The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL's "Super 16" goaltender list has Markstrom at 13

Rate this topic

cuporbust

who cares what they say, all that matters is that he continue to play at the same level vs Minnesota coming up this summer. That list is inaccurate but many people could make a list and it would all vary.

Marky is good, but needs to stand on his head and get us into the REAL playoffs and beyond...He is a good goalie, to be great you need to be able to take your team well into the playoffs, win a round or 2 when your  team is subpar.

Should be interesting to see how he does, its Minnesota so I think he will be fine. Canucks in 4 is my guess

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

Hes not that low on that list. He should be around 9-10

Fleury is better than Hellybuck, Marky I would put on par or I guess maybe slightly below the Laff G as Marky has never seen the playoffs, where as Anderson has, not done too good.

Holtby should be higher too, but they are giving these younger kid goalies a high ranking due to 1 season or so of decent hockey. When does it really matter tho...in the playoffs! being able to steal a critical game and provide solid goaltending and going deep into the playoffs. 

marky is in the top 10 for me

17 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Fleury is better than Hellybuck, Marky I would put on par or I guess maybe slightly below the Laff G as Marky has never seen the playoffs, where as Anderson has, not done too good.

Holtby should be higher too, but they are giving these younger kid goalies a high ranking due to 1 season or so of decent hockey. When does it really matter tho...in the playoffs! being able to steal a critical game and provide solid goaltending and going deep into the playoffs. 

Holtby has been awful this year and Fleury has struggled too.

Edited by peaches5

18 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Fleury has had the better career, but Hellybuyck is the favourite to win the Vezina this year.  It’s not even close between those two atm. 

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Fleury has had the better career, but Hellybuyck is the favourite to win the Vezina this year.  It’s not even close between those two atm. 

are we going off regular season stats or ranking who would be the most valuable in this 24 team format. Yes he has been solid this year, if thats the case Jets should go a couple rounds with him minimum. 

If I had $5 to bet on a game 7 with Holtby/Fleury vs Helly I would take the proven cup winners. But judging them on this year alone, yes they are both having subpar years. 

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

Fleury had a horrible year

• Vintage 1

I don't think Markstrom had that good of a season statistically. But his value goes beyond the numbers. He's stolen so many games for us.

Looks like they're putting a lot of stock in GAA. But, only two goalies with more wins than Markstrom had a better save %, and they're Rask and Hellebuyck.

Should be top 10.

Depending on the value you put on games played, based on this season alone, I see a very strong case for Markstrom in the Top 10. Based on Vezina voting, I personally have him 5th. I think there's a lot of stock here placed on past performances in prior years.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

Maybe NHL.com should switch writers with NBC sports.   Even they seem to know more about what Markstrom accomplished this year ranking him 9th.

It seems like they just went with .sp mostly and didn’t take number ones vs back-ups into the equation as much as they should have and ranked them mostly on that.   Or consider defense or teams infront that much either.   Wonder how Markstrom would do in Dallas (check out their team defense - shots allowed etc) or TB or Boston.  

I don’t think he’s top five quite yet, not even just basing this one season against other goalies - but he’s definitely close and a top ten goalie.   He was deserving of his All-star selection...how many goalies get picked for that again?  Three per conference?  Hmmm.   I know the format is goofy now and all teams have to send one person so maybe it’s more...but I doubt they sent 13 goalies either. 

7 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

Would take both CUP winning goalies ahead of most other guys above them WITHOUT a cup

You definitely would not take Holtby with how poorly he has played. He shouldn't even be on the list with his play this year. Fleury should probably be off the list as well. This is why Markstrom is ranked so poorly because people are using the past to judge the calibre of the goaltending. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NaveJoseph said:

I don't think Markstrom had that good of a season statistically. But his value goes beyond the numbers. He's stolen so many games for us.

Looks like they're putting a lot of stock in GAA. But, only two goalies with more wins than Markstrom had a better save %, and they're Rask and Hellebuyck.

Should be top 10.

Based on sp% he’s 14th..with two goalies ahead of him that could be considered back-ups - so maybe 12th among starters.   This is where quality of shots should also be factored - a stat I believe Markstrom is top 3-5 in.  Nothing at all wrong with Markstroms stats if NHL.com dug a little deeper.  I suppose they were looking at body of work too, and playoff experience which Markstrom has none at the NHL level (although he did great at the AHL level under TG)...

Edited by IBatch

its a random list, people easily foget a couple of those goalies are cup winners. Everyone can have a "down" season or stretch in their career. 

I could care less with how they ranked the list, gets people talking hockey I guess...