The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anson Carter says race played a factor in Canucks contract negotiations

Rate this topic

Violator

15 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Pretty weak excuse making. 

- They took three fricken years to settle with him on the lockout money

- No one is saying there was a CBA type legal agreement to pay in US funds, and maybe his agent did not do his due diligence, but its a stretch to think Bure's camp would not assume he would be paid in US funds as Mogilny and Fedorov and even most other NHL players were being paid with. And stars were ALWAYS paid in US funds.

- Its quite an assumption to think Gillis's statement about nobody knowing the whole story would be bad for his former client, maybe it would have been worse for management.

You can try and throw out a few superfluous maybes and conspiracy theories into the equation,  but if you look at the overall treatment through his whole time here, add everything up, it does not look good on management.  Sure Bure may have been overly sensitive.  I have a brother-in-law that grew up in the old completely corrupted Soviet system, he was, and even now is, very suspicious and cynical of any decisions by bureaucracies that have some kind of authority over even small aspects of his life. But no amount of excuse making, even if you make a few small counterpoints, can erase how they treated Pavel Bure on the whole.

Legal dealings do take time where courts are concerned. If there was no doubt about the legality of the clause why settle instead of going for the full amount? It's not like Bure was desperate for the $1m. So why not go after the full amount? Simple logic tells me they settled because it go either way in court.

Stars were not ALWAYS paid ion US as there was no contractual requirement. It was purely part of individual negotiations and was often, not always, requested by star players. If you believe his agent didn't do his full diligence how is that the Canucks fault? Why would anybody pay more than actually negotiated? This is quite simple: if you don't ask, you don't get. As I said perhaps there's a reason Bure switched agents.

My 'assumption' regarding Gillis' comment isn't much of a leap at all it's simply more logic. He could have answered the question any way he wanted and he had inside knowledge as his agent. Why would he answer "nobody know the whole story" if Bure's version of events was entirely factual and the whole story? It's absolutely clear from his answer that there was more to it than Bure was saying. 

The weak excuse is in the assuming. "I assumed I'd be paid US". "I assumed because I negotiated a clause it wouldn't matter if it violated labour law". You're assuming Bure's one sided version is the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Here's a truth: players often have 'difficult' negotiations. That's called business. Even Linden had a difficult negotiation. He never turned around and whined about it. Some players accept that part, others whine about it. I always viewed Bure as a self centered money monger. That in no way diminishes my view of how talented he was, just his character. But back then it was often a common theme with Russian players. Look at Yashin.

Perhaps we should just leave it at differing opinions here. I can guarantee you won't change my view of it as at best I'm skeptical of a one-sided version where the agent involved says it's not the whole story. In the end this is way off the topic of this thread. If you want to continue perhaps this thread below would be more appropriate where I've previously given my view of Bure. But as I said, I don't see you changing my view of Bure or his one-sided retelling of events.

17 hours ago, kilgore said:

I think it was wrong not to offer him more, but IMO its just that the Canucks were cheap SOB's.  Until Benning, who realizes you have to even overpay sometimes. They've low balled more players than Anson Carter through the years. Giving Bure grief when they didn't have to, holding out on his legally owed lock-out money, telling him his first 60 goals season was a fluke in order not to sign him to what he deserved sooner. That's when the trade demands started, completely could have been avoided. Other examples in the organization.

Kinda sad to be using the present day uprising against average black's violent mistreatment, for a millionaire to be complaining about not making more millions for similar reasons about racial discrimination even though he has no proof.

Back on topic. :)

More than what? Were they cheap, up against that new cap, or did Carter just possibly overvalue himself? Do players, or their agents, ever overvalue the players worth? When a decent to fairly good player sits around all summer as an unsigned UFA, and neither age or health are a factor, I'd argue they (player and/or the agent) have overvalued their worth. I'd also argue if the summer long demand was only $2.5m, while any team can sign him, Columbus wouldn't have waited until mid September to do so. Thus logically, his asking price was higher through the summer telling me the reported asking price was likely accurate and no team in the league viewed him as worth it.

