The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We got screwed in ‘94

Rate this topic

Dumb Nuck

Just watching game 7 1994 replay and noticed when Linden scored the 1-2 short handed goal there were 2 delayed penalties yet both were waived after the goal and the Rangers retained the rest of their PP. The only mention of a rule I could find was only one of the penalties should have been waived and it should have been 4 on 4 with a power play for us afterwards.

Did we get screwed by a ref not knowing the rules?

Not long after we took a penalty and the Rangers scored to go up 3-1.

Edited by Dumb Nuck
  • Like 1

It does seem likes refs "improvise" a lot, especially in the playoffs. In this sense, we got screwed in 2011 too  but all this will make it that much sweeter when we do actually win it all.

I’m really curious now what the actual rule is and if indeed only one penalty should have been cancelled why no one protested.

Seems to me those few minutes were a game changer.

Edited by Dumb Nuck

there has never been a perfectly reffed game in any sport at any level

it is part of sport to know this

and overcome this

there are so many variables that can impact a game in a sport

part of participation is to learn to  be mentally tough enough

so that you develop the character/heart of a winner

while i do agree there is the rare game where real concern can be raised about reffing

overall, these are very rare

these complaints are raised so often and repeatedly

particularly now that we have access to replay and digital video of sporting events from multiple angles

that these complaints lose any value

a ref has 2 eyes, we have video replay from multiple angles that we can replay in slow motion so that it can become obvious to us fans that the refs erred

seems a little unfair to judge with that sort of advantage over a ref

and this all begins to sound like sour grapes from fans of the aggrieved team

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

there has never been a perfectly reffed game in any sport at any level

it is part of sport to know this

and overcome this

there are so many variables that can impact a game in a sport

part of participation is to learn to  be mentally tough enough

so that you develop the character/heart of a winner

while i do agree there is the rare game where real concern can be raised about reffing

overall, these are very rare

these complaints are raised so often and repeatedly

particularly now that we have access to replay and digital video of sporting events from multiple angles

that these complaints lose any value

a ref has 2 eyes, we have video replay from multiple angles that we can replay in slow motion so that it can become obvious to us fans that the refs erred

seems a little unfair to judge with that sort of advantage over a ref

and this all begins to sound like sour grapes from fans of the aggrieved team

My question is, what is the rule, this is not about bad calls or missed calls or an interpretation of the rules. If only one penalty should have been wiped then the ref screwed us by not knowing the rules because there would be no interpretation. Our fault as well for not knowing and protesting right away as it may have been changed.

Edited by Dumb Nuck

6 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

i am not sure

but am pretty confident

that pending minor penalties not yet called but in play before a goal is scored

are erased by a goal being scored

Like I said, the only reference I could find is only one should be erased as that would make a lot more sense as if a goal wasn’t scored there’d be 2 penalties. 1 goal wipes 1 penalty any other time. If a team is short two and scored upon both players don’t come back on the ice.

Obviously you don’t know, nor do I but if the ref didn’t then the title of my thread is pretty accurate.

Edited by Dumb Nuck

6 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Like I said, the only reference I could find is only one should be erased as that would make a lot more sense as if a goal wasn’t scored there’d be 2 penalties. 1 goal wipes 1 penalty any other time. If a team is short two and scored upon both players don’t come back on the ice.

Obviously you don’t know, nor do I but if the ref didn’t then the title of my thread is pretty accurate.

i don't agree your thread title is accurate

you believe that a missed call screws a team

that is not accurate

a missed call simply presents an hurdle a championship team overcomes

refereeing is not an exact science

it does not impact a game or sport the way you appear to suggest

there are multiple other variables that also impact and are present for most games

to suggest one refereeing error is the sole reason

is simplistic

• Like 1

lol....welcome to the hell that is being a Canuckfan.:lol:

Newflash, we got SCREWED in 1989 when Joel Otto was allowed to score a KICKED-IN winning goal in game 7.  Yes, that was year the Flamers won the cup.  

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

That was an exciting game 7. I was only 7 when that was live so it was nice to see again.

That team had heart, and that team is the greatest canucks team of all time, right down to the buzzer.

The 2011 team laid an egg in game 7 and the game was over after 2 periods.

