The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Virtanen showing immaturity once again.

Rate this topic

cuporbust

11 hours ago, DADDYROCK said:

Man am I ever glad they didn't have cameras everywhere and social media hypocrites to give their two cents worth when I was growing up.I would have gone VIRAL in a heartbeat.

Seriously,people in glass houses shouldn't throw rocks.If you delve into some of these critics lives they are flawed humans like the rest of us.

At first I agreed....I,  too, had a wild and crazy youth.  The difference is there wasn't a pandemic so that really matters.

I do hate people doing it this way....pictures and commentary on social media.  But if it outs it and protects others, it's served a purpose.  If it's just "to hate", then not so much.  I feel that we all have a right to know if those around us are following guidelines that protect us or could put us at risk.  So there's that aspect of things.

It's tough for young people right now...I get it.  I can't imagine that kids had to give up grad this year...but...."it is what it is".  There are people in care homes who haven't seen loved ones to this day...so it's just that the world is a different place right now and we have to adjust for that.  Until it's "over" (and it's not).

• Thanks 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

I think @debluvscanuckssaid it very well.  Yes, he absolutely can do what he did.  It's sketchy legal in that there is some question over whether the "nightclubs" are opening the way they are expected to.  Yes, he's 23.  However, he's also a professional athlete who has a higher profile than the average joe.  His actions will be held to a higher standard.  In this city because he's a local kid and was drafted high (perhaps higher than he should have been) he is viewed with almost star status.  

As a fan, I expect professional athletes to largely behave as role models in the community.  Sometimes Jake has been seen as that, when he's out and about doing good things.  Unfortunately, he is also often found out and about doing questionable things that cancel out the good.  Filming yourself while driving - not smart.  Being in a nightclub atmosphere during a pandemic - not smart.  He's human, he's young, I guess we need to stop looking to him for any sort of leadership.  He doesn't seem to make the connection that how he behaves in the community WILL impact his on ice persona and his next contract.  Every misstep moves him up the trade bait ladder and reduces potential income.  He's not so talented that he can't be replaced.  

• Cheers 1

If you need to go out clubbing at least wear a mask, it wont kill him. NHL players need to be more cautious that the general public as the spread of the virus to teammates could result in the lost of 100 millions of dollars in revenue for the league and millions of salaries for players if they can not return to play safely. 

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

If people really have a problem with this then write your government officials. That’s who your beef is with. 

Virtanen wasn’t doing anything that Dr.Henry or the NHL has said are against the rules during this phase.

If you have a problem with it simply because it’s Virtanen, then you should check your bias.

Not true...they've said, all along, wear a mask when social distancing isn't possible.

8 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Optics certainly aren't good. But I tend to agree its being blown out of proportion as Virtanen is allowed to do this.

Do I think he still has some growing up too do? Of course. He's 23, and a star (fame-wise) in his hometown, its to be expected in all honesty. I'm sure Brock Boeser was out on his boat, on the lake, with his friends. I'm sure precise social distancing & mask wearing isn't being followed there and no one's raised that as an issue. 

If you wanna talk bigger picture re-Virtanen; maybe being here & having all the notoriety is holding him back from being as good as he could be? I have time for that idea, but I don't like coming down on him for being a normal 23 year old when he's within his right to do what he was doing. 

Nailed it, especially bolded.

8 hours ago, thundernuts said:

Unless the issue is that he exposed himself to Covid while at the nightclub.  He could show up to camp in shape, yet utwittingly wipe the entire team out, and possibly put an end to the playoffs.  

He gets tested prior to joining the team so it's a non issue

8 hours ago, Pears said:

This wouldn’t even have been heard about if Virtanen was on literally any other team. Only an “issue” because it’s Vancouver and Virtanen. 

yup. I wonder what the reaction would be if it was Boeser.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Not true...they've said, all along, wear a mask when social distancing isn't possible.

They’ve suggested, not passed it into law. 

Go to any bar or restaurant downtown right now and very few are wearing masks when out.

Again if people have a problem with the rules, contact your government officials.

• Vintage 1

8 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

He desperately needs to be wifed up.

Would be a bad move on his part, would be divorced within a few years, probably have knocked the chick up and be saying good bye to a nice chunk of his $ for quite some time.