Reports at the time were the Canucks offered Carter another year at $2m. Doubling his salary. The same reports were team Carter was looking for $3m x 3 years. He sat around all summer and didn't sign until mid September for $2.5m. So was race actually a factor or was it simply self perceived value versus league view value combined with the new salary cap? The Canucks were up against the cap at the time. At least Carter got an offer, which couldn't be said of Jovo. Nonis said he inquired what kind of money Jovo was looking for with his agent and realized he couldn't come close to it with their cap situation. Afterwards Jovo said he was disappointed that the Canucks didn't make an offer because he really wanted to stay. Well a salary cap forces you into tough decisions. Could Jovo claim the Canucks discriminated against players of Macedonian descent because he didn't even get an offer? Imo these decisions had nothing to do with race (or heritage) and everything to with the cap and what the players wanted.

• Cheers 1

Carter was loved by fans and the team alike when he was here. Pretty much all 33 goals he scored were because of the Sedins not by his skill. He says he was “surprised” that we wanted to sign the Sedins instead of him? Errr... come again? He was an aging star on the decline only made better by two young upcoming superstars. He wanted too much money, and the Canucks weren’t going to give him that. Simply because he wasn’t worth what he was asking. Race had nothing to do with it!

After we refused to give him What he wanted, he was pretty much out of the league a year or so after. We have a lot of diversity in our drafting and prospects (Subban and Woo?), so it seems like a bunch of bologna to me. 

Using the current BLM movement to throw the Canucks under the bus showcases his selfishness and true character. What a diva.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Baggins said:

Legal dealings do take time where courts are concerned. If there was no doubt about the legality of the clause why settle instead of going for the full amount? It's not like Bure was desperate for the $1m. So why not go after the full amount? Simple logic tells me they settled because it go either way in court.

Stars were not ALWAYS paid ion US as there was no contractual requirement. It was purely part of individual negotiations and was often, not always, requested by star players. If you believe his agent didn't do his full diligence how is that the Canucks fault? Why would anybody pay more than actually negotiated? This is quite simple: if you don't ask, you don't get. As I said perhaps there's a reason Bure switched agents.

My 'assumption' regarding Gillis' comment isn't much of a leap at all it's simply more logic. He could have answered the question any way he wanted and he had inside knowledge as his agent. Why would he answer "nobody know the whole story" if Bure's version of events was entirely factual and the whole story? It's absolutely clear from his answer that there was more to it than Bure was saying. 

The weak excuse is in the assuming. "I assumed I'd be paid US". "I assumed because I negotiated a clause it wouldn't matter if it violated labour law". You're assuming Bure's one sided version is the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Here's a truth: players often have 'difficult' negotiations. That's called business. Even Linden had a difficult negotiation. He never turned around and whined about it. Some players accept that part, others whine about it. I always viewed Bure as a self centered money monger. That in no way diminishes my view of how talented he was, just his character. But back then it was often a common theme with Russian players. Look at Yashin.

Perhaps we should just leave it at differing opinions here. I can guarantee you won't change my view of it as at best I'm skeptical of a one-sided version where the agent involved says it's not the whole story. In the end this is way off the topic of this thread. If you want to continue perhaps this thread below would be more appropriate where I've previously given my view of Bure. But as I said, I don't see you changing my view of Bure or his one-sided retelling of events.

Settling the lockout monies after three years already was probably in the interests of both parties.  But it doesn't mean Pavel wasn't owed that other .7 million, or that he should have been happy with that. Obviously if Canucks settled, they thought there was some merit in his claim. But more importantly to the argument, and how it relates to treatment of Carter, is that Pavel was led to believe he was promised it, and that slight was just another one to add to the pile.

For the most part, by then, most players, and star players for sure, were paid in American dollars. I don't know how you can think that wasn't the case. You may find one or two instances where this wasn't the case, but that was the accepted practice by then. And you are ASSUMING that Pavel never asked for yankee dollars. Maybe it was agreed on verbally for American dollars, and on the day of signing, management thought they could pull a fast one, change the parameters, hoping Pavel would just take it. You don't know, know one knows.  I would not put it past them trying this based on other behaviour.

Gillis may have declined to bare all, not because Pavel didn't have a case, but because Mike is still looking to get another job in the NHL.  Not a good look to be slagging the management of one of the franchises you worked for.

