Sign in to follow this  
-Vintage Canuck-

HHOF Class of 2020: Ken Holland, Marian Hossa, Jarome Iginla, Kevin Lowe, Kim St-Pierre, Doug Wilson

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

21 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

 

Yeah, it's kind of weird that Randy Carlyle has a Norris Trophy and Kevin Lowe was never a Norris finalist.  I was a little surprised to see that Lowe did play in seven All-Star Games though.  That was pretty impressive.

 

I never thought I'd see him in the HOF though.  Doug Lidster is a pretty good comparable...and Doug's 63 point season would have been an 80 point season or better in Edmonton, and that would have really left an impression, as the Oilers never really had a second true offensive defenseman to back up Paul Coffey.  It usually went from Coffey with 120 points to someone else (Lowe / Huddy / etc.) with 45 points or so if I remember right.  Much like the Islanders dynasty where Potvin was a clear first ballot HOF'er but few people talk about anyone else from that blueline nowadays.

 

I always said Babych would have been a 100 point defenseman and in the HOF if he had started his career with Edmonton instead of Winnipeg.

Absolutely Babych! They'd be naming streets after him in the Oil. Switch Lowe with Babych and I'm convinced there aren't 7 all star appearances or 6 cups, or any. Kevin Lowe is a circumstantial HOFer. He's a CHOFER!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, IBatch said:

 No arguments there.   What I was trying to say was his importance level (Lowe) to that Edmonton team especially, was on a similar level to Anderson’s,  without Lowe or someone else like him around the net Furh and Moog would have had an even a harder time and have to make even more slot saves.  Lowe was definitely part of that groups core through thick and thin and don’t mind that he’s got the recognition.   Do feel that the bar is creeping lower the past few years though.   It also bugs me a bit that some better players won’t ever get in because of how they value cup rings - especially now with how hard it is with guys who played in 21-30ish team era.   At some point they won’t value that at the same level,  Lowe is probably the last guy who will ever get in with more then 3-4. 
 

Edit:  THN has been beating a drum the past five years or so that the HHOF has relaxed its standards ... first and second team all-star selections, personal hardware and cups used to be weighed higher then they seem to be now ... going from elite super-stars/stars down to the hall of very good.  Rechi and Anderchyuck getting in on longevity  .... Sundin was never a top centre, no individual hardware - did win a gold medal though ... wonder if he didn’t play in TO if he’d get in .... what’s really all that different between him and Turgeon?  Except Turgeon did score 131 points once and over 100 a couple times.   And played in the dead puck era too.  

 

As to Lowe being the last guy we'll ever see inducted with >4 Cups...  Could well be, but the inductions of Carbonneau, Lowe, Wilson and Vachon might open things up for a couple of guys I have in mind.  In the case of Vachon and Wilson, to me that is just finally being willing to look way back in time and right the wrong of not inducting them.  With Carbonneau and Lowe, those are cases of considering new factors (Carbonneau) or allowing a little more wiggle room (Lowe).

 

So I could see Claude Provost (9 Cups) and maybe even Pete Mahovlich (two 100 point seasons, +72 one season and...oh wait, he only had 4 Cups, I thought he had 5).  Well anyway...Claude Provost then.  I also think Lowe does open things up for John Tonelli as well (2nd team All-Star twice).

 

As to Sundin...  He belongs in the Hall but the only reason he was considered an automatic first ballot guy was that he was a Maple Leaf.  To be honest, I'm a little surprised they haven't made any kind of serious push for Vaive with the "Toronto bonus" for careers.  But yeah, I personally have Sundin behind Pierre "the Piestany coward" Turgeon and Andreychuk and probably Recchi too.  To me, even if it's from playing 50 seasons with 30 points, if you get 1500 points you're in there.  Andreychuk captained a team to the Stanley Cup...that's serious stuff that makes up for the areas where Sundin is ahead of him.

 

I think this would be dropping the bar a bit too much, but Esa Tikkanen has perhaps a slightly surprising resume.  Not just the five Cups, but a five-time Selke finalist and three times in the top five for post-season All-Star voting.  Only three Hall-eligible players have more playoff points than him that aren't inducted.  And those three all have a case (Brian Propp, Bobby Smith and Claude Lemieux).

