The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[SIGNING] Goldobin signs with CSKA Moskow

https://www.traderumours.com/index.php?blog=18270&fbclid=IwAR180J1YWUYZEd6lvsEwRx_Mo2lFV1ayA0X1R-odOH-SksOASJuZWKIMnhI

"It had surprised many that the Vancouver Canucks were only willing to commit one year at $900k for 24-year-old winger Nikolay Goldobin before the start of last season. More surprises came as the former first round draft pick of Sharks (back in 2014) who had spent the full season with the Canucks the year before, producing 27 points in 63 games, dressed for only one game with the NHL team last year, spending 51 games with the Utica Comets of the AHL, where he scored 19 goals and added 31 assists in 51 games.

Perhaps the biggest surprise came when the Canucks, in the middle of a rebuild chose not to make an offer for an extension to Goldobin when the season was halted. He ended up signing a two-year deal with CSKA Moscow of the KHL. He told the press that Vancouver simply did not want him and he'd be open to an NHL return after his KHL contract expires.

But a source told Allhockey.ru that Goldobin simply did not fit into the Canucks plans because of disciplinary problems. Allegedly, Goldobin frequently clashed with the Vancouver coaching staff, refusing to take instructions and follow advice. Other than the 2018-19 season, Goldobin spent quite a bit of time in the AHL, both for the San Jose Barracuda (Sharks' affiliate) and the Comets (Canucks' affiliate). The source also went on to say that CSKA coach Igor Nikitin was "not happy" to find out about the signing, because he was aware of Goldobin's history."

1 minute ago, AK_19 said:

https://www.traderumours.com/index.php?blog=18270&fbclid=IwAR180J1YWUYZEd6lvsEwRx_Mo2lFV1ayA0X1R-odOH-SksOASJuZWKIMnhI

"It had surprised many that the Vancouver Canucks were only willing to commit one year at $900k for 24-year-old winger Nikolay Goldobin before the start of last season. More surprises came as the former first round draft pick of Sharks (back in 2014) who had spent the full season with the Canucks the year before, producing 27 points in 63 games, dressed for only one game with the NHL team last year, spending 51 games with the Utica Comets of the AHL, where he scored 19 goals and added 31 assists in 51 games.

Perhaps the biggest surprise came when the Canucks, in the middle of a rebuild chose not to make an offer for an extension to Goldobin when the season was halted. He ended up signing a two-year deal with CSKA Moscow of the KHL. He told the press that Vancouver simply did not want him and he'd be open to an NHL return after his KHL contract expires.

But a source told Allhockey.ru that Goldobin simply did not fit into the Canucks plans because of disciplinary problems. Allegedly, Goldobin frequently clashed with the Vancouver coaching staff, refusing to take instructions and follow advice. Other than the 2018-19 season, Goldobin spent quite a bit of time in the AHL, both for the San Jose Barracuda (Sharks' affiliate) and the Comets (Canucks' affiliate). The source also went on to say that CSKA coach Igor Nikitin was "not happy" to find out about the signing, because he was aware of Goldobin's history."

Man when we landed Goldobin and Dahlen for Burrows and Hansen I thought we hit two home runs.

I guess this is why you have to scout character just as much as skill.

Lets hope we can turn Linus Karlsson into something at least.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Man when we landed Goldobin and Dahlen for Burrows and Hansen I thought we hit two home runs.

With Dahlen you may have a point, but I don't think Goldy had a poor character. He just wasn't able to deliver an urgent, uptempo game. Nice enough guy with lots off showcase skills, but he was like a sports car with a two speed transmission; so much potential, so little return.

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Both had some serious character issues. Dahlen is one of the oddest professional athletes I've ever heard of. It's like he's literally afraid of tougher competition and just wants to stay in an inferior league to feel good about himself. Most athletic people I know enjoy competition.

People keep bringing up Goldobin's offensive game but I simply don't get it. He was only on a 40 point pace (about a 10-12 goal pace) being fed prime offensive minutes, PP time, on a line with Petey. I don't recall people saying Granlund was a good offensive player because he got 20 goals with the Sedins (and without the PP time). If there is a current player wronged by the Canucks it's probably Baertschi who was a superior player to Goldobin in every way I can think of except speed. Baertschi put up better production and a better defensive game while playing on our shutdown line with Horvat. 

I still liked those moves to trade Burrows/Hansen because it was a signal of a shift in direction for the Canucks to rebuild. End of the day it's not like we lost valuable NHL players since Hansen/Burrows were shortly out of the NHL anyways. Linus likely is going to be AHL fodder but that is still worth quite a bit to us since we lack centres at that level. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, AK_19 said:

I still liked those moves to trade Burrows/Hansen because it was a signal of a shift in direction for the Canucks to rebuild. End of the day it's not like we lost valuable NHL players since Hansen/Burrows were shortly out of the NHL anyways. Linus likely is going to be AHL fodder but that is still worth quite a bit to us since we lack centres at that level. 

Only surprise greater than Goldy's failure here (I too thought he was a great pickup) was Hansen's play falling off the cliff THAT fast.

46 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

With Dahlen you may have a point, but I don't think Goldy had a poor character. He just wasn't able to deliver an urgent, uptempo game. Nice enough guy with lots off showcase skills, but he was like a sports car with a two speed transmission; so much potential, so little return.

Well the rumour that came out was that Goldy did have disciplinary issues and clashed with the coach.

Whether that’s true or not his play told the story. He did very little to adapt or advance his game in his time here. Didn’t do much with some golden opportunities too.

40 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Well the rumour that came out was that Goldy did have disciplinary issues and clashed with the coach.

I hadn't heard that. Thanks for the info. I think if he clashed with the coach it would have been over his inconsistent effort, but I could be wrong.

On 6/18/2020 at 5:35 PM, DeNiro said:

We also got a conditional (the condition being if the sharks won the 2016 Stanley Cup the pick would turn into a 1st) 4th round pick in the Hanson trade that became Rathbone. He sounds like another D man in our pool that could help us down the road (31 points in 28 GP with Harvard NCAA). Not all is lost with the Honey Badger return. 

Edited by EP Phone Home
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, EP Phone Home said:

We also got a conditional (the condition being if the sharks won the 2016 Stanley Cup the pick would turn into a 1st) 4th round pick in the Hanson trade that became Rathbone. He sounds like another D man in our pool that could help us down the road (31 points in 28 GP with Harvard NCAA). Not all is lost with the Honey Badger return. 

Unless of course Rathbone refuses to sign and goes free agent next summer. 

On 6/18/2020 at 5:35 PM, DeNiro said:

Yes and no.  Sometimes coaches and management may have a bias in place and once a player gets a certain reputation, it's stuck for their career.  

If a player is labelled as "still learning to be a pro", "adjusting", then he will get a longer leash.  

If a player is labelled as having "coaching issues", "one-dimensional", then he will get a shorter leash. 

On 6/18/2020 at 5:32 PM, AK_19 said:

What I have heard in the pass was Goldy has always had a good attitude, he just never "got it" when it comes to his play away from the puck. This article is trying to paint him as a lockroom cancer who clashes with coaching staff. I don't believe this is the case. I just think Goldobin never understood the importance of a 2-way game and he just think if he could score more he could get away with some of his lapses defensively.