The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[SIGNING] Goldobin signs with CSKA Moskow

On 4/16/2020 at 6:10 AM, Battlemonger said:

Not surprised. It was over for Goldy when we got Lievo and Pearson. Good luck in Russia, bud!

Yeah, that's true. Leivo is more versatile player and can play up and down the line up. Pearson - top six player for us. Goldobin is a top six kind of player, or bust. He doesn't really have the game to play middle six role, and he's not made for a bottom six role. 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah, that's true. Leivo is more versatile player and can play up and down the line up. Pearson - top six player for us. Goldobin is a top six kind of player, or bust. He doesn't really have the game to play middle six role, and he's not made for a bottom six role. 

I watched the 2015 WJC again the other night. Goldy played well but hit the crossbar on a open net. Sound familiar? Losing by a goal with 2 1/2 minutes left in the 3rd, Goldy never saw the ice. I appreciated that he stuck it out and tried to adjust his game to fit the NHL. In his heart I think he felt he had to seek the open ice and not engage physically to be effective. His puck battle was never quite good enough. Wish him well in the KHL.

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/patrick-johnston-goldy-just-wishes-hed-scored-more-for-the-canucks

Nikolay Goldobin's NHL dream lives on even though he is moving to the KHL for the next two seasons

With his sights now firmly set on a return to Russia, Nikolay Goldobin seems to have just one regret about his time with the Vancouver Canucks. He wishes that he’d scored more.

The 24-year-old winger admits that there were a lot of chances he missed during the 2018-19 season, when he often played on Elias Pettersson’s left wing.

“Sometimes there’s tough times for hockey players. And I had a tough time the year before, when I couldn’t score. I still felt pretty good. It’s kind of hard to describe. It goes how it goes, you know? You can’t control it,” he said from his home in Moscow.

“It’s not like I didn’t get chances, I got chances every game, a couple chances and empty nets as well. It was, I don’t know, like a black line in my life. I was unlucky,” said Goldobin. “I think if I’d played longer, I think that stretch would have been done. And I could have started scoring again. But then I started getting healthy scratches and they went down.”

It was a frustrating finish to the season but he still believed he could be an NHL player. He wouldn’t have signed a one-year, US$900,000 contract last summer if he didn’t.

1127057812.jpg?quality=60&strip=all&w=640

Nikolay Goldobin in action against the Colorado Avalanche in on Feb. 2, 2019. Matthew Stockman / Getty Images files

Goldobin also knew he was coming back to a very challenging situation in Vancouver, with lots of competition for spots on left wing. Not making the team out of training camp, and being sent back to the American Hockey League, put him into a mental funk last fall.

“It was not the level I wanted to be, obviously,” he said. But then he found his game. He had 50 points in 51 games before the AHL season, like the NHL’s was suspended.

“I think I proved myself there. I still enjoyed the game, you know? Good team and good guys around it. I enjoyed hockey,” he said, admitting he was disappointed that he only made a single NHL appearance this season, a brief one at that.

When CSKA Moscow of the Kontinental Hockey Leauge approached him with a two-year contract, he looked at the uncertainty of where the NHL is at, not knowing when the next season might start, whether there would be a team that would be interested in him, and figured it was time to head home.

Dobber Hockey’s Cam Robinson said CSKA was a good fit for Goldobin.

If they give him the ice time he will shred,” he said. “I imagine he’ll instantly become a top-15 offensive player in the league. That style and the bigger ice should be perfect for his game. He’s definitely going to the right place. With (Kirill) Kaprizov and (Mikhail) Grigorenko leaving, the offensive role is there.”

Goldobin hasn’t played hockey in Russia since he was 16, when he jumped to the OHL’s Sarnia Sting. In the eight years he spent in North America, he learned a lot about himself.

“I learned a lot about America. People still don’t know how hard it is to be in a different country. I played a lot in America and Canada but it’s so different for me. My family was far away. There’s a lot of things that sometimes affect you. You have to stay strong but some people don’t care about it so that’s why it might seem harder sometimes,” said Goldobin.

“Always stay strong, yeah.”

Goldobin feels no ill will towards Canucks coach Travis Green or general manager Jim Benning.

“I have nothing bad to say about those guys,” he said. “I know they’re thinking differently but I know they like me, hopefully.”

In 2018-19, he met with Green, often twice a week. Whatever was said, Goldobin always believed it was important to project a positive look in public. That so many fans always supported him meant a lot.

“Sometimes those talks were nice, sometimes not. Of course those are secret, they stay in the coach’s room, but I would just try to smile all the time and not let the fans see me upset or anything.”