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

 

As to Lowe being the last guy we'll ever see inducted with >4 Cups...  Could well be, but the inductions of Carbonneau, Lowe, Wilson and Vachon might open things up for a couple of guys I have in mind.  In the case of Vachon and Wilson, to me that is just finally being willing to look way back in time and right the wrong of not inducting them.  With Carbonneau and Lowe, those are cases of considering new factors (Carbonneau) or allowing a little more wiggle room (Lowe).

 

So I could see Claude Provost (9 Cups) and maybe even Pete Mahovlich (two 100 point seasons, +72 one season and...oh wait, he only had 4 Cups, I thought he had 5).  Well anyway...Claude Provost then.  I also think Lowe does open things up for John Tonelli as well (2nd team All-Star twice).

 

As to Sundin...  He belongs in the Hall but the only reason he was considered an automatic first ballot guy was that he was a Maple Leaf.  To be honest, I'm a little surprised they haven't made any kind of serious push for Vaive with the "Toronto bonus" for careers.  But yeah, I personally have Sundin behind Pierre "the Piestany coward" Turgeon and Andreychuk and probably Recchi too.  To me, even if it's from playing 50 seasons with 30 points, if you get 1500 points you're in there.  Andreychuk captained a team to the Stanley Cup...that's serious stuff that makes up for the areas where Sundin is ahead of him.

 

I think this would be dropping the bar a bit too much, but Esa Tikkanen has perhaps a slightly surprising resume.  Not just the five Cups, but a five-time Selke finalist and three times in the top five for post-season All-Star voting.  Only three Hall-eligible players have more playoff points than him that aren't inducted.  And those three all have a case (Brian Propp, Bobby Smith and Claude Lemieux).

Carbonneau was a great player for the role he played - think Esa T wasn’t much different though and that’s a very good comparison (with the exception of extra aggravation/pest value).  For awhile it seemed like adding Claude Lemieux or Mike Keane to your team it meant better odds at winning a cup ... didn’t Claude win a conn smythe too?  Tonneli was considered the most complete player in the world by that famous Russian coach that won all the time with the Red Army...and had one outstanding international tournament too.   If Gilles gets in you have to think he’d also be a possibility at some point ... not that I disagree with him getting in I don’t at all I like that other experts at certain things get some due too. 

 

Gainey, Carbonneau types deserve recognition and for that I’m glad.   Only thing different from them and say Peca and even Kesler is they won cups.  And Kesler had some very productive seasons too as a second line guy (so did Tonneli)...
 

I said earlier I’d be fine with seeing Probert getting the call posthumously given how great he was at doing that specific job.   Nobody wanted to fight him  but everyone had to too gain respect.     When your that good at one thing it deserves recognition- the same way Langway managed Norris trophies with 30 odd points when guys were scoring 80-100.  It’s never going to happen but I’d get behind it right away if it did as it would open the door for a couple other guys of the same ilk - and that part of hockey is gone for good now.  Why not celebrate it a little? 
 

Noticed you mention several times if a player had better luck and better teammates that maybe they’d be in the HHOF...truly believe that’s correct.   Crosby, WG, M Lemuiex play at another level where spare parts can be added and they shine or pretty good  players can be made into Stars... they are at another level (same with a few others like Lafontaine, Hawerchuck, Kane but a tier down) .... guys like Anderson lucked out on great teams ... didn’t manage much after the band shut it down.  Justin Williams has a chance too given its either Anderson or him as far as all-time clutch go.  If Babych played on the Oilers he’d have over 1000 points for sure.   
 

Even a guy like Dino Ciccerrali - made the hall anyways but didn’t have the same chances as other playera of his era (except late in his career in Detroit).    Dionne said a few times if MTL drafted him instead of Lafleur he’d have scored 1000 goals ... watching them play an old timers game in the mid-90’s I’d have to agree - was miles ahead of Lafleur even though he was the main draw.  One heck of a player for sure.  Luck definitely comes into play for these guys ... some get in because they win a bunch of cups and are core players - others just as or even better player don’t get in because they spent too much time toiling on mediocre or even bad teams.   Hawerchuk was drafted and WNP went up a record 48 points in standings his rookie year.   What could he have managed playing on the Oilers too?  Several players have to thank him too - Paul McLean probably the most.   He’s easily as skilled as Crosby and McDavid are - but never won anything and played behind the shadow of Gretzky and Lemieux otherwise he’d have won a ton of hardware. 

  • Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Noticed you mention several times if a player had better luck and better teammates that maybe they’d be in the HHOF...truly believe that’s correct.   Crosby, WG, M Lemuiex play at another level where spare parts can be added and they shine or pretty good  players can be made into Stars... they are at another level (same with a few others like Lafontaine, Hawerchuck, Kane but a tier down) .... guys like Anderson lucked out on great teams ... didn’t manage much after the band shut it down.  Justin Williams has a chance too given its either Anderson or him as far as all-time clutch go.  If Babych played on the Oilers he’d have over 1000 points for sure.   

 

Yeah there are some age-appropriate guys (prime ~1980-1992) who had the chops to be Hall of Famers if they ended up on Edmonton instead...

 

Babych

Propp

Reinhart

Smyl, Gradin, Sundstrom, Tanti, Pederson, Skriko

Vaive

Kerr

Reed Larson

Randy Carlyle

Mike Foligno?

Brian Sutter?

Doug Lidster?

Brad McCrimmon?

Barry Beck?

Al Secord?

Troy Murray?

John Ogrodnick?

 

Mike Liut

Don Beaupre

Pete Peeters

 

Just going off the top of my head there...

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

 

Yeah there are some age-appropriate guys (prime ~1980-1992) who had the chops to be Hall of Famers if they ended up on Edmonton instead...

 

Babych

Propp

Reinhart

Smyl, Gradin, Sundstrom, Tanti, Pederson, Skriko

Vaive

Kerr

Reed Larson

Randy Carlyle

Mike Foligno?

Brian Sutter?

Doug Lidster?

Brad McCrimmon?

Barry Beck?

Al Secord?

Troy Murray?

John Ogrodnick?

 

Mike Liut

Don Beaupre

Pete Peeters

 

Just going off the top of my head there...

 

I assumed Carlyle was in already...wow for sure he’d have made it.   Vaive would have easily scored a hundred more goals , same with Kerr.  Bobby Smith ... Just glad that they didn’t have more then 11 all-stars ... Vancouvers record suffered terribly at the hands of EDM and even CAL during the 80’s, those teams were stacked.   Amazing drafts for them 79 to early 80’s.    Wayne Gretzky getting four consecutive 200 point years plus a pile of mid-hundred point seasons pushed the entire teams stats up 20%. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, IBatch said:

I assumed Carlyle was in already...wow for sure he’d have made it.   Vaive would have easily scored a hundred more goals , same with Kerr.  Bobby Smith ... Just glad that they didn’t have more then 11 all-stars ... Vancouvers record suffered terribly at the hands of EDM and even CAL during the 80’s, those teams were stacked.   Amazing drafts for them 79 to early 80’s.    Wayne Gretzky getting four consecutive 200 point years plus a pile of mid-hundred point seasons pushed the entire teams stats up 20%. 

 

Yeah, Carlyle is one of those guys people might assume was just in.  Same with Reggie Leach...it kind of feels like he went in with Steve Shutt for some reason.

 

Or Charlie Simmer / Dave Taylor / Rick Martin.  Kind of feels like more than one player from the French Connection and Triple Crown Line is in there.

 

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Vintage 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Like many have already said, Lowe is in there because he was beneficiary playing on stacked Oilers and Rangers teams. Right place at the right time gave him 6 cups. As stacked as the teams he played for were, he was a minus player 7/19 seasons hard to do being on those high scoring Oiler/Ranger teams. if Kevin is in, when do you make a spot for other defensive defensemen like Willie Mitchell or Adam Foote who have two cups each? Doesn’t hurt that Lowe was good buddy buddy’s with team Canada and the old boys club. The bar has been lowered or there is a massive bias, or both. 

Edited by EP Phone Home

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, EP Phone Home said:

Like many have already said, Lowe is in there because he was beneficiary playing on stacked Oilers and Rangers teams. Right place at the right time gave him 6 cups. As stacked as the teams he played for were, he was a minus player 7/19 seasons hard to do being on those high scoring Oiler/Ranger teams. if Kevin is in, when do you make a spot for other defensive defensemen like Willie Mitchell or Adam Foote who have two cups each? Doesn’t hurt that Lowe was good buddy buddy’s with team Canada and the old boys club. The bar has been lowered or there is a massive bias, or both. 

