The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Virtanen showing immaturity once again.

Rate this topic

cuporbust

If you think Virtanen is reckless going to a nightclub, what do you think of the European based players returning in those petri dish environments called an airplane.  Just as long as all the players take things seriously once they are put in the bubble, they can do whatever they like before that.

• Vintage 1

23 minutes ago, Pears said:

Because they are allowed to. If they weren’t they wouldn’t have been allowed to reopen. Simple. I don’t see the uproar about Hughes going out to eat because he doesn’t cook. Vancouver is literally the only city who treats its hockey players like this.

Going out to get take out food and going to a nightclub are two very different things. The biggest mistake Jake made was allowing his buddy to post it on instagram. 

13 minutes ago, the grinder said:

Would this be such a big deal if he was at restaurant downtown  instead ?  since you can't really eat or drink with a mask on  lol. is that really safer than being at a nightclub , 

This wouldn’t even have been heard about if Virtanen was on literally any other team. Only an “issue” because it’s Vancouver and Virtanen. 

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 2

1 minute ago, coho8888 said:

Yep because in a downtown restaurant you are not allowed to freely roam around to other tables, yell and sing and dance around not social distancing

lol ya ok I drove by the local earl's  there was no social distancing  or mask wearing what so ever , large groups of young people gathered  together ,  what happens if the cook , server  or a patron has covid  .  Just like the Mc donalds  in Coquitlam  a worker  has covid there , so you cant say one is better than the other

Just now, the grinder said:

lol ya ok I drove by the local earl's  there was no social distancing  or mask wearing what so ever , large groups of young people gathered  together ,  what happens if the cook , server  or a patron has covid  .  Just like the Mc donalds  in Coquitlam  a worker  has covid there , so you cant say one is better than the other

So that’s ok?  Did you report it?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Pears said:

This wouldn’t even have been heard about if Virtanen was on literally any other team. Only an “issue” because it’s Vancouver and Virtanen. 

Yeah, I’m sure that when the team says they’ve addressed the matter privately with Virtanen, they’re just patting him on the back and telling him to not mind the haters. Better yet, maybe Benning and co opened up a cold one with him and asked him if he got lucky. Heck, the team probably recommended that Jake go clubbing despite some players already hitting the ice on Tuesday.

You’re right, people are just too hard on the poor kid. He’s certainly never given us reason to doubt his professionalism. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

So that’s ok?  Did you report it?

according to the government it is ok, report to who the covid police?   pfft you think Worksafe cares ( because that who is supposedly regulates the rules ) , Worksafe is the laziest bunch of government workers , they don't even have staff to check 1% of the places in bc

24 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Yeah, I’m sure that when the team says they’ve addressed the matter privately with Virtanen, they’re just patting him on the back and telling him to not mind the haters. Better yet, maybe Benning and co opened up a cold one with him and asked him if he got lucky. Heck, the team probably recommended that Jake go clubbing despite some players already hitting the ice on Tuesday.

You’re right, people are just too hard on the poor kid. He’s certainly never given us reason to doubt his professionalism. 

Find other teams fans who are this hard on their players for trying to have fun as Canucks fans are. I’ll wait. 

1 minute ago, Pears said:

Find other teams fans who are this hard on their players for trying to have fun as Canucks fans are. I’ll wait. 

You’re asking the wrong question. What other NHL player is taking it upon himself to go clubbing in the middle of the pandemic?

2 minutes ago, Pears said:

Well we don’t follow other team’s fans that much do we?  And why does it have to be the same player over and over again?  Got any multiple pics of Quinn? Brock? Elias? Bo?

1 hour ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Except what we're saying is that "ready for hockey" in the context of the pandemic they find themselves in also includes not increasing the risk of transmitting the coronavirus to the team. All it takes is one false negative to let him continue to play, and BAM - he potentially takes out the whole team.

THAT'S the issue.

We can talk what if’s all day long. My point is people make mistakes and some  people are just tired of being locked up. It’s only human nature to be an idiot once in awhile especially for a fella in his early 20’s, all I’m saying.

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

We can talk what if’s all day long. My point is people make mistakes and some  people are just tired of being locked up. It’s only human nature to be an idiot once in awhile especially for a fella in his early 20’s, all I’m saying.

How long has he been in the league now?  At what point do you say he is no longer young anymore?  Look I’m rooting for this kid.  I want Jake to be part of our team moving forward.  I didn’t pay much attention or care about what he did in the past but we are in a pandemic right now and clubbing is not a good choice to make.  And FYI, if this had been any of my relatives, you can be sure I wouldn’t be happy about their choices as well.

1 minute ago, Pears said:

People needlessly freaked out last year thinking Boeser was hiding an injury because he had his towel over his shoulder/chest so please, don’t act like this fan base doesn’t overreact to the littlest things. 

Two very different things mate

How long has he been in the league now?  At what point do you say he is no longer young anymore?  Look I’m rooting for this kid.  I want Jake to be part of our team moving forward.  I didn’t pay much attention or care about what he did in the past but we are in a pandemic right now and clubbing is not a good choice to make.  And FYI, if this had been any of my relatives, you can be sure I wouldn’t be happy about their choices as well.

4 or 5 years?

I probably didn’t really grow up and stop partying like an idiot till I was 26.

Im rooting for him too. He made a poor decision and I never discredited that. But it’s ignorant to expect the world of everyone on the team. Someone is bound to slip up somewhere 

7 minutes ago, Pears said:

But still proves the point of Canucks players being monitored by their fans so much more than any other team in this league. 

Not sure you can make that claim.  Are we passionate fans?  Sure.  Any more so than Montreal or Toronto?  Hard to say.  I generally find the fan base here to be supportive of its players unless that player does something to lose their support.  Pretty cut and dry.  Normally I really dont care what a player does in his own personal time.  When I see them away from the game, I’m not one to run up to them to ask for an autograph.  I generally leave them alone.  But again this is a pandemic we are in.  Not the time to be clubbing no matter who you are.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

4 or 5 years?

I probably didn’t really grow up and stop partying like an idiot till I was 26.

Im rooting for him too. He made a poor decision and I never discredited that. But it’s ignorant to expect the world of everyone on the team. Someone is bound to slip up somewhere 

He is a good kid overall that likes to have fun.  Not a cancer in the dressing room like some players are.  But now is not the time (my apologies to dr. Henry).  I’m not going to hold this against him but he does have to realize that he will get flak for this.

• Cheers 1