The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Journalist Gloats Over Jordan Peterson's Troubles

Timbermen

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

People seems passionate about him.

I didn't know he had started his own church and is christian?

Have I got that wrong? just read a few excerpts. 

I don't know, i've heard him say he was religious in a couple interviews. He has a series of lectures on youtube of biblical studies, i haven't watched that. Not interested in religion myself  I've mostly just watched the interviews. The Joe Rogan ones are great, he's been on there many times. These so called award winning journalists like Beyerstein don't even bother to watch those, just formulate a biased opinion on hearsay and their virtual signaling , identity politics.

Joe Rogans podcasts are great, he doesn't assume his audience is dumb and has an attention span of 5 minutes. His podcast are three hours long. You should watch the first one i posted in this thread, you'll get a way better understanding of him. Here's his second appearance on th JRE.

• Cheers 2

16 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

People seems passionate about him.

I didn't know he had started his own church and is christian?

Have I got that wrong? just read a few excerpts. 

Probably a cult.

15 minutes ago, Timbermen said:

I don't know, i've heard him say he was religious in a couple interviews. He has a series of lectures on youtube of biblical studies, i haven't watched that. Not interested in religion myself  I've mostly just watched the interviews. The Joe Rogan ones are great, he's been on there many times. These so called award winning journalists like Beyerstein don't even bother to watch those, just formulate a biased opinion on hearsay and their virtual signaling , identity politics.

Joe Rogans podcasts are great, he doesn't assume his audience is dumb and has an attention span of 5 minutes. His podcast are three hours long. You should watch the first one i posted in this thread, you'll get a way better understanding of him. Here's his second appearance on th JRE.

Being an old school fight fan I have followed Joe since the days of News Radio. His Talking Monkeys from Space is a great stand up. I don't find myself watching pod casts much. I know I have to get around to more JRE as people rave about them.

In this thread I have been trying to understand why people are soo passionate about JP, yet will often say ' I don't agree with everything he says'. I thank the posters that have tried to clear that up a bit.

I just read today about his Church and his Christian beliefs. I may have found a bit of the reason for that passion? 

For me this is where my JP curiosity fades. I don't need to look more into him. I don't care what people believe but when Church and Christian come up, I'm out. 

As I get older, I can't believe in the year 2020 people still hope for sky fairies. Religions have done so much harm to world and should be designated as Folklore by now with all the other fantasy stories. 

15 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

Probably a cult.

Arn't they all?

• Cheers 1

48 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

Are you not allowed to get upset over what someone says?  Just because we think someone can say whatever they want it doesn't mean that they should.

exactly. He uses dog whistles, other people get mad. Eveyone's exercising their rights. 

He chose to play in that sandbox, so thats where 'reap what you sow' comes from. 

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 5

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

exactly. He uses dog whistles, other people get mad. Eveyone's exercising their rights. 

He chose to play in that sandbox, so thats where 'reap what you sow' comes from. 

Ok but wishing someone ill will because they're battling addiction due to their wife's cancer.... 

Not a good look James.

I mean I wouldn't even wish that on Trump and he's a colossal waste of oxygen. Whatever you may think of JP, he's nowhere near that territory.

• Cheers 3

7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

So you're just defending the reporters right to rip on JP?

None of us are saying that she can't, but that she's a POS for doing so.

16 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I just read today about his Church and his Christian beliefs. I may have found a bit of the reason for that passion? 

For me this is where my JP curiosity fades. I don't need to look more into him. I don't care what people believe but when Church and Christian come up, I'm out. 

As I get older, I can't believe in the year 2020 people still hope for sky fairies. Religions have done so much harm to world and should be designated as Folklore by now with all the other fantasy stories. 

Arn't they all?

Fwiw

9 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'm not religious, like AT ALL, and found them very interesting FWIW.

And they're probably not what you're assuming. A lot less 'magic sky god says this' and a lot more about how religions evolved over time, how Judeo-Christianity evolved from those ancient ideas, the psychology and lessons behind the largely metaphorical and centuries distilled stories etc.

Think about it more as cultural studies and ancient self-help wisdom studies :lol:

They're definitely not light listening but certainly worth your time if you've got some. I listened to them while working myself but if you're off work with covid and have some time to kill... They're then on while cooking or something ;)

8 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Ok but wishing someone ill will because they're battling addiction due to their wife's cancer.... 

I see a lot of people giving Jimmy the gears about this, yet I did not see him say this.

I'd suggest people re- read what he wrote.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Fwiw

Thanks, but you add an organised religion tag and I can't. They should be long since hanging out with the dodo bird. I appreciate that he may be just doing a history lesson. But he has started his own 'church' though, right? they are all cults. 

I guess I'm still a bit curious here though.

A guy that advises people on how to live is an addict?

I relate to the pain of losing someone, did his wife die? I gained 50lbs and became quite the alcoholic over the couple years that I watched ALS take my dad. We were close.  I'm lucky to have a great family, including a clinical psychologist. 

I ran a liquor store in the DTES for 10 years. I have seen addiction first hand in it's most ugly state. I hope those that love JP have those people in mind too. It's a big big problem. 

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Not a good look James.

I mean I wouldn't even wish that on Trump and he's a colossal waste of oxygen. Whatever you may think of JP, he's nowhere near that territory.

Agree. I am with you (although I dont know JP at all but do Trump) and its one thing to vehemently disagree with someone and their opinion but a whole other ballgame wishing someone dead or ill. 

