The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sabres fire Jason Botterill, name Kevyn Adams GM

Rate this topic

9 hours ago, mll said:

“We felt like we weren’t being heard” with too many differences of opinion was the main explanation given by the Pegulas.  They hired someone in house as GM without a search because they know and trust him - there was no interest in bringing someone from the exterior. 

They also don't want a president of hockey operations and say they don't believe in that philosophy.  They talk of believing in a flat organisation where themselves, Kevyn Adams and Krueger are in open communication.  They talk of running the franchise "effectively, efficiently and economically".

Krueger brings his experience from being chairman of Southampton.  He is going to be more involved in the management side.

The segment with the Pegulas starts at 5:30.

They hired them as the fix for the draft at this point..   an article I read said that he fills one of the many holes they have to keep them operational and costs down through losses at this time.

From the 31 Thoughts Podcast.

Seems Botterill was pushing back against organisational changes that the Pegulas wanted, which was basically the Bloody Tuesday thing yesterday.

Botterill isn't a term guy, didn't want to give Skinner his current deal. Wanted it to be more money, less term, was overruled by the Pegulas.

He didn't want to give Eichel his current deal - whether that means he wanted less term or less money they didn't say, but he wasn't happy with this deal and again the Pegulas overruled any negotiation he wanted to do.

He's not a term guy, longer contracts probably not on him. Believes term deals are one of the things that can majorly &^@# up teams.

Adams' hiring was a good part because of what we already guessed - they wanted a yes man. Seems the Pegulas are going to even more of a role in the day to day business than they already were.

Pegulas consciously chose to stay away from previously experienced 'hockey people' for GM because they felt hockey people had failed them. Consciously chose to stay in house, as they likely will for a couple of other positions. They have a couple more FO and training staff they fully trust. Adams was a consciously inexperienced choice.

Only going to see Botterill's effects in 3 odd years, as he didn't have enough time to effectively rebuild

As of yesterday morning Botts thought his job was secure, same with other firings. Outside org, a lot of people thought writing was on the wall after Eichel spoke out, but just fired FO was conducting everything from contract negotiations to draft scouting and planning as normal. Will need to re-do any negotiations they were in the middle of.

Last year expectation was unless Edmonton & Buffalo improved in the next 2-3 years, Eichel and McDavid would likely ask for trades. McDavid is now happy w/ Oilers direction, Eichel is even more unhappy.

Krueger secure in his job, partly because NHL pedigree is limited and he isn't a typical 'hockey guy.' His influence is expanding and will have a greater say in hockey ops next year. Reasons also partly because Eichel has a lot of trust in him.

Pegulas still want to draft & develop well + wait is to see how Cozens, Mittelstadt develop. While goalie prospects look promising, Sabres biggest issue is lack of goaltending.

Hutton had surgery recently to do w/ eyesight, hoping that makes his game better.

That said, may also see a return of strategy that was there immediately after Pegulas bought the team - which is to say, pay all the free agents everything in an effort to audition for Eichel, make the playoffs, and stave off a trade request.

https://podcast.sportsnet.ca/31-thoughts/buffaloed/

• Thanks 3

55 minutes ago, Qwags said:

Botterill isn't a term guy, didn't want to give Skinner his current deal. Wanted it to be more money, less term, was overruled by the Pegulas.

He didn't want to give Eichel his current deal - whether that means he wanted less term or less money they didn't say, but he wasn't happy with this deal and again the Pegulas overruled any negotiation he wanted to do.

He’s certainly right about term. That Skinner contract was simply terrible back when it was signed, and the sudden cap implications of COVID have only made it worse.

A lot can happen in 4-8 years - injuries, regression, character issues, lack of motivation... even a pandemic. If it’s a foundational player (and I don’t mean Sutter), then you have to lock in. But going longer than 2-3 years at decent coin for older and/or complimentary players isn’t good strategy. You’re better off filling 2/3 of those spots with younger/cheaper players, which frees up money for another really good player to fill the 3rd spot.

Skinner is a really good player...for now. But he’s too old an injury prone to be worth even close to that contract in a few years.

Edited by D-Money

Well I wonder what @SabresFan thinks about this? Miss his participation. Pegula might have money but when you put as much as they have into the team and it continues to sink then moves are in order. Just happy with the Acquilinis.  

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Well I wonder what @SabresFan thinks about this? Miss his participation. Pegula might have money but when you put as much as they have into the team and it continues to sink then moves are in order. Just happy with the Acquilinis.  

I'd agreed if Botterill had been there for more than 3 seasons. In the 10 seasons since the Pegulas purchased the team, they have gone through 4 GMs and 6 coaches. Literally Oilers East.

1 hour ago, Qwags said:

I'd agreed if Botterill had been there for more than 3 seasons. In the 10 seasons since the Pegulas purchased the team, they have gone through 4 GMs and 6 coaches. Literally Oilers East.

OUCH! I think they are doing better with the Bills. I agree that 3 years is not close to enough time for a GM.  

1 hour ago, Mackcanuck said:

Any decent scouts we can grab?

I don’t think this just limited to the NHL in terms of being unprecedented. It may be the record for any major sports team.

Edited by DeNiro

On 6/16/2020 at 8:50 AM, Bitter Melon said:

I mean, I'm obviously not that well versed on the Buffalo front office, but I don't know if putting a Senior Vice President of Business Administration in the most important hockey ops role is a great idea.

Sounds like they're more worried about pinching pennies than icing a great team.