The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ranking the 2019-2020 roster

Rate this topic

The_Rocket

Was thinking about who the best player was this season and ended up going through every player and ranking them. 

my list isnt necessarily based off of who is most important, but more about who is the best player and brings the most to them game, ie tanev might be more important than Pearson, but Pearson was the better player this season. I’m also ignoring things like games played, so players like toffoli, macewan, leivo, etc. Aren’t penalized for not playing all games. I also ignored call up players like graovac, Bailey, goldobin, beartschi, Sautner, dipietro, etc. because it’s hard to compare them to the line up regulars. MacEwan is the only exception because he stuck with the team after his most recent call up. 

okay...

1. Pettersson

2. JT Miller

3. Hughes

4. Marky

5. Horvat 

6. Boeser

7. Toffoli

8. Edler

9. Pearson

10. Tanev

11. Gaudette

12. Virtanen

13. Leivo

14. Myers

15. Demko

16. Sutter

17. Stetcher

18. MacEwan

19. Motte

20. Beagle

21. Fantenberg
22. Eriksson

23. Roussel

24. Ferland

25. Benn

26. Domingue
27. Schaller

Edited by The_Rocket
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

I think there's a good argument that Miller can be number 1.

Toffoli is too high, he didn't play enough games for the Canucks to justify being ranked 7th.

Yes. But there's probably even stronger argument that EP should be number 1.

Miller doesn't get 30G 70+ points if he is not playing with EP. EP will still get 30G 70+ points (was on pace for) who he plays with.

In fact, I think there's a good argument that Hughes should be number 2 and there's actually a good argument that Marky should be number 1. 

I think EP, Hughes, Markstrom are top 3. And the order amongst these 3 have little meaning as the team is in the draft lottery if one of them didn't exist.

I put Miller at #4.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I actually could argue that Hughes should be #1.  Without him, I don't think any of the other guys get nearly as much offensive output.

Hughes drives the offence on this team.

Edited by HKSR
  • Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, khay said:

Miller doesn't get 30G 70+ points if he is not playing with EP. EP will still get 30G 70+ points (was on pace for) who he plays with.

In fact, I think there's a good argument that Hughes should be number 2 and there's actually a good argument that Marky should be number 1. 

I think EP, Hughes, Markstrom are top 3. And the order amongst these 3 have little meaning as the team is in the draft lottery if one of them didn't exist.

I put Miller at #4.

Marky is probably the most important player, and is imo a top 10 goalie in the league. However, I would say that petey, hughes, and Miller were all better players this season. Again, I’m ignoring a players importance and simply looking at who is the best player. I think it’s hard to argue the pettersson, who arguably played like a top 10 player in the NHL this season, isn’t the best

jt miller

he hit the ground running

did not need time to let chemistry build or familiarity grow

top point producer

played on multiple lines and kept his production consistent

added meat to the top 6

stayed healthy and played every game

and took on a very important leadership role on the team

was almost inappropriate in his frustration about his hatred of losing at one point

(i really thought that was a good thing, youngsters need to see this, bo was less of a factor on this front this season for some reason)

and it seems jake is adding some important components to his game because of jt

he is not the most talented or skilled

he does not have the highest upside

he is currently the most developed and mature though

he is the most complete player

hard to choose him ahead of marky

but in the end i did as marky missed games.. important ones

and a bit of a forecast

hughes will be next season

and for a number of consecutive seasons after

team will build its systems around him when he is on the ice

he has the potential to drive this team more then ep40 due to his position

team never had a #1 dman

and now, man, we have one who could be incredibly elite and special

Edited by coastal.view
  • Cheers 1

For me Hughes and Pettersson are fighting for top honors.  Pettersson makes everyone around him better, while Hughes skates and carries the puck like no canuck d-man before him.  Markstrom was just as important as the two youngsters but he would be my number 3.  Horvat and Miller are interchangeable at 4 and 5.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Bell said:

For me Hughes and Pettersson are fighting for top honors.  Pettersson makes everyone around him better, while Hughes skates and carries the puck like no canuck d-man before him.  Markstrom was just as important as the two youngsters but he would be my number 3.  Horvat and Miller are interchangeable at 4 and 5.

I'd agree with that.  Honestly both are foundational when discussing building a team's core as they are top dogs in their respective positions.

At this point though, I might put Quinn ahead of Pete for the simple reason of how complete he is.  Not saying Pete isn't skilled in most aspects of the game but one aspect I'd count against him would be his face-offs.  In the current season he has been at 41%, which explains why Miller has been a regular line-mate of his and taking the draws.  Optimally, an elite #1 center would have that component of his game down pat, and while his play-making, scoring and two-way play have been great (he even showed some feisty demeanor to make him tougher to play against), I would still count this reliance on someone else in this as a flaw.

