The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report]Canucks hope to re-sign Markstrom

https://www.nhl.com/news/vancouver-canucks-hope-to-re-sign-goalie-jacob-markstrom/c-317134902

The Vancouver Canucks hope to re-sign goalie Jacob Markstrom, who can become an unrestricted free agent after this season, general manager Jim Benning told The Province on Tuesday.

"I've said all along that he's an important guy for us," Benning told the newspaper. "My intent is to figure out something that works for him and us. I'm hoping to get him signed, but that's part of the business. We'll have to wait and see."

The 30-year-old, who is in the final season of a three-year contract with an average annual value of $3.67 million, had been in negotiations with the Canucks before postponing those talks after the NHL season was paused March 12 due to concerns surrounding the coronavirus.

"Hockey has become not so important with everything that's going on around the world," Markstrom said in April. "Obviously, I would have liked to have had a long-term deal and know what I'm going to do for the next few years here, but that's not the case right now."

Markstrom has been Vancouver's No. 1 goalie since the start of the 2017-18 season. He was 23-16-4 with a 2.75 goals-against average this season, and among goalies to make at least 40 starts, he was fourth in the NHL with a .918 save percentage. 

Selected by the Florida Panthers in the second round (No. 31) of the 2008 NHL Draft, Markstrom was acquired by the Canucks as part of the trade involving Roberto Luongo on March 4, 2014. In 272 NHL games (256 starts), he is 110-118-32 with a 2.80 GAA and .911 save percentage.

"We know what's he's capable of," Benning said. "It's the reason when I took the job (on May 21, 2014) that we wanted to get him to Utica (the Canucks' American Hockey League affiliate) that year and develop because we knew there was a high side to his game. It's been a bit of a journey and we're seeing what he's capable of on a nightly basis."

Vancouver (36-27-6, .565 points percentage) will play the Minnesota Wild (35-27-7, .558) in a best-of-5 series in the Stanley Cup Qualifiers as part of the NHL Return to Play Plan, which will involve 24 teams competing for the Stanley Cup.

Whenever that series begins, Markstrom has said he will be ready to play after sustaining a knee injury in the second period of a 9-3 win against the Boston Bruins on Feb. 22, which required a minor procedure five days later.

Edited by peaches5
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

If we re-sign Markstrom the term will last for the rest of his prime.  And it would have implications for Thatcher Demko's future with the team.  Luongo-Schneider all over again...?

that means demko gets traded out before expansion  no way benning wants to lose him for free  could see a trade demko and stecher to sharks for a first possibly

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, BoKnows said:

Sign him to a 5 year deal.  $6.5M max.  In three years trade him, and start Demko.

you know there is an expansion draft coming up ?

demko or marky will need to be exposed

many posters on here doubt we will retain both goalies past that draft

not sure how your post deals with that possibility

1 minute ago, canuktravella said:

that means demko gets traded out before expansion  no way benning wants to lose him for free  could see a trade demko and stecher to sharks for a first possibly

He has a full year left on his contract.  I'm not sure if he has proven himself to have the trade value of a true starter.  

6 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

If we re-sign Markstrom the term will last for the rest of his prime.  And it would have implications for Thatcher Demko's future with the team.  Luongo-Schneider all over again...?

It's pretty clear Demko isn't ready to be a starter yet.  

• Cheers 4

1 minute ago, coastal.view said:

you know there is an expansion draft coming up ?

demko or marky will need to be exposed

many posters on here doubt we will retain both goalies past that draft

not sure how your post deals with that possibility

I forgot about Seattle...

We can cut a deal with Seattle to take a certain player in return for a second, etc.

Sign him to a 5 year deal.  $6.5M max.  In three years trade him, and start Demko.

The expansion draft is next summer. We have 1 year to decide between Demko or Markstrom.

Not a chance both squeak through the expansion draft.

Honestly if I'm Markstrom I am walking from Van. I sign a 5 or 6 year deal worth my full value - knowing I can become established with my family wherever it is I sign, because I wont be expansion bait.

Either that, or be guaranteed expansion protection in Van.

• Like 1

We can cut a deal with Seattle to take a certain player in return for a second, etc.

most deals like that which were done with vegas

proved to be unwise

not sure the team should go down that road

better to bite the bullet and lose an asset, rather then lose 2 or more

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Maginator said:

The expansion draft is next summer. We have 1 year to decide between Demko or Markstrom.

Honestly if I'm Markstrom I am walking from Van. I sign a 5 or 6 year deal worth my full value - knowing I can become established with my family wherever it is I sign, because I wont be expansion bait.

If we lose to Minnesota we're keeping Marky.  Benning will be on the not seat, desperate to make the play offs next season.

If we beat Minny, we still try to resign Marky but let him walk if he demands way too much money.

1 minute ago, Maginator said:

there is no way marky signs a contract of any length

that does not give him movement restriction for the first part of the contract

if the contract does not ensure that

he will choose where he wants to play via ufa

rather then let any team decide that for him

it is a pipe dream to think otherwise

so i'm saying the same thing as you

in a less round about way

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

I wouldn't do that for a backup goalie, especially when we have DiPietro coming along.  if you give up a 2nd, you are losing a prospect like Lind, Woo, or Hoglander, as well as the player Seattle chooses.  We already lose a 1st this year or next, as well as our 2nd from the Toffoli deal.

Personally, I'd trade Demko as a sweetener on a bad contract to free up some cap space to signToffoli.  Obviously after we sign Markstrom.

32 minutes ago, Maginator said:

That's the thing. COVID and its implications on the salary cap is perfect timing for the Canucks. Marky will be hard pressed to get a big contract here or elsewhere now. One year deal for him may make sense for both sides. Plus, we won't need to protect him. I bet this coming year sees a dropping cap, a compliance buy out. Buy out LE. Tanev and Marky on one year deals, this may be the perfect strom really. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, rekker said:

That's the thing. COVID and its implications on the salary cap is perfect timing for the Canucks. Marky will be hard pressed to get a big contract here or elsewhere now. One year deal for him may make sense for both sides. Plus, we won't need to protect him. I bet this coming year sees a dropping cap, a compliance buy out. Buy out LE. Tanev and Marky on one year deals, this may be the perfect strom really. 

That would be perfect (wishful, but great if it did happen and not 100% out of the realm of possibility)

Hopefully Sven also lights it up and rekindles value so we can trade him, Ferland stays healthy for playoffs and is a beast and Sutter recoups value with strong play too.

Back to the OP, it's gotta be the best :ph34r: kept secret in Canucks land.

• Like 1

Despite being 30, he has played significantly less games than most 30 year old starting goalies.  In that I think he has more of an ability to sustain his level of play despite his contact going into his mid thirties should we sign him long term. 

I would lock him up with term if possible, but alas covid and a stagnant/dropping cap makes things difficult.  Still not sold on either Demko or DiPietro so to have 4-5 years of certainty while we are in our window to win is pretty important. 

• Cheers 1