The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Skate Jersey Petition For Qualifying Round/Playoffs

Rate this topic

djheer

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/5/2020 at 9:18 PM, Tiger-Hearted said:

Detroit is known as the Motor City. Vancouver is not the Orca/Killer Whale City. Vancouver is known for its beautiful natural scenery which explains the original/current blue, green and white.

Uh, the West Coast of BC very much is tied to the Orca.

My father fished the waters here his entire life and it certainly is relevant to Vancouver.  Unless you're a city dweller who never actually has looked at inhabitants OF our beautiful natural scenery.  Just look at any totem pole to see the significance and history of the Orca in relation to our city/team.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

On 7/7/2020 at 2:03 PM, Tiger-Hearted said:

You're more than welcome. The truth is the TRUTH. There are a select few who are Generation Xers and even Baby Boomers, who do support the Orca....especially social activists, environmentalists and people who love First Nations art(Baggins) which is what the Orca doesn't even come close to being.

Back in January, I designed a recoloured Skate without the use of computer graphics. Because of the very strong popularity of the Skate but with the importance of keeping our original/current Vancouver, BC colours, I felt why not combine the two?? I even included a hockey stick as a tribute to the classic Stick in Rink and to the game of hockey as semi bordering of the "CANUCKS" wordmark. I have the Skate level to avoid "downhill" criticism and removed the thin lines in the background for a cleaner look, much like the Stick in Rink.

A good strong logo not only represents the team name and/or sport, it unites a fan base. In the case of the Canucks, it would unite, at least, 70% of the fan base. A logo that doesn't represent the team name and/or sport but only caters to a specific age range and demographic does nothing but divide the fan base. That's a bad logo.

20200108_133922.jpg

Nope...the skate logo should only EVER be in the colour scheme it was done in and this is a bad idea.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I didn't read the thread (I assume it devolved into another rehash of the semi-annual jersey debate around here), but I hope they start out wearing the standard home orca and reserve the black skate as a rallying cry if they get down in the series (assuming they could successfully petition the league to allow it).

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

My father fished the waters here his entire life and it certainly is relevant to Vancouver.  Unless you're a city dweller who never actually has looked at inhabitants OF our beautiful natural scenery.  Just look at any totem pole to see the significance and history of the Orca in relation to our city/team.

Are you on the Aquilinis' and CSE's payroll??

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

The skate is fine as a throwback but shouldn't be the main Jersey and I'd like the team to stick with the current home and away for the playoffs to continue to build an actual sense of identity rather than cater to nostalgia. The Canucks have never had a decent logo so they might as well stick with the superior colors/striping.

• Like 1

Same suspects... man these boards never change... kinda of sad actually...

our current jerseys are perfect. we actually have some tradition with the Orca. its been nice, all you trying to ruin that tradition should be ashamed :lol:

revamp the Orca? sure, but The Orca represents the West coast perfectly, love it. We should embrace it even more with the Krak heads down the road!!! Orcas love their calamari!!

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

1 hour ago, Laoag said:

Same suspects... man these boards never change... kinda of sad actually...

our current jerseys are perfect. we actually have some tradition with the Orca. its been nice, all you trying to ruin that tradition should be ashamed :lol:

revamp the Orca? sure, but The Orca represents the West coast perfectly, love it. We should embrace it even more with the Krak heads down the road!!! Orcas love their calamari!!

I don't know if "perfect" is the right way to describe it but I'm with you!  The Orca has been our logo for almost half the history of the team.  Leave it alone if only for the sake of finally establishing some consistency!

Vancouver has a reputation for complaining about everything.  Threads like this don't help lol.

Having said that I would love to see the Skate used a little more often.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Baratheon said:

I don't know if "perfect" is the right way to describe it but I'm with you!  The Orca has been our logo for almost half the history of the team.  Leave it alone if only for the sake of finally establishing some consistency!

Vancouver has a reputation for complaining about everything.  Threads like this don't help lol.

Having said that I would love to see the Skate used a little more often.

then ill say I am perfectly happy with the jerseys, I have said since the Wordmark Jerseys came out, that they needed to drop the Vancouver then it would be a great jersey. Perfect is in fact impossible because what looks good is suggestive. 

Yes there are complainers, but its a very vocal minority that give us a bad name. they know who they are as well.

I grew up with the skate, its nostalgic and it is fun to see, my favourite player was Bure... till he smashed our hearts out... lots of good memories as a kid with those jerseys, but lets call a spade a spade... the logo is bad hahaha, we also did A LOT of losing in those Jerseys. not saying I don't like to see them once in a while but... as a full time jersey? no way!! 

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Laoag said:

then ill say I am perfectly happy with the jerseys, I have said since the Wordmark Jerseys came out, that they needed to drop the Vancouver then it would be a great jersey. Perfect is in fact impossible because what looks good is suggestive. 

Yes there are complainers, but its a very vocal minority that give us a bad name. they know who they are as well.

I grew up with the skate, its nostalgic and it is fun to see, my favourite player was Bure... till he smashed our hearts out... lots of good memories as a kid with those jerseys, but lets call a spade a spade... the logo is bad hahaha, we also did A LOT of losing in those Jerseys. not saying I don't like to see them once in a while but... as a full time jersey? no way!! 

Agreed!  I'll admit that I was at the "unveiling ceremony" for the wordmark jersey and it was a cool experience for me.  I might be a bit biased.

