The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Chris Tanev, Canucks want new contract

Tanev's playing this like an open book.  Would love to have him back.  Again, once we know the cap going forward, a lot of business can get done league wide.  I imagine that expiring contracts have to be renewed before they can play after June 30.  C'mon Bettman, look at your calendar, it's June already, figure it out!

• Wat 1

I don't really care about the $ amount but we cant be signing him long term. 3 years at 5M is what Id want.

Would be awesome to have him back, especially if he remains healthy.

Hughes-Tanev

Tryamkin-Myers

Edler-Rafferty

Brisebois-Benn

Fantenberg walks. Stecher's rights + Motte traded for Kerfoot

the good news is, because of the pandemic and massive hit to the revenue, salaries for the next year or two are going to be depressed and they might get a good bargain on a guy like Tanev.  Ultimately, the Canucks don't have the depth on d to let a guy like CT walk if it's possible to retain him.

• Upvote 3
  • Vintage 1

man if Tanev is willing to do something like a 1 year extension at his current salary of 4.45 that would be ideal, and then wait to see what a new CBA and post-covid life brings. Certainly sounds like he's open to a number of things and gets the reality of the league right now. 

It would mean goodbye to Stecher but I think thats already in the cards, we can't keep him at this current QO anyway and keep Toffoili and Marky. Plus we have enough 6/7 depth guys in Utica now to take his place. I think Stecher won't get a QO and be allowed to walk as a free agent. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

man if Tanev is willing to do something like a 1 year extension at his current salary of 4.45 that would be ideal, and then wait to see what a new CBA and post-covid life brings. Certainly sounds like he's open to a number of things and gets the reality of the league right now. 

It would mean goodbye to Stecher but I think thats already in the cards, we can't keep him at this current QO anyway and keep Toffoili and Marky. Plus we have enough 6/7 depth guys in Utica now to take his place. I think Stecher won't get a QO and be allowed to walk as a free agent. 

He's another guy I don't want to see go, I like seeing a Richmond kid do well. But as good as he has been for the team. Unless some of the veteran forwards have some crazy increase in demand. I'm afraid you're right the team will probably let him walk. 

2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

He's another guy I don't want to see go, I like seeing a Richmond kid do well. But as good as he has been for the team. Unless some of the veteran forwards have some crazy increase in demand. I'm afraid you're right the team will probably let him walk. 

its not because he's not a good person or player, but he's not really a top 4 and likely won't be. But he is one of those guys thats a solid bottom pair bet that can fill in briefly in the top 4 for injuries, etc. so I do think he'll get a job somewhere else like Hutty, just for less money than he's making now. 

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Ain't there some guff about not being able to re-sign UFA's to a 1 yr with approaching ED?!..I forget these details.

On Tanev..pure class. But I def want re-signing for Markstrom, TT & the Tree to be top-priority.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Ain't there some guff about not being able to re-sign UFA's to a 1 yr with approaching ED?!..I forget these details.

On Tanev..pure class. But I def want re-signing for Markstrom, TT & the Tree to be top-priority.

I thought they just had to wait until Jan 1 in the last year of the deal to do an extension, and maybe some cap circumvention rules, but if it was just 1 year at his current salary that wouldn't be a thing. I'm not clear on all the cap calculation rules tho. 

• Thanks 1

You know it would be awfully nice of the NHL. Considering Luongo was from a previous GM, who is no longer in hockey. To make the franchise still has to pay the recapture penalties to the player(s) and buyouts. But have it not go against the salary cap. There's $4 million in cap relief right there. Do you think Baer will agree to mutully terminate his contract so he can get a fresh start somewhere else in the NHL? 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

and, honestly, why would any player playing in Canada right now  want to go south of the border to play, raise kids etc?

Edited by stawns
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

and, honestly, why would any player playing in Canada right now really want to go south of the border to play, raise kids etc?

Wouldn't that be something to see? NHL players wanting to play in Canada and take less, because the US is so fractured right now. 

• Vintage 1

39 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Not necessarily.

He could walk, but he could also opt to take a deal. After seeing Hutton get an offer to stick (Below QO), then head to free agency and basically get a step above minimum in a 'good' year for contracts, there might be some appetite to just have some stability and a place to play that wants you. Or he could bounce and try his luck in a down year for revenue and contracts.

I can't say as I'm not him and I don't know him, I'd imagine that it's not too far from his agents' mind, if not his.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

You know it would be awfully nice of the NHL. Considering Luongo was from a previous GM, who is no longer in hockey. To make the franchise still has to pay the recapture penalties to the player(s) and buyouts. But have it not go against the salary cap. There's $4 million in cap relief right there. Do you think Baer will agree to mutully terminate his contract so he can get a fresh start somewhere else in the NHL? 

Those moves would be a godsend.  Now we just need to sneak the words "compliance buyout" in there and we'd be pretty good to go.  

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

This pipe dream has some pretty potent stuff inside it ;)

The NHL isn't about being nice - especially towards the Canucks 

Baer i doubt would get rid of guaranteed money, especially in this uncertain world, He ht a gold mine with that contract and knows it, as no one was interested

1 minute ago, ba;;isticsports said:

This pipe dream has some pretty potent stuff inside it ;)

The NHL isn't about being nice - especially towards the Canucks 

Baer i doubt would get rid of guaranteed money, especially in this uncertain world, He ht a gold mine with that contract and knows it, as no one was interested

he earned that contract.......the treatment of Baer this past season was one of the few blackmarks on the org.  He should have been in Van and would have been a solid two way player who could move up and down the lineup and probably put up 40ish points in the process.