The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report]Canucks hope to re-sign Markstrom

We signed Edler to a 2 year deal so he was not exposed in the expansion draft. I am sure if Markstrom wants to play here he could take a 1 year. Yes he could receive a career ending injury but that will have to be his choice . Vancouver must not back themselves into a corner, we have much more important contracts coming up in the next few years. And we can not afford to protect players due to the numbers game.

52 minutes ago, BillfromVan said:

We signed Edler to a 2 year deal so he was not exposed in the expansion draft. I am sure if Markstrom wants to play here he could take a 1 year. Yes he could receive a career ending injury but that will have to be his choice . Vancouver must not back themselves into a corner, we have much more important contracts coming up in the next few years. And we can not afford to protect players due to the numbers game.

Markstrom has to think about himself first. The team second.  I’d be shocked if he signed a 1 year deal.  I seriously doubt that he cares about Vancouver having expansion draft issues. 

Edited by qwijibo

In what world would Marky want a 1 year deal?     
Less than 3 will be hard to get.  
He just had a career year.   
Im sure he loves it here, but he isnt dumb.  
He could get 5x6 on the open market no problem.  

Edited by drummerboy

15 hours ago, BoKnows said:

I forgot about Seattle...

We can cut a deal with Seattle to take a certain player in return for a second, etc.

If I was Seattle, I would be asking for Podkolzin. Nothing less. Why? Because they have the power too. Either u lose Demko or give me Podkolzin :) 

At this point, even though everyone here knows how much I LOVE this draft, we MUST beat the MIN in the play-ins because idk if signing markstrom is worth it for losing demko. We be done for if we dont have marky next year (100% a lottery team) 

Marky in EDM sounds pretty nice for them tbh... Marky as a stone wall and let Mcdavid and Drai rekt havoc. Cup winning team right there. 

Edited by DontMessMe
  • Cheers 1

12 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

If markstrom signs a 1 year deal, we don't even have to worry about Demko. We will just protect Demko in the expansion draft and expose the other goalies. Because Markstrom will be a UFA within a few weeks of expansion draft, Seattle won't pick him. We can then resign Markstrom after the ED.

Marky will NEVER sign a 1 year deal. thats stupid for him...

Scatter shooting here, but what if GMJB were to convince Marky to sign a 1-year top heavy deal with incentives ($7mil)? This could allow him to prove to the league this season was not an anomaly, while giving Demko time to prove he is ready to start. Then we can decide to extend Demko and let Marky walk to Seattle (still close to Van) or vice versa. It almost works out for Seattle because then they can sign Marky to a FA deal while going after another unprotected player on our roster (or possibly getting a pick for player protection in return). They are going to have cap space. Then again, I am not sure why anyone would want to move to Seattle/the nation of CHAZ right now. My home away from home and it is falling apart. Damn shame. 

Edited by Odjick29willkillyou

4 hours ago, Odjick29willkillyou said:

Scatter shooting here, but what if GMJB were to convince Marky to sign a 1-year top heavy deal with incentives ($7mil)? This could allow him to prove to the league this season was not an anomaly, while giving Demko time to prove he is ready to start. Then we can decide to extend Demko and let Marky walk to Seattle (still close to Van) or vice versa. It almost works out for Seattle because then they can sign Marky to a FA deal while going after another unprotected player on our roster (or possibly getting a pick for player protection in return). They are going to have cap space. Then again, I am not sure why anyone would want to move to Seattle/the nation of CHAZ right now. My home away from home and it is falling apart. Damn shame. 

First off, we don't have the cap for a 7mil contract this year... second there is no reason for Vancouver or Markstrom to sign a 1 year deal. Others have posted why Markstrom wouldn't (although maybe at that high of a camp which is totally out of the question for Van). There is no reason to sign him to a 1 year deal and then let him walk. In my opinion, if we can get it under the cap, the best situation is to have both goalies next year to decide who we want moving forward, and then expose the other one in the draft to avoid losing another player. Or we trade one of them if the incoming value from the trade is higher than that which we would lose in the expansion draft. 

5 hours ago, Odjick29willkillyou said:

First off. Performance bonuses aren’t allowed in a standard NHL contract. They’re reserved for players in entry level deals or players signing 35+ contracts 

PERFORMANCE BONUSES

What players may earn in performance bonuses?

Performance bonuses will only be permissible for the following types of players: (1) players on entry-level contracts; (2) players signing one-year contracts after returning from long-term injuries (players with 400 or more games who spent 100 or more days on injured reserve in the last year of their most recent contract); and senior veteran players who sign a one-year contract after the age of 35.”

Second, if Vancouver isn’t willing go to sign Markstrom to more than 1 year I’m sure he will easily find a team that will.  Signing a 1 year deal is a huge risk for him.  He could get injured or just have a bad year, then his value is in the tank.  

Edited by qwijibo

7 hours ago, The Great 8 said:

I’m in favour of trading Demko. He should be traded to a team with a mediocre starting goalie, like New Jersey. 

NJ might be a little sketchy about trading for another “up and coming Vancouver back up”. 

Schneids did good for two or three years but then the wheels kinda fell off. 

Honestly im not sold on demko either. I think benning trades him at the deadline next year. Concussions and when marky went down at the end of the year, i get the impression that thatcher said to himself “phew thank you covid”. 

7 hours ago, The Great 8 said:

I’m in favour of trading Demko. He should be traded to a team with a mediocre starting goalie, like New Jersey. 

NJD actually had one of the best goalies in the league in the 2nd half of the season.  Blackwood is still a rookie but they believe that he will be their starter for years to come.  Interim GM Fitzgerald calls Blackwood one of their pillars to build around.  

Edited by mll

14 hours ago, mll said:

NJD actually had one of the best goalies in the league in the 2nd half of the season.  Blackwood is still a rookie but they believe that he will be their starter for years to come.  Interim GM Fitzgerald calls Blackwood one of their pillars to build around.  

I completely forget about him. You never know with goalies though. For example Toronto acquired Bernier to be there future goalie but Anderson ended up taking that job. I believe Demko is worth a 2nd rounder and we could keep or flip that pick as needed.