Sign in to follow this  
wildcam

Coach Green

Rate this topic

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, HockeyHarry said:

at first i wasn't a Coach Green fan, but he's proven me wrong. he's doing a fine job. Glad to hear he lost weight , its saying the Team better be in Battle shape this Summer.

Go Canucks Go

I can see the conversation now:

Our coach won the Jack Adams.

Pffffffttttt, our coach lost weight.

Edited by Dumb Nuck

13 hours ago, Chickenspear said:
Team Year Regular season Postseason
G W L OTL Pts Finish W L Win % Result
VAN 2017–18 82 31 40 11 73 7th in Pacific Missed playoffs
VAN 2018–19 82 35 36 11 81 5th in Pacific Missed playoffs
VAN 2019–20 69 36 27 6 78 4th in Pacific TBD
Total 233 102 103 28      

Records contradict your spin on this. Rookie coach with a rebuilding team, can't expect a 60%+ win rate from the get go. Improvement every year is what I see.

Great post for that fan that thinks Green is not a good coach? A coach can only do so much if he doesn't have any taler? 

So 1st year, Sedin x2 - Kesler, Burrows, ...Coach Green has now got talented players to work with. 78 points in only 69 games ..

Thanks Benning for getting this team turned in the right direction, need to add a top #2 D MAN UNDER 27 and look out.

The team plays a exciting fast paced game and have shown then can score goals 8th in league with several games coming back being 2 goals down in the third period..

Go Canucks Go...

• Hydration 1

6 hours ago, wildcam said:

Great post for that fan that thinks Green is not a good coach? A coach can only do so much if he doesn't have any taler? 

So 1st year, Sedin x2 - Kesler, Burrows, ...Coach Green has now got talented players to work with. 78 points in only 69 games ..

Thanks Benning for getting this team turned in the right direction, need to add a top #2 D MAN UNDER 27 and look out.

The team plays a exciting fast paced game and have shown then can score goals 8th in league with several games coming back being 2 goals down in the third period..

Go Canucks Go...

Don’t make fun of his height ... short coaches can win too just look at the best ever ha ha. 

The goals increase was truly refreshing this year ... a huge turn around, at one point we were on pace to surpass all but one of the Sedin years...

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, wildcam said:

Go Canucks Go...

Actually, Kes and Burr had left under Tortz and WD. The 17-18 season was that wonderful year where we had Chaput and Megna as our "talent" behind the Sedins, Boeser, Baertschi, Bo, and Vanek. Those were painful days. Take a look at this lineup... not even Edmonton would be envious.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/canucks/cap-tracker/2018

Coaches grow and learn just the same as players, not "what you see now is what you get forever", some people just don't have patience, and expect the results straight away, which bugs the hell out of me.

Edited by Chickenspear

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Chickenspear said:

Actually, Kes and Burr had left under Tortz and WD. The 17-18 season was that wonderful year where we had Chaput and Megna as our "talent" behind the Sedins, Boeser, Baertschi, Bo, and Vanek. Those were painful days. Take a look at this lineup... not even Edmonton would be envious.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/canucks/cap-tracker/2018

Coaches grow and learn just the same as players, not "what you see now is what you get forever", some people just don't have patience, and expect the results straight away, which bugs the hell out of me.

I agree they figure they get a new coach and team will turn around?? Impossible

I really like the way the Canucks have turned this team around..So many talented players under 25 and lots of good prospect now..

Future is very exciting....

Edited by wildcam
  • Hydration 1

On 6/26/2020 at 1:45 PM, Fanuck said:

This shouldn't be an issue - players should absolutely be in shape and the coaching staff should not have to 'hope' they come prepared.   For how much they are compensated, and how much the franchise invests in them they should be required to maintain certain fitness levels - yes, I understand things are different wt covid, and nobody is expecting 'game shape' but Green should know his guys are in shape, not hope they are. 

Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now.  Enjoy the weekend everyone. 

Clearly you haven't paid attention to the last few training camps then. Yes, most guys should be in shape, but there are a select few...*cough* JV *cough*...that constantly show up to camps out of shape. It's Green's job to keep them in line and he has a right to be demanding.

Wasn’t sure where to post this, so bumped the most recent Travis Green thread I could find.

Great article by Harman Dayal in The Athletic details Green’s use of analytics:

https://theathletic.com/1983610/2020/08/10/how-analytics-helped-lead-travis-green-and-the-canucks-back-to-the-playoffs/

It’s probably behind a paywall for most CDCers, but I’ll quote a few excerpts here:

When Green was first introduced to analytics and some of the en vogue concepts like “shot attempt differential” and “zone exits”, his first thought was: “That’s familiar.”

“Man, it feels like I’ve been using analytics in some way shape or form forever,” Green told The Athletic in March.

“It was probably four or five years ago (in Utica) where somebody was talking about breakouts and entries and escaping your own zone, zone denials and one of my assistant coaches was like, ‘this is exactly what you’ve been harping on for years and now analytics people are talking about it in these terms.’

Before he arrived in the NHL, as early as he can remember, Green and his coaching staff would do their own “analytical game review.” It was pretty simple but evolved to become a crucial tool in Utica, where Green coached the Comets.

Green’s video coach would be responsible for manually tracking events like productive touches with the puck, shot attempts, turnovers, passes and so much more. Each player would be awarded points for positive actions like a shot and would have those same points subtracted for negative event plays like a giveaway. At the end of the night, each player would have a score next to their name which was used as part of the coaching staff’s evaluation.

There are different ways Green uses analytics and its application really depends on the time of the year. In the offseason, the club conducts a thorough analytics deep dive where it can consider systems changes (more on that later). On a day-to-day basis, it’s part of the coaching staff’s analysis for line matching, deployment and lineup decisions.

After every game, the Canucks coaching staff gets a statistical review from the analytics department. Green looks at areas such as each player’s on-ice goals for and against, shot attempts for and against as well as individual microstats like offensive zone entries, zone entry denials for defencemen, breakout numbers and more. Green also has access to a proprietary, in-house version of an expected goals model.

Analytics has become a crucial part of evaluating line matching decisions. After every period, Green gets a Corsi (on-ice shot attempts) report sent down to the locker room so he can examine how well each line and defence pair is controlling play. Based on what he sees in the data, Green often makes in-game adjustments to his matchups.

Every summer Green collaborates with his analytics department to do an exhaustive deep dive on every facet of the club’s play, keying in on areas to improve.

“Our analytical team puts together a huge package and then I go through it, look at all parts of it and (I) already have an idea of what areas we need to get better and validate it,” said Green. “I’ll go back to them and maybe we were really good at entries, but we didn’t get anything out of it and we ask ourselves ‘How are we going to get better at that?’

On 6/29/2020 at 12:37 PM, VancouveriteinSanDiego2 said:

Only thing Green needs to work on is his pregame/postgame interview, if he was half.as entertaining as AV that would be awesome

AVs best TV was laughing at that guy making fun of Bieksa.   TG f!ck Yeah is already a comparable moment.   He’s a conservative dude - give him some time and I’m sure he will tittalate us more then putting his middle finger on his forehead during stupid questions.    And he’s lost some weight so we can see his chin... almost