“Vancouver was a beautiful time. The fans are crazy. The city is beautiful. I wish I could have played there more. Not for now, but maybe later. One day.”

Goldobin also said he didn’t know what might happen with Nikita Tryamkin. The big defenceman’s agent has said more than once that Tryamkin would like to return to the NHL and Benning has said the Canucks are interested.

“He doesn’t know yet,” he said. “He does want to come but he doesn’t know yet. But he said he’ll let me know right away.”

17 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/patrick-johnston-goldy-just-wishes-hed-scored-more-for-the-canucks

Nikolay Goldobin's NHL dream lives on even though he is moving to the KHL for the next two seasons

With his sights now firmly set on a return to Russia, Nikolay Goldobin seems to have just one regret about his time with the Vancouver Canucks. He wishes that he’d scored more.

The 24-year-old winger admits that there were a lot of chances he missed during the 2018-19 season, when he often played on Elias Pettersson’s left wing.

“Sometimes there’s tough times for hockey players. And I had a tough time the year before, when I couldn’t score. I still felt pretty good. It’s kind of hard to describe. It goes how it goes, you know? You can’t control it,” he said from his home in Moscow.

“It’s not like I didn’t get chances, I got chances every game, a couple chances and empty nets as well. It was, I don’t know, like a black line in my life. I was unlucky,” said Goldobin. “I think if I’d played longer, I think that stretch would have been done. And I could have started scoring again. But then I started getting healthy scratches and they went down.”

It was a frustrating finish to the season but he still believed he could be an NHL player. He wouldn’t have signed a one-year, US$900,000 contract last summer if he didn’t.

1127057812.jpg?quality=60&strip=all&w=640

Nikolay Goldobin in action against the Colorado Avalanche in on Feb. 2, 2019. Matthew Stockman / Getty Images files

Goldobin also knew he was coming back to a very challenging situation in Vancouver, with lots of competition for spots on left wing. Not making the team out of training camp, and being sent back to the American Hockey League, put him into a mental funk last fall.

“It was not the level I wanted to be, obviously,” he said. But then he found his game. He had 50 points in 51 games before the AHL season, like the NHL’s was suspended.

“I think I proved myself there. I still enjoyed the game, you know? Good team and good guys around it. I enjoyed hockey,” he said, admitting he was disappointed that he only made a single NHL appearance this season, a brief one at that.

When CSKA Moscow of the Kontinental Hockey Leauge approached him with a two-year contract, he looked at the uncertainty of where the NHL is at, not knowing when the next season might start, whether there would be a team that would be interested in him, and figured it was time to head home.

Dobber Hockey’s Cam Robinson said CSKA was a good fit for Goldobin.

If they give him the ice time he will shred,” he said. “I imagine he’ll instantly become a top-15 offensive player in the league. That style and the bigger ice should be perfect for his game. He’s definitely going to the right place. With (Kirill) Kaprizov and (Mikhail) Grigorenko leaving, the offensive role is there.”

Goldobin hasn’t played hockey in Russia since he was 16, when he jumped to the OHL’s Sarnia Sting. In the eight years he spent in North America, he learned a lot about himself.

“I learned a lot about America. People still don’t know how hard it is to be in a different country. I played a lot in America and Canada but it’s so different for me. My family was far away. There’s a lot of things that sometimes affect you. You have to stay strong but some people don’t care about it so that’s why it might seem harder sometimes,” said Goldobin.

“Always stay strong, yeah.”

Goldobin feels no ill will towards Canucks coach Travis Green or general manager Jim Benning.

“I have nothing bad to say about those guys,” he said. “I know they’re thinking differently but I know they like me, hopefully.”

In 2018-19, he met with Green, often twice a week. Whatever was said, Goldobin always believed it was important to project a positive look in public. That so many fans always supported him meant a lot.

“Sometimes those talks were nice, sometimes not. Of course those are secret, they stay in the coach’s room, but I would just try to smile all the time and not let the fans see me upset or anything.”

“Vancouver was a beautiful time. The fans are crazy. The city is beautiful. I wish I could have played there more. Not for now, but maybe later. One day.”

Goldobin also said he didn’t know what might happen with Nikita Tryamkin. The big defenceman’s agent has said more than once that Tryamkin would like to return to the NHL and Benning has said the Canucks are interested.

“He doesn’t know yet,” he said. “He does want to come but he doesn’t know yet. But he said he’ll let me know right away.”

He comes off as a guy you really want to support and hope he gets to the next level. However at the same time, I think he still doesn't truly get "it". He still believes that if he scored more that it would've changed things and of course it could've kept him around longer. However, the team was always preaching about the play away from the puck and the effort to play a two way game and that is honestly what would've bought him more time if his offense wasn't there yet. There was definitely some improvement from when he first arrived, but he wasn't at a point where he needed minor improvements to round out his game as he needed almost an overhaul.

