The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why I don't want the Canucks winning the Cup this year

Rate this topic

EP40.

Considering the circumstances, would you rather the Canucks win the Cup?  

176 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Dumb Nuck said:

I agree, the * is BS, there used to be only 6 teams for a long time, how hard could it have been to win a cup back then? I mean, come on, even the Leafs won a few.

0r the 12 team league   heck there should be an asterisk against all Montreal cup winners when they had exclusives rights to all Quebec players  or when the 1st round only had 5 games not 7  better asterisk those cup winners too  , better asterisk the Dallas cup win against buffalo  too while we are at it    

14 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Given the changes, there were will be some people saying this year doesn’t count, no matter which team wins the cup.

I’m not saying it “wouldn’t count”, as people have alluded to teams winning in shortended seasons. M

It’s more directed to the circumstances regarding fan involvement (lack of in this case). The entire environment is different as it’ll be empty stadiums. Team’s that win in shortended seasons can still look at the fond memories and see them lifting the Cup with the atmosphere inclusive of fans regardless of home or away...it’s what makes the videos of the Cup being raised so infamous imo. It’s kind of like for those people graduating this year...they graduated which they’ll take but it’s just not the same with not having the ceremonies/events and all. Which likewise, that makes those is the atmosphere AKA having others around (family/friends/fans). 

6 hours ago, EP40. said:

I’m not saying it “wouldn’t count”, as people have alluded to teams winning in shortended seasons. M

It’s more directed to the circumstances regarding fan involvement (lack of in this case). The entire environment is different as it’ll be empty stadiums. Team’s that win in shortended seasons can still look at the fond memories and see them lifting the Cup with the atmosphere inclusive of fans regardless of home or away...it’s what makes the videos of the Cup being raised so infamous imo. It’s kind of like for those people graduating this year...they graduated which they’ll take but it’s just not the same with not having the ceremonies/events and all. Which likewise, that makes those is the atmosphere AKA having others around (family/friends/fans). 

It wasn’t directed at you, just speaking of the NHL fanbase in general. :) 

On 6/28/2020 at 2:27 PM, Kevin Biestra said:

If the two times there has been an asterisk, that win was validated by quasi-dynasties surrounding it, doesn't that support the legitimacy of the Cup...  If such things are even to be considered at all.

I'm not arguing it isnt a legit cup. I'm explaining why you dont hear so much crying about asterisks in those two cases.

On 6/28/2020 at 10:47 PM, Googlie said:

Keeping your highest ranked non-protected player isn't nothing.   If allowing Seattle to grab Demko let's us retain, say, Gaudette or Virtanen,  would a trade get us a better player/prospect?

Well you would be protecting a 25 yr old vs a 32 yr old and up to 4 million in cap space for a couple of years.I am just thinking of 2 years into the future.

As far as a trade, once Marky is signed every team in the league would know the Canucks would be trading from a position of weakness because it is trade or lose for nothing. Seattle reaps the rewards because they can select him and if they decide to trade him they can package him for a top pick from some other team that could be in the same boat as Vancouver.

There has to be a plan because now the cap is known for the next 3 seasons and young prospects and draft picks will be currency of gold.

Next season the draft isn't nearly as deep and this and the 2022 draft so just have to wait and see if the Canucks can make the playoffs this year or miss for the 5th year in a row, so far it is a miss if the season is finished.

Edited by Lazurus

6 hours ago, Lazurus said:

Well you would be protecting a 25 yr old vs a 32 yr old and up to 4 million in cap space for a couple of years.I am just thinking of 2 years into the future.

As far as a trade, once Marky is signed every team in the league would know the Canucks would be trading from a position of weakness because it is trade or lose for nothing. Seattle reaps the rewards because they can select him and if they decide to trade him they can package him for a top pick from some other team that could be in the same boat as Vancouver.

There has to be a plan because now the cap is known for the next 3 seasons and young prospects and draft picks will be currency of gold.