If I was an athlete I would focus on my sport, have a GREAT time but not tie myself down at a young age. Some athletes do it like Bo and date 1 chick and get married but that is an old school approach like our parents or grand parents did in my opinion.

Is Sid the Kid tied down yet...maybe he is but never hear about it but I also don't follow the Penguins either.

Jake in theory "should" be smarter than to go out to a night club just before things resume but he chose not too. If I was in his position I would have been chomping at the bit to get back to the arena, show your committed and kept yourself in shape during Covid....I mean after all he is hoping for a lucrative contract I would assume so to get that you need to perform once hockey is back and show your commitment. What he chose to do earlier this weak was not wise on his part but you can't control what someone is going to do 24/7.

He might be trade bait going forward who knows...just hope he doesn't test positive so he can train with the rest of the boys right away, here's to hoping he has a big impact vs Minnesota!

16 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

If you need to go out clubbing at least wear a mask, it wont kill him. NHL players need to be more cautious that the general public as the spread of the virus to teammates could result in the lost of 100 millions of dollars in revenue for the league and millions of salaries for players if they can not return to play safely. 

Actually NHL players will be tested daily and before any contact with teammates. 

So he is less likely to spread it to teammates than the general public would be to coworkers.

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I think fans put him under the microscope because of his draft position. 

This is 100% true, I mean he was selected very high and has shown good signs of improving this year but still far from where we would have hoped he would be. The pressure of playing at home weighs on him I am sure, but he is still young and maybe he needs to realize he needs to be 100% dedicated basically all year to getting better and trying to improve.

I have worked for a decent amount of NHL players, they do let loose and party during the off season but the next day after a hard night they would still get back on the road bike or hit the gym hard no matter how they felt. I mean, they wanted new bigger contracts so if you want the life of luxury for the rest of your time on earth that's the kind of dedication you need to have in my opinion.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

If people really have a problem with this then write your government officials. That’s who your beef is with. 

Virtanen wasn’t doing anything that Dr.Henry or the NHL has said are against the rules during this phase.

If you have a problem with it simply because it’s Virtanen, then you should check your bias.

Dr. Henry said to still take precautions, use a mask when you are out and  distance yourself from others. in what part of the video is Jake using his head, knowing he is going to be practicing and the team is trying to get running, to me this is selfish Jake showing again!!! 

54 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Nailed it, especially bolded.

He gets tested prior to joining the team so it's a non issue

yup. I wonder what the reaction would be if it was Boeser.

Hughes goes to eat at restaurants that can be pretty packed at times but you don’t hear any uproar over it. 

15 minutes ago, Bitter Melon said:

Clearly every player should just be put into storage when not playing/training.

Clearly and they should wear masks and practice safe social distancing while on the ice when the NHL returns, its the only way we will ''flatten this curve.''

3 hours ago, canuktravella said:

tre mac and guntrix no offense but  people have lives and can do as they please  they arent here to be your lil slaves all these covid people spewing  rules and stuff going to a bar is no different than going to a grocery store or restaurant. If it wasnt safe they wouldnt be open we arent the states where covid is outta control id worry more about  alaskans vacationing in bc than a kid having a brew at a bar  stop acting like control freaks its pathetic. 

Lol ok there, he can do what he pleases my point is if he keeps this up he won't be on the Canucks for much longer, as we speak he is getting ripped by the team.  I think Virtanen is just content on being a NHLer and nothing more which is fine for him just not with the team.  And the amount of athletes that blew thier career because of thier 'friends' is endless - Virtanen better check his priorities and quick.  

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

People are jumping on him because of his past and nothing else. If this were Boeser or Hughes no one would even bat an eye.

Virtanen brings that on himself - One of the members of 'the worst crew' ever posted that vid - smarrrrrt.  

13 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

what about the timing?  does he have a curfew or something?

Jake goes for Beer at night club with his buddies?? Honestly what is so wrong with this? People are in restaurant eat and having drinks inside and on patio's its okay...Jake is not doing drugs or being a drunk.. Come on people..

I have no problem Jake having a few beers with his friends at 23 years old..As long as Jake is not doing drugs or being a drunk??

Its fine fine fine... He better be in hockey shape I will have a different opinion on this topic?

If Jake is out of shape I will be very negative and it might be time to package him in a trade for that # 2 D man....

Lets not jump to conclusions on Jake out having a few drinks..

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Holy crap I think I just got a massive Kassian deja vu. :unsure: