The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Virtanen showing immaturity once again.

Rate this topic

cuporbust

7 minutes ago, the grinder said:

yep you can get covid from anywhere , but the government/ worksafe has set guideline so it is apparently "safe" ,  .  Is going out to eat  at a restaurant necessary ?  no but apparently that's ok .  so if a nightclub is Supposed to be operating under the same rules , it should be ok ? right ,  just saying going to a night club or going out to a restaurant is the same risk ,  I personally wouldn't be going out to those places  but again I am not 23 year old anymore lol

I've added in the bolded part.  I have no problem with nightclubs legitimately running as a repurposed lounge or pub.  Its patrons confined to their own table with little or no movement other than to the washroom.  But there are questions whether this is what is happening.  

9 minutes ago, the grinder said:

what about the cooks and servers  are they stationary ?  aren.t they mingling with each other  ?  then delivering food to people   ?  are the servers washing their  hands after touching each plate of food? ,  what if one in the group has covid  and doesn.t know ?  Mcdonalds had a employee with covid   so is it really different  ? not really 

The concerns are not necessarily with transmissions between employees its more to do with customer to customer transmissions that's problematic.  Yes there are risks to cooks and servers etc.. but those can be easily traced.  Dr. Henry fully expects to have increased infections at restaurants etc.. but the key is that the health authorities are able to do contact tracing to manage the outbreaks.  One of the difficulties at Brandi's was that I don't believe there was a record of who was there at the time which made contact tracing more difficult.

Edited by coho8888

2 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

I've added in the bolded part.  I have no problem with nightclubs legitimately running as a repurposed lounge or pub.  Its patrons confined to their own table with little or no movement other than to the washroom.  But there are questions whether this is what is happening.  

sure like ive said before ,  there are rules and regulations for covid in place  , but whether it be at pub, club or restaurant it all the same risk ,   

1 minute ago, the grinder said:

sure like ive said before ,  there are rules and regulations for covid in place  , but whether it be at pub, club or restaurant it all the same risk ,   

Yes you are correct provided that everyone follows the rules.

I find it difficult though to sit still at a club talking only to a few friends at an isolated table and paying 12 bucks for a drink.  

Seems I am going to have an awful lot of sinners to forgive on future Sundays.

Stop hating on the V! He’s only 23, a little dumb, but can’t we just we just shotgun a beer and pretend like this never happened?

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, coho8888 said:

again the comparison with eating at a restaurant and Clubbing at a nightclub.  Two very different things.  Sure no guarantees of social distancing at both but not really fair to compare the two.  

Were the 4 infected at Brandi's sure they didn't have it?  Could have potentially caused a larger outbreak setting us back.  

7 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

We could well become the States if we're not careful.  It's only by doing things differently and learning from their mistakes that we will keep this thing contained.

Again....he can do as he pleases.  So can we.

And there's a difference in going to a restaurant as we all need to eat.  We don't need to club.

But ... over it.  Those who don't really get the magnitude of this virus likely won't but it's sad that that could jeopardize the rest of us.

The population density will be pretty similar inside a restaurant or a club, as would be the risk level.

Like Quinn, I don't really cook, so I have been buying ready-to-eat and ready-to-cook meals from the supermarkets and getting takeout when I feel like eating restaurant food. Whether it is alcohol or food, I choose to bring it home (or outside) to consume.

There is no significant difference between Quinn eating in a restaurant and Jake drinking in a (density limited) club. Both carry some risk, neither is necessary, but apparently it is always ok to vilify Jake, while Quinn is too popular to trash. While I personally choose not to eat or drink in an enclosed space with a bunch of other people, I am certainly not going to single out one of them to criticize for doing something that is completely legal.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

The population density will be pretty similar inside a restaurant or a club, as would be the risk level.

Like Quinn, I don't really cook, so I have been buying ready-to-eat and ready-to-cook meals from the supermarkets and getting takeout when I feel like eating restaurant food. Whether it is alcohol or food, I choose to bring it home (or outside) to consume.

There is no significant difference between Quinn eating in a restaurant and Jake drinking in a (density limited) club. Both carry some risk, neither is necessary, but apparently it is always ok to vilify Jake, while Quinn is too popular to trash. While I personally choose not to eat or drink in an enclosed space with a bunch of other people, I am certainly not going to single out one of them to criticize for doing something that is completely legal.

I think you missed one important point.....eating is a necessity, drinking/clubbing is not.  Legal, sure....but morally we all have a responsibility to take measures to avoid spreading this thing around if possible.  It's not just Jake...I think everyone hitting the bar at this point is selfish.  It's not about "popularity" ... ftr, I like Jake as much as Quinn.  He's a favourite of mine and that won't change.  I just think it was a dumb decision at this stage in the game and in knowing that he'll be joining his team soon enough.  Hockey should be the priority for all of these guys at this point...if not, there are plenty of others working their butts off to get in to the line up.  Time to face forward and focus on easing back into things as safely as possible.  People whine about Jake's deployment...maybe it's partly due to commitment and dedication?  I have no idea, but guys that aren't all in and team first likely don't fare as well as others. 

But we're blowing this up and the team will handle it and move past it.  If this is part of Jake's deal they'll figure that out soon enough.

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

Honestly think the team should be doing more to help guys like Hughes eat right; this is one area where I miss Gillis.  Lots of arena food staff currently laid off who could get Hughes whatever he needs.

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

I think you missed one important point.....eating is a necessity, drinking/clubbing is not.  Legal, sure....but morally we all have a responsibility to take measures to avoid spreading this thing around if possible.  It's not just Jake...I think everyone hitting the bar at this point is selfish.  It's not about "popularity" ... ftr, I like Jake as much as Quinn.  He's a favourite of mine and that won't change.  I just think it was a dumb decision at this stage in the game and in knowing that he'll be joining his team soon enough.  Hockey should be the priority for all of these guys at this point...if not, there are plenty of others working their butts off to get in to the line up.  Time to face forward and focus on easing back into things as safely as possible.

