The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We got screwed in ‘94

Rate this topic

Dumb Nuck

The league is run by businessmen and lawyers, you think they value fairness over maximizing profit? Roger Neilson said it best, "There are two things in the world you never want to find out, what goes into a hot dog, and what goes on in the NHL head office"

7 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

hmm, (firing up the delorean).

Perhaps you prefer Sports Net Pacific (and all other Sports Nets) firing it up and showing us non stop Blue Jay games like we actually care.

1 hour ago, KristoffWixenschon said:

Hypothetically if we could get to a place where Artificial Intelligence can be used to perfectly referee a game.... would you support it's use or do you feel that the human factor of refereeing is part of the game?

I already stated that most calls are a shade of grey, this one wasn’t, it’s either one or the other and they seem to have not known the rules. Last I checked they review goals to try to get that right even though there still is some fudge factor. Just surprised no one noticed this before, maybe time to surrender my user name?

Edited by Dumb Nuck

4 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

I already stated that most calls are a shade of grey, this one wasn’t, it’s either one or the other and they seem to have not known the rules. Last I checked they review goals to try to get that right even though there still is some fudge factor. Just surprised no one noticed this before, maybe time to surrender my user name?

Hey man you raise a compelling point.  But you didnt upload the infraction or the reffing mistake.  You made it sound like an egregious error that cost us the cup.  And now even fellow Canuck fans are calling you for sour grapes, even though they have no idea what you're complaining about.

But if everything played out as you described (upload the damn clip), then it is an absolute reffing foul.  It can't be chalked up as refs being human (like a missed call).  This is a rulebook issue and if the rules are forgotten, it's a real problem.  Imagine if someone today scores a shootout goal using the illegal spin-o-rama and the refs let it stand.

Edited by Bob.Loblaw

7 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

So we actually got screwed by a reffing team not knowing the rules, I know we got screwed many times by $&!#ty reffing but this takes the cake and actually 26 years later angers me once again. Sadly our coaching staff knew no better and did not protest. Weird that some dumb nuck fan would figure this out a quarter century later.

Pretty sure the fan reaction after the game meant that you weren’t the only one that picked up on the fact we were screwed.   Poor Linden, he wasn’t aware of this either as it turns out he was the one that could have said “hey wtf, one of these guys still has to go in the box and I pick _____ !”.    Not that he didn’t do his part.   So far this is the closest we’ve come to winning.  After game six it felt like destiny to me at the time.   Was confident we were going to beat them and the refs.   Didn’t happen.   I was sad.    

In 2011 against CHI it seemed like the refs were doing anything and everything in their power to get them back into the series ... after that it wasn’t too bad.  We had 2–1 PPs against Boston, the refs weren’t going to call more, that I understood. 

That said nobody complains when we get away from an obvious call.   It’s a two-way street.   Last playoffs was one of the worst I’ve ever seen.  Bad calls cost teams series ... nice to hear that Bettmans “head was about to explode” though - I found that hilarious.   

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

83 canucks go down to the islanders in 4 , no case for the argument of having to 'beat the refs'. 94 different story, either  of the 2 teams not  being a stand out over the other both being comparatively close ,the same could be said about the 2011 series, I'm not sure there was or wasn't  a conspiracy, guilty of paying attention to the game in the heat of the moment and not so much the refs.  Given current  league parody  I cant see it getting any easier for the canucks becoming a clear cut favourite unfortunately. bringing me to this parody thing , does the loser point effect the standings at the end of the season?. I see it as the NHL's version of 'everybody gets a participation ribbon'. the canucks have always been forced to play 'the clean game' So when they do win , and they will win,  this will make it that much sweeter if in fact there  is some kind of conspiracy. leaning towards a conspiracy but  still unconvinced..... bettman you suck!

Edited by chon derry

10 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Perhaps you prefer Sports Net Pacific (and all other Sports Nets) firing it up and showing us non stop Blue Jay games like we actually care.

just joking.

