The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Brendan Leipsic to sign with CSKA Moscow (KHL)

15 hours ago, grandmaster said:

Couldn’t disagree with you more. 

Regardless of being a “janitor” or a “visible hockey player”, people ought to have rights to private conversations. 

Keep your self righteous demands on other people to yourself.  People have the right of expression and regardless of your opinions, they are rights to be cherished in democratic society.  

Nothing said was close to being criminal.

It was a private message chat, not a damn declaration for the world. 

Ah, but you forget, very visible jobs of any sort have morality clauses. Janitors or whatever don't. So don't do a job where you could get fired for something like this. Or, as we see, go and do that job somewhere that doesn't care.

I didn't say he couldn't have private conversations either, just that saying crappy things in private but presenting in public as a person who doesn't say those things just makes one an even more terrible person than someone who would own those things.

He's a sexist, misogynist idiot. Own it, or go hide somewhere. Or better yet, change and not be that.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, The Lock said:

I would be extremely surprised if no one ever had a bad thought. I doubt one person on this planet is like that.

So I guess then everyone's a terrible person if this is how we are to think about that.

Even in your sentence, you're literally denouncing janitors. lol

I get what you are trying to say, and I value that you have nothing but good intentions with it, but I also think it's one of the most unrealistic expectations possible. What Leipsic did was crappy and I'm not defending him. I am, however, not going to think everyone can never have impure thoughts ever.

Lots of people have bad thoughts. Lots also recognize them as bad though, rather than thinking their normal. Or, at least, they can take a look when someone tells them they're bad and reevaluate if they should be thinking and using them in a way that would surely hurt people if they said them to their face.

12 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

Lots of people have bad thoughts. Lots also recognize them as bad though, rather than thinking their normal. Or, at least, they can take a look when someone tells them they're bad and reevaluate if they should be thinking and using them in a way that would surely hurt people if they said them to their face.

It's about the actions you take with those thoughts. Anyone should be allowed to think anything. How you portray those thoughts, if at all, makes the difference.

It doesn't mean they are a bad person for thinking of them though, which is how I read your post.

On 6/14/2020 at 4:45 PM, The Lock said:

It's about the actions you take with those thoughts. Anyone should be allowed to think anything. How you portray those thoughts, if at all, makes the difference.

It doesn't mean they are a bad person for thinking of them though, which is how I read your post.

Correct. Most people have at least some sort of bias, and we're never done trying to recognize and overcome them. It's the people who think these things but don't think they're bad - or worse, the people who think them and will only think/say them in private because they know they're bad but don't give a crap - that are the ones I'm talking about.

Edited by elvis15

On 6/13/2020 at 2:21 PM, Bocivus said:

I think the embarrassment was enough of a punishment for this guy.  Being fired from your job because a PRIVATE conversation got leaked is ridiculous.  The Capitals virtue signaling by cutting him is pathetic.     

I'd love to see the panic on the faces of the ones in here cheering this on if your private messages were ever made public. 

really

you would have no problem being a team mate of him afterwards?

i think he needed to go to preserve the locker room

there is no way he could come back

but, please explain how you think that could realistically have happened

• Cheers 2

On 6/13/2020 at 10:33 PM, elvis15 said:

Say whatever you want in private, just know that it means you're a terrible person. If you want to think or say something but feel you need to hide it, you're even more terrible since you know it isn't cool. Go ahead an be a janitor or something if that's all you are, not a very visible hockey player.

I find it ironic that you are acting high and mighty and then follow that up by equating a janitor to a terrible person. "Go ahead and be a janitor if that's all you are." All you are? For some people that is ALL they can be or have. Thanks for at least not posting this in private ;)

• Upvote 1

On 6/20/2020 at 6:38 AM, coastal.view said:

really

you would have no problem being a team mate of him afterwards?

i think he needed to go to preserve the locker room

there is no way he could come back

but, please explain how you think that could realistically have happened

This. I don’t think he got let go for the publicity so much as no teammate would want to play with him. Happens all the time (see Karlsson wanting out of Ottawa). It’s about keeping the team united and working together.

5 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

Worst person ever 

no loss as he was an insignificant nobody plug

don’t let the NHL door hit you on the way out 

- Hitler will be relieved

- 59 career NHL points and $2.5m career earning says otherwise

- Amen

14 hours ago, Azzy said:

- Amen

59 career points in the NHL = plug

$2.5 million today’s nhl = pocket change 

you need to read up to understand the “worst” comment, clearly went over your head 

Amen 

17 hours ago, Azzy said:

- Amen

There's a reason why his immediate reaction was to call his agent and ask if he can get him a job in the KHL. The guy was indeed on the way out of the league well before even saying anything stupid. 16 career goals in 187 games with 5 different teams over 4 seasons. Calling him a plug is disrespectful to plugs honestly. His only moment of relevancy in the NHL was coming to Vancouver and getting carried by our captain for 14 games. 

• Cheers 1

Looks like it ended up working out as well as it could for him...

Living in Moscow for 2 year would be awesome . Either there or St. Petersburg knows as Paris of the East and one of the most beautiful cities in the world..  

He was making 700k

After taxes and agent fees he'd take home under 350k

Next year if he made the NHL his pay would be 750k. With 30% escrow his real pay would be around 525k. Minus taxes and agent fees he'd make around 250k take home

He'll make more take home pay in KHL and get to live in Moscow and travel all over that part of the world for 2 years...

Edited by WHL rocks

22 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Looks like it ended up working out as well as it could for him...

Living in Moscow for 2 year would be awesome . Either there or St. Petersburg knows as Paris of the East and one of the most beautiful cities in the world..  

He was making 700k

After taxes and agent fees he'd take home under 350k

Next year if he made the NHL his pay would be 750k. With 30% escrow his real pay would be around 525k. Minus taxes and agent fees he'd make around 250k take home

He'll make more take home pay in KHL and get to live in Moscow and travel all over that part of the world for 2 years...

It’s why I’ll never understand people crying saying his career was canceled. Lol. I joked about Russia but it’s not a bad place to earn a hockey living if you’re not good enough for the NHL.