Still wish him the best, but it's going to take far more than scoring more (unless we are talking Panarin type numbers) to get him back in the NHL regularly.

"“Sometimes those talks were nice, sometimes not. Of course those are secret, they stay in the coach’s room, but I would just try to smile all the time and not let the fans see me upset or anything.”"

That's the kind of player you want in your locker room. it's not even a team-first attitude, it's a franchise-first attitude. 
i'm sad his time with the canucks is over.

Good luck Goldy! Was excited when we got him, and he had a good attitude, but just didn't have the well rounded skill set needed to make it in the best league in the world. I'm sure he'll be great in the KHL and I personally cheer for him to make his way back here to give it another go. 

• Cheers 1

On 4/26/2020 at 6:55 AM, Boudrias said:

I watched the 2015 WJC again the other night. Goldy played well but hit the crossbar on a open net. Sound familiar? Losing by a goal with 2 1/2 minutes left in the 3rd, Goldy never saw the ice. I appreciated that he stuck it out and tried to adjust his game to fit the NHL. In his heart I think he felt he had to seek the open ice and not engage physically to be effective. His puck battle was never quite good enough. Wish him well in the KHL.

Yeah. He could've learned a lot from JT Miller in that regards with respect to board battles and puck battles. His intensity level was always lacking. He did improve his defensive awareness, though, it was probably not a large enough improvement for Green to slot him into the line up. And when the team started getting better in every position, Goldobin just became expendable over that time. Unfortunate. He seems like he had a solid head on his shoulders for a Russian. Russian players in the league, has always had unfortunately a reputation of bolting to the KHL when they don't get what they want. Goldobin, for all the flaws in his game, I appreciated his heart and willingness to battle when he was sent down to the AHL. he never really complained. Just worked. It's just too bad that he wasn't good enough for the NHL . 

He is just 24 years old. I mean, in 2 years, he'll only be 26. Still relatively young, could take another run down the road if he's shown enough growth in his game and improvement. Who knows? I wish him nothing but the best. He was a Canuck for a short while, with a good head on his shoulders. He worked hard to try to make an NHL career. Can't fault him for not making it to the big show. I hope he tears it up in the KHL. 

On 4/27/2020 at 12:26 AM, deus.ex.makina said:

"“Sometimes those talks were nice, sometimes not. Of course those are secret, they stay in the coach’s room, but I would just try to smile all the time and not let the fans see me upset or anything.”"

That's the kind of player you want in your locker room. it's not even a team-first attitude, it's a franchise-first attitude. 
i'm sad his time with the canucks is over.

He would've been a rock star if he had been consistent and producing in this town. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I liked Goldobin too. Thought he was talented and had a fairly good attitude. Definitely not your stereotypical Russian who seem to want it gifted to them (which is probably unfair to Russians especially nowadays). Sometimes you just get in a coach’s doghouse for whatever reason (Keith Ballard / Vigneault) and can’t get out. It’s too bad they couldn’t move him to give him another chance in the NHL and maybe get an asset in return but he obviously wasn’t in high demand. Best of luck Goldy. Hopefully you get another shot in the NHL in a couple of years.

On 5/3/2020 at 11:17 PM, Brock Botanen said:

Really believe we should've gave him more of a leash. Hes got top 6 talent for sure. Just needed more consistency imo

How much more slack should we have given this kid? He had every opportunity available to him.  He played with the Sedins for god sakes..... petterson, bo freakin horvat. 

Have a nice flight goldy!! 

Goldobin was given a fair shake. Maybe he could've earned a few more minutes (when we didn't have anyone to play in the top 6). If he had earned Green's trust to play more than just waiting for passes or skating around he may have stuck around longer. I wish him the best, maybe he can come back to the NHL at some point in his career. Good luck Goldy, wish you all the best in your home country! 

Edited by Nostalgia

• 4 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

Does that mean he won't even be with the Canucks as a Black Ace in the series against he Wild?

I think the contract is meant for the following start of the regular season in the KHL.  I would think technically he is eligible, but if a player has already signed elsewhere, you typically question their ability to be present with the team they are still on and where the commitment level is.  They won't reward that.  They will likely look to give another guy a look like Lukas Jasek or Jonah Gadjovich.

He had his chances. Time to move on. He wasn’t top 6 material and not suitable for bottom 6. Good luck in Russia. 

I guess the 1M in cap savings doesn’t matter now because we are moving into playoff format and it was just a 1 year deal.