The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Light... or Dark!

Rate this topic

Light or Dark Jerseys?  

54 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Nostalgia for me does come into play, as when I started watching, they used light jerseys at home, but I do like the more obvious colour identity shown at home with the dark ones.

Interestingly, I believe they only started using light jerseys at home during some point in the 80s, so for most of the NHL's history, dark jerseys have been the home jerseys.

https://www.liveabout.com/nhl-dress-code-2778245

Here's the history of the convention of colours at home and white away.  It has changed back and forth a couple of times since it was standardized in 1950.  With the advent of TV, home teams wore coloured jerseys and away teams wore white.  In 1970, they switched.  And in 2003, they switched back again.

4 hours ago, South Cariboo Canuck said:

I have always liked the white home jerseys. Not sure if this is a topic already... if so, sorry about that. Thoughts, and why? Not sure how to start a poll, so if anyone can...

For me the whites at home made no sense at all. Each team has there own team colors and a white jersey version .Home = team colors, road = generic white for all.

6 hours ago, Maginator said:

Dark shows off the teams colors.

Loved it when the NHL made dark jerseys home. 

Why have boring white as the home when it's not even the teams main color?

Cause white jerseys matter?

:emot-parrot:

7 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Nostalgia for me does come into play, as when I started watching, they used light jerseys at home, but I do like the more obvious colour identity shown at home with the dark ones.

Interestingly, I believe they only started using light jerseys at home during some point in the 80s, so for most of the NHL's history, dark jerseys have been the home jerseys.

I think up until 1970 home jerseys were dark. The exact same year the Canucks joined (70-71) they switched over to white home jerseys and that was in use through the 02-03 season obviously. i could be mistaken though.

Edit: quickly checked on wiki:

"Each team is currently required to have two sweater designs: One with a white base (or historically, a yellow color), and one with a darker-colored base. Between the 1970-71 and 2002-03 seasons, NHL teams wore white (or yellow) uniforms at home and dark uniforms on the road (which is the current convention in some low-level ice hockey leagues). Since the 2003–04 season, NHL teams typically wear the dark color at home and the white for road games; there are occasional single-game exceptions.[1][2][3] The only element allowed by NHL rules to be interchangeable between the two sets of equipment is the pants."

and here's a really cool page where you can check even the smallest changes from year to year (different fonts, numbers, socks, etc...)

NHLuniforms

Edited by Rubik
  • Thanks 1

Used to like the  light ones .... and understood the reasoning behind it - season ticket holders got to see each road teams more colourful jerseys.     In fact when they played the “road skate” 3 times this year it left me wanting to see their “home” version.    Since the change came not soon after that and the hideous first generation of the Orca is gone - it really doesn’t bother me much either way.   But I do understand why they used to be white, and it makes a lot of sense really.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Upvote 2

I am not passionate about this one but I do think it makes more sense for the home team to wear the light jerseys.  Getting to see the different colors of road teams is preferable to me.  It also seems to make sense that the home team be the light colors. 

I see the Canucks plenty so it's really more about the road team for me.  I also think a "sea of white" looks really cool in the playoffs.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

I grew up in the home white Jersey era. But I like the dark Jerseys for home.

i still hope Canucks make a official Saturday only Jerseys. black Skate Jersey for Saturday Home and White Skate Jersey Saturday away. 

The other 6 days a week the regular blue white green Jersey.

make it happen Jimbo.

Dark. Highlight's our team more as the home team.

Honestly, I think soccer has the right idea with often times neither jersey being white. It's a lot more interesting to me.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

Dark. Light home jerseys made sense when the only way to see another team's jersey was to actually go to the game. Now that everybody has a high-def colour screen to watch the game on, light at home no longer makes sense. You're in your barn. You should be wearing your colours.

On 6/28/2020 at 7:47 PM, Maginator said:

Dark shows off the teams colors.

Loved it when the NHL made dark jerseys home. 

Why have boring white as the home when it's not even the teams main color?

So what your saying is we went from a iconic (playoffs do that ) skate jersey, to a dreadful black, purple and red one with a constipated looking Orca Messier era logo and that’s your preference because it was darker?   Back then the  rest of the leagues were also going as dark as they could and some games with the TV quality back then it was hard to tell say Dallas apart from ours from a distance..even though it was white and dark ... Buffalo and Dallas too...plus black isn’t a colour ha ha. Just teasing...kind of.   

When we played the black skate jersey at home it looked great but didn’t feel right - left me wanting to see our white ones.    Now I really don’t care, it’s a new ish look this year, not sure about the green sleeve stripes but it’s still miles better then the ones we had in both the Messier and WCE era so there’s that.  It’s definitely colourful (current one).   Not sure I actually prefer it over our road ones  - kind of meh either way. 

On 6/29/2020 at 5:54 PM, Bitter Melon said:

Dark. Light home jerseys made sense when the only way to see another team's jersey was to actually go to the game. Now that everybody has a high-def colour screen to watch the game on, light at home no longer makes sense. You're in your barn. You should be wearing your colours.

We had TVs back then too - didn’t need HD to see the uniforms ..Those who grew up with the lighter jersey were used to it for sure - plus almost all black isn’t very colourful no matter how you throw the orange red and yellow stripes on ha ha.  The white skate was definitely the home jersey not the black ones.   But to each their own.  Our current one I really don’t care - but would prefer to see the white skate then the black skate at home.  It only became hard to tell during the Messier/Buffaloslug era where all teams went black/dark over a short period.   Really noticeable in the 99 finals. 

Edited by IBatch