The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gourmet Coffees

skolozsy2

20 hours ago, Just1CupBeforeIDie said:

By the way, LaVazzo Oro is cheapest at Walmart, by quite a bit, compared to London Drugs or Save On etc

best is to buy it on sale

i bought 12 pounds of LaVazzo at around $10 per 2 pound bag about 8 weeks ago (was more then 60% off regular price)

figured that would get me through the covid 19 issue

i supplement with other coffees to keep things interesting

and also blend

to supplement the narrow taste range of the lower quality offerings

so that the cup i brew actually has a more interesting flavour

but be smart in how you do this or you can make your blend worse as well :P

Edited by coastal.view

2 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Do you put it through an espresso maker or a drip coffee machine? i have a breville at home that I use. Currently drinking lavazza

I’ve used both a Kuerig machine and a coffee press, and they both taste the same. Such a consistent flavour.

2 hours ago, coastal.view said:

is it the source for covid-19?

heard a rumour about civets

but suspect i likely am spit balling about this

Probably not the source. I mean, the coffee is from Indonesia, not *Trump Voice* “China.” It’s also for sale on Amazon. If it was a problem, they wouldn’t sell it at all.

Another underrated coffee is MJB, the original in the green can. It's smooth and not bitter at all.  The problem is they have discontinued it at a lot of stores. The only place that sells it now is Buy Low at Kingsgate Mall and that's only because my friend asked the manager to keep it on the shelves. And it's cheap too! Folgers and Maxwell House are  junk, imo.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2020 at 12:51 PM, King Heffy said:

Usually get my beans from either Fantastico or Bows and Arrows in person.  I get the whole bean and then grind myself before the French press.  It's an entirely different beverage compared to Folgers.

On 6/19/2020 at 1:33 PM, skolozsy2 said:

I'm a user of the French press myself, as well as purchasing whole bean.  

Do you crack and stir the grinds after a minute as some suggest, or do you let the grinds stay at the top as some others recommend?  Personally, I crack and stir.

6 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Do you put it through an espresso maker or a drip coffee machine? i have a breville at home that I use. Currently drinking lavazza

Y'all need to try an Aeropress :towel:

As for me, I'm a bit of a bean whore. From the big box stores I don't mind Kicking Horse, Ethical Bean, Saltspring etc. I like to try smaller roasters like Oso Negro in Nelson and Drumroaster in Cobble Hill as well. Recently I was drinking some stuff we got through our kids school/fund raising. No idea who the roaster is but it was better than I thought it was going to be :lol:

• Thanks 1

I get a monthly coffee from one which gives a fresh toast each month and also buy some during the month from some roasters.

what I’ve found is this - the skill of the roaster  is  paramount. Also how you make it also makes a massive difference to flavour and I’m not just talking about the strength.

Also flavour notes Are very subjective as they are basically a Baristas description of The coffee rather than an actual flavour. (Plus most people don’t have a coffee tasting palette unless they have been trained) Also the way you make your coffee will most likely be different to how a barista made it (and unless it’s from the same roast you have bought is pretty meaningless )