Having watched him play I wouldn’t say the that it’s a massive bias - other then he’s got enough rings for two hands almost (who wears them on their thumbs anyways).   But would say what you said about Mitchell and Foote has merit - if they managed 4-6 rings maybe they’d be in too.   They aren’t the only players that have been lucky enough to play on great teams that are in the HHOF.   Sometimes it’s just about been at the right place at the right time (see Carbonneau) - the bar was lowered before he got his call already. 
 

Could add Recchi and Andreychuk too...wingers that rarely came close to personal hardware or first or second star all-star selections.   If I had to pick a date and time the bar lowered it would have been Gilles induction.   Right there it went from the Hall of the elite to the Hall of the very good.  Thing is I really don’t have a problem with it.   Longevity, cup rings, expertise at certain things does matter too - not just elite skill.   Gainey never got much more then 40 points a season but could shut down anyone.    Watching Carbonneau in Dallas I remember thinking wow this guys like Gainey... Walter was pretty good at that too... Tonneli was the missing part on the NYI dynasty- at some point won’t be surprised or upset at all if he gets the call.    Think prime Kesler, after Miller the best player on the silver medal team gave everyone opponent and  Canada’s team fits and super dangerous around the net.   Plus Tonneli has a bunch or rings and some other props  ... and as Ovi says cups are cups. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, IBatch said:

If I had to pick a date and time the bar lowered it would have been Gilles induction.   Right there it went from the Hall of the elite to the Hall of the very good.  Thing is I really don’t have a problem with it.   Longevity, cup rings, expertise at certain things does matter too - not just elite skill.   Gainey never got much more then 40 points a season but could shut down anyone.    Watching Carbonneau in Dallas I remember thinking wow this guys like Gainey... Walter was pretty good at that too... Tonneli was the missing part on the NYI dynasty- at some point won’t be surprised or upset at all if he gets the call.    Think prime Kesler, after Miller the best player on the silver medal team gave everyone opponent and  Canada’s team fits and super dangerous around the net.   Plus Tonneli has a bunch or rings and some other props  ... and as Ovi says cups are cups. 

 

When was Gillies...2002.  Gillies is a very high class of player but I guess he's included in the group where you can ask questions about whether to induct him.  But I think the same can be said of Joe Mullen (2000) and Bernie Federko (also 2002).

 

After that, the next guy where you can "ask questions" or make some kind of case not to induct would be Dick Duff (2006) but I think the same could be said of Bob Pulford (1991) which was a very similar induction to Duff and for similar reasons.  And Bill Barber (1990) was fairly Gillies-like in statistics with less Cups.

 

Who are the next players where one can at least ask questions...  Maybe Dino Ciccarelli (2010) or possibly Gilmour or Nieuwendyk (2011).  Sundin (2012) and since then it's been a lot of players of similar caliber or a bit lower.  Which is fine by me...there isn't anyone in the Hall that I don't want honored and that I don't think efforts should be made to have new generations learn about them.

 

I would say that Lowe might be the lowest the bar has been set for any 1970 and beyond players.  But I'm also not necessarily against setting the bar there.  Whereas Carbonneau is the Hall changing things up and finally saying "okay, Selke Trophies count" the induction of Lowe is saying a defenseman doesn't need to ever be a Norris finalist or post-season All-Star or accumulate 800 or 1000 (or even 500) points.  It's (I think) new territory in the modern era for defensemen where Cups can add up, basically like they did for Duff and Pulford, and as we discussed earlier it's a very fine line between Lowe and Huddy (who at least led the league in +/- one year) (or Brad McCrimmon) if that's how things are going to be done.

 

 

 

 

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Vintage 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me lowering the bar is just bad news as it devalues what should be a meaningful acknowlegement (and celebration) of excellence. The only time lowering the bar was good was when I had to make the grade six high jump standard in PE. Thank you Coach Fridge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, zimmy said:

For me lowering the bar is just bad news as it devalues what should be a meaningful acknowlegement (and celebration) of excellence. The only time lowering the bar was good was when I had to make the grade six high jump standard in PE. Thank you Coach Fridge.

 

I guess for me the issue is setting the bar at the right place, even if it means lowering or raising it from somewhere it was before.  I mean, I guess we could say that Denis Savard devalues the Hall of Fame if we want the bar set only at Yzerman and higher.  But if it's set there...what would there be, maybe 40 players in the Hall of Fame?