I  mentioned my brother in law.  My eyes were really opened up getting to know him. He grew up in the soviet satellite country at the time of Kyrgyzstan. No he didn't know Borat. But everyone from that area has a built in suspicion that everyone is trying to cheat them some way. They are used to that. Because it was true there.  So I can see that when even small slights start adding up, having to pay the Russian Fed with is own money, McPhee scoffing at his first 60 goal season as a bid to not pay him what he was worth sooner, etc. that article details it all. I agree he should have made more of an effort to be less demanding, and go with the flow, but that was his personality. Love him or hate him. He was a cynical bastard I'll grant you that.

I think they screwed things up with Larionov as well by being ignorant of the Russian mentality. And I'm afraid they will also screw things up with Tryamkin.  IMO North American pro hockey teams need to try and be a bit accommodating to the kind of transition from that East European culture, some more than others.

I got an answer for every question. I can go all night. ;)

So lets just leave it as agree to disagree, as you said.

Just briefly on Carter. If you have a link to that 2 million dollar offer......because he claimed it was only about a $100,000 raise on the $1 mill.  If he was lying, I'm sure someone in Canucks management would have corrected that no?  But maybe they seriously just didn't think they had the cap space, again...who knows? But it was low ball.  I just think it had nothing to do with race.  Wasn't Kevin Weekes going to be our "goalie of the future" at one point?  Bottom line, if a player is talented enough, they will find a way into a lineup.  Winning is the only thing that matters for owners.

1 hour ago, BlueDragon23 said:

Carter was loved by fans and the team alike when he was here. Pretty much all 33 goals he scored were because of the Sedins not by his skill. He says he was “surprised” that we wanted to sign the Sedins instead of him? Errr... come again? He was an aging star on the decline only made better by two young upcoming superstars. He wanted too much money, and the Canucks weren’t going to give him that. Simply because he wasn’t worth what he was asking. Race had nothing to do with it!

After we refused to give him What he wanted, he was pretty much out of the league a year or so after. We have a lot of diversity in our drafting and prospects (Subban and Woo?), so it seems like a bunch of bologna to me. 

Using the current BLM movement to throw the Canucks under the bus showcases his selfishness and true character. What a diva.

Yes, That is the sad part

The guy gets to play with the Sedins and gets Henriks goal total (33) and Daniels Assist total (22)

Was in his 30's was most likely looking to get long term security contract with big increase that the team could not afford with a new cap system, along with Jovo  (an allstar,)

I have lost respect for this player

The Canucks gave him an opportunity and for that he was able to parlay that into 2.5 million dollars and instead of being grateful for that, he craps on them?

He thinks the movement is for guys only getting 2.5 million instead of more?

Maybe he was moved for a reason with all those teams, as he didn't know when to keep his mouth shut and pick his battles?

I guess it's true, money doesn't buy everything

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Moose Nuckle said:

2 people hahahahaha

I don't think there is anything special about our drafting either way when it comes to diversity but since when have the Canucks ever been afraid of or opposed to it?  They drafted Dirk Graham in 1978 or something, one of the NHL's first black or part-black players.  And there has been plenty of diversity through trades and signings...  Park, Weekes, Brashear, Carter himself, etc.  If there has been some institutionalized anything in the Canucks organization, especially relative to the league, it hasn't been outwardly apparent.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I don't think there is anything special about our drafting either way when it comes to diversity but since when have the Canucks ever been afraid of or opposed to it?  They drafted Dirk Graham in 1978 or something, one of the NHL's first black or part-black players.  And there has been plenty of diversity through trades and signings...  Park, Weekes, Brashear, Carter himself, etc.  If there has been some institutionalized anything in the Canucks organization, especially relative to the league, it hasn't been outwardly apparent.

I agree, using that as his argument was hilarious though. 

16 minutes ago, Moose Nuckle said:

I agree, using that as his argument was hilarious though. 

First of all I am a woman. Second of all, it was a quick example off the top of my head. Thirdly, I haven’t the patience to lecture smart alecs on our team diversity. 

• Vintage 1

Carter misplayed his hand. He should have stayed for the 2M they offered him here. Another one or two seasons with the Sedins would have upped his value even more than the 2.5 he signed for with Columbus. 

Sounds like the sour grapes made some bad whine.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Carter misplayed his hand. He should have stayed for the 2M they offered him here. Another one or two seasons with the Sedins would have upped his value even more than the 2.5 he signed for with Columbus. 

Sounds like the sour grapes made some bad whine.