I think you missed one important point. Eating in a restaurant is no more a necessity than is drinking in a club.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

I think you missed one important point. Eating in a restaurant is no more a necessity than is drinking in a club.

Some times it's a matter of nothing in the house and you have to go out to get food anyway.  Line up at the grocery store or grab a bite.  

It's necessary to eat and restaurants provide that service.  Drinking in a a club is never a matter of sustenance.

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

Great post buddy, I seen video of Quinn Hughes saying he will go out to eat as he does not cook much at home?? Oh no Quinn Hughes is going out for dinner and drinks at a restaurant ?? Oh I see it's different because its not a night club????

Come on people lots of people are going out and having dinner and drinks? Just have to use caution and keep distance..

This Jake Virtanen gossip is awful, poor young man is just going out sitting in corner with buddies having a few laughs ?

Cannot believe the silly posts on this site..

Please stop if Jake Virtanen comes to camp out of shape then we can talk about issues that are not right..

But posting silly things that Jake is out at some night club is not being a criminal...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Some times it's a matter of nothing in the house and you have to go out to get food anyway.  Line up at the grocery store or grab a bite.  

It's necessary to eat and restaurants provide that service.  Drinking in a a club is never a matter of sustenance.

If you have nothing in your house you can order food and get it delivered. The idea that going out to a restaurant is okay but a bar is not seems pretty double standard-ish. Sorry for a lack of a better word. There's always an option to just stay cooped up. We all go out for reasons that aren't deemed 100% necessary, or at least I imagine most of us do.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

As I said, like Quinn, I don't cook. While I eat restaurant food frequently, I have not eaten inside a restaurant for months. While eating is necessary, eating inside a restaurant is not necessary, as we have all found over the last few months. I am not defending drinking in a club; personally I barely drink, and haven't been inside a club for decades. But there is no difference; neither is necessary. Jake wasn't doing anything worse than Quinn was.

16 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

If you have nothing in your house you can order food and get it delivered. The idea that going out to a restaurant is okay but a bar is not seems pretty double standard-ish. Sorry for a lack of a better word. There's always an option to just stay cooped up. We all go out for reasons that aren't deemed 100% necessary, or at least I imagine most of us do.

I know I certainly do. I have been to the beach dozens of times this year, getting sunlight, fresh ocean air and exercise, which I am sure many people would deem to be unnecessary. If our beaches had been shut down as they were in many places, I might not have survived the spring.

Jake is a favourite of mine, either way.  

I think he has HUGE potential but perhaps this is just an example of how, as a young guy, his priorities maybe aren't completely focused on hockey in a live, breathe, eat, sleep it way?  Maybe there is a bit of immaturity in the big picture of it all?  Hey look, I don't blame a young guy for wanting to lead a "normal" life but hockey at this level requires dedication, commitment and discipline.  Just as Zack found out, it's hard to have it both ways.  To lead the party life and also be at the top of your game.  Some can/do, sure.  But it's definitely more advantageous to be "all in" when you're playing at this level and if you truly want to be the best, you have to make sacrifices.  Or...you can dabble.  I mean, Petey's out there honing his craft...if a guy like him feels the need to always work harder to get better, it's a good example to draw from.  Jake is making strides in his game but could he progress more/quicker if he adopts an all in mentality?  Joins his team rather than hanging with his "crew"? 

I want him to be awesome out there and he's on the cusp...would hate to see him distracted as he shoots for the stars.  Get on it, Jake...set your eyes on the prize.   Then celebrate...in due time.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

I know I certainly do. I have been to the beach dozens of times this year, getting sunlight, fresh ocean air and exercise, which I am sure many people would deem to be unnecessary. If our beaches had been shut down as they were in many places, I might not have survived the spring.

The beach is outdoors...it's a much safer environment overall.

I cant believe some of you. Lay off Jake.

We all go to grocery stores and breath the same air. Gtfoh!

This nanny state covid has created is more deadly than the virus. I never wear a mask, I dont social distance and I think this is all a joke to be honest.

Hate on me, lay off Jake or like others have said. Free agents arent going to want to play here in snowflake city.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

I cant believe some of you. Lay off Jake.

We all go to grocery stores and breath the same air. Gtfoh!

This nanny state covid has created is more deadly than the virus. I never wear a mask, I dont social distance and I think this is all a joke to be honest.

Hate on me, lay off Jake or like others have said. Free agents arent going to want to play here in snowflake city.

We have been very luck in all of BC since the very beginning. I sure hope they don't make masks mandatory...that would be very annoying. I could understand if we had a mega outbreak but I think like I have all along that we will be quite good throughout this whole pandemic, some blips along the way but nothing major.

For you to say you don't social distance and that this whole thing is a joke...well that is just plain stupid. I am sure you would be singing a different tune in the off chance that you contracted this virus.

But, my not so smart brain tells me you fall in the "Millenial" category. Almost all the younger people don't seem to care. Even middle aged and seniors to be honest can be seen quite often not staying 6ft apart when in lines and they almost never use the provided sanitizer at stores where I have been. That is just silly to not take those precautions...regardless of age.

I think for posters like yourself, you should just avoid threads involving Covid type talk. It is a sensitive subject for many and its meaningless to spew words like "I don't social distance or this is all a joke"... Maybe when someone you know contracts it and you see what it can do to you and we all have ZERO clue what the long term health issues will be if you do contract it, regardless of the severity.