The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why I don't want the Canucks winning the Cup this year

Rate this topic

EP40.

Considering the circumstances, would you rather the Canucks win the Cup?  

176 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Given the changes, there were will be some people saying this year doesn’t count, no matter which team wins the cup.

That will only be true if a team is playing without guys because of the virus, and even then it’s not that big of a deal unless it’s a key player or more then one.   I wish some fans would spend some time and see what the actual players are saying about this - they believe (some) that it will be the hardest cup to win in the history of the NHL.  All teams are back to full strength - but half of them will have to win 19 games to win the cup.  No home building to give you a boost, all the games will feel like road games for most teams.    I’m going with that viewpoint.   No asterisk required unless you want to add how much harder it was to win under the circumstances....

• Cheers 2

40 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I don't see how people can accept two 48 game seasons and 4 rounds as legit Cups and then discredit what will be ~70 games + 5 rounds for a Cup.

Way back when it seemed at the time like the 1995 Cup would be tainted but that notion went away quickly.  Nobody really even brought it up again in 2013.

Chicago won it after dominating the season and it being sandwiched in the middle of two other cups. I think if a team won it for the first and only time that year you'd definitely hear a lot more people complaining about asterisks. I cant speak to New Jersey because I wasn't alive then, but it kicked off several more cup wins with that core. 

I imagine if the Canucks won it this year and then fell off a cliff again you'd hear nonstop chirping about how it took a plague for Vancouver to win. But if Vancouver won another cup or two down the line it would go away.

4 minutes ago, Bitter Melon said:

Chicago won it after dominating the season and it being sandwiched in the middle of two other cups. I think if a team won it for the first and only time that year you'd definitely hear a lot more people complaining about asterisks. I cant speak to New Jersey because I wasn't alive then, but it kicked off several more cup wins with that core. 

I imagine if the Canucks won it this year and then fell off a cliff again you'd hear nonstop chirping about how it took a plague for Vancouver to win. But if Vancouver won another cup or two down the line it would go away.

If the two times there has been an asterisk, that win was validated by quasi-dynasties surrounding it, doesn't that support the legitimacy of the Cup...  If such things are even to be considered at all.

• Vintage 1

31 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

I'm sorry this entire thing is ridiculous.

Let's worry about the Wild first. I'll start worrying about an asterisk at the parade which likely won't happen.

What’s ridiculous is the title.   Why would anyone consider no cup better then any cup no matter what’s happened outside of hockey.   It’s NHL hockey and winning the cup is the entire point.   Only time in history that a team might have to play 5 + 28 = 33 games to win it all.  Doubt it will ever be harder under the circumstances...for two plus months playing every second night like it’s a road game without seeing most of your family/friends, infront of no fans and only a select few people outside of hockey to get a causal chat with in the flesh (driver? hotel staff (limited) ...).    Why would anyone seriously want to wait another possible 50 years... or maybe longer who knows.    This whole “asterisk” thing is complete BS.  Might as well say the 40-60’s MTL, TO and DET dynasties were BS too, they didn’t play many regular season games and the current format was still years away.  And before expansion every team would be considered contenders by today’s standards...we have at least 3 in each conference at any given time right? 

• Vintage 1

This Cup could be the first in a new NHL where the season starts later and finishes later as well. Many Canadian fans will hate it, but it will be better for the game in the States where they've been focusing on since they installed Betteman. Because of the potential change in the season, this could be one of the most memorable Cups in a long time; from a historical perspective. I'm going to watch as much as I can regardless of the Canucks level of success.

Go Canucks Go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Lazurus said:

The Canucks don't have a chance at the cup this year or the next 3 either, mostly because there is no internal control of spending or any apparent view of the future. Nothing done here, no moves trades or signings show any indication of a plan that extends beyond the "now". eg; Markstrom or Demko? One is for looking good for the now and the other for the future, but only one can be kept because in the future there is an expansion draft and Demko is a west coast kid, pretty much acknowledged as a premier prospect and likely the best player exposed by the Canucks, he would have major trade value at the minimum for Seattle, not for the Canucks though because all teams would know the Canucks HAVE to trade him or get nothing, this doesn't take a 160 IQ to figure out. Keeping Markstrom also limits the cap spending for the next 5+ years. That is just one aspect of next year.

Keeping your highest ranked non-protected player isn't nothing.   If allowing Seattle to grab Demko let's us retain, say, Gaudette or Virtanen,  would a trade get us a better player/prospect?

