The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gourmet Coffees

skolozsy2

Blue Mountain (Jamaica) coffee, imo, is the best...however, very expensive. They were selling it by the cup in Steveston...$18 a cup. I bought some while in Jamaica last year, brought it home, and was very disappointed. It was a blend at best. Same in Hawaii, Kona coffee you get at the ABC stores etc are a blend, not pure kona coffee. Big difference.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Usually get my beans from either Fantastico or Bows and Arrows in person.  I get the whole bean and then grind myself before the French press.  It's an entirely different beverage compared to Folgers.

I'm a user of the French press myself, as well as purchasing whole bean.  

Do you crack and stir the grinds after a minute as some suggest, or do you let the grinds stay at the top as some others recommend?  Personally, I crack and stir.

7 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Has anybody tried chicory root? It's not coffee but a coffee alternative. I bought it because I drink a lot of it and do try to do less (everything in moderation). It's supposed to taste like coffee but it's not.

Years ago, tasted too bitter for me.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Has anybody tried chicory root? It's not coffee but a coffee alternative. I bought it because I drink a lot of it and do try to do less (everything in moderation). It's supposed to taste like coffee but it's not.

You could try mixing the coffee and chicory root to wean yourself down on the caffeine. 

4 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

You could try mixing the coffee and chicory root to wean yourself down on the caffeine. 

I'm not hooked on caffeine. I went all week without coffee so it's not a problem. I do decaf a lot instead. Just considering it as an alternative to coffee every now and then. All I drink otherwise is water #yawn 

Edited by Tortorella's Rant
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

I'm not hooked on caffeine. I went all week without coffee so it's not a problem. I do decaf a lot instead. Just considering it as an alternative to coffee every now and then. All I drink otherwise is water #yawn 

Are you looking for an alternative taste or what? 

8 hours ago, Just1CupBeforeIDie said:

Blue Mountain (Jamaica) coffee, imo, is the best...however, very expensive. They were selling it by the cup in Steveston...$18 a cup. I bought some while in Jamaica last year, brought it home, and was very disappointed. It was a blend at best. Same in Hawaii, Kona coffee you get at the ABC stores etc are a blend, not pure kona coffee. Big difference.

I’ve been meaning to try Blue Mountain.

5 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Like you, the only other thing we drink is water, which is why we don't mind splurging on a little pricier coffee.  And we only have a small cup or two per day.   Never tried chicory root though, might look into it.

13 hours ago, Just1CupBeforeIDie said:

$18 per cup....yowza!

23 hours ago, Monty said:

Obviously depends on the amount. I got a 125g (ground, not whole bean), which was $39.99. It's one of those things that, if you like coffee, you should probably try once just to say that you did. I was expecting to go, "Yeah, it's fine. It tastes like coffee. I'm glad I tried it for the experience, but I won't buy it again."

Nope, it really is terrific. Even when I do the exact same process with other grounds and beans at home, I can never get the same consistency from cup to cup. This stuff is quality and tastes the same each time. I'll end up buying it once a year at Christmas for a treat, and bump up to the 250g bag at $59.99. Just a hint of chocolate and cherries, but not overpowering. But real, real smooth and rich. Drinking it right now.

Do you put it through an espresso maker or a drip coffee machine? i have a breville at home that I use. Currently drinking lavazza

23 hours ago, Monty said:

I ordered Kopi Luwak coffee earlier last week and got it 4 days ago. The coffee that's is cultivated by Asian Civets digesting and then crapping out the cherries and beans. Pricey, but incredible. Worth the experience and ordering a 225g bag once a year.

is it the source for covid-19?

heard a rumour about civets

but suspect i likely am spit balling about this