The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

9 years ago in a parallel universe far away

Rate this topic

EP40.

I'm sort of over it now.

I think when the Sedins retired, it felt like it was time to move on from those memories. They were the last remaining core pieces left from that team and with them gone, there was very little left to remind me of that series anymore. I guess Edler is still here but he somehow doesn't quite represent that era of Canucks history as much as the Sedins, Kesler, Luongo, Burr, Salo, Hamhuis, and Bieksa did. I guess Tanev is still here too but he was just a rookie at the time.

I think the new core led by EP and Hughes made it easier too. 

With this new core, maybe we are in for a Blackhawks type dynasty -- 3 cups in 6 seasons.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Well we did win the President's Trophy the year following, and were first seed for the playoffs, but got bumped by the Kings in the 1st round, winning just 1 game.  (Was the 3rd consecutive playoffs we got beaten by the eventual SC Champions)

After that it was downhill, but I remember for that following season we did engender a lot of hope, only to be easily crushed.

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, EP40. said:

Pain. Even to this day.

And somewhere in villages all over Africa, are Stanley Cap Champ hats with all the other teams including 2 of ours at least with folks walking around with finals losers hats.   The alternate Universe on planet earth.   Or the land of misfit cup losers hats.    Did they print this out early just in case?   Or is it photoshopped? 

17 hours ago, EP40. said:

Pain. Even to this day.

Having a picture like that around is the equivalent of touching the trophy for the Western Conference champions...

We don't want fakes, these will haunt us, we want the real thing.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, nwdivision said:

I understand wanting to look back at 1994, but, 1982? Really? They were swept.

In 94 and 2011, the teams were at least considered playoff teams and/or contenders. They weren't really even expected to make the playoffs in 82. I can see why people would like to reminisce about that run, not to mention it was the first finals run for the franchise.

10 hours ago, IBatch said:

And somewhere in villages all over Africa, are Stanley Cap Champ hats with all the other teams including 2 of ours at least with folks walking around with finals losers hats.   The alternate Universe on planet earth.   Or the land of misfit cup losers hats.    Did they print this out early just in case?   Or is it photoshopped? 

Yes, this was the draft of what would’ve been the front page of the VSun

On 6/15/2020 at 4:19 PM, Kevin Biestra said:

Honestly, I just don't think about it.  Game seven was terrible.  I'd rather look back on 94 and 82.

'82 when they had a paved road to the finals where they didn't win a single game? :lol:

On 6/15/2020 at 4:36 PM, apollo said:

Meh I feel no pain. We are the 2011 Champs in my books all day.

Would love a copy of that... anyone know where I can get it? Would love to hang it. Ideally a picture without Roberto Florida but still

That series was fixed from the get go - we were by far the better team.

I don’t think you can, I believe that’s the only one and it’s at the Sun’s HQ.