The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks lineup when hockey starts up again

Rate this topic

Roberts

20 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

He would be available as the Canucks qualified him in 2017, so the Canucks owned Tryamkin's rights prior to the 2020 trade dead line. If say we sign a random KHL player we never drafted today, he won't be eligible as his rights were acquired by the Canucks after the 2020 trade deadline.

He isn't available.  Every player whose rights belong to the Canucks are on the reserve list - it's limited to 90 players.  On that reserve list there are different categories of players.  Horvat, Miller, Sutter are on the reserve list as signed players.  Rathbone, Podkolzin as unsigned prospects and Tryamkin as an RFA.  There are different rules associated to each category.  Tryamkin is a RFA and as such cannot play this season as he had to be signed by 1 December.

• Cheers 1

Maybe have Sven Baertschi as the 3rd line winger for Gaudette?  He played on the 3rd line when he first arrived and even with all his detractors, he has been a very responsible 2-way forward.  You already have Sutter as the defense-first guy, there really isn't a need to have Eriksson too.  At least with Sven, he will be an offensive threat on the line since he has a developed chemistry with AG.  

Plus he still has good chemistry with Horvat and Boeser too.  Not saying he's going to bump Pearson or Toffoli, but it gives Coach Green more options.  Baertschi is a legit NHL player... just his salary and concussion issues makes him a liability under the salary cap, but since there's no cap in this "post-season", he should be given an opportunity with the big team.  

Sounds like Dhaliwal was throwing some shade at Virtanen. Last season i went to a  Canucks pre-season game in Abby. This was just after the training camp debacle.

Virtanen was coming off a game in Calgary where he dominated, scoring 2 goals including the OT winner. That was a split squad game, Green didn't coach that squad.

The next game Green gave him about 5 minuets on the 4th line and of course, it didn't build his confidence much. That was a preseason game, put him out there after a 2 goal performance.

I get it that Green wants the best out of him but to me, how out of shape was he when two weeks later, he's skating past everyone on the ice,

10 hours ago, bree2 said:

I really don't think Gaudette is good enough to centre a line, I would change Boeser and Toffoli around  to give both Pearson and Toffoli a try together, since they played great together before

Gaudette, if he struggles, may have to sit for a vet....the key for the Canucks is getting production from their top lines so that they don't have to rely on the 3rd and 4th line scoring or being scored on.

On 6/16/2020 at 3:07 PM, Bure_Pavel said:

Miller-Petey-Boeser 

Pearson-Horvat-Toffoli

Ferland-Gaudette-Virtanen

Roussel-Beagle-Sutter

Edler - Myers

Hughes - Tanev

Benn - Stecher

Markstrom

Demko

consensus lineup above. My personal lineup is based on a duo pair with a third revolving pivot(similar to how AV deployed forwards). not traditional first, second line etc. the best lines each night gets bulk of the mins.

FORWARDS (Duo Pairs in bold)

Ferland(LW) - Petey(C) - Boeser(RW) - match up against opponent 2 or 3rd line

Pearson(LW) - Horvat(C) - Toffoli(RW) - match up against opponent 1st when offence is required as a shutdown unit, otherwise against 2-4

Virtanen(LW) - JT Miller(C) - Gaudette(RW) - against line 2-4

Motte(LW) - Beagle(C) - Sutter(RW) - defensive match up against line 1-2 and line 4 head to head

Extra/Rotating forwards from first to last: Macwen RW(1), Roussel LW(2), Loui LW/RW(3), Baertschi LW(4)

DEFENCE (based on some capable Dmen playing their off wing allowing for a more puck transition pair. each pair with a puck mover and defensive partner)

Edler(LD) - Hughes(RD) (Edler plays well when paired with an elite puck mover.Think Ehroff, Karlsson & OEL on international stage)

Tanev(LD) - Myers(RD)  (Myers is muchmore effective with a strong 2way positional sound defensive partner.Allows him to roam more)

Benn(LD) - Stecher(RD) (Benn adds more physicality to the pair than Oscar. Stecher as your 3rd pair puckmover)

Edited by nuckfanfromafrica

On 6/20/2020 at 9:48 AM, nuckfanfromafrica said:

consensus lineup above. My personal lineup is based on a duo pair with a third revolving pivot(similar to how AV deployed forwards). not traditional first, second line etc. the best lines each night gets bulk of the mins.

