The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Salary cap could remain around the current 81.5 million for the next 3 seasons.

Rate this topic

14 minutes ago, brian42 said:

Would you guys trade Demko and Eriksson 

for a 7th round pick in order to free up cap space?

it would suck to lose Demko but it would give the Canucks more cap space to attempt to sign Markstrom, Toffoli and Tanev this year as well as Petterson and Hughes next year. 

I would do it because it also solves the problem of only being able to protect 1 of Markstrom and Demko in the expansion draft.

markstrom has been great for 1.5 years and we also have mike dipietro as a solid G prospect. 

Can't trade Demko until Markstrom is re-signed; not sure I'd trade Demko even then. 

Demko is younger and would be cheaper, at least for a few years.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, brian42 said:

Would you guys trade Demko and Eriksson 

for a 7th round pick in order to free up cap space?

it would suck to lose Demko but it would give the Canucks more cap space to attempt to sign Markstrom, Toffoli and Tanev this year as well as Petterson and Hughes next year. 

I would do it because it also solves the problem of only being able to protect 1 of Markstrom and Demko in the expansion draft.

markstrom has been great for 1.5 years and we also have mike dipietro as a solid G prospect. 

No, that will be a horrible idea. Demko is on the verge of becoming a starter. He reminds me of Markstrom before Markstrom become who he is today. Tbh, Canucks defense is an adventure this season and we gave up way too many quality shots against, if we have just decent defensive system and limit the high quality chances against, Demko's stats would have looked a lot better.

Fear not everyone @aGENT and other benning pets have used there superior understanding of the cap  and assured us that we can sign everyone And there is actually no cap issues for Vancouver. Even with turds like sutter Eriksson And bear on the books 
:picard:

looking forward to seeing Virtanen toffoli markstrom tanev and ALL the RFAs Easily resigned. 
:towel:

4 hours ago, Mackcanuck said:

A more positive read here,

Some good points are made out of an unforeseen poor situation

Why the flat salary cap is actually good for the Canucks

https://canucksarmy.com/2020/07/08/why-the-flat-cap-is-actually-good-for-the-canucks/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Interesting read but the premise is based on GMJB tearing up his free agent credit card for a number of years.

I'm hoping this happens but still not holding my breath.

Gotta think Toffoli is the number 1 priority to resign.

We have Demko and DiPietro if Markstrom walks. Plus there is a ton of decent veteran goalies available this fall

Tanev is important but we finally are starting to build up some depth on D if Rathbone and Tryamkin sign. Plus guys like Brisebois and Sautner to fill some holes.

I don’t think we have a top 6 forward waiting in the wings however.

Edited by DeNiro

1 hour ago, Tracksuit said:

Fear not everyone @aGENT and other benning pets have used there superior understanding of the cap  and assured us that we can sign everyone And there is actually no cap issues for Vancouver. Even with turds like sutter Eriksson And bear on the books 
:picard:

looking forward to seeing Virtanen toffoli markstrom tanev and ALL the RFAs Easily resigned. 
:towel:

Baer is likely getting bought out (or off chance of 50% retention) IMO, so no, he's not particularly an issue.

And yes, we have moves we'll need to make to retain the 'big three' this summer but if they want to be here and sign deflated contracts in a deflated market, there's very little issue in making it all work, should we choose to do so. 

The sky is not, in fact, falling Chicken Little.

Hayes..JVR

Skinner & Oksposo

Bobrovsky

TML drunken sailor-mode

Desert Dawgs deals(& some recent draft-gaffes)

EKarlsson deal(& contract)..Vlasic, Jones, etc...

Pageau swap & signing. Look closely at NYI's cap scenario

Could go on & on..throughout the league, there are countless, poor 4-6 mill(ish) contracts..plenty with lots of term to suffer through.

At least most of our onerous(& odorous) hits are off books soon. Can only shudder to contemplate what would be said about JB, had he penned some of the above deals.

There has been a fairly strident initiative from assorted Haterz to get JB kiboshed. It has been dbled, tripled, quadrupled(etc...) down on, to a degree usually the reserve of religious fanaticism. Such folks are too far gone to honestly acknowledge the errors of their predictive-past.

Perhaps this uncorked haterz poison has a sobering effect, just from a glance. Think they've reeled in the spending, & are improving with contractual numbers/terms. Maybe some of our young stars will magnanimously accept reasonable deals, (with consideration of the classless vitriol that's been slung at JB)?

I'd really like to see them keep this cast intact(namely signing JM & TT; big Nik too), & I'm optimistic JB will swing it.

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Gotta think Toffoli is the number 1 priority to resign.

We have Demko and DiPietro if Markstrom walks. Plus there is a ton of decent veteran goalies available this fall

Tanev is important but we finally are starting to build up some depth on D if Rathbone and Tryamkin sign. Plus guys like Brisebois and Sautner to fill some holes.

I don’t think we have a top 6 forward waiting in the wings however.

Podkolzin, Hoglander, Lind? Even Jake potentially? IMO wing is where we are deepest and it's the easiest position to fill. We are pretty set at center, but could work on depth. Our offense was inconsistent, but we had proven we could score with the best of them even before Toffoli had arrived. He would be a luxury add IMO if we could fit him in.

Rathbone, Brisebois, Sautner are all LD and Tryamkin is a left handed RD. There is literally no one ready to take on the hard minutes that Tanev would leave us with (although I am hopeful for Tryamkin in time). We can be optimistic with Woo and Rafferty, but then that's no different than the winger prospects that I've listed in hopes that they pan out. Rafferty won't be getting the offensive opportunities he got in Utica and his defense was what has been in question and Woo is likely a couple of years away. Unless we have a trade in the works for a quality RD (ahem Risto), I'd argue that Tanev should be a top priority. The UFA market doesn't look very good either to replace him and top 4 RD has been a tough position for us to fill.

Markstrom was the clear #1 goalie this year. Demko had a good stretch, but to put all the eggs in that basket is tough at this point and could set us way back if it doesn't pan out. Most likely we could sign a vet backup like Griess for around 4 million and split games with Demko. But this is an important position and we have a guy who's at the top of his game right now and relatively cheap (assuming he was around 5.5-6 million a season) compared to many other starters and he wants to be here. I think it's important to retain Markstrom, but there are backup plans that can be made.