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, gurn said:

I see a lot of people giving Jimmy the gears about this, yet I did not see him say this.

I'd suggest people re- read what he wrote.

He condoned ('reap what you sew') gloating about someone's addiction issues and wife's cancer. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

He condoned ('reap what you sew') gloating about someone's addiction issues and wife's cancer. 

He condoned it, he did not wish it. If people are going to be upset with what he said, at least stay with what he said. And now you add "gloating" onto your ramped up narrative.?

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

1 minute ago, gurn said:

He condoned it, he did not wish it. If people are going to be upset with what he said, at least stay with what he said. And now you add "gloating" onto your ramped up narrative.?

So if Jimmy condoned the police actions against George Floyd you'd be ok with that?

I mean Jimmy didn't kneel on his neck himself... So it's fine, right?

I didn't add gloating to anything. It's right there in the thread title and op YouTube video title. Perhaps I'm not the one needing the lesson on reading comprehension here...

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

1 hour ago, Master Mind said:

Look at the number of confuse reacts to your initial post. Perhaps that's an indication you're taking the wrong approach here.

I have no idea who JP is, nor do I care if I am being honest but this garnered a good chuckle.  

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'm not religious, like AT ALL, and found them very interesting FWIW.

And they're probably not what you're assuming. A lot less 'magic sky god says this' and a lot more about how religions evolved over time, how Judeo-Christianity evolved from those ancient ideas, the psychology and lessons behind the largely metaphorical and centuries distilled stories etc.

Think about it more as cultural studies and ancient self-help wisdom studies :lol:

They're definitely not light listening but certainly worth your time if you've got some. I listened to them while working myself but if you're off work with covid and have done time to kill... They're then on while cooking or something ;)

I will check them out, i love history. I'm not religious but have read a little Egyptiian and middle eastern mythology.

I watched a great documenary on the Hittites after archeologists found the remains of the city Hatushala and the surrounding region. This proved that there was a Hittite empire that rivalled Egypt. The Hittites fell during the time of King Tut, there was a power struggle in Egypt at the time between the royal family and the high priests. The high priests resented Tuts father who converted the empire to mono-theist, Sun god worship, himself being the living embodiment of that God. Tuts mother tried to form an allegiance with Hatushala, the king of the Hittites by having him send one of his son's to Egypt to marry into their royal family. As soon his son stepped foot in Egypt, he was killed. This enraged the Hittite King who declared all out war on Egypt. The Hittites were completley crushed and became  basically just a footnote in the bible and even biblical scholars weren't sure if they actually existed. It turns out they did and archeologists have given us an understanding of them. 

Is that not OK in todays world? To study history and cross reference it with all accounts, including the bible? What about the Illiad or the Icelandic Sagas? Are they Ok to read? For decades 'scholars' debated whether the Icelandic Sagas were real or not. Like the bible, the sagas are split into specific types of sagas. Some are Mythological like 'Ref The Sly" and some are family Sagas based on real events, like the Saga of Leif Erickson/ Vinand sagas. Many argued the validity of the accounts recorded in those Sagas, then archeologists found the settlements in North America that are described.

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Thanks, but you add an organised religion tag and I can't. They should be long since hanging out with the dodo bird. I appreciate that he may be just doing a history lesson. But he has started his own 'church' though, right? they are all cults. 

I guess I'm still a bit curious here though.

A guy that advises people on how to live is an addict?

I relate to the pain of losing someone, did his wife die? I gained 50lbs and became quite the alcoholic over the couple years that I watched ALS take my dad. We were close.  I'm lucky to have a great family, including a clinical psychologist. 

I ran a liquor store in the DTES for 10 years. I have seen addiction first hand in it's most ugly state. I hope those that love JP have those people in mind too. It's a big big problem. 

No idea if he's started his own Church, I highly doubt it though. I think it's more a tongue in cheek reference to people who happen to follow him ie: 'the church of Pettersson'.

Fwiw, his addiction was a prescribed, pharmaceutical drug for anxiety IIRC.

As for the religion part, I found if nothing else, it's good fuel for better understanding the Bible and being better equipped to counter those 'magic sky god' folk. As such, you may find it quite useful ;)

Agreed on the last paragraph :)

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, aGENT said:

No idea if he's started his own Church, I highly doubt it though. I think it's more a tongue in cheek reference to people who happen to follow him ie: 'the church of Pettersson'.

Fwiw, his addiction was a prescribed, pharmaceutical drug for anxiety IIRC.

As for the religion part, I found if nothing else, it's good fuel for better understanding the Bible and being better equipped to counter those 'magic sky god' folk ;)

Agreed on the last paragraph :)

It's hard to tell. I don't care to read more. If you google it, you get some info. Is it just a troll job? people follow him like a religion and he is kinda religious ...so...

I love religious stories and history. My tattoos have a lot of iconography. But that's where religions should stay, beautiful art, some good codes of conduct and history.

One book I read again a few years ago that I really like is 'Not welcome on the voyage'. It's a story of the flood and the transition from old testament to new.

It also tells us what happened to the Unicorns..:sadno:

21 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

I have no idea who JP is, nor do I care if I am being honest but this garnered a good chuckle.  

Odd that you would read multiple pages for a thread about someone you don't know or care about. Must have a lot of time on your hands.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Not a good look James.

I'm not supportive of either of them.