I hope this new core can do one better than Linden, Bure, McLean and co.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

i don't agree your thread title is accurate

you believe that a missed call screws a team

that is not accurate

a missed call simply presents an hurdle a championship team overcomes

refereeing is not an exact science

it does not impact a game or sport the way you appear to suggest

there are multiple other variables that also impact and are present for most games

to suggest one refereeing error is the sole reason

is simplistic

Please understand, this was not a missed call, I’ve grown to expect and live with them, this potentially was a whole reffing crew not knowing rules which is not acceptable at this level, big difference.

Edited by Dumb Nuck

I also understand pretty much every rule is up for interpretation thus shades of grey but this one isn’t, it’s either black or white.

Fact: there were 2 delayed penalties on the play

Fact: Canucks scored.

Scenario 1: Goal wipes all delayed penalties.

Result: Refs got it right

Scenario 2: Goal wipes 1 penalty.

Result: Refs did not know the rules.

There is no discussion, one or the other is correct.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

I also understand pretty much every rule is up for interpretation thus shades of grey but this one isn’t, it’s either black or white.

Fact: there were 2 delayed penalties on the play

Fact: Canucks scored.

Scenario 1: Goal wipes all delayed penalties.

Result: Refs got it right

Scenario 2: Goal wipes 1 penalty.

Result: Refs did not know the rules.

There is no discussion, one or the other is correct.

This is interesting stuff, and as depressing as Game 7 outcome was, I’d like to know the rule as well. I would assume that a goal would just eliminate the one penalty. That 94 team was something so special, and I know there’s an alternate universe out there where we win that game.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Slegr said:

This is interesting stuff, and as depressing as Game 7 outcome was, I’d like to know the rule as well. I would assume that a goal would just eliminate the one penalty. That 94 team was something so special, and I know there’s an alternate universe out there where we win that game.

Thank you for actually understanding what I was trying to say.

23 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Please understand, this was not a missed call, I’ve grown to expect and live with them, this potentially was a whole reffing crew not knowing rules which is not acceptable at this level, big difference.

15.2 Calling a Minor Penalty - Goal Scored: If the referee raises his arm for a delayed minor penalty and the non-offending team scores a goal, the minor penalty is wiped out. Major and match penalties are still assessed, however. The logic of this rule applies in the next few instances.

More obscurely, if there is more than one minor penalty being assessed and a goal is scored by the non-offending team, the Captain can decide which penalty or penalties will be enforced.

15.3 Calling a Double-minor Penalty - Goal Scored: If the referee is waiting on a delayed double-minor penalty and the non-offending team scores, one minor is wiped off the double-minor call. The double-minor is recorded, but only a single minor is served because of a goal scored.

now do i get a cookie as a reward ? :towel:

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

15.2 Calling a Minor Penalty - Goal Scored: If the referee raises his arm for a delayed minor penalty and the non-offending team scores a goal, the minor penalty is wiped out. Major and match penalties are still assessed, however. The logic of this rule applies in the next few instances.

More obscurely, if there is more than one minor penalty being assessed and a goal is scored by the non-offending team, the Captain can decide which penalty or penalties will be enforced.

15.3 Calling a Double-minor Penalty - Goal Scored: If the referee is waiting on a delayed double-minor penalty and the non-offending team scores, one minor is wiped off the double-minor call. The double-minor is recorded, but only a single minor is served because of a goal scored.

now do i get a cookie as a reward ? :towel:

So we actually got screwed by a reffing team not knowing the rules, I know we got screwed many times by $&!#ty reffing but this takes the cake and actually 26 years later angers me once again. Sadly our coaching staff knew no better and did not protest. Weird that some dumb nuck fan would figure this out a quarter century later.

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

So we actually got screwed by a reffing team not knowing the rules, I know we got screwed many times by $&!#ty reffing but this takes the cake and actually 26 years later angers me once again. Sadly our coaching staff knew no better and did not protest. Weird that some dumb nuck fan would figure this out a quarter century later.

Screw - Simple Machines

pin that to your screen

as a reminder and keepsake

and since you overlooked my request

i decided to go help myself anyway

Cookie Stock Photos And Images - 123RF

Edited by coastal.view
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Slegr said:

hmm, (firing up the delorean).