Absolutely. And the posters here who are determined to use his whining to justify vilifying the team over ridiculously fabricated alleged slights to other former players are choosing to be just as big a joke as he is. 

Like the the clown who is purporting to believe that Larionov did not leave Vancouver because his contract called for half of his salary to go to the Russians if he stayed here, but not if he went to another team.

No a 100% difference in salary had nothing to do with his decision, it must have been because, "they screwed things up with Larionov as well by being ignorant of the Russian mentality."

Edited by WeneedLumme
  • Cheers 1

51 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

Absolutely. And the posters here who are determined to use his whining to justify vilifying the team over ridiculously fabricated alleged slights to other former players are choosing to be just as big a joke as he is. 

Like the the clown who is purporting to believe that Larionov did not leave Vancouver because his contract called for half of his salary to go to the Russians if he stayed here, but not if he went to another team.

No a 100% difference in salary had nothing to do with his decision, it must have been because, "they screwed things up with Larionov as well by being ignorant of the Russian mentality."

He played a year in the Swiss league to break the contract of part of his salary going to the Soviets after his 3 yr contract was up in Vancouver

Edited by ba;;isticsports

19 hours ago, BlueDragon23 said:

First of all I am a woman. Second of all, it was a quick example off the top of my head. Thirdly, I haven’t the patience to lecture smart alecs on our team diversity. 

Gender doesn't matter bud. Your attempt basically acted as an argument for what you were arguing against. 

Edited by Moose Nuckle

On 6/14/2020 at 7:24 AM, WeneedLumme said:

https://books.google.ca/books?id=WRpSDgAAQBAJ&pg=PT133&lpg=PT133&dq=larionov+played+swiss+league+russian+federation&source=bl&ots=krOI1wLjnM&sig=ACfU3U3bfi4IeZ7PXt2w2461-w7w7Dgj7w&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiex8CovYTqAhVBop4KHZeJCPMQ6AEwC3oECA8QAQ#v=onepage&q=larionov played swiss league russian federation&f=false

Canuck management wanted to allow the Russian Fed to extort some of Larionov's contract money, and ended up settling on $150,000.   But Igor was too principled for that, and didn't want any more money going to the Fed, so he acted on his own, went to the Swiss league, as the only legal way to cut ties with the Fed for good.  Canuck management did not take this kindly, so when he was available again after his stint in Europe, even though they had first dibs, as long as they gave him waiver protection, they turned their noses up, and San Jose picked him up.  Combined with that, they totally undervalued him.  Yet another dumb move, especially if you think about how he many have influenced and calmed Pavel's antagonism towards management, and helped mentor him here.  Instead he played in San Jose where he was re-united with Sergei Makarov and helped the Sharks to a record 59-point improvement over the previous season. The Sharks then upset the heavily favoured Detroit Red Wings in the opening round of the playoffs.  The Canucks sure could have used him in that year in the 94 playoffs.  I'm sure the way Canucks dismissed Larionov also had an indirect negative impact on Pavel.

“As such, the Canucks lost one of the most entertaining and unique centermen ever to play the sport over a measly $150,000”

1 hour ago, kilgore said:

https://books.google.ca/books?id=WRpSDgAAQBAJ&pg=PT133&lpg=PT133&dq=larionov+played+swiss+league+russian+federation&source=bl&ots=krOI1wLjnM&sig=ACfU3U3bfi4IeZ7PXt2w2461-w7w7Dgj7w&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiex8CovYTqAhVBop4KHZeJCPMQ6AEwC3oECA8QAQ#v=onepage&q=larionov played swiss league russian federation&f=false

Canuck management wanted to allow the Russian Fed to extort some of Larionov's contract money, and ended up settling on $150,000.   But Igor was too principled for that, and didn't want any more money going to the Fed, so he acted on his own, went to the Swiss league, as the only legal way to cut ties with the Fed for good.  Canuck management did not take this kindly, so when he was available again after his stint in Europe, even though they had first dibs, as long as they gave him waiver protection, they turned their noses up, and San Jose picked him up.  Combined with that, they totally undervalued him.  Yet another dumb move, especially if you think about how he many have influenced and calmed Pavel's antagonism towards management, and helped mentor him here.  Instead he played in San Jose where he was re-united with Sergei Makarov and helped the Sharks to a record 59-point improvement over the previous season. The Sharks then upset the heavily favoured Detroit Red Wings in the opening round of the playoffs.  The Canucks sure could have used him in that year in the 94 playoffs.  I'm sure the way Canucks dismissed Larionov also had an indirect negative impact on Pavel.

