EP40.

Why I don't want the Canucks winning the Cup this year

Rate this topic

Considering the circumstances, would you rather the Canucks win the Cup?  

153 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

*Disclaimer: this coming from a season ticket holder if it holds any more/less merit.*

So with hockey soon to resume, I've been thinking this and would like to hear people's opinions on this. Bottom line for me: it wouldn't be right for the Canucks (or any team as a matter of fact that hasn't already won a Cup or even in a long drought) to win this season as COVID has changed everything.

To put into perspective, there's a long time running joke in the English Premier League that Liverpool would never win the League. They hadn't won once in 3 decades. People would say the world would end if they ever did, lo and behold, it literally got to that point. After 30 years they finally dominated this season & were easily pacing to win the EPL. 2 games away from clinching their 1st ever title, COVID suspended the season. The league resumed a couple weeks ago and they just clinched the title the other day. No fans in stadiums. No bus parade. No same atmosphere. No same memories as every other previous winners. Just very very awkward. If it wasn't for COVID, it'd be a very different story (partying/celebrating like never seen before) but that's obviously not the case.

...is this something you'd be okay with as a hockey fan with a similar team that has never won before/long drought if they were to win?

Try imagining this,

but crickets in the stands as Pietrangelo/Bo lifts the Cup for the 1st time in Blues/Canucks franchise history.

It's a very harsh reality those first time teams would have to live with for the rest of eternity. Sure the players will celebrate and won't let down one bit while playing but the circumstances undoubtedly have changed in the grand scheme of things. It just wouldn't be the same. Bitter-sweet would be the best way to put it.

So as an avid Canucks supporter myself, I have to ultimately say I'd rather we not hypothetically win this season for the sake of reasons mentioned above. What are your thoughts on this?

• Confused 1
  • Vintage 1

I would never wish not winning. There might not be a parade anytime soon, and some may suggest an * next to the team in the record books, but that shouldn't matter. If Vegas, for example, wins the Cup, no one is going to blame them for winning a non-traditional Stanley Cup. They will be celebrated. This could be a once in a lifetime tournament, unlike any other Stanley Cup tournament before it. Winning it could be very special.

This year, if playoffs happen, it might end up being the toughest Cup run yet. Every team is on level ground and healthy. I think the only teams that may get ribbing if they win are TOR, VAN and EDM, but that ribbing comes from other Canadians. I'm not sure many Americans give a rat's a** about new formats in ICE HOCKEY lol But, Canadians live and breathe hockey and straying from tradition comes with a lot of criticizing. So what, let's get a banner in the rafters.  

• Upvote 4

16 minutes ago, Rubik said:

i always felt the same about winning the cup on the road, so i don't think it would be that big of a deal.

Not the same thing at all though. Winning home/away with fans from either side in building makes it what it is imo

This one might have an asterisk anyway, if one of the "play-in" teams win, 'cos they will need to win 5 rounds.

I think it would be awesome if Canucks win, empty building in Vegas (or wherever) or not.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, BowtieCanuck said:

No one has ever explained why it wouldn't be a legit cup win, even though it was almost the end of the season when play stopped and a play-in team would have to win more games than any team has since 1926 to win the cup.

Unless Covid-19 totally ravages a top seed, I agree, the cup should be considered legit.

• Like 1

With the number of teams in the league now, on average each team will win the cup only a few times each century. But it's not going to be a consistent once every 32 years because when a team gets good enough to win a cup, they often win more than once in a short period of time.

Which lengthens the time all the other teams wait. It is easily possible now to go an entire lifetime without winning a cup, so I will take it any way we can get it. As far as the fans in the stands go, well I wouldn't likely be one of them anyways, nor would I be at the parade, and I would enjoy watching the team win the cup just as much as I would if the situation was more normal.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I'll still get drunk as hell, and wake up dressed with one shoe and a Canucks jersey in Stanley CUP Park. 

• Hydration 3