The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We got screwed in ‘94

Rate this topic

Dumb Nuck

I couldn't find anything in the official rule book. The only website that discusses this very problem supports Dumb Nuck's idea. Only one delayed penalty should have been wiped out. 

If the offending team (the Flyers) commit another penalty while there is a delayed penalty, both players will go to the box. Only one will go to the box if a goal is scored with two delayed penalties.

from https://www.sonicsrising.com/2018/4/22/17268638/learning-the-game-the-delayed-penalty

I don't know if there have been any changes to the rule book since 94 and whether there were really two delayed penalties. The commentator said so and there were two infractions, but were they really called? If so, one Ranger would have had to go to the box despite the goal.

NHL rule book: https://nhl.bamcontent.com/images/assets/binary/308893668/binary-file/file.pdf

1 hour ago, joe-max said:

I don't know... whether there were really two delayed penalties. The commentator said so and there were two infractions, but were they really called? If so, one Ranger would have had to go to the box despite the goal.

Yeah, that’s a key question on whether two delayed penalties were really about to be called. Harry Neale may have been  speculating with that assertion, but how could he really tell with just one referee out there?

That said, if it was supposed to be two, it was early enough in the game to have made a huge difference and give us some extra momentum.

4 hours ago, Heretic said:

Yeah and we should spray the cup with graffiti and smash it to the ground!   

Yeah that’s already been done before, it’s been dropped before and as for the graffiti, didn’t Messier have his dads name engraved on the Cup.

19 minutes ago, the grinder said:

you just figured this out now?   after 26 frigging years ??     never mind game 7  how about at the  end of game 6 where messier was literally kicking the crap out of linden when he was down  , no call no nothing  the fix was on from there 

Well, even this late I may be the first. As I said, this isn’t about bad calls or missed calls, that horse was beaten long ago, watching the replay last night, after a few beer I realized that maybe the refs didn’t get a rule right and that was at a crucial time in the game.

15 hours ago, KristoffWixenschon said:

Hypothetically if we could get to a place where Artificial Intelligence can be used to perfectly referee a game.... would you support it's use or do you feel that the human factor of refereeing is part of the game?

I'd support it. 

But since we are far from achieving perfect AI, we should add video reviews to aid the referees. Video also makes it hard for the refs to miss calls intentionally as their mistakes will be scrutinized, leading to less game management.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Well, even this late I may be the first. As I said, this isn’t about bad calls or missed calls, that horse was beaten long ago, watching the replay last night, after a few beer I realized that maybe the refs didn’t get a rule right and that was at a crucial time in the game.

umm you made  your post about a missed call  aka not  getting a rule right   but any ways   CFAB er's ( Canuck Fans Againist Bettman) lets seize Stanley park in protest and threaten to topple lord Stanley statue if the nhl wont hear our grievances lol

1 hour ago, the grinder said:

you just figured this out now?   after 26 frigging years ??     never mind game 7  how about at the  end of game 6 where messier was literally kicking the crap out of linden when he was down  , no call no nothing  the fix was on from there 

You know what baffles me about that? The fact it was only mentioned by commentators but there is zero video footage aired or shown on it.

We are talking about the Stanley Cup finals, game 6! With the two captains of their respective teams. How can there be no video footage of said incident? Did CBC intentionally not show it?

I think as taxpayers, we deserve answers.

3 minutes ago, the grinder said:

umm you made  your post about a missed call  aka not  getting a rule right   but any ways   CFAB er's ( Canuck Fans Againist Bettman) lets seize Stanley park in protest and threaten to topple lord Stanley statue if the nhl wont hear our grievances lol

It’s not a missed call, they made the calls, just didn’t execute the rules properly, there is a difference. Irregardless, after watching last night and noticing this I found it interesting and something I never realized before so thought it might make for an interesting thread.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, the grinder said:

Same with his viscous cross-check into the boards on Momesso...really hard to like the guy after that. 

27 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

It’s not a missed call, they made the calls, just didn’t execute the rules properly, there is a difference. Irregardless, after watching last night and noticing this I found it interesting and something I never realized before so thought it might make for an interesting thread.

Irregardless is not a word. 

6 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Irregardless is not a word. 

Yes it is.

Irregardless is a nonstandard synonym for regardless, which means “without concern as to advice, warning, or hardship,” or “heedless.” Its nonstandard status is due to the double negative construction of the prefix ir- with the suffix -less. ... The bottom line is that irregardless is indeed a word, albeit a clunky one.

Edited by Dumb Nuck
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Yes it is.

Irregardless is a nonstandard synonym for regardless, which means “without concern as to advice, warning, or hardship,” or “heedless.” Its nonstandard status is due to the double negative construction of the prefix ir- with the suffix -less. ... The bottom line is that irregardless is indeed a word, albeit a clunky one.

Just enjoyed the back and forth when this came up a couple months ago.   Couldn’t help myself. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Slegr said:

You know what baffles me about that? The fact it was only mentioned by commentators but there is zero video footage aired or shown on it.

We are talking about the Stanley Cup finals, game 6! With the two captains of their respective teams. How can there be no video footage of said incident? Did CBC intentionally not show it?

I think as taxpayers, we deserve answers.

I do believe there is video of it happening   .as messier kicks him in the ribs and  then punches him  

Just now, IBatch said:

Just enjoyed the back and forth when this came up a couple months ago.   Couldn’t help myself. 

Ha, good one, thought you were serious. There seemed to be a lot of people dead set against it being a word so since that thread I’ve been using it every chance I get.

2 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

lol your whole post is about    , the ref missing   a 2 minute penalty  on 2 delayed penalties when a goal is scored  ,and your saying it a not a missed call lol   ,  your funny  and have the perfect name  

Speaking of getting screwed in ‘94 what about the mystery penalty call on Jyrki Lumme that led to the Rangers first goal in game seven?

Lumme was visibly perplexed and no replay could find an infraction. Considering what it took to get a penalty in that series that one has always baffled me.