups and I think still too small yet. I just move them outside during the day. I have my spot prepped and ready for them to plant in ground outside when the time is right. 

10 hours ago, stawns said:

I always overlook that, the water on the Island is very soft. I rarely leave my out water to evaporate the chlorine and have never had ph issues here.

• Vintage 1

49 minutes ago, zapperman said:

No still in solo cups and I think still too small yet. I just move them outside during the day. I have my spot prepped and ready for them to plant in ground outside when the time is right. 

How tall?

32 minutes ago, zapperman said:

I’m almost embarrassed to admit - about  2” average. Shortest one is about 1.5. Biggest/ healthiest one is about 2.5. I planted them May 26. 

May 26 is late. They'll be fine.

Dont transplant until you have at least one set of full (5point) leaves

Ok a question for those with experience. Definitely not me. I’m still in the early stage, moving plants outside daily, then bringing them in during early evening under my lights. Question is - what is better - outside on an overcast/ dreary day or inside under my lights? From what I’ve found, it looks like outdoor light even in these circumstances is still better. Any experience with this?

On 6/21/2020 at 9:36 AM, zapperman said:

Ok a question for those with experience. Definitely not me. I’m still in the early stage, moving plants outside daily, then bringing them in during early evening under my lights. Question is - what is better - outside on an overcast/ dreary day or inside under my lights? From what I’ve found, it looks like outdoor light even in these circumstances is still better. Any experience with this?

Just leave them outside starting early/mid May.

2 hours ago, luckylager said:

Just leave them outside starting early/mid May.

Thanks Lucky. I planted them last Wed. In nature’s hands now. Lol. Although two plants already have a few holes in the leaves from critters. The learning never ends. They are all otherwise doing pretty well. 

51 minutes ago, zapperman said:

Thanks Lucky. I planted them last Wed. In nature’s hands now. Lol. Although two plants already have a few holes in the leaves from critters. The learning never ends. They are all otherwise doing pretty well. 

You're right, the learning never ends.

As far as the insects go, you can use neem oil, safers soap or a homemade mixture of 2tbsp liquid dish detergent per 1lt of water (in a spray bottle) until they start to bud.

Edit - to be clear, never ever spray a flowering plant. Ever. Never.

That said, if you have healthy plants that get lots of sun and airflow you shouldn't worry about bad bugs too much. A few holes here and there are NBD, can usually find the culprit on the plant and remove by hand.

If you get spider mites, scale or aphids - nuke those &^@#ing terrorists back to Albertastan

Edited by luckylager
  • Haha 1