43 minutes ago, IBatch said:

What’s ridiculous is the title.   Why would anyone consider no cup better then any cup no matter what’s happened outside of hockey.   It’s NHL hockey and winning the cup is the entire point.   Only time in history that a team might have to play 5 + 28 = 33 games to win it all.  Doubt it will ever be harder under the circumstances...for two plus months playing every second night like it’s a road game without seeing most of your family/friends, infront of no fans and only a select few people outside of hockey to get a causal chat with in the flesh (driver? hotel staff (limited) ...).    Why would anyone seriously want to wait another possible 50 years... or maybe longer who knows.    This whole “asterisk” thing is complete BS.  Might as well say the 40-60’s MTL, TO and DET dynasties were BS too, they didn’t play many regular season games and the current format was still years away.  And before expansion every team would be considered contenders by today’s standards...we have at least 3 in each conference at any given time right? 

Heck, I’d settle for ONE cup even if it meant lottery picks for the next TWENTY years.:lol:

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Bitter Melon said:

Doubt even that would happen.   The players have said several times that winning this cup might the hardest one in the entire history of the league.  The rhetoric around this meaning this is in anyway a lesser accomplishment is pre-mature at the very least...think once the puck drops this will become one of the more interesting playoffs - and whoever wins it will be proper champs.  Even if it happens to be us.  

3 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I don't see how people can accept two 48 game seasons and 4 rounds as legit Cups and then discredit what will be ~70 games + 5 rounds for a Cup.

Way back when it seemed at the time like the 1995 Cup would be tainted but that notion went away quickly.  Nobody really even brought it up again in 2013.

Two things. First off, I do see cups from lockout shortened seasons as having an asterisk next to them. Secondly, there's far more to it than simply the number of games played. The time off, the fact that not everyone has had access to ice during quarantine, the fact some players won't be participating, the fact that there are no crowds. And if someone playing tests positive, god knows how that's going to affect things. There are so many weird circumstances at play here that I just can't see this cup as anything resembling legitimate.

If you do, then great. More power to you. But as far as I'm concerned, this cup is tainted. 

How is this a question?  Do I want my favorite team (that I have cheered for since the 80’s) to win the Stanley Cup?  Of course I do. Would I prefer that Covid 19 not alter everything in life including the NHL playoffs...of course I do. I’ll ask another question, would I like to work hard and earn a million dollars, yep. This does not mean that I would refuse a million dollars because I didn’t work as hard or deserve it as much. This year (if it goes ahead) will give teams challenges never before faced. Coaches have weeks to prepare for the teams being faced for the play in. Players will not have the joy of seeing family and friends after games. Isolation, concerns of the virus and for loved ones will play on their minds on top of the jitters from playing playoff hockey. 

I don’t believe there is any reason to put an asterisk on this years cup, but I’ll take it regardless. When life hands you chance to win I recommend taking it. 

I see the problem. People who say things like, "I don't want our first Stanley Cup to be..." are assuming that if we don't win this year that we will definitely win in the near future. 

But that assumption is not reasonable when there are so many teams in the league, when every year there are some really good teams that don't win the cup.

In the past quarter century, only 13 different teams have won cups. And there is no guarantee that we or any of the other teams who have not won a cup in the last quarter century will do so in the next quarter century. 

9 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Not interested. Completely different set of circumstances this year. As far as I'm concerned this cup isn't a legitimate Stanley Cup. It's an outlier. If it's all the same to you, awesome, but as far as I'm concerned not only is this Cup coming with a massive asterisk, but assuming we were to win it, it would suck the wind out of the sails of a potential future legitimate cup win down the line. "Take it any way you can get it" just isn't good enough for me. 

I don't want our first Stanley Cup to be this bastardized version of the cup, and I sure as hell won't be celebrating if we do become the Corona-cup champs. 

the asterisk thing is bs  ,   there was only like 10 regular season games left  hence the play in round   they are playing 4 rounds of a 7 game series so it will be like any other playoffs  except no fans and no travelling  ,  so you rather not see any playoff hockey then?    every one is fresh , full rosters , maybe few guys still recovering from injuries if anything it going to be harder to win a cup  this year  .

it could be a pretty unique celebration. I wouldn't mind hearing a 7 o'clock cheer that lasted a couple hours. I'd even stay quiet about the people who would try to make it about their own singing/DJ set/whatever off their balcony

45 minutes ago, the grinder said:

the asterisk thing is bs  ,   there was only like 10 regular season games left  hence the play in round   they are playing 4 rounds of a 7 game series so it will be like any other playoffs  except no fans and no travelling  ,  so you rather not see any playoff hockey then?    every one is fresh , full rosters , maybe few guys still recovering from injuries if anything it going to be harder to win a cup  this year  .

I agree, the * is BS, there used to be only 6 teams for a long time, how hard could it have been to win a cup back then? I mean, come on, even the Leafs won a few.