I agree with you.  There were a lot of things that happened that conspired against us.  Like the extra day of rest the Rangers had after the Jersey series.  And then this.  In my mind, that rule is pretty cut and dry.  There may be gray areas when it comes to calling hooking, interference etc.. but not knowing the actual rule is inexcusable.  Would it have made a difference?  perhaps.  We will never know.  

• Like 1

Having watched that series, we got jobbed.

It was supposed to be given to the Rangers, an O6 Team on the longest drought.

It was even worse refereeing than the Womens' Salt Lake 2002 gold medal game. Which is saying a lot, because that was absolutely a s**t show.

The hockey hierarchy is as follows:

Original 6

California

Sun Belt

Remaining Big Market (Non Canadian)

Non O6 Canadian.

The refereeing in matches where a team is in a different level of the hierarchy, you'll note that the refereeing becomes preferential towards the higher team on the list. The further 'apart' on the list, the more one-sided it becomes. So an O6 vs California will yield more favourable refereeing towards the O6 team, but not by a whole lot. Or in a "Calgary vs Edmonton" Non 06 Canadian, it'll be pretty much level on balance.

An O6 vs Winnipeg? Hope you've lubed it up, Winny.

On balance through completely scientific occasional viewing of out of town/market games, it holds up surprisingly well.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, chon derry said:

83 canucks go down to the islanders in 4 , no case for the argument of having to 'beat the refs'. 94 different story, either  of the 2 teams not  being a stand out over the other both being comparatively close ,the same could be said about the 2011 series, I'm not sure there was or wasn't  a conspiracy, guilty of paying attention to the game in the heat of the moment and not so much the refs.  Given current  league parody  I cant see it getting any easier for the canucks becoming a clear cut favourite unfortunately. bringing me to this parody thing , does the loser point effect the standings at the end of the season?. I see it as the NHL's version of 'everybody gets a participation ribbon'. the canucks have always been forced to play 'the clean game' So when they do win , and they will win,  this will make it that much sweeter if in fact there  is some kind of conspiracy. leaning towards a conspiracy but  still unconvinced..... bettman you suck!

82 Canucks - I was just happy we made it that far.

94 was a thriller.

2011 was a travesty.  

11 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

So we actually got screwed by a reffing team not knowing the rules, I know we got screwed many times by $&!#ty reffing but this takes the cake and actually 26 years later angers me once again. Sadly our coaching staff knew no better and did not protest. Weird that some dumb nuck fan would figure this out a quarter century later.

Yep. But why do you assume that they didn't know the rules? I think they knew the rules, they chose not to enforce it.

6 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Hey man you raise a compelling point.  But you didnt upload the infraction or the reffing mistake.  You made it sound like an egregious error that cost us the cup.  And now even fellow Canuck fans are calling you for sour grapes, even though they have no idea what you're complaining about.

But if everything played out as you described (upload the damn clip), then it is an absolute reffing foul.  It can't be chalked up as refs being human (like a missed call).  This is a rulebook issue and if the rules are forgotten, it's a real problem.  Imagine if someone today scores a shootout goal using the illegal spin-o-rama and the refs let it stand.

12 hours ago, coastal.view said:

15.2 Calling a Minor Penalty - Goal Scored: If the referee raises his arm for a delayed minor penalty and the non-offending team scores a goal, the minor penalty is wiped out. Major and match penalties are still assessed, however. The logic of this rule applies in the next few instances.

More obscurely, if there is more than one minor penalty being assessed and a goal is scored by the non-offending team, the Captain can decide which penalty or penalties will be enforced.

15.3 Calling a Double-minor Penalty - Goal Scored: If the referee is waiting on a delayed double-minor penalty and the non-offending team scores, one minor is wiped off the double-minor call. The double-minor is recorded, but only a single minor is served because of a goal scored.

now do i get a cookie as a reward ? :towel:

Sorry I'm late

• Cheers 1