The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why I don't want the Canucks winning the Cup this year

Rate this topic

EP40.

Considering the circumstances, would you rather the Canucks win the Cup?  

176 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 6/29/2020 at 5:55 AM, EP40. said:

I’m not saying it “wouldn’t count”, as people have alluded to teams winning in shortended seasons. M

It’s more directed to the circumstances regarding fan involvement (lack of in this case). The entire environment is different as it’ll be empty stadiums. Team’s that win in shortended seasons can still look at the fond memories and see them lifting the Cup with the atmosphere inclusive of fans regardless of home or away...it’s what makes the videos of the Cup being raised so infamous imo. It’s kind of like for those people graduating this year...they graduated which they’ll take but it’s just not the same with not having the ceremonies/events and all. Which likewise, that makes those is the atmosphere AKA having others around (family/friends/fans). 

I’m sure just like the maturity level shown by this years grads (one of my kids did) the NHL players will be absolutely stoked to lift the cup and skate around ... also I’d be surprised if their wasn’t some fans or people in the lower bowl for the final games ...already talk of letting 1000 people into those games which socially distancing wouldn’t look much different then the average Florida game from an ice level viewpoint.   The only strange thing about that would be maybe half the fans won’t be cheering as they are fans of the other team.   If Vancouver won it should have an asterisk- because it will be the hardest cup in the history of the game to win for those teams doing the play-ins.   That’s coming from the players themselves....whomever is voting against this will also be cheering their arses off...

On 6/27/2020 at 4:46 PM, EP40. said:

*Disclaimer: this coming from a season ticket holder if it holds any more/less merit.*

So with hockey soon to resume, I've been thinking this and would like to hear people's opinions on this. Bottom line for me: it wouldn't be right for the Canucks (or any team as a matter of fact that hasn't already won a Cup or even in a long drought) to win this season as COVID has changed everything.

To put into perspective, there's a long time running joke in the English Premier League that Liverpool would never win the League. They hadn't won once in 3 decades. People would say the world would end if they ever did, lo and behold, it literally got to that point. After 30 years they finally dominated this season & were easily pacing to win the EPL. 2 games away from clinching their 1st ever title, COVID suspended the season. The league resumed a couple weeks ago and they just clinched the title the other day. No fans in stadiums. No bus parade. No same atmosphere. No same memories as every other previous winners. Just very very awkward. If it wasn't for COVID, it'd be a very different story (partying/celebrating like never seen before) but that's obviously not the case.

...is this something you'd be okay with as a hockey fan with a similar team that has never won before/long drought if they were to win?

Try imagining this,

but crickets in the stands as Pietrangelo/Bo lifts the Cup for the 1st time in Blues/Canucks franchise history.

It's a very harsh reality those first time teams would have to live with for the rest of eternity. Sure the players will celebrate and won't let down one bit while playing but the circumstances undoubtedly have changed in the grand scheme of things. It just wouldn't be the same. Bitter-sweet would be the best way to put it.

So as an avid Canucks supporter myself, I have to ultimately say I'd rather we not hypothetically win this season for the sake of reasons mentioned above. What are your thoughts on this?

Ummmm obviously you haven't been watching since 1974 or you wouldn't give a flying f_ck when we win it, as long as we win ONE! 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

The players will be excited to win the Cup regardless. If it's crickets, then it would be like winning on the road or in Florida/Arizona.

As for the fans, surely there will be celebrations. Whether people will banging pots and pans from their balconies, driving through the streets pumping their horns with their car flags, or the inevitable spilling into downtown of people celebrating (those that are going to ignore pandemic rules anyway), it will still be a pretty wild party in Vancouver should we win. Just like winning on the road, everyone will be watch from their TVs anyway. Bars and restaurants would be open, just not as packed. The atmosphere will still be there.

There is never a reason why we wouldn't want the Canucks to not win a Stanley Cup.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2020 at 7:42 PM, DefCon1 said:

If the Canucks win the cup, then they erase all the jokes. Doesnt matter if there was fans, no fans, some players got covid or you got sick. It really doesnt matter what you think, because the Canucks players would have their names on the hardest trophy in sports to win. I want them to win every year, if you dont, you arent really a fan at all. Plus Canucks winning this year doesnt disqualify them to win it again next year or the year after. This is why this thread and its whole reasoning about winning this year is beyond stupid. Its not like the Canucks have won many cups so its ok if we dont win it this year. The Canucka havent even won one in their history, so damn right I want them to win it this year.

