The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anson Carter says race played a factor in Canucks contract negotiations

Rate this topic

Violator

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/anson-carter-says-race-played-a-factor-in-canucks-contract-negotiations

https://www.sportsnet.ca/590/hockey-central-at-noon/anson-carter-100-race-played-role-career/

Added two articles as the daily hive is a bit flakey.

Edit:Mods can move this if its not in the right spot.

Edited by Violator

"Carter told the Hockey Central hosts he “loved” his season in Vancouver, but was perplexed when his agent told him the team was more interested in signing the Sedins than him. Henrik and Daniel were coming off 75- and 71-point seasons, respectively, and were pending restricted free agents."

uhhhhhh can you blame them?!

Other than that it's all hearsay... Carter thinks race played a role... maybe but how? If the Canucks only offered him 1.1million after that season they deserved to lose him, but we don't know the other side.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

There was a reason we signed him for only $1 million after the lockout season. He was falling off the map of the hockey world. The Sedins gave him that second life and he blames race for us letting him go? He can call it race but I and many would see it as greed. He sure showed us Canucks fans that we made the big mistake after his elite stops in Columbus and Carolina. Fun fact: he was traded to the hurricanes for a 5th round pick. That’s all you need to know. But yes let’s use the race card and bite the hand that fed him to the Canucks Organization. FFS 

Edited by EP Phone Home
  • Cheers 2

I think the facts pretty much put this one to bed.

He barely got a contract offer from anyone else, signing a one year deal before training camp.

He flamed out in his next two landing spots and was out of the league the next year.  
The Sedins went on to be Art Ross trophy winners, he went on to the Swiss league.

Edited by Provost
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

i remember that time

this contract dispute

and still have a sense that nucks thought he was a bit of a 1 year wonder

and benefited so much from playing with the sedins

so they really did not see much additional value that warranted a raise

i do not recall feeling upset when he moved on

the sedins had gone through a number of wingers at this point in time

he was just another one of them

and his show me i am wrong season since did not occur

so how could the nucks be wrong

to now cloak this in race is nonsense in my view

rubbish

Edited by coastal.view
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Man I liked Carter when he was here but I don’t respect this at all.

He’s taking a big leap here to try and throw himself into the conversation.

Maybe if he had examples of Nonis being a racist he would be on to something. But don’t cry about not getting a contract 14 years later. If Nonis was a racist would have signed him in the first place?

Not to mention that fact that he was getting first line time over guys like Morrison and Naslund with our two Swedish phenoms.

28 minutes ago, EP Phone Home said:

There was a reason we signed him for only $1 million after the lockout season. He was falling off the map of the hockey world. The Sedins gave him that second life and he blames race for us letting him go? He can call it race but I and many would see it as greed. He sure showed us Canucks fans that we made the big mistake after his elite stops in Columbus and Carolina. Fun fact: he was traded to the hurricanes for a 5th round pick. That’s all you need to know. But yes let’s use the race card and bite the hand that fed him to the Canucks Organization. FFS 

Finding it hard to buy that they only offered him a $100k raise to $1.1 million when he signed in Columbus for $2.5 for one year.    
Who in their right mind would offer a full value contract in September when UFA's start getting desperate and more willing to accept low-ball offers?

I get the feeling it's more like he asked for around $2.5 million+, got less than he wanted, plain and simple priced himself out and so fabricated the whole small raise thing.  What better time than now to publicize this too.   

Edited by Phil_314
  • Like 1