FORWARDS (Duo Pairs in bold)

Ferland(LW) - Petey(C) - Boeser(RW) - match up against opponent 2 or 3rd line

Pearson(LW) - Horvat(C) - Toffoli(RW) - match up against opponent 1st when offence is required as a shutdown unit, otherwise against 2-4

Virtanen(LW) - JT Miller(C) - Gaudette(RW) - against line 2-4

Motte(LW) - Beagle(C) - Sutter(RW) - defensive match up against line 1-2 and line 4 head to head

Extra/Rotating forwards from first to last: Macwen RW(1), Roussel LW(2), Loui LW/RW(3), Baertschi LW(4)

DEFENCE (based on some capable Dmen playing their off wing allowing for a more puck transition pair. each pair with a puck mover and defensive partner)

Edler(LD) - Hughes(RD) (Edler plays well when paired with an elite puck mover.Think Ehroff, Karlsson & OEL on international stage)

Tanev(LD) - Myers(RD)  (Myers is muchmore effective with a strong 2way positional sound defensive partner.Allows him to roam more)

Benn(LD) - Stecher(RD) (Benn adds more physicality to the pair than Oscar. Stecher as your 3rd pair puckmover)

Miller on the third line didnt work too well for Tampa Bay in the playoff, I think Ferland is too much of a question mark to have him on the first line with Petey, If he comes back a shell of a player he used to be, he will drag down that line.

This is what I would do:

Miller-Pettersson-Toffoli

Pearson-Horvat-Boeser

Roussel-Gaudette-Virtanen

Eriksson-Beagle-Sutter (shut down line)

(I’m assuming that Ferland and Leivo won’t be ready and even if Ferland was, he would still be too rusty to justify playing ahead of other players).  

Edler-Stecher

Hughes-Tanev

Benn-Myers

Markstrom

Demko

Miller-Pettersson-Toffoli

Pearson-Horvat-Boeser

Roussel-Gaudette-Virtanen

Ferland-Beagle-Motte

Sutter

Leivo in for Ferland if Ferland is still hurt, and Eriksson in the 4th line LW spot for Leivo and Ferland if both of those guys are hurt.  

Edler-Stecher

Hughes-Tanev

Benn-Myers

Fantenberg

Markstrom

Demko

On 6/15/2020 at 11:31 AM, Roberts said:

Want to get everyone's thoughts on what you think the Canucks lineup will (or should) look like when hockey starts up again. With a healthy team, these lineups should look pretty solid.

It would not be in the best interest for any player to show up to the Canucks camp out of shape.

I'd like to thank Rick Dhaliwal for stating the blatantly obvious; just in case someone was oblivious.

One positive about the draft lottery and the play-in series is it gives Canucks a huge chance for experimenting with lines and roster moves. 

This play-in series i expect seeing alot of different combinations and roster ins and outs trying to find magic line combos. 

theres less pressure this play-in series but after that Canucks need to be a rolling beastly playoff team with all lines going.

Go Canucks Go

4 hours ago, HockeyHarry said:

One positive about the draft lottery and the play-in series is it gives Canucks a huge chance for experimenting with lines and roster moves. 

This play-in series i expect seeing alot of different combinations and roster ins and outs trying to find magic line combos. 

theres less pressure this play-in series but after that Canucks need to be a rolling beastly playoff team with all lines going.

Go Canucks Go

Interesting opinions

Personally I think there will be as much pressure in play in games.

Additionally I feel coaches will be cautious in a short 5 game series, sticking for the most part to proven line combination.  Injuries and poor performance will inevitably require some tinkering

Go Canucks go 

• Cheers 1