“As such, the Canucks lost one of the most entertaining and unique centermen ever to play the sport over a measly $150,000”

That's not what it says. It says original the deal included a clause that if Larionov re-signed with the Canucks they had to pay the full amount of that second deal to the Russian Federation as an additional transfer fee. The Canucks negotiated that down to $150k "buyout" of the clause avoiding paying the full contract amount. But Larionov didn't want any money to go to the Russian Fed (even though it wasn't coming out of his pocket) and signed in Europe to eliminate the clause altogether. The Canucks didn't "want" to pay the fee, their hands were tied with the conditions of the original deal. The Russian Fed agreed to $150k because something was better than the nothing they would receive if the Canucks didn't re-sign him and they wouldn't re-sign him legally having to pay the full amount. The Russian Fed had no reason at all to simply waive the clause in that agreement giving the Canucks little choice but to pay something to retain him. So the line: “As such, the Canucks lost one of the most entertaining and unique centermen ever to play the sport over a measly $150,000” is actually on Larionov not the Canucks.

Nor does it say management "did not take it kindly" and "turned up their nose". It says "Quinn comments suggested the club had no sense the 31 year old Larionov still had a decade of high level hockey in him". And in the writers opinion "It's likely Quinn and the Canucks undervalued what Larionov might contribute going forward. It's also hard to imagine Larionov's complicated legal situation miffed an organization that overcame greater obstacles drafting and signing Bure". So the writer is saying Quinn more likely undervalued Larionov than the notion he was miffed at him. You're saying the opposite of what the writer said.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Baggins said:

That's not what it says. It says original the deal included a clause that if Larionov re-signed with the Canucks they had to pay the full amount of that second deal to the Russian Federation as an additional transfer fee. The Canucks negotiated that down to $150k "buyout" of the clause avoiding paying the full contract amount. But Larionov didn't want any money to go to the Russian Fed (even though it wasn't coming out of his pocket) and signed in Europe to eliminate the clause altogether. The Canucks didn't "want" to pay the fee, their hands were tied with the conditions of the original deal. The Russian Fed agreed to $150k because something was better than the nothing they would receive if the Canucks didn't re-sign him and they wouldn't re-sign him legally having to pay the full amount. The Russian Fed had no reason at all to simply waive the clause in that agreement giving the Canucks little choice but to pay something to retain him. So the line: “As such, the Canucks lost one of the most entertaining and unique centermen ever to play the sport over a measly $150,000” is actually on Larionov not the Canucks.

Nor does it say management "did not take it kindly" and "turned up their nose". It says "Quinn comments suggested the club had no sense the 31 year old Larionov still had a decade of high level hockey in him". And in the writers opinion "It's likely Quinn and the Canucks undervalued what Larionov might contribute going forward. It's also hard to imagine Larionov's complicated legal situation miffed an organization that overcame greater obstacles drafting and signing Bure". So the writer is saying Quinn more likely undervalued Larionov than the notion he was miffed at him. You're saying the opposite of what the writer said.

I contend, that Lariionov and his agent contended, that any new contract signed with the Canucks, being the cheapwads they were, they would find a way to recoup that $150,000 out of any new contract offer. The Canucks could have agreed with Igor's principles, and pulled their $150,000 offer, and promised to try and re-sign him when he returned. That was I believe what the author was getting at when he said it was all over a measly $150,000. Igor didn't want them to pay it.

But if you don't think the act of betraying the old boy system of players falling in line, especially back when they had less wages and power, by Igor not abiding by what his boss wanted him to do did not affect how they viewed him after that, I've got a bog in Surrey to sell you.  Why were they seemingly willing to contract him then, by agreeing to pay the Ruskies the $150,000, but afterwards, suddenly they didn't want him anymore? 

Didn't even make an offer when he was being shopped from San Jose. Detroit picked him up. Probably the bridges were burned to a crisp by then

Of course it was partly their lack of hockey talent evaluation ability to appreciate what he could do on the ice as well, which put the nail in the coffin.

