The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vegas named NHL hub city when play resumes

Rate this topic

On 6/13/2020 at 4:50 PM, Phil_314 said:

Great... Vegas.  This city.  Hope it's not led by this lady?!?!?!?!  Stay home Pete/ Bo/ Marky/ Quinn/ Brock... Loui you can go

Knew Vegas would be a hub city from Day one thanks to this dolt.  The path of least resistance...  Also bet Trump called Gar-bear and told him where to play.  

The more I think about this, the more I think the NHL has rocks in their heads to do this anywhere but in certain areas of Canada.

1) We have several provinces where this virus is basically non existent, including BC right now (outside of Ontario and Quebec).

2) We do not have the ridiculous riots and anarchy going on in the states.

3) We have a better health care system than the US to deal with this.

This NHL executive needs to wake up. The ratings will still be there. It doesn’t matter where the games are being aired from.

• Cheers 4

9 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

The more I think about this, the more I think the NHL has rocks in their heads to do this anywhere but in certain areas of Canada.

1) We have several provinces where this virus is basically non existent, including BC right now (outside of Ontario and Quebec).

2) We do not have the ridiculous riots and anarchy going on in the states.

3) We have a better health care system than the US to deal with this.

This NHL executive needs to wake up. The ratings will still be there. It doesn’t matter where the games are being aired from.

I think they would be looking at Canada aside from our quarantine restrictions

15 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

I think they would be looking at Canada aside from our quarantine restrictions

The exchange rate is so favourable that they would really like to set a hub in Canada.  They are apparently still trying to convince the authorities to have that quarantine rule relaxed where the quarantine area can be expanded to the rink - players wouldn't be going out of the bubble.

Even Benning says that the Canucks are thinking of holding training camp in the US because of that quarantine.  

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

My sentiments exactly, on this topic..   a piece of the radio interveiw.

Lets not forget the owners locked the players out for a season over revenue sharing.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/kevin-bieksa-still-skeptical-nhl-will-return-summer/

I get what he’s saying and it’s easy to be skeptical because like he said there’s still so much to figure out.

But from what I’ve seen and read the NHL is very motivated to get this thing going and so are the majority of the players.

I don’t think the NHL and NHLPA would be working this tirelessly if they thought things were unlikely to continue. 

The next two big hurdles will be safety protocols which I’m sure the NHL will put a lot of focus on, and which bubble cities will be chosen and how the families are included in that.

If they can get players on board with a plan that keeps them and their families safe while being able to see them regularly I think that’s the only real hurdle that needs to be overcome. The passion to keep playing will push them to come to an agreement on the rest.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

I get what he’s saying and it’s easy to be skeptical because like he said there’s still so much to figure out.

But from what I’ve seen and read the NHL is very motivated to get this thing going and so are the majority of the players.

I don’t think the NHL and NHLPA would be working this tirelessly if they thought things were unlikely to continue. 

The next two big hurdles will be safety protocols which I’m sure the NHL will put a lot of focus on, and which bubble cities will be chosen and how the families are included in that.

If they can get players on board with a plan that keeps them and their families safe while being able to see them regularly I think that’s the only real hurdle that needs to be overcome. The passion to keep playing will push them to come to an agreement on the rest.

That’s kinda funny ,. Considering that was the players thought process last time they got locked out. 

18 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

That’s kinda funny ,. Considering that was the players thought process last time they got locked out. 

And like the lockout there’s serious financial implications to not resuming the season.

The last thing they need this playoffs is 5-6 period games, guys will get hurt, by risking higher fatigue, and any lack of rest with a compressed game schedule(s) puts player closer to burn out.

We don't want shootouts, just use 3 on 3, or 4 on 4 OT's to get games over with quickly especially if they have to play the next day.

Our average playoffs take 2 months to finish. We need the games but not the long games that finish at 1 am.

1 hour ago, grandmaster said:

Toronto? :picard:

Once again, the NHL executive has rocks in their head if they want to consider Canada’s version of New York infection levels. 

Just like Stamkos wanted to play for Toronto right?

The guy writes for the Toronto sun. I doubt there’s any truth to that rumour.

• Cheers 1

37 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Just like Stamkos wanted to play for Toronto right?

The guy writes for the Toronto sun. I doubt there’s any truth to that rumour.

Chris Johnston also has Toronto as the league's preference.  Russo has been saying for a while that the league would prefer the home team not be stationed at home for equity reasons.  Vegas and Vancouver and in the same conference.  The Western conference would be stationed in Toronto and the East in Vegas.  That's also why LA has emerged as an option - the West could be stationed there but the league prefers to have a hub in Canada because of the favourable exchange rate.  

From a time zone perspective Toronto hosting the East and Vegas the West makes more sense though.  There's a 3 hour difference.

Edited by mll

4 hours ago, mll said:

Chris Johnston also has Toronto as the league's preference.  Russo has been saying for a while that the league would prefer the home team not be stationed at home for equity reasons.  Vegas and Vancouver and in the same conference.  The Western conference would be stationed in Toronto and the East in Vegas.  That's also why LA has emerged as an option - the West could be stationed there but the league prefers to have a hub in Canada because of the favourable exchange rate.  

