The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks and opting out

Rate this topic

Slegr

The NHL's return-to-play agreement that is being finalized will allow players to opt out of this summer's restart.

Are there any Canucks who you think would choose to opt out?

I feel like it's a long shot, but people have potentially different health-related reasons with folks in their respective bubbles, and then you have other situations, like Toffoli, who becomes a UFA, and may not want to injure himself before signing a new contract, and Horvat, whose family just welcomed their newborn. 

I'm hoping the whole team remains available, but if anyone decides to opt out, who do you think it would be?

Edited by Slegr

Im happy Hockey starts up again soon.

If players wanta keep their salaries high they better play. IMO Any players that option out are not team players and are selfish not thinking of fellow Players. They are lucky to make the money they get. The less games played the more money the players will end up losing. The health risk of getting c19 will actually be 100 times lower for players playing games in the bubble then average people trying to work and make a living in the city. So I don’t have to much sympathy for the players. 

Anywho I’m glad to see Canucks back on the ice. I hope the NHL is also working on next seasons plans. Cuz if things are this slow getting 2 hub cities and a plan to play I don’t see how the league will possibly get next season even started.

Also I don’t see the AHL ever playing again. A new league and system may be needed to fill the AHL spot. So what will happen to the Utica system player development? It maybe a long long wait and see. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, reyezone said:

Did mongol or viking warriors go into battle concerning themselves with what flu like symptoms they may contract from the enemy? No, they went forth, crushed the opponent and achieved glory. 

Easy for the Vikings though.  They had Antonio Banderas fighting on their side!

:ph34r:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gurn said:

Yah, how rude of them to think of their  health and that of  their immediate and extended families.  /s- for those that couldn't tell

I would think there is less of a chance getting the c19 in the bubble then just living simple life outside like everone else So the player health is zero an issue. If 1 person gets c19 then their removed and helped to recover. 

helping your family and fellow nhl players with long term financial gains the biggest concern.

how many times have you been tested for c19? The players will be ok in the bubble. Players family outside of bubble have higher chance of getting c19 then the bubble player does.

the only player heath risk is mental heath from bubble life.

Edited by HockeyHarry

If players want to opt out, I have their complete support because this virus is serious and risk of catching a virus in a bubble might be lower as long as other workers within the bubble don't leave the Bubble for whatever reason.  If one person is infected such as food delivery man would pose a big problem and I see the only risk of that happening.  

6 hours ago, Slegr said:

The NHL's return-to-play agreement that is being finalized will allow players to opt out of this summer's restart.

Are there any Canucks who you think would choose to opt out?

I feel like it's a long shot, but people have potentially different health-related reasons with folks in their respective bubbles, and then you have other situations, like Toffoli, who becomes a UFA, and may not want to injure himself before signing a new contract, and Horvat, whose family just welcomed their newborn. 

I'm hoping the whole team remains available, but if anyone decides to opt out, who do you think it would be?

Toffoli is already in town and practicing with the team, so I doubt he's opting out.  I haven't heard anybody on the Canucks saying that they'd opt out, unlike the Wild with Dubnyk possibly opting out.

Edited by Viper007

7 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

Toffoli is already in town and practicing with the team, so I doubt he's opting out.  I haven't heard anybody on the Canucks saying that they'd opt out, unlike the Wild with Dubnyk possibly opting out.

Dubnyk as player representative raised a series of concerns but never suggested that he would opt out.  He wanted to make sure that everyone is comfortable with the situation and not that once they get there that players start complaining.  He was also concerned about how restrictive the bubble was going to be.  They initially wanted players to just go from the rink to their hotel rooms.  There's been a lot of work done from the initial stage of the project to where they are now. 

Dubnyk is already in phase 2 and preparing to go.  He wants his starter job back.

Jordie Benn gave an interview where he said he won't accept to be separated from his family - baby is due in July.  He might have no choice but to opt out as families will initially not be allowed inside the bubble and players normally won't be allowed out.

These players have spent most of their lives working their arses off to live the dream of the SC playoffs.  Can't see any of them opting out.

Regardless, if a player does opt out, I won't be judging him.