 

I'll agree that the last 12 years or so have seen the inclusion of some guys that wouldn't have made it in before.  But if the Hall of Fame were just being created now for the first time and I was asked if I want Clark Gillies and Glenn Anderson and Bill Barber and Bernie Federko in it, I would say yes.

 

But I can't say that anyone is wrong for wanting the bar either higher or lower than me.  It's completely a matter of personal taste.

 

I just view it as an incentive to learn about players and their role in history, and so far I haven't seen anyone inducted that doesn't deserve significant study by anyone interested in the history of the game.

  • Vintage 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

 

I guess for me the issue is setting the bar at the right place, even if it means lowering or raising it from somewhere it was before.  I mean, I guess we could say that Denis Savard devalues the Hall of Fame if we want the bar set only at Yzerman and higher.  But if it's set there...what would there be, maybe 40 players in the Hall of Fame?

 

I'll agree that the last 12 years or so have seen the inclusion of some guys that wouldn't have made it in before.  But if the Hall of Fame were just being created now for the first time and I was asked if I want Clark Gillies and Glenn Anderson and Bill Barber and Bernie Federko in it, I would say yes.

 

But I can't say that anyone is wrong for wanting the bar either higher or lower than me.  It's completely a matter of personal taste.

 

I just view it as an incentive to learn about players and their role in history, and so far I haven't seen anyone inducted that doesn't deserve significant study by anyone interested in the history of the game.

If even a tenth of the members in this forum had the same passion for the history of this game you had it would be be a much better place! As a fellow historian I echo your sentiment.

 

My fervent hope is that 40 years from now, when discussing the merits of who should be enshrined in 2060, the name of Kevin Lowe is cited as evidence of lowest rung of HOF recognition. Lowering the bar any further would discredit the institution, in my opinion.

  • Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

 

When was Gillies...2002.  Gillies is a very high class of player but I guess he's included in the group where you can ask questions about whether to induct him.  But I think the same can be said of Joe Mullen (2000) and Bernie Federko (also 2002).

 

After that, the next guy where you can "ask questions" or make some kind of case not to induct would be Dick Duff (2006) but I think the same could be said of Bob Pulford (1991) which was a very similar induction to Duff and for similar reasons.  And Bill Barber (1990) was fairly Gillies-like in statistics with less Cups.

 

Who are the next players where one can at least ask questions...  Maybe Dino Ciccarelli (2010) or possibly Gilmour or Nieuwendyk (2011).  Sundin (2012) and since then it's been a lot of players of similar caliber or a bit lower.  Which is fine by me...there isn't anyone in the Hall that I don't want honored and that I don't think efforts should be made to have new generations learn about them.

 

I would say that Lowe might be the lowest the bar has been set for any 1970 and beyond players.  But I'm also not necessarily against setting the bar there.  Whereas Carbonneau is the Hall changing things up and finally saying "okay, Selke Trophies count" the induction of Lowe is saying a defenseman doesn't need to ever be a Norris finalist or post-season All-Star or accumulate 800 or 1000 (or even 500) points.  It's (I think) new territory in the modern era for defensemen where Cups can add up, basically like they did for Duff and Pulford, and as we discussed earlier it's a very fine line between Lowe and Huddy (who at least led the league in +/- one year) (or Brad McCrimmon) if that's how things are going to be done.

 

 

 

 


Yep and I remember both Federko and Gillies inductions been questioned by some at the time (THN in particular has a button on keeping the bar as high as possible).  I’m with you though - think that all these guys did something special in their own way - and look forward to looking at their pictures and reading what they have to say about them next time I go there (past five-six year inductees especially).    No low hanging fruit left from the 80-2005 players left ... still some out there though (Mogilny, Nichols, Turgeon, Fluery, and maybe Roenick - plus Barasso, Osgood and Vernon that deserve consideration) - until the current crop of guys like Thornton, Keith,  Sedins etc start to age I’m expecting a few more years like we’ve had where guys who’ve waited awhile get the call finally.

 

 

Edit:  One thing Lowe never did better then Huddy was grow a moustache.   

