The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anson Carter says race played a factor in Canucks contract negotiations

Rate this topic

Violator

Really? C'mon Anson. This just sounds like a bitter ex-athlete that didn't have things go the way he wanted. Been a Canuck fan since 82 and have seen all types of visible minorities on this team. The team's culture has never in any way come across as racist. 

Perception matter too. I don't know the inside info.  As a fan, I think he should have found a way to stay. He was a good fit with Sedins and I liked his hockey. Although the most memorable part of Anson was his World Championship goal. 

The fact he felt that race was a factor doesn't mean he is being a prick.  The culture of NHL and general community at large all contribute to it.  So, I don't side with either extreme view point (racist owners vs bitter entitled player). If he felt racism, I can accept his feelings as true.  

Edited by Jaimito

39 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Perception matter too. I don't know the inside info.  As a fan, I think he should have found a way to stay. He was a good fit with Sedins and I liked his hockey. Although the most memorable part of Anson was his World Championship goal. 

The fact he felt that race was a factor doesn't mean he is being a prick.  The culture of NHL and general community at large all contribute to it.  So, I don't side with either extreme view point (racist owners vs bitter entitled player). If he felt racism, I can accept his feelings as true.  

If he felt it, it doesn't mean he's in tune with his feelings or being honest with himself, so who is he trying to fool about him potentially being better than the Sedins for the Canucks? Himself, or the rest of us? His race card has given him delusions of grandeur, and he is being a bitter has-been for using it. 

If he didn't already have a long and decent enough career for himself I might have some sympathy, but the fact is he was already on his downward slide and he was lucky he caught fire one more time. The proof is in the pudding that he never found it again after his cup of coffee here.

That’s unfortunate Carter feels the way he does about it. Certainly from an outsider’s perspective it simply seemed like he wanted a bigger raise than management wanted to give and he took his chances elsewhere, which backfired for him. For a line mate to work well with the Sedins, he needed to have a good hockey sense and some finish. Carter rounded out the line well, but he needed the Sedins far more than they needed him.

Did race play into contract renegotiations? Who is to say? I wasn’t part of them. But it’s sad to hear this come up now. Maybe if Carter was as white as Louie Eriksson, he would have got his money and been hated for reasons that transcend race.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, drummer4now said:

Being a person of color I sincerely hope that PC doesn't get out of control with race cards, etc... 

IMO there is a time and place to claim racism and this isn't one. 

Way too late. PC. Wokeness. The left in general has gone off the deep end. 

• Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I loved Carter in his time here and was disappointed they couldn't make something work.  I was younger at the time therefore didn't know the ins & outs of the business side. I think @Baggins laid it out pretty well.

I'd add the Canucks also had Jovanovski as a free agent that summer who they also didn't have the money to re-sign. (Unfortunately, he was my fav player :(So it wasn't just Carter they couldn't afford.

I've actually heard Carter talk about race issues in the past, he's provided great insight & I really appreciated his opinion. Its disappointing to hear he feels it went down this way. 

Canucks were racist against Macedonians as well! :mad:

:P

because we're Vancouver the rest of Canada will believe this just to hate us all the more.

Carter was a moron. Tried to cash in after a single good season. Had he stuck around and had another he could have had an easier time translating that to a better payday.

But race? At least from a fan perspective I don't recall any Canuck player disliked on race. I think some of our favourite alumni have been black and such.

16 minutes ago, TimberWolf said:

because we're Vancouver the rest of Canada will believe this just to hate us all the more.

Carter was a moron. Tried to cash in after a single good season. Had he stuck around and had another he could have had an easier time translating that to a better payday.

But race? At least from a fan perspective I don't recall any Canuck player disliked on race. I think some of our favourite alumni have been black and such.

Mark Messier made be ashamed for being in the same human race.:lol:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Loved Carter when he was with us. He was an exciting player, and helped the Sedins take the next step. People are acting like he was nothing before joining the Canucks, which isn't true--he was good with Edmonton and Boston. However, he bounced around to different teams before playing with us. As I remember it, it seemed like he made the Sedins better by always being in the right place at the right time; but, as the season went on, it became more obvious that the Sedins were setting him up for wide open shots all the time.

While I respect Anson Carter for helping the Sedins grow as players, and representing Canada at the World Championships a couple times, this makes me lose a lot of respect for him. The Sedins revitalized his career, and without them he was out of the league in a couple years. Suggesting that he should have been signed before two hall of famers--and wasn't because of racism--is grasping at straws. 

Edited by NaveJoseph

As a black hockey player growing up in Toronto, playing college in Michigan, and playing in the NHL in the 90s and 2000s, I'm sure the guy endured an enormous amount of racism throughout his hockey career.  Enough that gives him the right to second guess a lot of the events that happened in his career.  

Sure he had up and down years, but he was a beauty on the ice, always seemed to work his bag off, and always seemed super positive in interviews. I don't blame him for wondering why, as a very valuable hockey player, he had to play for 9 different teams during a 10 year career. Did the Canucks make the right decision on him? Yes. Is it weird and questionable as to why the dude had to move around so much during his career? Very much yes.

Sure, disagree with him, but he has the right to question and think anything he wants about what happened in his career. Even if you think he's wrong about Vancouver don't miss the point of the rest of what he has to say.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2