I dont see how winning the cup will erase all the jokes. It'll be the canucks season is saved by the coronavirus. Markstrom was injured and we were spiraling out of a playoff spot. If the season were to finish without a pause and following the trend with markstrom not ready to come back. I think its fair to say the canucks were more than likely to continue spiraling out of a playoff spot.  We are only in there coz corona saved the season and now all the players are healthy lol.

4 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

I dont see how winning the cup will erase all the jokes. It'll be the canucks season is saved by the coronavirus. Markstrom was injured and we were spiraling out of a playoff spot. If the season were to finish without a pause and following the trend with markstrom not ready to come back. I think its fair to say the canucks were more than likely to continue spiraling out of a playoff spot.  We are only in there coz corona saved the season and now all the players are healthy lol.

I’d rather have COVID help us win than the ref. Every team that wins gets breaks along the way, does it really matter what they are? Of course people will try to demean the winning team, but they’ll be from the losing teams.

38 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

I’d rather have COVID help us win than the ref. Every team that wins gets breaks along the way, does it really matter what they are? Of course people will try to demean the winning team, but they’ll be from the losing teams.

Literally every fanbase on the losing side claims they were robbed every year based on something. This is no different.

The playing field is even now. No team can claim they have an unfair disadvantage, so why would winning equal anything less?

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Let me put it this way: if we actually win the cup this year (unlikely) and there are still people who complain that we haven't won a cup in 40 years, it'll really prove how poor our fanbase would be at that point. Not only that, but if we lose against Minnesota, we only have a 12.5% chance of getting the 1st overall pick. Sure it's a chance, but it's not exactly that high and also an unlikely scenario.

So I guess my real question is why does this thread even exist? Even the poll shows just how silly this way of thinking is.

Edited by The Lock
  • Vintage 1

16 hours ago, theo5789 said:

The players will be excited to win the Cup regardless. If it's crickets, then it would be like winning on the road or in Florida/Arizona.

As for the fans, surely there will be celebrations. Whether people will banging pots and pans from their balconies, driving through the streets pumping their horns with their car flags, or the inevitable spilling into downtown of people celebrating (those that are going to ignore pandemic rules anyway), it will still be a pretty wild party in Vancouver should we win. Just like winning on the road, everyone will be watch from their TVs anyway. Bars and restaurants would be open, just not as packed. The atmosphere will still be there.

There is never a reason why we wouldn't want the Canucks to not win a Stanley Cup.

Bet you could hear BC collectively cheering from Calgary.   Every small town to city to big city in the province will be cheering and making a fuss.  Pure joy.  Personally it would be so unexpected that any run would rival 94’s... We have more fans then ever now ... four generations of them ...  I’d consider coming home even if it meant quarantining if we make it to the final just to be part of that.   Just not sure where to go whether it be Castlegar celebrating with the entire town including the Greens and some cousins, or the Island with family , or Vancouver with family ...  All the places I’ve lived had hard core fans in BC and would miss the fun... 

Even here in Ontario I’ve met people born and raised  that became fans because of Linden/Bure teams (Bure often their favourite player growing up - wow didn’t know that until I moved here thought it was all about TO and the Sens)...   And watching Sens games in the peak Sedin years up to 50% of the arena was blue and green and black and yellow - good times (that’s faded a lot but still a lot of Canuck fans every game)...  Canada needs a cup too, wouldn’t be at all surprised if the country gets behind us this year - as long as it isn’t TO on the other end ha ha. 

• Cheers 1

17 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

The people that might make excuses of how Canucks won because of Covid19 will be juveniles or immature adults that still live in their parents basement browsing calgarypuck 24/7. No one gives a flying F how we won the cup because we won the cup. It does erase all the Canucks cupless jokes and it sure as hell erases our futile history of not winning. Thats more important than listening to some 11 year old rant about why Canucks were lucky to win.