 

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, IBatch said:


Yep and I remember both Federko and Gillies inductions been questioned by some at the time (THN in particular has a button on keeping the bar as high as possible).  I’m with you though - think that all these guys did something special in their own way - and look forward to looking at their pictures and reading what they have to say about them next time I go there (past five-six year inductees especially).    No low hanging fruit left from the 80-2005 players left ... still some out there though (Mogilny, Nichols, Turgeon, Fluery, and maybe Roenick - plus Barasso, Osgood and Vernon that deserve consideration) - until the current crop of guys like Thornton, Keith,  Sedins etc start to age I’m expecting a few more years like we’ve had where guys who’ve waited awhile get the call finally.

 

 

Edit:  One thing Lowe never did better then Huddy was grow a moustache.   

 

Does Huddy make the Facial Hair HOF? We know Babych is a first ballot inductee and that Kevin Lowe doesn't have a prayer.

  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, zimmy said:

Does Huddy make the Facial Hair HOF? We know Babych is a first ballot inductee and that Kevin Lowe doesn't have a prayer.

 

He was pretty much an honorary Babych.

 

Lowe was definitely no Cowboy Bill Flett.

 

flett741.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, zimmy said:

Does Huddy make the Facial Hair HOF? We know Babych is a first ballot inductee and that Kevin Lowe doesn't have a prayer.

Given Lanny has the most iconic moustache in hockey - you’d think he’d be a little more lenient with his brethren...have a 1982 sticker book from when I was a kid with Babych pretty much looking like a king .... was hoping to be able to flex one like that ... had an uncle that actually make them look like Crosby.   Didn’t get the genes - probably a good thing given the 70’s were a long time ago ha ha .

  • Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Given Lanny has the most iconic moustache in hockey - you’d think he’d be a little more lenient with his brethren...have a 1982 sticker book from when I was a kid with Babych pretty much looking like a king .... was hoping to be able to flex one like that ... had an uncle that actually make them look like Crosby.   Didn’t get the genes - probably a good thing given the 70’s were a long time ago ha ha .

 

Yeah I think I mentioned it earlier but Babych would just quit with the playoff beard after a week or so and just go with the mustache.  I don't know if it was the wind drag or just out of modesty, but the guy basically had a legit beard by game four or five.

 

This is Dave after forgetting to shave for one day in the middle of the season.

 

42cc60bb93aa45718c755102b842f86c_front.j

 

 

 

Paul Coffey was actually a decent dark horse candidate when he decided it was time to throw down.

 

1984oilerscup.jpg?quality=100&strip=all&

 

Those defensemen don't play around when it comes to this kind of thing.

  • Vintage 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

 

He was pretty much an honorary Babych.

 

Lowe was definitely no Cowboy Bill Flett.

 

flett741.jpg

This is the face you see on the plaque at the front of the FHHOF! This guy has to be the originator. Of course inside the hall there would have to be a bronze statue of Eddie Shack twirling his handlebar moustache.

  • Vintage 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kevin Biestra said:

 

Yeah I think I mentioned it earlier but Babych would just quit with the playoff beard after a week or so and just go with the mustache.  I don't know if it was the wind drag or just out of modesty, but the guy basically had a legit beard by game four or five.

 

This is Dave after forgetting to shave for one day in the middle of the season.

 

42cc60bb93aa45718c755102b842f86c_front.j

 

 

 

Paul Coffey was actually a decent dark horse candidate when he decided it was time to throw down.

 

1984oilerscup.jpg?quality=100&strip=all&

 

Those defensemen don't play around when it comes to this kind of thing.

You bet.  Coffey is a hair ball too.   Playoff beards are a cool tradition - hope that the next generations keep it up ... love the rookies doing their best Jonny Depp whisker baby face impressions - and later on growing legit ones if given the chance. 

  • Vintage 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, zimmy said:

This is the face you see on the plaque at the front of the FHHOF! This guy has to be the originator. Of course inside the hall there would have to be a bronze statue of Eddie Shack twirling his handlebar moustache.

Recent epic beards - Phil Kessel grew a pretty great one - before him Mike Commodore treated fans to a full ginger beard with a crazy hair do to match...Clark Gillies might be the grandfather of all of this given it was the NYI dynasty that started all of this and his were fearsome... best one ever is probably Lanny McDonalds in 89...

 

Hope Shea Weber makes it to game six or seven of the final one day - his beards are final worthy and he’s never made it to the third round.  

 

Edit:  Gudas, Holtby, Burns and Thornton types don’t count - need to start from scratch and earn  those 

 

image.gif

Edited by IBatch
  • Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.