Next season the draft isn't nearly as deep and this and the 2022 draft so just have to wait and see if the Canucks can make the playoffs this year or miss for the 5th year in a row, so far it is a miss if the season is finished.

You know Benning can also make a side deal with Seattle  too ,  take player x and we will give you player y or a prospect or draft pick . There is a plan in place  it is called let's see what the league is going to do first before you can make a plan , if the season is on hold that means plans are on hold . Benning is planning for the team to play at least 5 games or more , evaluate the team   integrate 6 -8  young players over the next 2 seasons( gold as you call them) and Benning  has said this long  before covid  hit . 

.  Now with the draft picks again , do you ever think Benning already forecasted the next season draft as being weak , Think about with the miller trade  if they make the playoffs great , NJ get a late round pick and if we are in the lottery we keep the pick so that's a win win then NJ can have the weak draft late round pick after the next season , sounds like a good plan

There is a few plans already laid out,   So you can stop with this no plan bs just because Benning won't come out and tell you and the entire league what his entire  plan is over the next 3 years , No gm just blabs his plan for 3 years , that would put the gm in "position of weakness" and we wouldn't want that now .right ? 

ps if the season is finished every team misses the playoffs,  so technically we are still in the playoff hunt , win we move on lose we get a lottery ticket  just like Benning  planned it 

On 6/29/2020 at 1:10 PM, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

C085F061-C525-4859-82BE-66C3E6641D20.jpeg

That’s nice and all but I’m not talking about losing for the lottery. My reasons have nothing to do with that. More so not wanting to win without the experience/euphoria.

^that is precisely what I mean when I say I’d prefer the Canucks not win this season. 

19 minutes ago, EP40. said:

That’s nice and all but I’m not talking about losing for the lottery. My reasons have nothing to do with that. More so not wanting to win without the experience/euphoria.

^that is precisely what I mean when I say I’d prefer the Canucks not win this season. 

Either way it looks like Gaudette disagrees with you. I doubt you’d get much support from any of the other players either. Especially your namesake. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Either way it looks like Gaudette disagrees with you. I doubt you’d get much support from any of the other players either. Especially your namesake. 

What? 

How can he disagree with something I haven’t even said lol

& idc about players opinions, I’m just stating my own is all. I’ve even said in OP players wouldn’t let down and will go all out. I’m just saying it will suck seeing empty celebrations if that were to be the case which isn’t really arguable.

Okay I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt that you don’t REALLY mean that you’d  rather the Canucks don’t win the Cup this year. You did add the word hypothetically at the end. 
Would it be way less fun? Certainly. Without a doubt. 
Not hearing the roar of the crowd when the last horn sounds to end the deciding win over the Boston Bruins. B)

Crowding the streets to CELEBRATE not riot. Hugging your friends, and the cute girl stranger walking by.

But if we are the winner we will have had to win 5 freakin rounds! In an interrupted COVID stressed environment. As someone else said, any asterisk besides this season’s winner should indicate the toughest Cup win ever, especially if won by any of the play in teams.

What if Rogers arena had some structural problem, a terrorist scare, a natural disaster blocking access, or any other event that results in an empty arena and empty streets? Would it then also be not worth the win? 

It’s just a weird year. For everyone, everywhere. A Cup win is a Cup win, weird or not.

• Vintage 1

On 7/2/2020 at 9:45 PM, EP40. said:

So you wouldn’t want the Canucks to win the league because Liverpool got a guard of honour at the Etihad Stadium. Not exactly the same thing considering it’s 

a) an away game
b) Liverpool had already won the league

c) they won it when Man City lost to Chelsea so either way even if there were fans they wouldn’t have been played when it happened

d) they haven’t yet had a home game after winning that the fans would have been able to go to.

