The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Van & Ottawa (1st OA-proposal)

If we win the top pick, send it to the Sens. We add in to pkg about 15 mill of vet players. They add better ones(younger) about  6 or 7 mill's worth.

- With ED soon, more guys we wouldn't have to protect(if they're ELC, like Brannstrom, or perhaps Norris?)

- Be able to sign our key UFA's, by opening 10 mill of space

- The top pick is often not the best pick(as EP & QH have illustrated) Thus...

Van: Baer, Sutter, Ferland, Benn, Stecher, #1 OA pick

OTT: Colin White, Brannstrom, Chlapik, #5 OA pick, # 50-ish OA pick

^ These names aren't ultra-important. Mostly the notion of acquiring more youth/dumping cap, & sliding back 4 spots(still likely landing a gem).

I don't know how good this Laf kid is, so I raise such an angle for open discussion/analysis & insights...

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, luckylager said:

Too many pieces, NFA.

It's required for such a notion to float. Ott only has about 10 guys signed ferGawdsakes..they could use vets(on expiring deals), & give their flashy kids a bit more ripening on the branch.

The allure of holding the #1 & #3 picks would be pretty powerful. Cheapskate-Melnyk HAS to crawl along the cap floor anyways, & they'd probably sell/convince Ferland to stay home(for insurance coverage & empty AAV)

• Cheers 1

Another aspect is you could sell this above^notion to 4 or 5 teams(namely Ott, Mtl, NJ & Det) who are all rebuilding & have a surplus of cap space.Not many teams have significant cap space now..so it's becoming more valuable by the day.

3 or 4 interested buyers could drive a price pretty high. This would be a cool position to be in.

19 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Another aspect is you could sell this above^notion to 4 or 5 teams(namely Ott, Mtl, NJ & Det) who are all rebuilding & have a surplus of cap space.Not many teams have significant cap space now..so it's becoming more valuable by the day.

3 or 4 interested buyers could drive a price pretty high. This would be a cool position to be in.

We can only dream about scenarios playing out in a classic "there's always next year" Canucks fan mind set.

IF we happen to lose to Minny (doubtful) and then win the draft lottery (infinitely more doubtful) we better not be trading that pick away for anything. Dumping cap just isnt worth it without getting a young superstar in the deal.

I was merely suggesting a realistic trade. Not one that I'd actually make. Open to Ott adding.

I see where you're coming from in regards to your analysis of the market. It's a good point.

Chabot is &^@#ing awesome. If we traded that pick to Ott and Chabot wasn't a piece coming our way - I'd be wicked super pissed. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, luckylager said:

We can only dream about scenarios playing out in a classic "there's always next year" Canucks fan mind set.

IF we happen to lose to Minny (doubtful) and then win the draft lottery (infinitely more doubtful) we better not be trading that pick away for anything. Dumping cap just isnt worth it without getting a young superstar in the deal.

I was merely suggesting a realistic trade. Not one that I'd actually make. Open to Ott adding.

I see where you're coming from in regards to your analysis of the market. It's a good point.

Chabot is &^@#ing awesome. If we traded that pick to Ott and Chabot wasn't a piece coming our way - I'd be wicked super pissed. 

Wanted to throw an alternative-idea out there. As mentioned, haven't seen any of these kids play. With recent yrs, just can't say which pick(say, of the top 8 or 10) will be the cat's meow, & stand above all the class. Fortunately, we've chosen pretty damn well a few times lately.

That leaves me optimistic!

LE, Beagle, Roussel, Sutter, and Myers - essentially everyone with a contract that would help us greatly if it were moved, all have a NTC or M-NTC and I'm thinking Ottawa is one of the first places on the list of teams they cannot be traded to.  So there's that issue.....

10 hours ago, luckylager said:

Too many pieces, NFA.

Also, we're gonna kick the crap outta Minny which means we won't have to bitch about league corruption and a rigged lottery system.

All that said, I'd like to play along.

1st OA + Eriksson

For

Chabot

Sans would say no to that package.

11 hours ago, luckylager said:

Too many pieces, NFA.

Also, we're gonna kick the crap outta Minny which means we won't have to bitch about league corruption and a rigged lottery system.

All that said, I'd like to play along.

1st OA + Eriksson

For

Chabot

Chabot's signed for $8 million per * 8 years... if we did this or got him back in any way without shipping any vets we're driving even more young pieces to the airport.  With flat cap and Pete/ Quinn to re-sign we'd be looking at nearly $30 million for 3 guys, plus whoever we retain and the current critical mass.  Goodbye depth, goodbye window.

Also regarding the 1st overall pick and vets with NTC's, I wonder if, in a quick revamp, certain vets would be intrigued by the potential of playing on a team on the upswing and would be willing to move (can cite whatever family ties certain players may have to certain areas, or emerging cores like NJ with Hischier/ Lafreniere (if we trade the 1st)/ Hughes/ Blackwood...). 

I definitely don't see so many pieces moving but (e.g. with Ott, 1st + one or 2 vets, for 5th, Colin White, maybe a decent prospect e.g. Bernard-Docker).  It's not CRAZY but rarely ever done in the modern league.    

Edited by Phil_314
  • Cheers 1

Again, I was proposing value. Basically the cap relief isn't worth moving "1oa" unless a truly elite player is coming back AND you ditch 6m tied up on Loui.

Big picture, in a scenario where we have that 1 OA, we're way to better off to keep it.

@Phil_314

Edited by luckylager

1 hour ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

Van trade 1st OA, Ericksson, demko

Ottawa trades: #3, 5, Chabot 

lol... Ottawa would never make that trade..Great deal for Vancouver..

This is a very good draft..3nd overall pick and 5th overall with fast forward there rebuild.. Ottawa will draft 2 very good players, future top 5 player for there team.

Ottawa will not trade Chabot  and 3rd  for(  Demko and 1st overall) Erickson van would have to make that attractive?Nobody wants Erickson?

Chabot 22 is a super star...SO impossible trade..

I'm sorry, but some of you are dreaming if you think we can do some of these trades,

Chabot is a great young defense man and we could honestly use his abilities on our blue-line but Ottawa is not going to just give him to us.When you make up some of these trades think of whether Vancouver would do a trade similar to your and how much benefit the other trading partners would receive in making such a trade.

In a trade it has to be beneficial for both sides not just the Canucks.

Here is it what I think if we land the first overall

To Sens 1OA, Ericksson,Demko & Boeser

To Van 3rd,5th & Chabot

if that does not work take out Chabot & Boeser 

Then trade 

To NJ Boeser 

To Van Severson 

Edited by WCE

22 minutes ago, WCE said:

Here is it what I think if we land the first overall

To Sens 1OA, Ericksson,Demko & Boeser

To Van 3rd,5th & Chabot

if that does not work take out Chabot & Boeser 

Then trade 

To NJ Boeser 

To Van Severson 

Take out Boeser, Ericksson, Chabot and Demko and then you’ve got it.  Doubt Ottawa does it. But any notion of dumping Eriksson in the deal is pure fantasy 

It's curious to me that I haven't really seen more fans contemplating(wishing/hoping) for something like this above angle.

- feel we have enough top, young talent(esp fwds). We mostly need to fit this jigsaw together.

- Too many top stars & the cap-restrictions leave an unbalanced team anyways

By dumping around 10 mill of hit, we could aggressively shape a roster towards contender-status, perhaps 1 or 2 seasons earlier. Excessive/superfluous bottom-6 contracts are currently strangling this team like a tangled umbilical cord.