My reason for supporting the Orca is a combination of two things. Consistency is first.  I like that we have had the same thing for a long time.  Confidence is second!  I'm pretty sure the rest of the league is not worried about our logo!  We shouldn't be either!  It's solid even if it's not your favorite!

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

On 7/23/2020 at 12:51 PM, debluvscanucks said:

I hate the Orca as it actually stands for the American company that owned the Canucks and doesn't remotely tie to the team name.

I am more interested in the fish your dad caught....

Edited by Chris12345
  • Like 1
  • Wat 1

1 hour ago, Chris12345 said:

I hate the Orca as it actually stands for the American company that owned the Canucks and doesn't remotely tie to the team name.

I am more interested in the fish your dad caught....

I should keep a tally of how many times I'm triggered by this asinine argument every year. 

• Cheers 3

53 minutes ago, tas said:

I should keep a tally of how many times I'm triggered by this asinine argument every year. 

Add another tally. I'll remind you in less than a year as it's not my favorite. 

Edited by Chris12345

Personally, I don't care for the skate. I'm an original logo kind of guy. This being said, if the team can make some extra money from other jersey sales then more power to 'em.

It will be interesting to see the opinions regarding what jersey the team should wear in 2047. Will so many people still be talking about their love for the skate over the orca logo? By that time, there will (likely) be a lot more people who had seen the 2011 Cup run, and the '93 finals would be something that a minority would have witnessed. Would that logo hold any magic for them? Probably not.

regards,  G.

Edited by Gollumpus
  • Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Laoag said:

The “minority” on this site might be vocal - but they are doing it for the “majority “ that still prefer a different uniform.  The Orca ranks below the black skate and the original stick in rink uniforms on any poll large enough to make a decent sample size.   Including a recent one done by the province.  I also grew up the V and then the skate ... well even the original ones too but barely remember those ones.   

Ive accepted that we need continuity and at least the colours are back to good ones (the WCE era ones were mostly terrible) ... however I’d also be  happy if we just pulled the plug on the entire thing and went back to the black skate.   Why?  Because it’s better.  The majority at least feels that way - as does the rest of the league and other fan bases - it still resonates as the best of the bunch.   I’m used to the Orca and the new ones and don’t mind them like I did during the WCE days - but it’s also ranked third of the four uniforms in real polls that are done properly.   And whenever it goes head to head with the skate most of the stick in rink votes end up on the skate side so it’s not even close (yet).   I do believe this will fade in time as folks get older and pass on.  But until that happens it will never go away.   Seeing the guys in the black uniforms were awesome.  I’d be cool if we just used that as our third from now on.  

Need to see it more then 3 times a year though.... and agree that when it comes to playoffs we had permission to use them - at least give the team and fans a boost. 

And on Bure.   Much more disappointed in management then I was on Bure ... he was really low balled.    Plus Jovo was a fair deal - arguably the closest thing we’ve ever had to a number one defenseman, gold medalist (one of six regulars and he made a huge impact), regular all-star for us ... clutch goal scoring etc.    And top 100 all-time in many catagories (around 50 for goals and 72 for points).  Had a great career really. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, IBatch said:

The “minority” on this site might be vocal - but they are doing it for the “majority “ that still prefer a different uniform.  The Orca ranks below the black skate and the original stick in rink uniforms on any poll large enough to make a decent sample size.   Including a recent one done by the province.  I also grew up the V and then the skate ... well even the original ones too but barely remember those ones.   

Ive accepted that we need continuity and at least the colours are back to good ones (the WCE era ones were mostly terrible) ... however I’d also be  happy if we just pulled the plug on the entire thing and went back to the black skate.   Why?  Because it’s better.  The majority at least feels that way - as does the rest of the league and other fan bases - it still resonates as the best of the bunch.   I’m used to the Orca and the new ones and don’t mind them like I did during the WCE days - but it’s also ranked third of the four uniforms in real polls that are done properly.   And whenever it goes head to head with the skate most of the stick in rink votes end up on the skate side so it’s not even close (yet).   I do believe this will fade in time as folks get older and pass on.  But until that happens it will never go away.   Seeing the guys in the black uniforms were awesome.  I’d be cool if we just used that as our third from now on.  

Need to see it more then 3 times a year though.... and agree that when it comes to playoffs we had permission to use them - at least give the team and fans a boost. 

And on Bure.   Much more disappointed in management then I was on Bure ... he was really low balled.    Plus Jovo was a fair deal - arguably the closest thing we’ve ever had to a number one defenseman, gold medalist (one of six regulars and he made a huge impact), regular all-star for us ... clutch goal scoring etc.    And top 100 all-time in many catagories (around 50 for goals and 72 for points).  Had a great career really. 

Its not better, its called nostalgia, back in the day did anyone say we had the best jerseys with the skate? everyone aways talked about how bad the logo and jersey was. EVERYONE!

it still is a bad logo. people are just nostalgic which is fine I am too, I grew up with that logo. the Orca is our best symbol, best logo, longest serving, and highest winning percentage logo. Colours are the best as well. that's my opinion but the majority I people I know prefer it. Its a generational thing I get it, so I think the most important thing is keeping the brand and consistency. 

polls mean crap all. how many Canucks fans are there in the world? how many people are active on this forum? not even a percent, this is my first time back on these board in like a year maybe, and I am a biggest Canucks fan I know. Poll done by the province? yes... because people follow the province like they used to. I was not aware of that poll I didn't vote in it, see the issue? 

so in short... skate logo bad yet nostalgic, green and blue colours are better and represent our province better and we need consistency.

• Thanks 1
  • Wat 1