From a time zone perspective Toronto hosting the East and Vegas the West makes more sense though.  There's a 3 hour difference.

Your argument over time zone is trivial versus the infection rate in the Toronto area. The Ontario health board or NHLPA should step in and tell these bone head NHL executives that it is not happening. 

12 hours ago, grandmaster said:

Your argument over time zone is trivial versus the infection rate in the Toronto area. The Ontario health board or NHLPA should step in and tell these bone head NHL executives that it is not happening. 

The cities didn't bid to become a hub without having full support of their health authorities.  Bids are typically very detailed and need everyone on board.  The league wants to create an airtight bubble.  Every location, hotel, restaurant, facility they will be using have to agree to abide to the protocol.

The league and NHLPA are working together on the return to play plan - the NHLPA is involved in the process to select the hub city.   Players will ultimately have to agree to the overall plan.

Edited by mll

On 6/17/2020 at 5:42 AM, mll said:

The league and NHLPA are working together on the return to play plan - the  ( THE PLAYERS WIVES/ GIRLFRIENDS )  is  the process to select the hub city.  

Fixed it for you. 

On 6/14/2020 at 7:54 PM, 10pavelbure96 said:

They shut the world down on the side of caution but hindsight shows that it really isnt that deadly.

Germany has been playing soccer for months now. Italy just started, New Zealand is open for business.

Go back in your pen

The bundesliga returned on 16th may so only been back 1 month and is led by an ex chemist who locked down and had stringent track and trace measures. They are an exception not the rule.

New Zealand is back open because apart from 2 people they released from quarantine early due to compassionate reasons (which now won’t happen) they had been virus free for a month. They put in struck travel measures and made the most of being a small island with. It a massive amount of international connections running through to stop it getting in and then locked down to stop it spreading early.

cannot compared US or Canada to either of these. 

neither country is at the level Germany is or new Zealand is in terms of R level so it’s not really a good analogy. 

On 6/13/2020 at 6:54 PM, kingofsurrey said:

I have zero interest in spending a beautiful summer evening indoors watching hockey on my TV.......

Millionaire hockey players trying to make money for Billionaire owners..... just does not interest  me.   

Players should refuse to play and stay safe  / keep their families safe....  Try to restart in 2021 if Covid numbers drop or a vacine is created. 

Zero interest to stay indoors.  During a pandemic.  Ok get into your car / go buy some gas, go sit in a park or loading beach, touch some things  etc ha ha.  Wow.   Why are you on this site spending time talking about hockey if you have zero interest in watching any hockey?  See you in November or whenever the next regular season starts up!   Ok a bit mean but wow. If your so worried about how much they make then maybe go look in the mirror...did your mommy buy you a house or did you earn every cent yourself?  I’m guessing the former. 

Do...the arithmetic.   The risk barely registers.  Leaving you house has more risk then they will have in their “ bubbles” and daily pre AND post game testing.    Have you got a haircut?  Bought any food the past 4 months?  It’s a JOB - that they’ve been paid in full for ahead of time ... what makes it more important then any other “non-essential” business?  Personally, from where I’m sitting / the entertainment value and the mental health strain on the Canadian citizens as a whole - I’d say this definitely qualifies as a “essential service “ and higher up then a few of the ones actually listed.    Not everyone can afford to sit on their ass collecting CERB cheque’s and waiting this out.    What makes pro hockey players do special that they shouldn’t have to go back to work too?  Just a stupid post on a hockey site, I’m sorry. 

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Zero interest to stay indoors.  During a pandemic.  Ok get into your car / go buy some gas, go sit in a park or loading beach, touch some things  etc ha ha.  Wow.   Why are you on this site spending time talking about hockey if you have zero interest in watching any hockey?  See you in November or whenever the next regular season starts up!   Ok a bit mean but wow. If your so worried about how much they make then maybe go look in the mirror...did your mommy buy you a house or did you earn every cent yourself?  I’m guessing the former. 

Do...the arithmetic.   The risk barely registers.  Leaving you house has more risk then they will have in their “ bubbles” and daily pre AND post game testing.    Have you got a haircut?  Bought any food the past 4 months?  It’s a JOB - that they’ve been paid in full for ahead of time ... what makes it more important then any other “non-essential” business?  Personally, from where I’m sitting / the entertainment value and the mental health strain on the Canadian citizens as a whole - I’d say this definitely qualifies as a “essential service “ and higher up then a few of the ones actually listed.    Not everyone can afford to sit on their ass collecting CERB cheque’s and waiting this out.    What makes pro hockey players do special that they shouldn’t have to go back to work too?  Just a stupid post on a hockey site, I’m sorry. 

Many of the players will have very little interest in bringing their families back from Europe to NA for 3 months  to quarentine in a hotel in a country with high levels of covid.

Essential service ?  Really....  you crack me up.