I get the whole empty stadium bit if winning the Stanley cup, but ask a Liverpool fan winning the league is winning the league, the team still has to be good enough to do it. Yes they would have preferred to have fans in the stadium on their next home game to celebrate but I doubt you will find a fan who will say they didn’t want to win it this year because they had to plays some games behind closed doors .

the whole argument comes across as entitled. ‘If I cannot be there to see it I don’t want it to happen’ 

Edited by UKNuck96
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, UKNuck96 said:

So you wouldn’t want the Canucks to win the league because Liverpool got a guard of honour at the Etihad Stadium. Not exactly the same thing considering it’s 

a) an away game
b) Liverpool had already won the league

c) they won it when Man City lost to Chelsea so either way even if there were fans they wouldn’t have been played when it happened

d) they haven’t yet had a home game after winning that the fans would have been able to go to.

I get the whole empty stadium bit if winning the Stanley cup, but ask a Liverpool fan winning the league is winning the league, the team still has to be good enough to do it. Yes they would have preferred to have fans in the stadium on their next home game to celebrate but I doubt you will find a fan who will say they didn’t want to win it this year because they had to plays some games behind closed doors .

the whole argument comes across as entitled. ‘If I cannot be there to see it I don’t want it to happen’ 

No doubt.  98% of the fan base won’t be fortunate enough to be there live anyways - and I’m sure the pure joy after winning and the reactions of the players wouldn’t be any different if fans were there or not - obvious enough given how many teams win during road games.   Did Boston not cheer when they beat us?  

The stands aren’t even that noticeable other then some of the lower bowl on most TV shots ... and sure by the time we get to the final all of us will be used to it...not to mention there is already talk about letting 1000 fans in for the finals ... which is enough to go around the bowl a couple rows socially distancing for sure ... which in Florida’s case doesn’t look much different anyways from a TV perspective ha ha 

On 7/2/2020 at 5:12 PM, EP40. said:

What? 

How can he disagree with something I haven’t even said lol

& idc about players opinions, I’m just stating my own is all. I’ve even said in OP players wouldn’t let down and will go all out. I’m just saying it will suck seeing empty celebrations if that were to be the case which isn’t really arguable.

Hmmm.   When I watch the cup winning game it’s the players reactions in watching, not what the fans might be doing (and enough road game wins where no fans are cheering right?)...it won’t suck one bit if the Canucks win - it will be overwhelming joyous fans or no fans - road or home win. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

why are we even arguing about whether winning the cup is legit or not? we are only winning the cup if all the top players from the actual contenders loses a bunch of their top players to the virus lol. whoever wins the cup prolly won't even be allowed to have a parade with the cup so who cares.

On 7/1/2020 at 1:41 PM, Lazurus said:

Demko isn’t ready - that said I suppose we could look to add a cheap experienced former starter to tutor Demko and just wait and see what he’s capable of with more games.   Don t see that happening though - and his stock is too low to get much back right now given then that team would have to commit or also face losing him too.   Maybe Detroit or OTT but that’s about it nobody else would go for it.    Goalies don’t usually get much value in a trade ... especially back-ups.   Too easy to find  those guys.   The team is going to sign Markstrom .... expect a 3-5 year deal in the 6-5 million range depending on term.   Sucks if we lose Demko but we are going to lose someone...a lot different this time around worrying about losing so and so who’s careers all virtually disappeared in a year or two anyways.  This time it’s going to sting no matter what. 

10 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

why are we even arguing about whether winning the cup is legit or not? we are only winning the cup if all the top players from the actual contenders loses a bunch of their top players to the virus lol. whoever wins the cup prolly won't even be allowed to have a parade with the cup so who cares.

If the Canucks win the cup, then they erase all the jokes. Doesnt matter if there was fans, no fans, some players got covid or you got sick. It really doesnt matter what you think, because the Canucks players would have their names on the hardest trophy in sports to win. I want them to win every year, if you dont, you arent really a fan at all. Plus Canucks winning this year doesnt disqualify them to win it again next year or the year after. This is why this thread and its whole reasoning about winning this year is beyond stupid. Its not like the Canucks have won many cups so its ok if we dont win it this year. The Canucka havent even won one in their history, so damn right I want them to win it this year.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1