11 hours ago, The Lock said:

Let me put it this way: if we actually win the cup this year (unlikely) and there are still people who complain that we haven't won a cup in 40 years, it'll really prove how poor our fanbase would be at that point. Not only that, but if we lose against Minnesota, we only have a 12.5% chance of getting the 1st overall pick. Sure it's a chance, but it's not exactly that high and also an unlikely scenario.

So I guess my real question is why does this thread even exist? Even the poll shows just how silly this way of thinking is.

The logic behind this thread is similar to someone passing the chance to claim 1 million dollars because they think the next jackpot will have a bigger prize. I would say OP isnt a real Canucks fan based on the premise that he doesnt want the Canucks to win a cup this year. I have never seen real Canucks fans not wanting to win the cup.

I'd start my own damn parade.

Breaking News on Global:  "We have reports of a car zooming around town, honking...flags on every window.  Woo's heard coming from the driver's window, oh wait...now a woman's seemingly stopped the car and is standing on the driver's seat, head through the sunroof, pumping her arms in the air...we'll update when we have more information...ohhh, now we have two cars...."

Where there's a will, there's a way.  Where there's a cup, there's a parade.  Life is what you make it.

3 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Breaking News on Global:  "We have reports of a car zooming around town, honking...flags on every window.  Woo's heard coming from the driver's window, oh wait...how a woman's stopped and is standing, head through the sunroof, pumping her arms in the air...we'll update when we have more information...ohhh, now we have two cars...."

Where there's a will, there's a way.  Where there's a cup, there's a parade.  Life is what you make it.

Now she is swinging a white blouse over her head like she is Roger Neilson! Oh, now we have bumper to bumper traffic out there, it is pandemonium!"

But really: i would prefer to lose in the play-in round or go all the way to the stanley cup finals...a win would be just as amazing as any year,,a Dubya is a Dubya is a Dubya and a Vancouver Stanley CUp, after what, 103 years? WHen did the Millionaires win it? Well it is time again now for Vancouver, covid or no covid.

Edited by Primal Optimist

3 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I honestly think if they make the finals, they'd find a way to get people into Rogers Arena and BC Place, and outdoor areas to display the game, so at least there could be some sort of fan reaction (while being socially distant, of course). 

• Cheers 1

Just a reminder all but one of the Leafs Cup wins were when there were only 6 teams, how hard could that be? There last win was when the league expanded to 12 team so even then only 6 teams were established. Every team is going into this in the same situation and the winning team may have to play more games than any other team ever had to play. IMHO the team that wins it this year will have earned it more than any team before.

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Primal Optimist said:

Now she is swinging her white blouse over her head like she is Roger Neilson, Mildred, cover the children's eyes! Oh, now we have bumper to bumper traffic out there, it is pandemonium!"

But really: i would prefer to lose in the play-in round or go all the way to the stanley cup finals...a win would be just as amazing as any year,,a Dubya is a Dubya is a Dubya and a Vancouver Stanley CUp, after what, 103 years? WHen did the Millionaires win it? Well it is time again now for Vancouver, covid or no covid.

I think any result is positive at this point. Lose the play-in, get a top 15 pick (with a slight chance at 1st overall) and get some semi-playoff experience. Win the play-in, more playoff experience and assessment the further we go and we can move on from the Miller trade giving NJ a 16-31 pick. Win the Cup, as you've said "pandemonium".

• Thanks 1

It will have more merit than Houston winning their championship(s).

It will take 19 wins to get a Cup, so it actually is even harder than before!

Also, imagine playing Boston in the Finals...no way would you think losing is an acceptable alternative.

Any way you slice it, the team that takes ALL OF SCIENCE and MEDICINE's advice on prevention of COVID-19 to heart and implements the best DEFENSE against an outbreak is likely the Cup Winner over the long haul. After the play-in round anyways...that is just a turkey shoot that I hope our rusty boys outlast the other rusty boys at. 

47 minutes ago, canuckster19 said:

Yeah, it would be such a Canuck thing to do to win a Stanley Cup in these circumstances, as others have said though, I'd take it any way I can get it.

I love that you live in Goteborg. My Versgotaspetz is traditionally from near you, and so is my ancestral family farm. Neato.