While Hughes isn't the biggest guy he's shown that with his mobility has enabled him to individually get out of trouble (while some might say that Tanev being his partner might have been the equivalent of training wheels, it's not like Chris helps him do anything in particular e.g. fend off a bigger check/ skate out of trouble).  In that sense he's more complete and he handles all aspects well (skates out of trouble, strong stick-work, can make smart passes, can score from the point with his shot).  

Agreed that Miller and Marky should probably be 3 and 4.      

Edited by Phil_314

1 hour ago, khay said:

I put Miller at #4.

Based on what?

I feel like it became apparent that JT drove that line towards the end of the season. EP wasn’t a passenger, but JT made things happen himself rather than being a Burrows type finisher. I think if you go through all his points, you won’t find many that were completely a credit to Pettersson.

I would put Marky as #1, with JT and QH tied for #2, and EP ever so slightly behind. You’re not wrong though because it really can go any number of ways haha

Edited by Grape
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Grape said:

Based on what?

I feel like it became apparent that JT drove that line towards the end of the season. EP wasn’t a passenger, but JT made things happen himself rather than being a Burrows type finisher. I think if you go through all his points, you won’t find many that were completely a credit to Pettersson.

I would put Marky as #1, with JT and QH tied for #2, and EP ever so slightly behind. You’re not wrong though because it really can go any number of ways haha

Based on the fact that JT Miller has never been a 60 point scorer in the league. He has never hit 30 goals. And all of a sudden he was became a 30 goal and 80 point player (on pace for this season). If JT played on Horvat's wing for the whole season instead of EP's, I don't think he is getting 30 goals and 80 points even with the PP time. I'm not saying he is a Burrows type finisher, that's something that you said, not me. I do agree that Miller drove the line, especially later in the season but possibly because checking on EP tightened and EP, rather than hogging the puck, deferred to JT. JT obviously delivered. That line definitely was multi-dimensional with the addition of JT and with Toffoli, it added another dimension to it, making it so much more effective. If Marky is back to playing like before his injury, there is a potential for a run to the conference final for the Canucks on the back of the new first line.

I think EP is a top 20 player in the NHL already. Other than the faceoffs, he basically did everything that an elite centerman does. If he is on the ice, the opposition needed to be alert and that took a lot of attention away from JT to make plays. And EP is a type of player that makes his teammates better, by doing the hard things that reduces the burden on his teammates even if that means sacrificing his own offensive output. And on the offensive side of things, he is more than likely to defer to a teammate rather than trying to force plays and still, he was on pace for 30 goals and 70-80 point season. I think JT's offensive outburst had a lot to do with EP taking away the defensive load off of JT, something that JT was relied upon in his previous teams. It allowed him to focus more on offence and make riskier plays with high potential reward, knowing there's someone covering up for him.

EP, along with Hughes, and Marky are the engine of this team. 

You take EP out, and JT is still a 50-60 point player like he was in his previous teams. Can you imagine our first line centered by JT without EP?

x-Miller-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-x

Roussel-Gaud-Virtanen

We are closer to being a lottery team without EP.

Our PP is #4 in the league. Take EP out then, even with Hughes, it's probably not in the top 10. Recall that there is a dedicated defender to guard against EP's one timer because if he is allowed to wind it up freely, it's a sure goal. That basically makes it 4 vs 3 on the other side of the ice, where JT makes plays. Take EP out, and let JT make play in EP's spot. We are not getting the same PP efficiency.

A - Miller, Pettersson, Hughes, Markstrom

B - Toffoli, Horvat, Boeser, Tanev

C - Pearson, Gaudette, Virtanen, Motte, MacEwen, Edler, Myers, Stecher, Fantenberg, Demko

D - Roussel, Leivo, Sutter, Eriksson, Beagle, Benn

F - Ferland

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, The_Rocket said:

Was thinking about who the best player was this season and ended up going through every player and ranking them. 

my list isnt necessarily based off of who is most important, but more about who is the best player and brings the most to them game, ie tanev might be more important than Pearson, but Pearson was the better player this season. I’m also ignoring things like games played, so players like toffoli, macewan, leivo, etc. Aren’t penalized for not playing all games. I also ignored call up players like graovac, Bailey, goldobin, beartschi, Sautner, dipietro, etc. because it’s hard to compare them to the line up regulars. MacEwan is the only exception because he stuck with the team after his most recent call up. 

okay...

1. Pettersson

2. JT Miller

3. Hughes

4. Marky

5. Horvat 

6. Boeser

7. Toffoli

8. Edler

9. Pearson

10. Tanev

11. Gaudette

12. Virtanen

13. Leivo

14. Myers

--------------------------------------------------------------------

15. Demko

16. Sutter

17. Stetcher

18. MacEwan

19. Motte

20. Beagle

21. Fantenberg
22. Eriksson

23. Roussel

24. Ferland

25. Benn

26. Domingue
27. Schaller

This list is as good as any list to go off of

First off...I would place Beagle in or about the 13th spot

But more importantly, So one of Tanev or Toffoli is leaving according to CDC...………..Hmmmm?