On 6/12/2020 at 10:36 PM, kilgore said:

Just briefly on Carter. If you have a link to that 2 million dollar offer......because he claimed it was only about a $100,000 raise on the $1 mill.  If he was lying, I'm sure someone in Canucks management would have corrected that no?  But maybe they seriously just didn't think they had the cap space, again...who knows? But it was low ball.  I just think it had nothing to do with race.  Wasn't Kevin Weekes going to be our "goalie of the future" at one point?  Bottom line, if a player is talented enough, they will find a way into a lineup.  Winning is the only thing that matters for owners.

Is there anybody currently in Canucks management that was around then? Even if a former manager cared enough to say something it's just a he said/she said situation. What I mentioned was the typical "inside sources" in a Province article at the time. But they also talked about it on TSN. But just going on simple logic, the Canucks have a history of drafting, trading for, and signing minorities. Add to that they instead signed UFA Jan Bulis for $1.3m after a 20 goal season. Does it truly seem likely they only offered Carter $1.1m after a 30+ goal season and proven chemistry with the Sedins? Carter was still available when Bulis was signed after all. Even if racist, a GM isn't that stupid. Were he racist enough to be that stupid he likely wouldn't have signed a person of color in the first place. So no, I'm not buying what Carter is saying.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Is there anybody currently in Canucks management that was around then? Even if a former manager cared enough to say something it's just a he said/she said situation. What I mentioned was the typical "inside sources" in a Province article at the time. But they also talked about it on TSN. But just going on simple logic, the Canucks have a history of drafting, trading for, and signing minorities. Add to that they instead signed UFA Jan Bulis for $1.3m after a 20 goal season. Does it truly seem likely they only offered Carter $1.1m after a 30+ goal season and proven chemistry with the Sedins? Carter was still available when Bulis was signed after all. Even if racist, a GM isn't that stupid. Were he racist enough to be that stupid he likely wouldn't have signed a person of color in the first place. So no, I'm not buying what Carter is saying.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/wholl-be-linemate-for-sedins/article18173284/

We don't disagree much about Carter.  I was only taking his word for what he was offered. Hard to get a clear number. This G & M article at the time said the Canucks offered him $3.6  over two years. Which seems still a bit cheap considering he was the team leader in goals the previous season with a career high 33, but not too bad considering it was a two year deal. Still you think they could have offered him at least 4 for 2.  But I agree that it was not about race.  They thought the Sedins could just pass it to Bulis for cheaper.

1 minute ago, kilgore said:

I contend, that Lariionov and his agent contended, that any new contract signed with the Canucks, being the cheapwads they were, they would find a way to recoup that $150,000 out of any new contract offer. The Canucks could have agreed with Igor's principles, and pulled their $150,000 offer, and promised to try and re-sign him when he returned. That was I believe what the author was getting at when he said it was all over a measly $150,000. Igor didn't want them to pay it.

But if you don't think the act of betraying the old boy system of players falling in line, especially back when they had less wages and power, by Igor not abiding by what his boss wanted him to do did not affect how they viewed him after that, I've got a bog in Surrey to sell you.  Why were they seemingly willing to contract him then, by agreeing to pay the Ruskies the $150,000, but afterwards, suddenly they didn't want him anymore? 

Didn't even make an offer when he was being shopped from San Jose. Detroit picked him up. Probably the bridges were burned to a crisp by then

Of course it was partly their lack of hockey talent evaluation ability to appreciate what he could do on the ice as well, which put the nail in the coffin.

No, the author was saying they lost Larionov over $150k because Larionov himself didn't want the Russian Fed to get any more money. Which had nothing to do with Canucks management. The Canucks hands were tied by the original contract and they got the amount reduced so they could make Larionov an offer. The rest is just your own spin and unfounded assumptions. Teams do move on with players. The rest of Larionov's career is hindsight. As it is with any GM that let's a player walk.

But as you like to make assumptions how about this: Perhaps with Krutov being fat and lazy, Bure wanting his contract renegotiated, and Larionov walking over $150k (that he didn't even have to pay) they simply decided Russians were to unpredictable and temperamental. And at his age, it was better to just walk away. There's no actual indication of that either. But I can assume what they were thinking too, so that's the real reason why. You're just letting your own bias towards management shine here. Twisting what actually happened to paint them as evil slave masters.