IMO, all that are below the line I have placed on your list are expendable, excluding Beagle and MacEwen, maybe Demko, maybe Motte

So I would have it somewhat like this...……..

1. Pettersson

2. JT Miller

3. Hughes

4. Marky

5. Horvat 

6. Boeser

7. Toffoli

8. Edler

9. Pearson

10. Tanev

11. Gaudette

12. Virtanen

13. Leivo

14. Myers

15. Demko

16. Beagle

17. McEwen

18. Motte

-------------------------------------------------------

19. Sutter

20. Stetcher

21. Fantenberg
22. Eriksson

23. Roussel

24. Ferland

25. Benn

26. Domingue
27. Schaller

So, this summer, any of the guys below the line can be gone

I am more interested in Podkolzin, Hoglander, Rathbone and Tryamkin (Noting that Podkolzin will be a year away)

And in saying all that, if Tryamkin is not signed, then I am thinking Stecher should be

• Like 1

21 hours ago, The_Rocket said:

okay...

1. Pettersson

2. JT Miller

3. Hughes

4. Marky

5. Horvat 

6. Boeser

7. Toffoli

8. Edler

9. Pearson

10. Tanev

11. Gaudette

12. Virtanen

13. Leivo

14. Myers

15. Demko

16. Sutter

17. Stetcher

18. MacEwan

19. Motte

20. Beagle

21. Fantenberg
22. Eriksson

23. Roussel

24. Ferland

25. Benn

26. Domingue
27. Schaller

Like your ranking and I would have to agree with..

I think Stetcher could be traded being UFA -- Will want 4 yrs X 2.8 million -- Rafferty might fill #5 D position for $750,000

Tanev I would not re sign with injury history and age 31 in December... Sign Taffoli 4 yrs X 4.8 then trade with Boeser or Virtanen for #2 D man under 27yrs old.

Tyramkin 26 - Try and sign 2 yrs X  1.8 million show me more deal? Would add toughness 6'8- 265lbs fill # 5 spot could move to #4 with injuries..

Sutter -1yr left-

Benn - 1 yr left

Buyout players if 2 - --Erickson 6 million X 2 yrs ---- Luongo - 2 yrs X 3 million

Goalies -- Have to trade one before next May 2021 - Marky 30 -- Demko 24--- --Dipietro 20 ready for backup 2021 October

2 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Like your ranking and I would have to agree with..

I think Stetcher could be traded being UFA -- Will want 4 yrs X 2.8 million -- Rafferty might fill #5 D position for $750,000

Tanev I would not re sign with injury history and age 31 in December... Sign Taffoli 4 yrs X 4.8 then trade with Boeser or Virtanen for #2 D man under 27yrs old.

Tyramkin 26 - Try and sign 2 yrs X  1.8 million show me more deal? Would add toughness 6'8- 265lbs fill # 5 spot could move to #4 with injuries..

Sutter -1yr left-

Benn - 1 yr left

Buyout players if 2 - --Erickson 6 million X 2 yrs ---- Luongo - 2 yrs X 3 million

Goalies -- Have to trade one before next May 2021 - Marky 30 -- Demko 24--- --Dipietro 20 ready for backup 2021 October

Luongo can't be bought out.  It's a penalty and not a contract.  

Let's go with the depth chart.  I think it's a little more meaningful

Miller       Pettersson Boeser

Pearson  Horvat       Toffoli

Roussel   Gaudette   Virtanen

Leivo       Sutter        Motte

Ferland    Beagle      MacEwen

Eriksson  Graovac

Hughes        Tanev

Edler            Myers

Fantenberg  Stecher

Benn            Rafferty

Briesbois

Sautner

Markstrom

Demko

Obviously, some can be moved, some cannot.  But when we see how the team stacks up by position, it is much more clear what moves can be made and how Benning may be wanting to set things up going forward.  For example, only 4 RHD so Benning will be careful with making moves there.

If were going off this last year alone (and largely based on play, not intangibles)

1. Markstrom

2. Miller

3. Hughes

4. Pettersson

5. Horvat

6. Boeser

7. Edler

8. Tanev

9. Pearson

10. Virtanen

11. Gaudette

12. Leivo

13. Sutter

14. Myers

15. Stecher

16. Motte

17. Demko

18. MacEwen

19. Roussel

20. Beagle

21. Fantenberg

22. Benn

23. Ferland

24. Eriksson

25. Schaller

Toffoli only played 10 games with us, so I didn't include him.

• Cheers 1